Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Grem posted:

Yea the season 1 (I think?) thread was unreadable for a good months because people really care about this and hell if people here aren't going to hear about it!

It was last year. It is what people in the business call a 'callback.' It's a hip thing to do, you see.

Also.

Trigger Warning:

gently caress YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I love how much the class likes Bighead and that they really got something out of the films.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jin Yiang prank call call back was the best call back this episode.

"This is Mike Hunt and I'm rich!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"Where'd you get those sunglasses?"
:c00l: "Your mother."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I want Jian Yang to own Erlich forever.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Accretionist posted:

I love how much the class likes Bighead and that they really got something out of the films.

Best way to have him fail upwards yet again. Great for the students and grows the Bighead mystique.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The ep 3 recap at the beginning reminded me of how much I loved Bighead's line delivery of "oh no" when he realizes he's the lecturer

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
More Jian-Yang:

https://twitter.com/TechAtBloomberg/status/863944535419666432

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Bwhaha he gave him the car but kept the glasses, that's excellent

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Talorat posted:

Bwhaha he gave him the car but kept the glasses, that's excellent

The glasses didn't come with the car, they came from Erlich's mom. Not part of the deal :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pnumoman posted:

Best way to have him fail upwards yet again. Great for the students and grows the Bighead mystique.

I really hope it comes out that people say he's such a good professor that his entire CS class at Stanford became billionaires off their food shazaam app.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Man I love how much HBO's marketing has with this show -- between the websites for Pied Piper / Hooli / etc and this, it's fun. I need to find a hotdog to test the app on.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Oh my god :stare:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope it comes out that people say he's such a good professor that his entire CS class at Stanford became billionaires off their food shazaam app.

That's obviously gonna happen and it's going to be amazing. I hope this season ends with Bighead becoming the head of Engineering at Stanford.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

movax posted:

Man I love how much HBO's marketing has with this show -- between the websites for Pied Piper / Hooli / etc and this, it's fun. I need to find a hotdog to test the app on.

It seems pretty sophisticated. I tried to make my fingers look like a hot dog in a bun and it was not fooled. It was 3 for 3 on pictures of hot dogs I showed it from a Google image search of a nearby hot dog restaurant.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It seems pretty sophisticated. I tried to make my fingers look like a hot dog in a bun and it was not fooled. It was 3 for 3 on pictures of hot dogs I showed it from a Google image search of a nearby hot dog restaurant.

oh, the underlying tech is solid.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It seems pretty sophisticated. I tried to make my fingers look like a hot dog in a bun and it was not fooled.
Neural nets tend to be fooled by entirely different things than humans. In fact, when a neural net is fooled by the same things as a human being, that's pretty exciting cause it indicates it's actually working similar to us.

See https://arxiv.org/pdf/1412.1897.pdf or https://www.evolvingai.org/fooling

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jian Yang is the most improved character this season.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

Jian Yang is the most improved character this season.

Jian Yang is the best character.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's obviously gonna happen and it's going to be amazing. I hope this season ends with Bighead becoming the head of Engineering at Stanford.

He's going to be a Senator by the series finale.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FuriousxGeorge posted:

He's going to be a Senator by the series finale.

And after the results come in he'll be all "why is everyone celebrating," having been completely ignorant he was even a candidate and then see "projected winner" on the television and go..."oh nooooo..."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
One thing I don't get is why did they make it a point to show that it was an actual human that did the tedious job of marking a picture as a penis or not? I thought that was the whole point of machine learning to let the computer do it?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Boris Galerkin posted:

One thing I don't get is why did they make it a point to show that it was an actual human that did the tedious job of marking a picture as a penis or not? I thought that was the whole point of machine learning to let the computer do it?

You have to teach the computer how to do it, then you have to supervise to make sure it's doing it, and then maybe years down the road it can actually do it. Machine learning isn't magic.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm sure Dinesh will outsource the dick pic viewing job before too long. I'm more anticipating how he's going to pitch that job to someone in some horribly insensitive way. "I mean, you're gay so... I just thought, you know... you'd be into that."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought the process was more like "here's 5 million photos of broccoli, now figure out what they have in common so you can estimate new pictures."

At first I thought they needed people to just find pictures of broccoli to give to the algorithm (in which case can't they just Google/Hooli Image Search) which made some bit of sense. But at the end they showed Dinesh literally marking whether pictures were dicks or not. In that case wouldn't they just farm out the work to some developing country? In the last season they even made click farms a thing so they exist in SV.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Tricked it

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
"I went to the dispensary. I smoked the weed before I got home, so I went back to the dispensary."

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
This is wonderful.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Calling it now: Laurie's baby is Erlich's.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is jiang yang a millionaire now then?
Are the writing him out? ☹️

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

He'll smoke in the wrong place, get sued, and end up broke again. Anyone who ever gets into business with Erlich gets hosed over, even if it's not directly *by* Erlich.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say they named him Erlich as a play on "Ur Lich," only instead of striving for immortality, he's just out for money and all the poo poo that goes with it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Did I miss anything or were the movies Bighead showing all heavily featuring a tech aspect, like You've Got Mail and The Social network. It could seem like he's deliberately showing people those movies to showcase technology connecting people or the immutable nature of the modern internet and have people fall over themselves to talk about how insightful and mysterious he is.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pentyne posted:

Did I miss anything or were the movies Bighead showing all heavily featuring a tech aspect, like You've Got Mail and The Social network. It could seem like he's deliberately showing people those movies to showcase technology connecting people or the immutable nature of the modern internet and have people fall over themselves to talk about how insightful and mysterious he is.

"He was on the cover of Wired, so he must have some x-factor..."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Whoa, Dr. Octagon

Had to explain to girlfriend who this was and how kind of unbelievable it is to have a Dr. Octagon song in...anything.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

kiimo posted:

Had to explain to girlfriend who this was and how kind of unbelievable it is to have a Dr. Octagon song in...anything.

Is Dr Octoagon not decently well known? (At least, among the demographic watching "Silicon Valley")

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

100% of white 31 year-old females living in my house have zero idea who he is.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Bape Culture posted:

He's still got a year's worth of free rent at Erlich's, so maybe he'll stick around. Or maybe he'll start his own incubator to compete with Erlich? The possibilities are endless.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Boris Galerkin posted:

You have to train them first.

Iirc, you plug a bunch of functions together (outputs to inputs) and apply weights to the values as they pass between functions. That's a mile-up perspective on what a neural network is.

To train it, you provide it with a large amount of known inputs and outputs and let it adjust its weights to connect each pair. After feeding it millions upon millions of dicks, it should have rejiggered itself into something which can reliably classify unknown inputs as dick or not dick.

And this is way easier than developing some kind of algorithmic representation of the Platonic Dick.

pentyne posted:

He Mr. Miyagi-ed the class into a great start up opportunity like a Daoist master

The legend grows

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 15, 2017

AgentF
May 11, 2009

kiimo posted:

100% of white 31 year-old females living in my house have zero idea who he is.

Who hasn't heard of him? He's one of the most iconic Spiderman villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Dunno how accurate the tech aspect if this show is, but this show is so god drat funny.

• Locked thread