Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Nick Briggs is also voicing 10 and 11 for Big Finish. Guess Tennant and Smith also hate Who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I mean, he said no to the 50th Special, poor Nick Briggs has to voice Nine for BF, and he's the least involved in anything to do with the show of practically every living actor who's played the part of The Doctor.

Dude hates Who.

It could also just be that there were contract negotiations that didn't work out for the 50th and that if you ask a guy who's clearly trying to establish himself in the LA, Hollywood movie scene "Hey, man, wanna do some low-ish budget radio dramas for a TV show you did twelve years ago?" he might be inclined to say "Well, maybe when I have some time, Uncle Dalek."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

Nick Briggs is also voicing 10 and 11 for Big Finish. Guess Tennant and Smith also hate Who

Well we know Tennant likes BF. Jury is still out on Matt Smith!

But I'm mostly taking the piss here guys, don't take my opinion on Who hates Who as insider info or anything.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

jivjov posted:

Do you have a source on that? The worst I've heard him say is that he had some disagreements with some of the production staff from his season. That wouldn't be a problem for coming to do Big Finish.

Christopher Eccleston posted:

I left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. I didn’t agree with the way things were being run. I didn’t like the culture that had grown up around the series. So I left, I felt, over a principle.

I thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay was to eat a lot of poo poo.

So yeah, hate for the production team/environment.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

spectralent posted:

Jesus christ :cripes:

Is there any way around email registration? Because so far as I know the over 75 licence is still per household and my grandma sure as hell doesn't have an email address.

Sounds like the guy enforcing the licencing fee is a right bleedin' bastard.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McGann posted:

So yeah, hate for the production team/environment.

And he was open to doing the 50th. He met with Moffat at least once and I believe twice, and Moffat had a script with Eccleston in it. But Eccleston doesn't really do nostalgia roles.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Timby posted:

And he was open to doing the 50th. He met with Moffat at least once and I believe twice, and Moffat had a script with Eccleston in it. But Eccleston doesn't really do nostalgia roles.

Eccleston had story boards done and a new wardrobe fitting before he pulled out. He was a lot closer to appearing in the special than just talking about it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

Eccleston had story boards done and a new wardrobe fitting before he pulled out. He was a lot closer to appearing in the special than just talking about it.

Both Moffat and Eccleston deny that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Both Moffat and Eccleston deny that.

It's my understanding that events surrounding Caroline Skinner where responsible for Eccleston pulling out at the last moment.

Also...

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 15, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Storyboards definitely exist: https://imgur.com/a/IrsmU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

There's no source either way and he's probably just, as you say, exploring other stuff in his career and busy, but he definitely did have some issues with the direction on the show, enough so that he found the experience unpleasant. It doesn't help that professional, polite actors would definitely say "Oh yeah, wonderful fans, not time for me to go back to that yet, but I hope all the best for the show its & current actors" is just the kind of thing someone would say whether they hated the show or really were just taking some space from it.

I get what you're saying, but everything I've read about Chris indicates that he's not big on that kind of bullshit. He'll be tactful, but he's not false.

See his recent interview at Vox, where he talks about The Leftovers and how he'd prefer it if every religion in the world would be better if their leaders renounced their faiths. He's not a gladhander.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I get what you're saying, but everything I've read about Chris indicates that he's not big on that kind of bullshit. He'll be tactful, but he's not false.

See his recent interview at Vox, where he talks about The Leftovers and how he'd prefer it if every religion in the world would be better if their leaders renounced their faiths. He's not a gladhander.

I agree with you, and he certainly didn't hold back about his issues with the show, but "Ecc hates Who" is always going to be a thing unless he ends up deciding to do one (not a dig at AndyElusive, who I think is just referencing it rather than subscribing to it).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I agree with this. And just to be clear my knowledge of the 50th and Ecclestons coming and goings doesn't make me think any worse of him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He was definitely up for doing the 50th if Euros Lyn (or Joe Ahearne, I can't remember which) had be hired to direct it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

9 is in the vault. So is the Valeyard. They're playing draughts. Not checkers, draughts.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

He was definitely up for doing the 50th if Euros Lyn (or Joe Ahearne, I can't remember which) had be hired to direct it.

Ahearne, and I always thought it was notable that neither of them came back, not just Chris. Especially after Ahearne was the most prolific, and probably the best, director the first season had (and came up with a number of iconic shots).

(He also did Ultraviolet, he's a great director.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

It's my understanding that events surrounding Caroline Skinner where responsible for Eccleston pulling out at the last moment.

Also...

By Moffat's account, he had the storyboards drafted and the script more than halfway written but he couldn't go any farther without knowing whether or not Eccleston would be involved, which is when he and Eccleston finally met and they talked about the story. There has never been any account of Eccleston doing wardrobe fittings or whatnot.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

It's no Eleven and Handles, but I'll take it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Well, that's lovely

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

echoplex posted:

I dunno, but Den of Geek saw that and the use of Eurostile in the graphics and sent me an email about it those both being RD homages, then made an article out of my half-guessed ramblings, which is slightly amusing:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/49433/doctor-who-series-10-the-hidden-roots-of-its-graphic-design

This is the ep I left on to do another show. The other show is not very good, and now I wish I'd stayed on for a few more Whos. :(

A lot of the design choices felt like early Red Dwarf to me, but I fully admit to having limited exposure to British sci-fi aside from Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, and The Prisoner. And Alien, if we're counting that. So it's entirely possible I'm missing an established reference history, like people who only know film noir from parodies.

