Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

Okay cool, so are you fine with calling Bowser "Koopa" from now on too? Because that's his name, not even King Koopa. It's just Koopa. Or, spelled phonetically from the original Japanese, "Kuppa".

how come they gave all the koopalings musical names then??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come they gave all the koopalings musical names then??

the Koopalings didn't have names until the localization of SMW3. The Japanese version just decided to use them themselves with Super Mario World.

They're also not Bowser's kids anymore, so their theme naming is all their own and doesn't reflect back on Bowser at all.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Losing the battle for custody was a far more bitter defeat for Bowser than anything Mario had ever done.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Roy is the best koopa kid

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Overbite posted:

YEAH

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

the Koopalings didn't have names until the localization of SMW3. The Japanese version just decided to use them themselves with Super Mario World.

They're also not Bowser's kids anymore, so their theme naming is all their own and doesn't reflect back on Bowser at all.

man i hate retcons.

i assumed the japanese gave them their names, they seem obsessed with naming poo poo in games after rock stars.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

eh. Bowser having only one inexplicable child and a team of quirky minions is easier to convey in the end. Mario barely has any story but this way you can have either Jr. and the Koopalings show up together, or they can appear alone, or Jr. can appear alone, without it seeming like either is missing.

It's easier for a minimalist story to portray Bowser as a father to one character instead of eight, also, which is good for such a simple series like Mario.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love the Koopa name because in Polish the word means "poop."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Overbite posted:

Ludwig but only because of his luscious locks in Mario kart 8

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Really?

cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3V3tLfSVKg&t=320s

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

I was expecting the Space Battleship Yamato, not the actual Battleship Yamato

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ludwig but only because of his luscious locks in Mario kart 8

Ludwig is in fact the best Koopa Kid.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love the Koopa name because in Polish the word means "poop."

You'll also know that it's a very fitting name if you've ever had a pet turtle before.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

New Footage of Knux in flying battery zone.

Least I think it's new?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Do we know what the special stages are yet?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm pretty sure they haven't said anything.

The more I see videos of this game the more I feel like September is about right. And that this game looks great, look at how smooth the action is there.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kulkasha posted:

Do we know what the special stages are yet?

No but we've seen both giant rings and the sparkles above goal posts. It would be cool if they had each kind of special stage from 1-3. I could do without 2's though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wonder what the blue ring box is for.

Also, I hope the special stages riff off the Knuckles Chaotix stages. Those were rad.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I'm trying to find out which emulator to use for Sonic 3 Complete, any recommendations?

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Augus posted:

The best part of 3 Complete is it lets you replace the dorky Sonic sprite from 3 with the better ones from 1 and 2

His pupils look tiny so he seems like a coke addict. The shading on his fur is weird too.

I really love the sprites from Sonic 1 and Sonic CD. The sprites in Sonic 2 look a little "taller" (longer legs) and I don't like that. Also that little "shine" which makes Sonic's skin look like rubber... :-\ Sonic 3's sprites are by far the worst of the classic tetralogy for me: weird eyes, rubber skin, huge hands... I remember when I was a kid and even then I felt there was something weird and wrong about it and I think that's the main reason why I never played 3&K as much as I played 1 and 2.

Anyway, Mania's sprites are wonderful. I kinda don't like Sonic's lighter blue color but whatever. This game looks really amazing. Instabuy.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I wonder what the blue ring box is for.

Also, I hope the special stages riff off the Knuckles Chaotix stages. Those were rad.

Blue ring box = when you get hit, instead of your many rings all flying in all directions, they get "condensed" into "giant rings" that are easier to catch and recover.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Nostalgamus posted:

I'm trying to find out which emulator to use for Sonic 3 Complete, any recommendations?

