Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Elias_Maluco posted:

Probably a dumb question, but how impossible would be to have a modern self-learning AI to learn how to play a game like this? So we could play against it like a multiplayer bot

Using something like Universe AI, which (if I understood it correctly) is supposed to be capable of playing Alpha Centauri: https://blog.openai.com/universe/

I think they copied trader movement logic for everything, including choosing cities to attack and that's why the computer is so dumb at attacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The White Dragon posted:

i'm gonna do this, i don't why i didn't think of it. it sounds exactly like the kind of thing i would do.

IIRC you have to be friendly enough with your giftees for them to allow open borders, so you can walk the gift units onto their territory. Managing friendliness is the main challenge of this strategy. It adds a little depth to the game.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Gyshall posted:

basically the entire executable freezes (to the point where you get "not responding...") on windows if you have barbarians turned on. It adds about 40 seconds to the "End Turn" phase too.

Maybe don't play Civ6 on a potato...?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Aerdan posted:

Maybe don't play Civ6 on a potato...?

Eh, I'm on an i7/16GB/GTX 1080. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be noticeable.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have to say that in civ 4 religion was the gamiest poo poo in the series so i find it interesting that particular game is exempt from the "gamey" accusation

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Gyshall posted:

basically the entire executable freezes (to the point where you get "not responding...") on windows if you have barbarians turned on. It adds about 40 seconds to the "End Turn" phase too.

I don't have it this bad but it is obvious that something about the barbarians are screwing with the game, especially in the early game having a visible barbarian can increase end-of-turn times from 5 seconds to like 30-40 seconds for me. A quick search of the problem also confirms that other people are seeing it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

It's mostly noticeable on huge maps.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Eh, I'm on an i7/16GB/GTX 1080. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be noticeable.
That's better than my computer but I don't have those extreme lag freezes. Weird.

But I never play above normal sized maps because the loading time on those is too long as it is. :v:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I enjoy playing on huge maps. But in my current game, the turn times have increased to about 3 minutes now and they're still rising.

I always play this game while doing something else, like watching youtube or reading. Which is a very special way of playing a game. If it was any other game, I probably wouldn't tolerate this.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

rabidsquid posted:

i have to say that in civ 4 religion was the gamiest poo poo in the series so i find it interesting that particular game is exempt from the "gamey" accusation

Because how it worked made sense and felt thematic. It didn't feel like punishing you for certain things.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Poil posted:

That's better than my computer but I don't have those extreme lag freezes. Weird.

But I never play above normal sized maps because the loading time on those is too long as it is. :v:

yeah mostly on continents I see it as most pronounced. Fractal/islands not so much, but I like continents/pangea, dammit!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah I like huge/continent style maps and the lag is killer with barbarians on. This has been in the game for weeks now, really lame they haven't patched it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Well I'm playing on one of those YnAMP giant Earth TSL maps with barbarians and city-states on and I didn't notice any lag going on (besides the usual wait for all 23 civs doing their moves). And I play on a mediocre i5 low power CPU with a GeForce 940MX and 8GB RAM. :shrug:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

According to a whole bunch of rumours on civFanatics, the new African civ will be Carthage?

I hope not, I'd like it to be a more southern civ, so it can fill out the African continent on Earth maps.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

John F Bennett posted:

According to a whole bunch of rumours on civFanatics, the new African civ will be Carthage?

I hope not, I'd like it to be a more southern civ, so it can fill out the African continent on Earth maps.

Does Carthage really count as an African civ? Another ancient world north african one isn't great!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Carthage owned in Civ 5 so I hope so.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Gyshall posted:

Carthage owned in Civ 5 so I hope so.

Are you alright, dude? You feeling good?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

They did have those mountaineering elephants, though.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sorry to poo poo up this thread with PYDT stuff, but I'm still locked from replying in the Spring Goon Game thread:

My father-in-law is on his deathbed, and there's a distinct possibility I'll have to fly to Indiana for the funeral soon, which may cause intermittent delays in my turns. Just a heads-up.

And congrats, markus_cz! Have fun this weekend.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Krazyface posted:

Are you alright, dude? You feeling good?

Carthage was awesome when they were first released, then they lost out when some of the harbor bonuses got moved to lighthouse.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I would love to have Carthage eventually, since they are iconic. Songhai was great. I would also love to see Kush or Aksum.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm still hoping for Mali.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

I'm still hoping for Mali.

