Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Now I don't feel so crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Womyn Capote posted:

The only moment I said to myself "wow this is really dumb" was the pac-man punch. I honestly expected a giant dong as it was forming... Everything else in the movie was cool though.
Peter made use of a different level of immaturity.. As has been said, it's a callback to the things he said he was going to make. Essentially the script gave an eight year old a giant set of legos and he made a Pac-Man out of it.

The movie did miss one gag thought. The arrow scene should have had It's Raining Men by the Weathergirls playing.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I thought of that, in the context of applauding their restraint.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Come A Little Bit Closer fits that scene much better. Also, it's a great song.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Come A Little Bit Closer has been stuck in my head, but at one point it segues into La Bamba, which wasn't even in Guardians.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Come A Little Bit Closer has been stuck in my head, but at one point it segues into La Bamba, which wasn't even in Guardians.

That's more of a Tarantino murder spree song than Gunn one.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
This movie was cathartic wish fulfillment for anyone with an absentee father.

Also on a character reaction level, dealt with that whole issue in a more mature fashion than any movie I can remember.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Also Mantis' backstory is dire in the comics according to wikipedia.

Also I wish movies would take note. This is how you insert an Asian character into your film.

Nobody would cry pandering if they were interesting and worked with the plot, but 99% of the time they're shoved in to appease international audiences and made to stand around in the background doing NOTHING (See: Kong Skull Island). Mantis was a great character and I wish there were more actual roles for Asian characters that aren't some kind of insert-mandate. I bet Asia does too.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I liked Drax in this one. I got the impression he still doesn't quite grasp humor and is overcompensating by laughing too hard at things.

I think he just caught on to the concept of humor and legitimately finds everything a maximum amount of funny. This is kind of backed when Mantis mentions she's never "felt such humor." The team snapped him out of his brooding phase and now he just legitimately finds stuff hilarious no matter how funny it is. You might kill him if you gave him a Madlib book.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 12, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Whitey posted:

I just saw this and liked it way better than the first one. It was consistently more funny and did a much better job telling the story of a surrogate family. It also looked a ton better and made better use of the supporting characters like Nebula and Yondou. Really impressed, this is the first James Gunn movie I've seen that I can say is good without reservation (admittedly I've only seen 3 total including this).

You should watch Super if you want a really funny James Gunn movie that's before Guardians. It's loving DARK as hell though, so be warned.

And I agree. There seems a 50/50 divide with Guardians 2 of people who really like it better than the first (including myself) and people who think it's not quite as good. There's good points to both movies, of course, but I thought the characters had way more meat on this time and that was more important to me than a 20 minute planet dogfight. Yondu freaking stole the show though, I'll miss him in the next one.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I liked both of them; they're really dumb but in a funny way. The latter especially is like everybody being "a-holes," it fits in.

It also brings to mind the reaction I had when I saw the original. The police lineup scene where Quill does the wind-up and raises his middle finger was censored in the trailer, and I was actually disappointed that it wasn't covered in the movie as well. Some things are funnier implied than explicit.

Yeah but "implied" only works when you're bleeping out what could conceivably a dozen or so different words and letting your mind fill in the gap. The middle finger is...pretty explicit, it's not really telling you anything your mind didn't know by censoring it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Uh, unless I'm missing something, the film version of Mantis is neither Asian nor is her actress? She's a spacebug lady

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mantis42 posted:

Uh, unless I'm missing something, the film version of Mantis is neither Asian nor is her actress? She's a spacebug lady

Her actress is half-Asian. In the movie yes, her character is an alien but in the original comics her character is actually half-Vietnamese, which is how this discussions got started.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Just saw Vol. 2, it is a bigger, more messy movie with some early pacing issues... but I might like it better than the first. I can also see why people might really dislike it because, among other things, it will make the stupidest loving joke possible one minute, and then pull off something surprising sad or dark the next. The swings in mood and tone are kind of nuts but it worked for me. Also I am not above laughing at a turd joke apparently. :v:

It's almost like Gunn knew Marvel would color grade it to kill the contrast and went apeshit with the bright saturated colors to make up for it some at the top end because lol that movie was like candy colored at times.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Blazing Ownager posted:

You should watch Super if you want a really funny James Gunn movie that's before Guardians. It's loving DARK as hell though, so be warned.

I've seen Super, I did not like it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Have you seen Defendor?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

No

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Have you seen Defendor?

Is that the one with Michael Rappaport?

e: just checked, it was with Woody Harrelson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXl64kQAvv8

looking through Rappaport's IMDB, it doesn't look like he did any indie superhero movies either, I probably had a moment of face blindness when I saw the poster for this.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 12, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ruddiger posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1303828/

Woody Harrelson

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ruddiger posted:

e: just checked, it was with Woody Harrelson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXl64kQAvv8

looking through Rappaport's IMDB, it doesn't look like he did any indie superhero movies either, I probably had a moment of face blindness when I saw the poster for this.

