Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Some amazing luck right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NerdPyle/status/719977329548664832

https://twitter.com/NerdPyle/status/863203884595953664

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A rare moment where the hackers get dumpstered.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/hacks4pancakes/status/863296709681721344

Just when MS thought they were out, they got pulled back in.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kind of a bandaid on the gunshot, if you ask me. They should offer a free upgrade to people who got hit by the malware, maybe like they did for Windows 10. They need to take this insecure software out of circulation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think people still running XP / Server 2003 are doing it because of the cost of the software license.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, but it's a good incentive.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
it's really not, the bespoke bullshit software they paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for that only works on xp is going to be a bigger factor always

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/mspoweruser/status/863308870688546816

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, but it's a good incentive.

The computer still running XP for the X-Ray machine software is not getting updated to Windows 10 because now it's $0 instead of $100. It is not getting upgraded for any reason, unless the reason is "the manufacturer is giving us a free version of their newest software and sending a tech out gratis to handle the migration and also they're buying a new computer and also they're compensating us heavily for the cost of our machine being out of commission while they do it"

Except the manufacturer went bust 10 years ago so that's never even a theoretical

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 13, 2017

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/863359375787925505

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
MS spent zero money on that patch because they already made it for POSready.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Double Punctuation posted:

MS spent zero money on that patch because they already made it for POSready.
yeah it was signed in early feb

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/hacks4pancakes/status/863296709681721344

Just when MS thought they were out, they got pulled back in.

So weird to see someone I know IRL quoted here.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

This is wonderful.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

flosofl posted:

So weird to see someone I know IRL quoted here.

I can't imagine the anglophone security field is that big, ultimately.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I can't imagine the anglophone security field is that big, ultimately.

...really? I would think it was most of the security field, by a large margin.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

...really? I would think it was most of the security field, by a large margin.

Nah, there's a lot of really really smart people from Eastern Europe, Asia-Pac, and Latin America in security.

The number UK/US/AUS based security people isn't tiny, but it's not a hugely populated field compared to other IT disciplines. So you tend to be at one or two removes from people in the first place.

It just never ceases to be weird to me when I see people I've worked with, been on the same softball team or been out drinking with cited on the Internet or are SME's on a news show, etc...

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Volmarias posted:

The computer still running XP for the X-Ray machine software is not getting updated to Windows 10 because now it's $0 instead of $100. It is not getting upgraded for any reason, unless the reason is "the manufacturer is giving us a free version of their newest software and sending a tech out gratis to handle the migration and also they're buying a new computer and also they're compensating us heavily for the cost of our machine being out of commission while they do it"

Except the manufacturer went bust 10 years ago so that's never even a theoretical

Which is why they need to start protecting these devices the same way they protect ICS and SCADA systems. There's no excuse to have these machines worm accessible this late in the game.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BelDin posted:

Which is why they need to start protecting these devices the same way they protect ICS and SCADA systems. There's no excuse to have these machines worm accessible this late in the game.

You're going to get sad when you learn how some people protect ICS and SCADA systems.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

You're going to get sad when you learn how some people protect ICS and SCADA systems.

Already know how some do it, and it does make me sad. Fortunately, I make a living off people that are forced to secure theirs thanks to FERC. Nobody does anything until they're forced to....

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

BelDin posted:

It's cute that you think those systems are held to a higher standard. Even NERC-CIP gives a huge amount of leeway to accept risk and do fuckall about it. This is an industry that is still largely suspicious of the concept of patching, because "things only break when you change them"

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

It's cute that you think those systems are held to a higher standard. Even NERC-CIP gives a huge amount of leeway to accept risk and do fuckall about it. This is an industry that is still largely suspicious of the concept of patching, because "things only break when you change them"

Might just be my experience in an organization with a strong governance model and senior level buy in for security. Definitely the exception, but I've seen it work.

Patches and new releases were rolled out after testing on the telecom side, and the systems guys were the only ones that needed the stick to get on board. They have the added incentive of being able to capitalize new hardware, so everything in the field that's IP based is only a few years old at the most.

Business networks and multiple SCADA networks were separated based on device classification, and nothing had direct (or even indirect in most cases) internet or internal business network access.

Device management had to be performed through a VDI system that had no local device access, copy and paste was disabled, and remote drive access was disabled as well.

So yeah, some of them get it, and was talking about those that do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flosofl posted:

Nah, there's a lot of really really smart people from Eastern Europe, Asia-Pac, and Latin America in security.

Sure, but how many of them don't speak English? If you're not in China you really need to interact with the rest of the industry if you're going to have a career, and that means English.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah, also you get the the joys of working with engineers (usually EEs) that think they can do your job because how hard could it be really and expect everything to have a 20 year lifetime.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Apparently this was sent out by someone at an Israeli company. Translation from the Hebrew follows:

"Hello,

I assume you're aware of the recent international ransomware cyber-attack.

Please see the attached file from the Cyber Bureau (an actual government agency in Israel --- AA).

Exercise Caution in Opening Attached Documents

The virus is commonly distributed via PDF files. We recommend that you avoid opening such files in the next few days. If you have the smallest suspicion, please get in touch with us, so we can confirm that the file is valid.

Thanks

Meir"

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 14, 2017

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I hope the PDF just says "What did I just tell you dumbass!"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rectus posted:

I hope the PDF just says "What did I just tell you dumbass!"

That would be funnier, but according to the person who posted this, it is actually a document from the National Cyber Bureau in the Israeli Prime Minister's Office.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:negative:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There's just no way I can win...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

This dude bought us enough time to push patches to everything we could find that was deficient and is a goddamn hero.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
The guy that registered that deactivation domain just registered it because it was a random sting they found and didn't connect it (at the time) to a function (which we now know prevents the spread). His frame of thought was in a tweet he did after the fact.

