Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 hours!)

:siren:NASCAR HAS ENDED CARL LONG'S SUSPENSION FROM CUP:siren: After eight loving years he's gonna race this weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Peanut President posted:

:siren:NASCAR HAS ENDED CARL LONG'S SUSPENSION FROM CUP:siren: After eight loving years he's gonna race this weekend!

Our long Grand National nightmare is over.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Please use the same engine from eight years ago.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/sportsemmys/status/862089855903428610

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Long Live Souvenir Haulers:

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/862108182885408768

quote:

While track operating company International Speedway Corp. said sales per capita were up 6 percent in 2016 using the superstore model, Fanatics Retail President Ross Tannenbaum said the tent sat empty during the races and the company needed to create a model that increased sales inside the gates.

It sounds like this is something NASCAR/Fanatics based off the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB/CFB/MLS...except there aren't TV timeouts/intermissions/isn't halftime. :downsbravo:

It's like Daytona Rising featuring social areas they seemed to fully intend on people using during the race as opposed to actually watching the race.

Peanut President posted:

I sure hope that learned him about using used engines in the undercard race for The Winston. That'll teach him to mess with our car. :argh:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Aw I like the tents

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

kidcoelacanth posted:

Aw I like the tents

Functionally, the tents are better because you can at least handle items without having someone 5 feet above you having to pass them down after waiting in line. I snagged a cool Gordon hat on clearance at Daytona last July I might have missed in the trailer.

In the end, they apparently have neither the sentimental value nor flash of the haulers. I don't know what the hell they expected in terms of people going outside the gates during the race to buy merch, though. Maybe that comes from 20 years of conditioning myself to buy it before the race starts if I really want it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

It's nice Nascar doesn't even realize what fans do during a race. Like you get to the track a few hours early and bullshit around outside.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

dentist toy box posted:

It's nice Nascar doesn't even realize what fans do during a race.

Well they're certainly not sitting in the stands.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Quantrill posted:

Please use the same engine from eight years ago.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if you can't replace an engine block that worn out perhaps you have no business in top level auto racing

it's like saying a sports team is so broke they can't afford cleats so they play barefoot

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Don't race it if you can't afford to replace it?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

dentist toy box posted:

It's nice Nascar doesn't even realize what fans do during a race. Like you get to the track a few hours early and bullshit around outside.

I was surprised, and yet not at all, by the attempted "people are going to go outside and buy things during the race" business strategy. You could cut Fanatics a little bit of slack seeing as they're still relatively new to NASCAR, but there was a template in place they had to have observed from ISC/Americrown/Action Performance when they knew they were taking over which they could've tried to improve (and sort of did).

Like I posted before, I don't get the notion that people are going to go do social things or mill around during a race if you're there unless they're assuming the live, at-track experience even involves "watch part of the race, come back for the finish" these days, at which point the question becomes "Why did you drop $100+ for a ticket?".

Slickdrac posted:

Well they're certainly not sitting in the stands.

:thurman:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Norns posted:

Don't race it if you can't afford to replace it?

that's the going thought

I mean, I like plucky upstarts as much as the next guy but I'm also not gonna feel bad for a dude with his pockets turned out and a sad face standing next to a quarter million dollars worth of race car and hauler

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Peanut President posted:

They must be worried about car counts.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if you can't replace an engine block that worn out perhaps you have no business in top level auto racing

it's like saying a sports team is so broke they can't afford cleats so they play barefoot

The thing with Long was he was running a busted engine and got a 250 thousand dollar fine, but when Ray Evernham ran a car that got the entire rule book changed he got a pat on the back and a "don't run this car again" memo.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Also since when is NASCAR a top level racing series?

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Peanut President posted:

Also since when is NASCAR a top level racing series?

Hoo hah! :grin:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Peanut President posted:

The thing with Long was he was running a busted engine and got a 250 thousand dollar fine, but when Ray Evernham ran a car that got the entire rule book changed he got a pat on the back and a "don't run this car again" memo.

I mean I'm probably the biggest Smokey Yunick fan in this thread so whipping out the ole "well what about that rules loophole car that cost a bajillion dollars?" line might not be the strategy to go with.

There are three things in racing that you absolutely do not gently caress with, and that's the engine, tires and fuel. If found loving with those rules, intentionally or not, the wrath of god will come down on you. That's not a NASCAR exclusive and it's as old as racing itself.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
here's another law of racing: if you're a star, the wrath of god will not come down on you. if you aren't a star, it will.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

I mean I'm probably the biggest Smokey Yunick fan in this thread so whipping out the ole "well what about that rules loophole car that cost a bajillion dollars?" line might not be the strategy to go with.

