Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
people should learn languages the old-fashioned way: being forced to learn them at swordpoint by whichever multiethnic army has invaded your country this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't think sword-wielding tyrants cared much about what language their plebs spoke until language became associated with all the awful lovely loving Ideas like religion, citizenship, nation etc

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

pleasecallmechrist posted:

The one rule that has helped me more than anything else, and taught to me by my wife who speaks 4 is never learn a word and translate it back to your language you don't say Das Hund means dog you have to separate them otherwise you filter through your native language first you see a Hund not a Hund which means a dog

I think I sort of understand what you mean but this single sentence paragraph makes next to no sense without punctuation.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Punctuation stinks

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Anyone who claims to have learned multiple languages after the age of 16 or so is either a liar or has a significant over-estimation of their level of comprehension

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Anyone who claims to have learned multiple languages after the age of 16 or so is either a liar or has a significant over-estimation of their level of comprehension

Why?

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Impressivly demonstrated by the person making a grammatical mistake in the one word example from a language he is "near fluent" in.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Critical Period Development

Once you reach a certain part of your biological development the part of the brain that absorbs language as a process of interpreting reality shuts down. After that point, additional learned languages are developed in a completely different part of the brain. All available research of second language development pretty conclusively shows native-like proficiency in a second language is impossible if the language is learned in adulthood. Skilled and focused communication is possible over years of practice, but that is a single language and takes hours of daily immersion and study to master.

To claim the level of proficiency able to appreciate literature in a foreign language in multiple languages if you started in adulthood is solidly impossible. Usually when people say they have learned multiple languages as an adult, they really mean they have a rudimentary understanding of grammar, vocab, and syntax and use a dictionary and a lot of free time to fill in the blanks.

Second Language Development Research :eng101:

EDIT: Interesting anecdote. There are several cases of people who learned a second language as an adult suffering brain damage andlosing their first language functionality while retaining their second language functionality for this reason.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 14, 2017

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To claim the level of proficiency able to appreciate literature in a foreign language in multiple languages if you started in adulthood is solidly impossible.

nah you can do this. who cares if you can't keep up with a native speaker, you're reading

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Officer Sandvich posted:

nah you can do this. who cares if you can't keep up with a native speaker, you're reading

Reading Proust in Native French at a fifth grade level of comprehension is not really reading Proust

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I know all of that, but I'm sure you also know that the critical period theory in second language acquisition is reaaally controversial - I think most linguists would agree that extraneous modifiers (time invested in learning, nature of input) are either more or at least as important as brain function per se

I think you're conflating facts there - it stands by definition that second language speakers don't acquire a native level (the meaning of "native" is significant here - I speak English fully fluently and use it every day but wouldn't claim to have native intuition). That's not really crucial to the critical period theory as usually stated

I'm not defending that guy's knowledge of German or Mandarin (and can't say I care about that), but there's a lot of genuine polyglots around, and we all know the single most important factor in language learning: Time Invested (and I know from experience that I have not invested anywhere near enough time in my third and fourth languages)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Reading Proust in Native French at a fifth grade level of comprehension is not really reading Proust

This seems hugely dismissive of second language speakers in general

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the critical period hypothesis as it applies to virtually all areas of neurodevelopment is dying under the rising tide of evidence vis a vis adult neuroplasticity, hth

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

This seems hugely dismissive of second language speakers in general

Not so much dismissive as it is an honest assessment of the realities of high level academic reading if you are an adult second language learner.

Language is not a tool for expressing ideas, language is the system through which your brain interprets reality. Even if you know a lot of words and grammar, being an effective reader of a second language also means engaging with the unique rhetorical constructions of the language and an understanding of its inherent construction of perceived reality.

Yes, with a lot of time you can be very good at one or two languages if you start as an adult. Its how I make my money. But we are talking years of dedication and constant study. And most importantly, it also requires constant and focused guidance from a proficienct user of the language.