I think you're thinking of Special which is sort of a superhero movie in a small way.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CelticPredator posted:

I swore I saw him when the arrow was mowing down peeps. But I could've been wrong.

I saw Gunn's dad though. He was in the car during the Expansion montage.

Pretty sure the dude in the car was Gregg Henry, he had some scenes that were cut and that was the only one that survived. I thought I read that Gunn's parents were the older couple taking photos after the first time the expansion stopped.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah but "implied" only works when you're bleeping out what could conceivably a dozen or so different words and letting your mind fill in the gap. The middle finger is...pretty explicit, it's not really telling you anything your mind didn't know by censoring it.

I don't think I agree with that. I find "a-holes" funnier than "assholes" for example. It's using the crassness for humor, but at the same time making fun of it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The joke, to me, is in the absurdity of the machine's progressive attempts to warn about the middle finger, including it's ability to see it coming with Peter's little jack in the box bit.

The evident panic that this window has at having to pass through an obscene gesture has a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sort of vibe to it.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Sir Kodiak posted:

The joke, to me, is in the absurdity of the machine's progressive attempts to warn about the middle finger, including it's ability to see it coming with Peter's little jack in the box bit.

The evident panic that this window has at having to pass through an obscene gesture has a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sort of vibe to it.

Is that joke in the theatrical release or from a television edit? I don't remember it at all and I rewatched the film just a couple of weeks ago.
I think it's a lot funnier than him just giving them the finger (which is how I remember the scene)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yakmouth posted:

Is that joke in the theatrical release or from a television edit? I don't remember it at all and I rewatched the film just a couple of weeks ago.
I think it's a lot funnier than him just giving them the finger (which is how I remember the scene)

It's from the trailer.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's from the trailer.

They should have left it in the final cut.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yakmouth posted:

They should have left it in the final cut.

Definitely.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

"A-holes" is funny because it just kinda happens and is a funny turn of phrase. It would have been ruined if he said "except I don't mean A" afterwards. Similarly the Rocket joke where he translates Groot doesn't work because it's too wordy and unsubtle. Maybe if a ship zoomed by and made a noise that covered up his use of "fuckin" it would have been funnier.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's from the trailer.

It's also in the TV edit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I think you're thinking of Special which is sort of a superhero movie in a small way.

Ah, you're right. drat, there was a nice little wave of earnestly flawed vigilante movies coming out around that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo18EMnTY6o

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Colonel Whitey posted:

"A-holes" is funny because it just kinda happens and is a funny turn of phrase. It would have been ruined if he said "except I don't mean A" afterwards. Similarly the Rocket joke where he translates Groot doesn't work because it's too wordy and unsubtle. Maybe if a ship zoomed by and made a noise that covered up his use of "fuckin" it would have been funnier.

Rocket translating groot is one of my least favorite jokes in this series. It's bad 80s cartoon humor/logic but not even in a charming nostalgic way.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don't like it much when they curse, ever.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Rocket understanding Groot is cool but "what do you mean *insert text here* "

Is just uninspired writing around it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's very Chewbacca, but Chewbacca didn't speak nearly as much as Groot, and they often didn't bother indirectly translating him.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

kater posted:

I don't like it much when they curse, ever.

Doesn't bother me much, I do think it might have been better with the "d'ast", "flark", etc. from the comics, but I can see why they did what they did.

Given what they're supposed to be dealing with, it would bother me more if they *didn't* curse, really.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Finally got around to seeing this and I'm disappointed. Guardians 1 is my favourite Marvel movie so it's somewhat on a pedestal but it's nothing more than fine. I haven't read through this entire thread to see the consensus but my opinions seem to differ. I found Drax and Rocket grating (in fact, the core five was rather unlikeable) but I loved Mantis and Nebula's role.

The makeup and cinematography got better than the original but I already feel like we're retreading art design for the cosmic universe. I saw a lot of Doctor Strange and Ant-Man influences. It has way more imaginative potential than what we've seen.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure why, but the battle inside of Ego really gave me Star Trek 5 vibes. Not in a "wow this is terrible" way, but the face of Ego when Mantis puts him to sleep made me think of the parts of that movie where the entity at the center of the galaxy decided to jack Laurence Luckinbill's face and scream a lot.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not sure why, but the battle inside of Ego really gave me Star Trek 5 vibes. Not in a "wow this is terrible" way, but the face of Ego when Mantis puts him to sleep made me think of the parts of that movie where the entity at the center of the galaxy decided to jack Laurence Luckinbill's face and scream a lot.

I thought the same thing. STV was definitely an influence on that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

saw it again. still perturbed they didn't use the good part of "the chain" in the final battle.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well I'm mean, if you don't love it now, you will never love it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just wanted to shine a flash light on that flaw. a spot light.

• Locked thread