There are three things in racing that you absolutely do not gently caress with, and that's the engine, tires and fuel. If found loving with those rules, intentionally or not, the wrath of god will come down on you. That's not a NASCAR exclusive and it's as old as racing itself.

That's the reason why for LeMons and Chump Car they specifically exclude tires, wheels, brakes, and the fuel system from the 500 dollar limits. The engine is not, but that's also part of the appeal of those series.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Carl Long's penalty looks that much more absurd when you look at his whole weekend back in May 2009.

He blew his first engine on a mock qualifying run. Rain washed out qualifying, and when the field was set by qualifying draw, Long drew outside-pole (next to Kirk Shelmerdine!). Only then did the "illegal" motor go in, a motor prepared by Evernham's Dodge team. The engine change sent Long to the rear, where he caved in the nose after 4 laps and blew this second engine in a plume of smoke.

So, to review, Long was penalized for an engine he didn't build which was the second one he blew in two days, leaving him last in a qualifier for a non-points race.

EDIT: And that's not even touching the fact he was an owner-driver running a paint scheme paying homage to one of his first cars. Running that scheme again this Saturday is a :master:

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 11, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
To be clear, it's not the idea that NASCAR wouldn't penalize anyone for a engine block that's out of spec, it's the idea that if by some mistake at the shop, bad CNC, outright cheating, or whatever, Joey Logano rode in qualifying with an engine that was 5cc too large, NASCAR would also supend him for like a decade as they did Carl Long. I'm almost positive sponsors would flip the gently caress out.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

VikingSkull posted:

This explains like zero penalties NASCAR has handed out for technical infractions.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I violated the rules of NASCAR and will never have a child named Rusty.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah good one. Show me where Michael Waltrip was banned for a decade when he ran fuel additives, or when DW got a quarter million fine when he hosed with the fuel tank 2 or 3 times.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Carl Long wasn't banned, he was fined and couldn't afford to pay the fine

reverting back to my first point, don't be a broke rear end and try and run Cup, it's really dumb

also Michael got fined for the oxidizer and loving with a fuel tank is not the same as loving with the fuel

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

Carl Long wasn't banned, he was fined and couldn't afford to pay the fine

reverting back to my first point, don't be a broke rear end and try and run Cup, it's really dumb

also Michael got fined for the oxidizer and loving with a fuel tank is not the same as loving with the fuel

Oh so the rules matter except when they don't. Glad to see Brian France has an account.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ohh I absolutely love when teams gently caress with the rules. Anyone got a link to a good writeup of DWs fuel tank fuckery?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Peanut President posted:

Oh so the rules matter except when they don't. Glad to see Brian France has an account.

you post about NASCAR on Facebook a lot, don't you

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I moderate a large NASCAR group on Facebook and

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

oh you're the guy who came up with the charter system

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Its a thread rule that one poster must be indoctrinated by NASCAR at a time. Now that KidC has broken the Brian France brain-grip it looks like its viking's turn.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Feels Villeneuve posted:

oh you're the guy who came up with the charter system

During the last season or two of Darrel Waltrip's racing career, I remember him being interviewed on pit road about recent changes to NASCAR. I don't recall what he was talking about specifically (COT probably) but I clearly remember him being asked about what he thought the next big future innovation in NASCAR ought to be.

"Franchising." Selling guaranteed starting spots to teams/drivers/owners for the Cup series.

So it's DW's fault.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

NASCAR made Carl Long remove his sponsor logos from the car.

https://twitter.com/jayski/status/863181826688417792

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Elitist Bitch posted:

NASCAR made Carl Long remove his sponsor logos from the car.

https://twitter.com/jayski/status/863181826688417792

*raucous booing*

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

probably a bad idea long-term to be turning down weed sponsorships...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Not if loving Jeff Sessions has his way!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Reminder that only injecting one marajuana is enough to make you jump in front of a sprint car.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dentist toy box posted:

Reminder that only injecting one marajuana is enough to make you jump in front of a sprint car.

Strong post avatar combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Uncle Jam posted:

Its a thread rule that one poster must be indoctrinated by NASCAR at a time. Now that KidC has broken the Brian France brain-grip it looks like its viking's turn.

don't look at me I've barely watched a lap of racing all year

• Locked thread