The myth of the intellectual polyglot who is able to master tons of languages as an adult is just that, a myth. Its also a dangerous idea that a lot of adult second language learners struggle with.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 14, 2017

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Dunno mate, that seems like a weird point to make. Billions of people around the world are bilingual by necessity (and have always been - think of a Medieval scholar writing fine Latin, probably his third language), and this talk of "fifth grade level" doesn't seem productive. Like, you're not 11 years old even if your French is poor, and the actual (theoretical) physiological limits to your proficiency are so remote that you shouldn't care about them

Also, this

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Language is not a tool for expressing ideas, language is the system through which your brain interprets reality. Even if you know a lot of words and grammar, being an effective reader of a second language also means engaging with the unique rhetorical constructions of the language and an understanding of its inherent construction of perceived reality.

is a sloppy metaphor at best, word salad at worst

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
mate i'm telling you, critical period hypothesis is controversial at its best and applying it to secondary language acquisition is even less widely accepted

here's an example of the kind of thing the literature has been saying lately

quote:

This reanalysis reveals that the specific age patterns predicted by the cph are not cross-linguistically robust. Applying the principle of parsimony, it is concluded that age patterns in second language acquisition are not governed by a critical period

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

mate i'm telling you, critical period hypothesis is controversial at its best and applying it to secondary language acquisition is even less widely accepted

here's an example of the kind of thing the literature has been saying lately

Did you seriously link a PLoS One article

EDIT: Also to avoid being dismissive, there is a difference between Critical Period Hypothesis theory in general, in second language development in general, and in reading comprehension.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 14, 2017

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I was not aware of all this psychological evidence I'm going to stop working on the language I've been learning

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Noted failure at learning the English language successfully Joseph Conrad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Officer Sandvich posted:

I was not aware of all this psychological evidence I'm going to stop working on the language I've been learning

That seems an aggressively obtuse conclusion to draw

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i don't know much about psychology or what have you, but i think we can all agree that english monoglots should perish in cleansing fire

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To claim the level of proficiency able to appreciate literature in a foreign language in multiple languages if you started in adulthood is solidly impossible.

Nonsense. I can appreciate literature in the languages I learned as an adult just fine.

Yeah I can tell there's a difference between the languages I learned as a kid and the ones I learned later on. The ones I learned as an adult come to me a bit less smoothly, I have to think more and eventually it tires me out a bit to speak in them, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a book written in them. It's more difficult, but no more than that.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Maybe if you're an idiot.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

people should learn languages the old-fashioned way: being forced to learn them at swordpoint by whichever multiethnic army has invaded your country this year.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
What languages do you speak, Mel?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ras Het posted:

On the human level, an educated society means nothing but tormenting the young: when they should be lazing in the sun, rowing the lakes picking waterlilies, watching the cranes head south over the lingonberry covered hills, hiking the snowy backlands, singing and making love, they are put in schools and colleges to learn things we mostly have no reason to know.

Pentti Linkola, Toisinajattelijan päiväkirja, 1979

I think Bernhard agrees

"The activity that goes on in schools, and especially in secondary schools, consists of constantly cramming the pupil full of putrid, useless knowledge and so turning his whole nature into the antithesis of all that is natural. The result is that whenever we have dealings with the products of such schools, we find ourselves dealing with unnatural people, whose real nature the schools have managed to destroy. Secondary schools, and, above all, grammar schools, serve only to putrefy human nature, and it is time we considered abolishing these centres of putrefaction, as in fact they should be, because it has long been obvious that they are nothing but centres for the putrefaction of human nature. They deserve to be abolished. The world would be better off if all these so-called middle schools, grammar schools, secondary schools, and so on were abolished and we were to confine education to elementary schools and universities. For elementary schools are not destructive, they do not destroy anything in a young person's nature; and universities are there for those who suited to the pursuit of learning and would be equipped fora higher education even without having attended a secondary school. Secondary schools, on the other hand, should be abolished because they bring inevitable ruin upon a large proportion of the young. Our educational system has become sick over the centuries, and the young who are forced into it are infected and become sick in their millions, with no prospect of a cure. If society wishes to change, it must change its educational system, because if it does not change, if it does not impose some restriction on itself and acquiesce to a large extent in its own abolition, it will assuredly be at an end. As for the educational system, it must be changed fundamentally. Changing a bit here and a bit there is not enough. Everything should be changed - unless we want to see the earth populated solely by unnatural people who have been destroyed through the wilful flouting of nature. And the first institutions to be abolished should be the secondary schools, in which millions of young people are placed every year to face sickness and annihilation."

