Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I don't have any images from the same angle as the cloud, but I do have this:

Anyone have that story about the time some SR-71 pilots were going to do a low altitude fly-by and narrowly missed crashing into the spectators? Got out of it doing a full burn and gave the people one hell of a show, according to the story?

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-sr-71-blackbirds-most-spectacular-flyover-was-also-1719654907

quote:

Finally, Walter looked at me and said, ‘One hundred fifty-six knots. What did you see?’ Trying to find my voice, I stammered, ‘One hundred fifty-two.’ We sat in silence for a moment. Then Walt said, ‘Don’t ever do that to me again!’ And I never did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One of these days I'm gonna buy Sled Driver.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I will never get tired of SR-71 stories

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

35 miles a minute is such a loving obscene speed. :stare:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Looking at his gallery he does landscaping work and likes to rescue spiders when they fell trees.

What about spiders that don't fell trees?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

This is one of those things that I wish had been caught on video. drat.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jerry Cotton posted:

If there's anywhere on Earth where spiders can bring a tree down it's Australia. :colbert:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:stare:

http://i.imgur.com/iz8qXAk.mp4

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

They get selected against.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Good thing that was a cow moose instead of a bull moose, as the latter are aggressive as gently caress & dumb as hell.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That's the biggest dog I have ever seen.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

sneakyfrog posted:

I will never get tired of SR-71 stories

I love them too, but I take them with a grain of salt. Not that the Blackbird wasn't a badass aircraft, but I get the feeling that the pilots are prone to exaggeration.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I love them too, but I take them with a grain of salt. Not that the Blackbird wasn't a badass aircraft, but I get the feeling that the pilots are prone to exaggeration.

The numbers change every time Brian Shul tells the story of he and Walter putting a cocky ~*Naval Aviator *~ who called LA Center to win a dick-waving contest of requests for groundspeed checks in his place, but I think at that point, one is allowed a bit of exaggeration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7EhdaPo5W8

Do the exact numbers really matter when you're the highest fastest motherfucker short of orbit, or when you take the same bird to its opposite limits and firewall the throttles out of a near-stall on a too-low pass, surviving purely on thrust and a prayer to Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration?

Edit: swapped the video for a shittier one, but the new one has the punchline "Your equipment's better than ours."

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 14:21 on May 12, 2017

cnut
May 3, 2016

Anybody know where this is? Pretty badass!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Bourtange

cnut
May 3, 2016

Awesome, thanks, man.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cnut posted:

Anybody know where this is? Pretty badass!

I'm just going to go off the cuff with what I learned from the history channel before they became the hitler channel and then the dumb idiot channel but;

It's a fortification (probably NA, civil war era or maybe even revolutionary era) and the pointy bits are an attempt to use geometry to deflect cannon shots. Pretty futile in the end but it works in theory.

All the history nerds dogpile me now with theh specifics (please)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

syscall girl posted:

I'm just going to go off the cuff with what I learned from the history channel before they became the hitler channel and then the dumb idiot channel but;

It's a fortification (probably NA, civil war era or maybe even revolutionary era) and the pointy bits are an attempt to use geometry to deflect cannon shots. Pretty futile in the end but it works in theory.

it was a where question as opposed to what friend

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

it was a where question as opposed to what friend

Yeah I clicked on the link above my post and yeah.

HOWEVER, that kind of architecture is really cool and interesting. Whether it's bad-rear end or not is debatable because the bomb-making fellas kind of outdid the fortification guys.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

syscall girl posted:

Whether it's bad-rear end or not is debatable because the bomb-making fellas kind of outdid the fortification guys.

There's a certain asymmetry in that particular competition.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

There's a certain asymmetry in that particular competition.

Reading about the endgame of the fortifications in Colorado or wherever that you see in War Games or Stargate and the Russian nuke targets (which may or may not have ended up where they wanted but different debate v0v) you'd want to be on Air Force One rather than trying to hide under some dirt.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

syscall girl posted:

I thought it was less about deflecting incoming fire and more about the radial points allowing the fort to fire anywhere in the area surrounding the fort.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dienes posted:

I thought it was less about deflecting incoming fire and more about the radial points allowing the fort to fire anywhere in the area surrounding the fort.

I started reading the link to the actual structure in that picture and it looked like it was that and having non-perpendicular walls that would deflect vertically as well as the layout catching a few just from the sharp edges.

Either way the geometry didn't change the fact that cannons could take a part a building designed to be secure from archers and rams and maybe a trebuchet that would catch fire after siege day 3 somehow. And when you get a series of ICBMs hitting one spot on the globe over and over again well

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm not sure why you guys are sperging out about a Citadel tile from Civ 5.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
And what's the big deal with the Eiffel tower? It's just a building that looks like a wonder in civ V?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Jabor posted:

And what's the big deal with the Eiffel tower? It's just a building that looks like a wonder in civ V?

And loving france completed it like two turns before I did.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Just out of curiosity, whatever made you think it was from North America? I don't see anything particularly American about it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just out of curiosity, whatever made you think it was from North America? I don't see anything particularly American about it.

In the civil war or the revolution they had pointy fortresses.

One of the more interesting facts about the forts was that the sleeping spaces seemed short to modern tourists. People were afraid to sleep lying down in one of those old forts because being horizontal was anathema, somehow.

Aaaaand I can kind of identify with that supposition but it's funny that our historical misconceptions extend to "people were hella short back then" "something something display armor something" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJMtGhqPCW0

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

syscall girl posted:

In the civil war or the revolution they had pointy fortresses.

Yeah but everyone everywhere in the West had had pointy fortresses by then.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Even if that thing was just a gated community it would be badass. I'd love to live in there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

syscall girl posted:

Aaaaand I can kind of identify with that supposition but it's funny that our historical misconceptions extend to "people were hella short back then" "something something display armor something" ...

There's a set of armor in the Met for the biggest knight I've ever seen. The dude must have been 6'5 or something and built like a wrestler.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

syscall girl posted:

I started reading the link to the actual structure in that picture and it looked like it was that and having non-perpendicular walls that would deflect vertically as well as the layout catching a few just from the sharp edges.

Either way the geometry didn't change the fact that cannons could take a part a building designed to be secure from archers and rams and maybe a trebuchet that would catch fire after siege day 3 somehow. And when you get a series of ICBMs hitting one spot on the globe over and over again well

Are you ok? You're not being very coherent and really over estimating just how good cannons were in the 17th Century.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a set of armor in the Met for the biggest knight I've ever seen. The dude must have been 6'5 or something and built like a wrestler.

Naw, he's just a kid. His brother's way shorter though.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
As far as I know, Star Fortresses were in fact so good at turning every siege into a multi-year affair that their introduction in the 15th century significantly changed the nature of European warfare. It was only the development of rifled (artillery) barrels and explosive shells at the end of the 18th century that changed the equation again. Judging their effectiveness by the American Civil War, at which point they had already been obsolete for nearly a hundred years, seems pretty strange.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Fort McHenry in Baltimore has a star shape. I'm not sure if there is any difference in ports that are designed to withstand sea vs land attacks.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Starforts.com for all your starfort needs.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Star forts: when mathemagicians rules the battlefield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NLJP posted:

Star forts: when mathemagicians rules the battlefield

It's funny because they didn't