You'll probably want Retroarch or Bizhawk (both include Genesis Plus GX). Fusion is also a good option.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

When he walks under the falling platform at the end I get the sweatiest palms.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Andre Banzai posted:

I really love the sprites from Sonic 1 and Sonic CD. The sprites in Sonic 2 look a little "taller" (longer legs) and I don't like that. Also that little "shine" which makes Sonic's skin look like rubber... :-\ Sonic 3's sprites are by far the worst of the classic tetralogy for me: weird eyes, rubber skin, huge hands... I remember when I was a kid and even then I felt there was something weird and wrong about it and I think that's the main reason why I never played 3&K as much as I played 1 and 2.

Anyway, Mania's sprites are wonderful. I kinda don't like Sonic's lighter blue color but whatever. This game looks really amazing. Instabuy.

If I recall, the Sonic 2 darker shade and shine and the Sonic 3 redesign were both there to deal with the fact that they had less colours available in the palette to allocate to Sonic each time, because they had to provide permanent colours for Tails and Knuckles. Obviously this isn't an issue for Mania.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The weirdest thing about that is they *still* have Knuckles swap Sonic's palette out - and playable Knuckles has a different colour scheme to rear end in a top hat villain Knuckles.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Knuckles Did Nothing Wrong

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TFRazorsaw posted:

So what are the Koopalings? Just some strangely high ranking minions?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Stairmaster posted:

Knuckles Did Nothing Wrong
He doesn't really attack or try to hurt Sonic all that much through much of the game. I guess right at the end he goes for broke, but his back is to the wall. I mean in Mushroom Hill he like, blows a really big fan?

I still don't understand that one cut scene in Carnival Night where you go down the hole, Knux chuckles, then you just walk away?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Geostomp posted:

Basically. They're the Ginyu Force to Bowser and Junior's Frieza and King Cold.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geostomp posted:

Yeah

Though they still act and are pretty much treated like his children.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 13, 2017

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Geostomp posted:

they're his adopted children. bowser is a good and loving father

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though they still act and are pretty much treated like his children. Given that they talk now, their personalities shine through pretty well.

Nnnnnot really. Bowser doesn't ever once show them the same concern he does Junior, and in Paper Jam, they kind of treat Junior pretty badly and vice versa.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TFRazorsaw posted:

Nnnnnot really. Bowser doesn't ever once show them the same concern he does Junior, and in Paper Jam, they kind of treat Junior pretty badly and vice versa.

Favoritism is a thing.

Given that they talk now, their personalities shine through pretty well as well.

Larry is kind of hard to pin down but is stated to be the little brother of the group and contains a wide range of traits in aggression, selfishness, and laziness. And a bit of being a straight man.
Morton is a Dumb Brute.
Lemmy is a silly one, who enjoys shows and tricks.
Iggy is the crazy one.
Wendy is vain, short tempered and bossy.
Roy is loud and arrogant while being somewhat brutish.
Ludwig is the intelligent and cultured one. While also tending to think much more highly of himself then others do.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 13, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Koopalings should be Bowser's kids on account that they're cool like him and not an annoying poo poo like Bowser Jr.

Thread specific edit:
https://twitter.com/bootleg_stuff/status/863274268511137792

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 13, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm out there I

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like that the koopalings were retconned into being generals while they're still obvious kids.

Like I can imagine Miyamoto kicking down the door, screaming "YOU'RE ADOPTED" then leaving.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Miyamoto played Sonic Lost World and he thought "Hm yes I must make the koopa kids just like these fantastic Deadly Six."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i hope sonic mania does very well so the next game is all new zones.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Koopalings don't even get any dialogue until Paper Jam.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

i hope sonic mania does very well so the next game is all new zones.
Look I'm hoping for "Doesn't have Green Hill Zone" and then we'll work up from there. Maybe by Sonic Mania 3 & Chuckles they'll give us a mostly not nostalgia game.

On the other hand nearly all of that Flying Battery video was new...

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I'm okay if there are some old zones in there. Just....please no more green hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Emerald Hill has better visuals, design and music, I really don't get why it has remained untouched since its first inception.