Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

beep-beep car is go posted:

poo poo THAT'S IT!

Since I moved to my current place, my dryer "leaks" electricity. If you're wearing bare feet on the bare floor the drum and door of the dryer will give you quite a snap! I called in an electrician in, but since he had shoes on (and I wasn't there to demonstrate it) he just shrugged his shoulders and left. I "fixed" it by putting the dryer on a pallet (also helps in case the basement gets water) and putting an area rug down on the floor and wearing slippers when I dry clothes.

How do I fix it? It's a 220 plug so I'm hesitant to touch things.
There's a chance that this is a build up of static electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cartoon posted:

Yeah but isn’t that something functioning ground would take care of?

The “snaps” themselves may be harmless, but it’s still a good idea to get the ground fixed.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but isn’t that something functioning ground would take care of?

The “snaps” themselves may be harmless, but it’s still a good idea to get the ground fixed.
I'm no expert but is there any need for the inner drum of a dryer to be attached to a ground? It shouldn't be anywhere near the heater or any of the electronics. Maybe to prevent static shocks?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Cartoon posted:

this is true but if you're standing in a puddle in wet socks and the thing you're touching is also (ostensibly) properly grounded, you shouldn't exactly get blown through the wall if it's just static

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I personally would characterize standing near that crosswalk as WAY TOO loving CLOSE RUN MOTHERFUCKER

Pretty sure you think that you need to use more than paste glue to stick windows on as well, you safety nazi.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/KeUJPy5.mp4

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

there wolf posted:

It's pink and black so I guess they didn't get a chance to update the exterior since the 50's.

Found a not-good website that nonetheless has an archive of time-capsule houses that's fun to flip through. http://retrorenovation.com/category/all-about-the-era/time-capsule-homes/ Why did we ever stop putting wallpaper on the ceiling?

That white wicker furniture is straight out of my grandmother's sun room in the 70s. I can still hear the creaking as somebody got up or sat down.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

One of the switches next to the door in the master bedroom also kills power to the bathroom lights so the switches in there stop working and this is the only switch that does this.

This got lost on the last page, so here's my guess: whoever wired up the switches in the bathroom took power from master bedroom switches, but connected to the line that is switched, instead of the line that always has power. Swapping them is (usually) easy.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

NPR Journalizard posted:

Pretty sure you think that you need to use more than paste glue to stick windows on as well, you safety nazi.

I've been outed. =(

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

When you've spent all your money on curtains and can't afford a bathroom door:

Or maybe they spent it on the carpet in the other bathroom

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 14, 2017

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Is that a floor outlet in the middle of that bedroom?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tacopocalypse posted:

I think you will find it is in fact in the middle of the bathroom.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Tacopocalypse posted:

Well Jesus, man, you don't want the cord for your Intruder Mk II just strung up across the room like some kind of poor.

VVVVVVVVVV
I had to open an incognito tab and do some searching. Sadly it wasn't a part of my everyday vernacular, but now you totally bet I'm going to find ways to get people at work to look that poo poo up.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 14, 2017

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Intruder Mk II

I hoped this was going to be what I thought it was, and was not disappointed. :dong:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Well Jesus, man, you don't want the cord for your Intruder Mk II just strung up across the room like some kind of poor.

VVVVVVVVVV
I had to open an incognito tab and do some searching. Sadly it wasn't a part of my everyday vernacular, but now you totally bet I'm going to find ways to get people at work to look that poo poo up.

I don't know if it's better or worse that my GIS pulled up a fuckton of bud light-branded RC boats and one pic of what you intended.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
teledildonics.......