I have seen the first eight seasons of Red Dwarf, many, many times, however, and whether deliberate or not, those design choices made it feel more "lived-in" and less like a one-off set. The control panel was enough of a callback for me to crane my neck and see if the keyboards were Commodore 64s or VIC-20s. If they were, as one of the very few US Commodore fanboys, I would probably have irritated my family with a little dance, so I guess it's for the best.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Blakes 7 is definitely worth a watch*

*most of the time

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you want a movie to catch, Dark Star directed by John Carpenter is pretty goddamn good.

It's a huge influence on Red Dwarf, Alien, and Red VS Blue.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Burkion posted:

If you want a movie to catch, Dark Star directed by John Carpenter is pretty goddamn good.

I watched that for the first time recently. It owns.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Weren't the Daleks going to be the surprise villains of Blake's 7 at one point?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Quatermass, obviously, too

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Burkion posted:

I saw that a zillion years ago, and would probably appreciate it more now that I'm not, y'know, a kid.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

After The War posted:

I saw that a zillion years ago, and would probably appreciate it more now that I'm not, y'know, a kid.

It's a really good movie. But it's got a very adult kind of humor to it- not that it's high brow or any poo poo like that, but that it's stuff kids would be more confused about.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

echoplex posted:

I dunno, but Den of Geek saw that and the use of Eurostile in the graphics and sent me an email about it those both being RD homages, then made an article out of my half-guessed ramblings, which is slightly amusing:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/49433/doctor-who-series-10-the-hidden-roots-of-its-graphic-design

This is the ep I left on to do another show. The other show is not very good, and now I wish I'd stayed on for a few more Whos. :(

Well you went out with a bang--the spacestation graphics were gorgeous!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh god, Volume Two: The Smug Year

As much as I'd love to see another Donna series, I am willing to give it a go to see if Big Finish can rehabilitate Rose the same way they did Mel.

AndyElusive posted:

Well we know Tennant likes BF. Jury is still out on Matt Smith!

Smith was interviewed the past year saying he'd absolutely be up for it, but they haven't asked him yet. I assume there's some sort of sunset clause in the BBC/BF agreement that it has to be either so many years after a Doctor steps down or until his successor steps down before a current series Doctor can do audios. Which means most likely we'll see 11th Doctor Full Cast with Matt Smith in 2018.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nothing against BF, but a full cast 11th Doc audio series is probably the only thing that could get me into the audios. I've listened to a handful of 8 stories but the format just doesn't grab me. (And yes, I've tried the usual recommended stories.)

This season is still solid, but I found this episode pretty lacking. I'm not sure I even understand what story purpose Bill "dying" served. There's better ways to demonstrate the dangers of trusting the Doctor, or how he often lies to downplay threats. That qualm aside, I think the episode could've used a rewrite that emphasized the cold and inhuman business practices at play more than what we got. I'm still really happy with the chemistry between Bill and 12. She's the companion Capaldi should have had from the start. That's not a knock on Coleman or Clara, and I understand the logic behind leaving a familiar face in the tardis while you introduce a new Doctor, but I was never sold on their relationship. Clara seems like the kind of person who would have left 12 for good early on.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nothing against BF, but a full cast 11th Doc audio series is probably the only thing that could get me into the audios. I've listened to a handful of 8 stories but the format just doesn't grab me. (And yes, I've tried the usual recommended stories.)

This season is still solid, but I found this episode pretty lacking. I'm not sure I even understand what story purpose Bill "dying" served. There's better ways to demonstrate the dangers of trusting the Doctor, or how he often lies to downplay threats. That qualm aside, I think the episode could've used a rewrite that emphasized the cold and inhuman business practices at play more than what we got. I'm still really happy with the chemistry between Bill and 12. She's the companion Capaldi should have had from the start. That's not a knock on Coleman or Clara, and I understand the logic behind leaving a familiar face in the tardis while you introduce a new Doctor, but I was never sold on their relationship. Clara seems like the kind of person who would have left 12 for good early on.

I figured Bill's death was making us think the Doctor stamping around going DIE WELL YOU FUCKS was him going into despair over losing a companion like he did with Clara, a bit of a bait and switch.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

No I'm not gonna loving review that Tenth Doctor/Rose audio thing. Don't ask

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

it'll be out just in time for secret santa! :downs:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It really sounds like you want to though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bicyclops posted:

It really sounds like you want to though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Just think what you're missing out on!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

What about the Tenth Doctor/Donna audio thing?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

There may have been production restrictions but some of that came off really poorly in the latest episode. Why waste spacewalking time on two characters we don't know at the start, and then tell not show the Doctor saving Bill by sacrificing his own health?

Also that photo of Bill's Mum floating over her as she "died" was pretty cringeworthy. My wife spent the rest of the night puzzling how Bill survived, so it certainly wasn't explained very well.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Speaking of leaving a familiar face in the TARDIS when a new doctor comes along, whose to say that Bill being gay doesn't lead to a possible romance angle with the new Doctor? :getin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Would have loved more 10/Donna but 10/Rose will be fun too, especially if it means more Jackie :woop:

I got you fam :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm still mad at how stupid that episode was

• Locked thread