Mali would also be great.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm finding Civ6 just isn't much fun now that I've fixed the crashing issues. I play Civ to build and relax in peace and make a neat-looking empire. It's one thing I adore Beyond Earth for. In 6, everyone is so incredibly homicidal and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to stop it even on the easiest difficulty. Barbarians show up to pillage outlying improvements and districts every two or three turns, and every time I mount an expedition to wipe out their camp another two spawn in the fog of war in areas I previously cleared out. And then every AI will happily settle on that one tile on my continent that allows a city, then ship their entire army over and declare war. Even when I'm two or three ages ahead of everyone and have a vastly superior military, it just never stops.

This poo poo isn't fun to deal with however pretty the game is. Time to go back to 5 and Beyond Earth for my relaxing empire-building needs.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

My favorite thing is how every AI will constantly spam surprise wars on you and then denounce you as a warmonger for fighting back.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or, in that particular game, Gorgo calling me a wimp for not refusing to surrender anything in wars. When I was by myself on an island and she was the first civilization I'd met.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I'm finding Civ6 just isn't much fun now that I've fixed the crashing issues. I play Civ to build and relax in peace and make a neat-looking empire. It's one thing I adore Beyond Earth for. In 6, everyone is so incredibly homicidal and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to stop it even on the easiest difficulty. Barbarians show up to pillage outlying improvements and districts every two or three turns, and every time I mount an expedition to wipe out their camp another two spawn in the fog of war in areas I previously cleared out. And then every AI will happily settle on that one tile on my continent that allows a city, then ship their entire army over and declare war. Even when I'm two or three ages ahead of everyone and have a vastly superior military, it just never stops.

This poo poo isn't fun to deal with however pretty the game is. Time to go back to 5 and Beyond Earth for my relaxing empire-building needs.

Have you tried playing with barbarians off? Having the extra breathing room to build up early on might keep the rest of the AI off your back too.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SlothBear posted:

My favorite thing is how every AI will constantly spam surprise wars on you and then denounce you as a warmonger for fighting back.

Where by "fighting back" you mean "not accepting peace until you've taken back your cities and some of theirs," right?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

homullus posted:

Where by "fighting back" you mean "not accepting peace until you've taken back your cities and some of theirs," right?

And then literally as I accept peace Alexander denounces me for not being at war.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

homullus posted:

Is irrational and stupid to be hated as "warmonger" for a defensive war, even if by the end you get some of the attackers cities

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Don't forget drowning in missionaries and apostles.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Have you tried playing with barbarians off? Having the extra breathing room to build up early on might keep the rest of the AI off your back too.

That worked nicely. Until the game started crashing whenever I tried to exit again.

Both Civ6 and X-COM 2 have been hilariously unstable. Wonder if something changed at Firaxis.

Poil posted:

Don't forget drowning in missionaries and apostles.

I just stopped worrying about religion and let them run amok unless I was aiming for a religious victory. Certainly seems to make Philip happy.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The AI agendas would be way better if, instead of them being penalties or them disliking you for things, they liked you for meeting the conditions instead. So instead of Cleopatra getting annoyed and spamming you every twenty turns because your dick army isn't big enough, you can choose to build up your military might to help buddy up with her. The AI would probably be less spammy with useless poo poo and might be more genial to play against if they didn't have negative conditions to their personalities, or the ones who did were rarer to make those particular civs more belligerent to everyone anyway.

It'd also reduce the amount of spammy messages from AI annoyed that you're not spending ages catering to their weird whims. No, Harald, I'm not building a navy just to make you less annoyed. Go away.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cythereal posted:

That worked nicely. Until the game started crashing whenever I tried to exit again.

Both Civ6 and X-COM 2 have been hilariously unstable. Wonder if something changed at Firaxis.

"I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in Production" took hold.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The way I see it, agendas conflict with the "AI playing to win" thing they were supposed to be going for. Its contradictory: either Cleopatra wants to win, or she wants you to have a big army. I thing that's at least part of the reason the AI seems so crazy and irrational

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
GMG has the base game for <$30 with a coupon - I'm still hearing mixed things about the game even here, it sounds better just to wait until the packs with all the DLC/expansions come out and keep playing Civ4/5 until then?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

The way I see it, agendas conflict with the "AI playing to win" thing they were supposed to be going for. Its contradictory: either Cleopatra wants to win, or she wants you to have a big army. I thing that's at least part of the reason the AI seems so crazy and irrational

I don't think they ever meant for the AI to "play to win". With that said, the AI will pursue certain victory types (I've seen gossip messages to the effect of "So and So is pursuing a Science Victory").

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is irrational and stupid to be hated as "warmonger" for a defensive war, even if by the end you get some of the attackers cities

-Israel

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

GMG has the base game for <$30 with a coupon - I'm still hearing mixed things about the game even here, it sounds better just to wait until the packs with all the DLC/expansions come out and keep playing Civ4/5 until then?

It's worth $30. Has it's issues but still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Stalin after WWII, Bismarck after Franco-Prussian war, etc.