Probably the greatest name ever. I loving want to become a teledildonist

:nws:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teledildonics:nws:

mod edit: your tags were broken and you should feel bad

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 14, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Seems McMansions aren't exclusive to the US of A: https://www.finn.no/realestate/homes/ad.html?finnkode=95843087

I missed about a hundred pages of this thread so apologies if it was already posted

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

oh geez I was chuckling at the outdoor furniture that's only useable 3 months a year, and then I saw the Hermitage-wannabe interior

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Any room that serves a non-bathroom purpose but has bathroom facilities in it with no fixed partition is a prison cell. I don't care how you dress it up.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Youth Decay posted:

When you've spent all your money on curtains and can't afford a bathroom door:

Let's analyse that from a logistics view:

You can only use the toilet with the curtain pulled back.
Which means that you are sitting, facing the bed
Which is a double bed

So, logically speaking, that toilet is for pooping on while watching someone lie on the bed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Collateral Damage posted:

Seems McMansions aren't exclusive to the US of A: https://www.finn.no/realestate/homes/ad.html?finnkode=95843087

I missed about a hundred pages of this thread so apologies if it was already posted

I stopped counting at like 6 different sets of outside furniture, I also love that all the other nearby houses you can see are so normal and sensible.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

spog posted:

Let's analyse that from a logistics view:

Which means that you are sitting, facing the bed
Which is a double bed

So, logically speaking, that toilet is for pooping on while watching someone lie on the bed.
It's so your waiting bed partner can stare into your eyes as you poop pre-lovemaking.

The WASPiest scat fetish.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

spog posted:

I'm not sure that's true, if you follow the line of the tile across from the left curtain there's room there to sit and close it, though you would be staring straight at a curtain in front of your face.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I was counting kitchens in finnmansion and I'm not even sure how many there were. Love the contrast of the totally normal and minimist apartment on the top floor.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

I was counting kitchens in finnmansion and I'm not even sure how many there were. Love the contrast of the totally normal and minimist apartment on the top floor.

Yeah, the style switch gave me whiplash.

Also, I can't tell if the downstairs pictures have the HDR cranked up to 11, or if it just actually looks that way.

Those floors :psyduck:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Imagine cleaning this kitchen. :stonk: Who puts all those fiddly complex surfaces in a kitchen? I'm not sure a full time housekeeper would be enough to keep this house looking clean, this is a house that needs staff.

Maybe that's why it is divided into 4 apartments? The 3 normal apartments are for the staff?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Facebook Aunt posted:

Imagine cleaning this kitchen. :stonk: Who puts all those fiddly complex surfaces in a kitchen? I'm not sure a full time housekeeper would be enough to keep this house looking clean, this is a house that needs staff.

Maybe that's why it is divided into 4 apartments? The 3 normal apartments are for the staff?

Please, no one has ever used that kitchen, except maybe using the oven to bake cookies

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I bought a house! I dunno why I'm posting it here though as it's very solid throughout but in definite need of TLC just about everywhere. 3000sf multi-unit craftsman built in 1930 and is almost all original.

http://imgur.com/a/kX0qi

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

rap music posted:

I bought a house! I dunno why I'm posting it here though as it's very solid throughout but in definite need of TLC just about everywhere. 3000sf multi-unit craftsman built in 1930 and is almost all original.

Congrats! I saw a house that was unfortunately a disaster-in-the-making that was a colonial from the same era, about 4200 square feet, and which the current owners were doing a really great job slowly renovating, but they went underwater on their loan and had to sell. There was just waaaaaay too much to do for my liking (e.g., a basement that regularly flooded and would necessitate excavating to the foundation around the entire huge house, as a starter). It had a similar attic space that they renovated into a beautiful den. If you're good at renovating stuff -- I myself am a disaster -- then you could have a phenomenal home on your hands when you're done.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

rap music posted:

That is going to be gorgeous when it's restored.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

rap music posted:

I want all of that. Also, is that actually a blood spatter on the carpet? And what are the little tickets taped to the bathroom stuff?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Even tho I'm handy and willing, part of the mortgage includes having contractors come through and do a lot of renovation. They're going to be tearing out all of the wallpaper (basically the whole building is wallpapered, even the white walls downstairs), skim coating the plaster, painting, stripping paint off of all of the woodwork and staining, new gas boiler and water heater, etc. I'll still have plenty of content for this thread though!

I don't think it's blood. I do know the previous owner died in it though. :ghost:

The little tags are for winterization. It's so you know the house had all of the water pushed out of the lines so the pipes couldn't freeze and crack while it was unoccupied over the winter.

rap music fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 15, 2017

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

rap music posted:

I really love this house, good catch! Also, the wood is pretty beautiful in that house, good decision re: stripping the paint off.