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to get more fluent in Spanish since it's the most practical for me and I can easily pick out a bunch of great writers I could read and purchase easily. But if I were to try and learn another language for the literature, what would be the most rewarding? Italian? French? Russian? Other?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Belgian posted:

What languages do you speak, Mel?

he speaks English and Spanish (or at least reads in Spanish)

I read the entirety of Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle today. Obviously if I read a book in one day, practically in one sitting, then I liked it well enough, but my liking extends almost entirely to the first half. Ultimately I feel like the book was a massive waste of time. Shame, too, because the first half set up a lot of interesting stuff that I don't think played out to my liking.

Darnielle is just too obviously a novice fiction writer who wasn't ready to be published; his use of the first person and extensive out-of-scene narration are, when combined, hallmarks of amateur writing. I am not prejudiced against first person in itself, but good writing uses scenes, and Wolf in White Van was a lot of telling with not enough showing. Not enough concrete scenes where the reader is able to infer about the character from carefully chosen details. Instead, a good portion of the book is the narrator telling the reader how he lives, what he does from day to day, etc.

Big let down

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I'd like to get more fluent in Spanish since it's the most practical for me and I can easily pick out a bunch of great writers I could read and purchase easily. But if I were to try and learn another language for the literature, what would be the most rewarding? Italian? French? Russian? Other?

Russian bc you will be able to excel in our new government

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Franchescanado posted:

Most rewarding? Prob Russian, maybe Arabic or Chinese, maybe some other Far East languages b/c less gets translated from those, and they produce a lot of stuff, some of which might be good. Although there are some publishing houses in the UK/US sfounded by Arabs who do bring out a decent amount from Middle East. But you're looking at a huge time investment to get decent fluency.

Effort/reward ratio is a something else entirely. I'd say French, if you know Spanish well, or German if not. A lot gets translated from those two, however, and the quality of work tends to be decently high, I think.

and as somebody who works with translators regularly, this is a good lol

quote:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
drat Mel Mudkiper will never recover from this thorough roasting maybe David Vann is complete shite afterall

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Or perhaps David Vann is good and I am right

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
David Vann is good, but I don't have an opinion on secondary languages and neuroplasticity.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
ive been playing the new Deus Ex a lot lately and theres an entire neuroplasticity macguffin so id say im basically an expert

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
I'm a neuroscientist and although this stuff isn't at all my area I just want you to know I hate you all, just as I do every time people on the internet make grand sweeping statements about How The Brain Works based on a wikipedia article they once read, a single hastily googled citation backing them up and a couple of impressive sounding words like neuroplasticity (wow). How you feel when someone comes into the thread arguing that George R R Martin is clearly real literature and how can you say Kafka is "better" don't you know art is subjective, that is how I feel now.

For real though everyone I know with English as a second language, even if they're completely fluent and make feel like a pathetic uncultured monoglot*, it's not the same as a native speaker. Reading something serious must be a completely different experience

*because I am

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Magnus Manfist posted:

I'm a neuroscientist and although this stuff isn't at all my area I just want you to know I hate you all, just as I do every time people on the internet make grand sweeping statements about How The Brain Works based on a wikipedia article they once read, a single hastily googled citation backing them up and a couple of impressive sounding words like neuroplasticity (wow). How you feel when someone comes into the thread arguing that George R R Martin is clearly real literature and how can you say Kafka is "better" don't you know art is subjective, that is how I feel now.

For real though everyone I know with English as a second language, even if they're completely fluent and make feel like a pathetic uncultured monoglot*, it's not the same as a native speaker. Reading something serious must be a completely different experience

*because I am

It's not really. English is my second language, how do you imagine it's different?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I was going to zing you all with Nabokov but turns out he spoke English before he spoke Russian because his family was full of anglophiles

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Look here I'm a neuroscientist and here's my anecdote. It's a neuroscientist anecdote, made by me, a neuroscientist, and that's how you know it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Have you ever heard a foreign person speak they sound ridiculous. Imagine reading in that stupid accent, it can't be done.