Thinking about it more that was an actual super dangerous thing to do to register a domain without knowing why it's in the malware. It could have been a flag delete all keys immediately​ to prevent recovery, a signal to begin ramp up of the spread, or a sign for the malware to constantly mutate itself to prevent pattern based AV.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 14, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EVIL Gibson posted:

The guy that registered that deactivation domain just registered it because it was a random sting they found and didn't connect it (at the time) to a function (which we now know prevents the spread). This was in a tweet he did.

Thinking about it more that was an actual super dangerous thing to do to register a domain without know why it's in the malware. It could have been a flag delete all keys immediately​ to prevent recovery, a signal to begin ramp up of the spread, or a sign for the malware to constantly mutate itself to prevent pattern based AV.

The Infosec version of the age old trope 'I wonder what this button does?'

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Meanwhile, our UK news is surveying the aftermath of the NHS computers that were held to ransom:

"This was an attack that was unprecedented in scale..."

Nope. It wasn't the size of the attack. The computer program will only attack where it can get through. If anything, the size of your holes were "unprecedented".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EVIL Gibson posted:

The guy that registered that deactivation domain just registered it because it was a random sting they found and didn't connect it (at the time) to a function (which we now know prevents the spread). His frame of thought was in a tweet he did after the fact.

Thinking about it more that was an actual super dangerous thing to do to register a domain without knowing why it's in the malware. It could have been a flag delete all keys immediately​ to prevent recovery, a signal to begin ramp up of the spread, or a sign for the malware to constantly mutate itself to prevent pattern based AV.

It wasn't a whim to register. SOP when trying to "disarm" and analyze an outbreak is to try to sinkhole the C&C, which is what MalwareTech assumed this was. You do that so you can start to a) capture any active traffic for analysis and b) disrupt the C&C functions. The fact it was unregistered just made it easier to sinkhole, and you want to jump on it quickly in case it was an oversight and the attacker could correct it at any moment.

The fact that the domain itself was the killswitch was happenstance, which MalwareTech points out in his twitter feed.

However, this is just a welcome respite, so patch your poo poo. I've heard rumblings some moron researcher has already loaded a variant of this to VT without the killswitch which means it's probably only a matter of days before a version with either a more sophisticated kill-switch or one that has no kill-switch is released.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Why's it bad that someone uploaded that? Isn't the idea to have a signature in place so all the AV can detect the killswitch-less version if someone removes that and pushes it out again?

Thats probably a stupid question but I don't know anything about the cyber wars

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

flosofl posted:

It wasn't a whim to register. SOP when trying to "disarm" and analyze an outbreak is to try to sinkhole the C&C, which is what MalwareTech assumed this was. You do that so you can start to a) capture any active traffic for analysis and b) disrupt the C&C functions. The fact it was unregistered just made it easier to sinkhole, and you want to jump on it quickly in case it was an oversight and the attacker could correct it at any moment.

The fact that the domain itself was the killswitch was happenstance, which MalwareTech points out in his twitter feed.

It's all about liability.

Read the Twitter message again. He didn't know what it did. They probably just did a strings and found the URL.

There was no reason why the dude registered the domain without knowledge of what it would do when it happened besides it wasn't registered. Heres the actual tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/863187104716685312

Thinking from a company point of view where if registering a domain did cause more damage, MalwareTech could be brought to court and be held liable for damages the moment the domain went online. It really seems out there, but lawsuits can be issued for less.

If they had enough data to show the malware would dump after seeing the domain up; sure go ahead. It was just super dumb to register it before if they spent more time looking at it.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 15, 2017

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

EVIL Gibson posted:

Read the Twitter message again. He didn't know what it did. They probably just did a strings and found the URL.

There was no reason why the dude registered the domain without knowledge of what it would do when it happened besides it wasn't registered. Heres the actual tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/863187104716685312

Thinking from a company point of view where if registering a domain did cause more damage, MalwareTech could be brought to court and be held liable for damages the moment the domain went online. It really seems out there, but lawsuits can be issued for less.

If they had enough data to show the malware would dump after seeing the domain up; sure go ahead. It was just super dumb to register it before if they spent more time looking at it.

What is the greater damage you think he could have caused ? Infected machines are toast anyway and going to be reimaged. At last count only 20 people were dumb enough to pay the ransom and they didn't get a decryption key.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Why's it bad that someone uploaded that? Isn't the idea to have a signature in place so all the AV can detect the killswitch-less version if someone removes that and pushes it out again?

Thats probably a stupid question but I don't know anything about the cyber wars
sandboxes for analysis can still spread before analysis finishes

registering the domain blind was a terrible idea, and all the worse that researchers are now encouraged to do it before ramifications are known for potential publicity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

EVIL Gibson posted:

And here's the actual writeup:

https://www.malwaretech.com/2017/05/how-to-accidentally-stop-a-global-cyber-attacks.html

quote:

Now one thing that’s important to note is the actual registration of the domain was not on a whim. My job is to look for ways we can track and potentially stop botnets (and other kinds of malware), so I’m always on the lookout to pick up unregistered malware control server (C2) domains. In fact I registered several thousand of such domains in the past year.

Our standard model goes something like this.

Look for unregistered or expired C2 domains belonging to active botnets and point it to our sinkhole (a sinkhole is a server designed to capture malicious traffic and prevent control of infected computers by the criminals who infected them).
Gather data on the geographical distribution and scale of the infections, including IP addresses, which can be used to notify victims that they’re infected and assist law enforcement.
Reverse engineer the malware and see if there are any vulnerabilities in the code which would allow us to take-over the malware/botnet and prevent the spread or malicious use, via the domain we registered.