What's going on with the wall at the top of the stairs photo? Just dirty drywall? And how's the garage? It looks pretty banged up from here.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 15, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

rap music posted:

Even tho I'm handy and willing, part of the mortgage includes having contractors come through and do a lot of renovation. They're going to be tearing out all of the wallpaper (basically the whole building is wallpapered, even the white walls downstairs), skim coating the plaster, painting, stripping paint off of all of the woodwork and staining, new gas boiler and water heater, etc. I'll still have plenty of content for this thread though!

I don't think it's blood. I do know the previous owner died in it though. :ghost:

The little tags are for winterization. It's so you know the house had all of the water pushed out of the lines so the pipes couldn't freeze and crack while it was unoccupied over the winter.

That old woodwork looks gorgeous when it's stained instead of painted, like in the parlor you have there. That is a poo poo-ton of carpeting to rip up and wood floors to restore, but it's going to be capital-f-fantastic. What's the basement like?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

rap music posted:

If you're already destroying the walls and everything is truly original consider a whole home re-wire+pipe. It should only add like $25k to your bill! :v:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

rap music posted:

I knew I recognized that toile wallpaper from your bathroom...my grandmother had it in her bedroom. She also had curtains, lampshades, and bedding in the same pattern. At some point I'll have to make an album of my grandparents' house because the decor was just nuts.

Silhouettes are of my and my brother when I was 9 and he was 2.

Edit: I got out my external hard drive just for you.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 15, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

at least it's well illuminated for safety

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That picture looks like a cat face wearing square glasses.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

HardDiskD posted:

I really love this house, good catch! Also, the wood is pretty beautiful in that house, good decision re: stripping the paint off.

What's going on with the wall at the top of the stairs photo? Just dirty drywall? And how's the garage? It looks pretty banged up from here.

The walls in the main stairway have this silky wallpaper with a bamboo leaf pattern. It's interesting but I think I'd rather get rid of it along with most of the rest of the wallpaper. The garage is sturdy enough but needs attention. Contractors are redoing the stucco and it has had its roof redone.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That old woodwork looks gorgeous when it's stained instead of painted, like in the parlor you have there. That is a poo poo-ton of carpeting to rip up and wood floors to restore, but it's going to be capital-f-fantastic. What's the basement like?

I'm thinking I'll leave the berber carpet in upstairs because I'm hoping to rent that space out as an apartment to help with the mortgage, and it will help protect the floors. The house also has two meters, split into upstairs and down. Basement is huge n' spooky, roughly 1400sf and I found some cool original screen doors down there. It's getting a top to bottom scrub down and an air scrubber will be run for a while. There's no water leaking in but it seems pretty humid down there.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I knew I recognized that toile wallpaper from your bathroom...my grandmother had it in her bedroom. She also had curtains, lampshades, and bedding in the same pattern. At some point I'll have to make an album of my grandparents' house because the decor was just nuts.

Silhouettes are of my and my brother when I was 9 and he was 2.

Edit: I got out my external hard drive just for you.

Awesome! The bathroom wallpaper is really the only I'm interested in preserving. I'd like to do a black and white nouveau theme in both restrooms.

rap music fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

We had a bit of LED chat a week or so ago, but I had to change out a few bulbs at work today and they all had the same interesting heat-based failure mode.

These are Philips 10 watt MR16s that were installed in recessed down-lights with open backed fixtures but up against glass lenses. They ran for about 4-5-ish years and somewhere between 18k and 23k hours (they're supposedly designed for 24,000 hours with a 3 year warranty). Obviously heat melted the bulbs' plastic lenses over 3 of the 4 LEDs (which still work fine underneath) in the same pattern for some reason. A bunch of these bulbs had to be replaced years ago because the cooling fans inside started to whine, but these fans still work and are quiet. I wonder if there's a design issue that means one LED gets better cooling. Or maybe there's a slight imbalance or failure in the regulation to the LEDs.

You can see some heat damage to the circuit board and it's components, but it seems to still work fine enough.