Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Arist posted:

Hey, been wanting to go back to Horizon but I never got all that far in it. When can I get the storage upgrades? Having to decide what to keep was killing me.

Depending on what you've been able to pick up, you might already have the recipes and items to upgrade your storage yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only inventory upgrades that are even really necessary IMHO are ammo capacity and resources. You can find all the materials needed to upgrade your resource pouch 4/4 before you even leave the Sacred Lands. If you're running out of bag space, remember that anything labeled "sell for metal shards" only is vendor trash that isn't used for crafting. Also feel free to sell off excess resource stacks if they're piling up. Nobody needs 500 cans of Sparker.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Duh, didn't even notice that part of the crafting menu :downs:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC the capacity upgrades only require animal parts so get to huntin'

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ashpanash posted:

You don't "need" any of them, flowers included.
I'm an idiot and confused the Metal Flowers with the Power Cells.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm an idiot and confused the Metal Flowers with the Power Cells.

to be fair, you don't really need those either. I don't think I ever even really used what they unlock, except like once just to try it out.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

morallyobjected posted:

to be fair, you don't really need those either. I don't think I ever even really used what they unlock, except like once just to try it out.

Why not? Its insanely good. I didn't take damage in the game one after that I don't think.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I spent the whole game thinking about when I would unlock that vault, it was a shame that you basically have to beat the game first

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bombadilillo posted:

Why not? Its insanely good. I didn't take damage in the game one after that I don't think.

Yeah it's pretty gamebreaking, which is why you can only unlock it after almost finishing the main story.

A bit disappointed that she makes her own primitive-chic outfit from it. I kinda wanted to run around and talk to tribespeople wearing the ridiculous bulky starship troopers armor on display.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

What are telltale games? Are they actual games? I went to look at the trailers and gameplay videos and can't understand what's the game part.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

it seemed like something I'd use for a NG+ or something, but I didn't want to trivalise the little bit of the game left. plus taking down two thunderjaws and a bunch of grazers by the skin of my teeth was part of the fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shy posted:

What are telltale games? Are they actual games? I went to look at the trailers and gameplay videos and can't understand what's the game part.

They have dialogue choices which alter the plot (though in relatively minor ways) and QTEs/very very minor puzzles which do the same.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shy posted:

They don't have much gameplay in them beyond making choices that can change some relatively minor things about the way the story plays out. Which means they live and die purely on the quality of their story and characters and when that's not there they reeeeeally suck.

E:

Regy Rusty posted:

relatively minor things

ImpAtom posted:

relatively minor ways

:stare:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Telltale started out making point and click adventure games and now their formula is 2 or 3 steps removed from that. The Walking Dead is pretty much just a VN with 3D graphics.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Telltale started out making point and click adventure games and now their formula is 2 or 3 steps removed from that. The Walking Dead is pretty much just a VN with 3D graphics.

Its a choose your own adventure.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Shy posted:

They're adventure games with a big emphasis on dialog and QTEs. You get a decent amount of control over your player character's dialog which leads to some story branching. It creates an illusion that you're in control that kinda falls apart if you look too closely, but it can be cool.

I really liked the first season of The Walking Dead, but the head writer left after that season (he wrote Firewatch!) and it went downhill. I like Tales From The Borderlands but mostly because it's a cool sci-fi adventure thing, but there's even less game there than TWD. I've played other Telltale games and regretted them all.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Its a choose your own adventure.
About as much as most VNs are

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

About as much as most VNs are

I'm thinking of the Zero escape games and their choice driven narrative.

Vs

2 choices per episode with big flashie "This is Important" text all over the screen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest VNs usually have more choice than a telltale game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
if you're interested and you have PS+, there's no real reason to not just download Tales From the Borderlands and try it out. I don't really find TT games all that engaging, but that's supposed to be one of the better oens

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

exquisite tea posted:

I think the near-identical format of every Telltale game really undercuts their narrative goals. Once you've played a few of them the story beats become painfully predictable, which is something you absolutely do not want to happen in a story-driven game that's meant to keep the player guessing. Oh look, another flashpoint where I have to choose which of two characters to save. Oh look, I'm making a monumental decision that's just going to be reversed 5 minutes later. Until Dawn's horror movie format was a brilliant move because even though there are only a few select points where the characters can die, the knowledge that they CAN all die maintains tension throughout.

I didn't think Until Dawn would be good. I played through it with my gf and we had a ball. Highly recommended game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else stoked on Farpoint tomorrow?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

No, 3D vision doesn't exist, just a gimmick and everyone who can see 3D is lying.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Sefal posted:

But Tales from the Borderlands is the game that made want more of the borderlands universe and prompted me to buy the handsome collection.

Wow, this sounds like the biggest downer ever. Those games are mostly not good, especially solo. Tales from the Borderlands is the only good one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JBP posted:

I didn't think Until Dawn would be good. I played through it with my gf and we had a ball. Highly recommended game.

I wish that I could see some analytics on who the playerbase managed to keep alive because I managed only 3/8 on a totally blind run in what was probably an unorthodox combination of characters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

exquisite tea posted:

I wish that I could see some analytics on who the playerbase managed to keep alive because I managed only 3/8 on a totally blind run in what was probably an unorthodox combination of characters.

On my first run I made it through the entire game without a death then (will spoiler ending bit) I loving panicked because it was like 2:30am and blew the poo poo out of everyone in the house. RIP Mike. You were a God damned hero.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone else stoked on Farpoint tomorrow?
I just read about it today. I'll probably give it a try, I'd love a full VR game to try out.

I'm gonna finish Prey, then probably play The Surge, then Farpoint. It's good to have goals.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Atlus put up a job listing this week looking for someone to work on a series that was decribed as having 4 entries already and coming to ps4

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Real hurthling! posted:

Atlus put up a job listing this week looking for someone to work on a series that was decribed as having 4 entries already and coming to ps4

Persona 5 is almost here :worship:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

If you wanted to try Chroma Squad on PS4, it's out this Friday.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Nah rly tho what could that be? I'm stumped

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

goferchan posted:

Nah rly tho what could that be? I'm stumped

smt5 maybe? was teased for switch in january

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Whilst the general gameplay remains more or less the same, the breadth, depth, production values, etc... on Injustice 2 is loving fantastic.

Feels like a real win.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
How far we've come from MK Vs. DC.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think you meant to say how far are we from wipeout and dirt 4

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

an actual dog posted:

I really liked the first season of The Walking Dead, but the head writer left after that season (he wrote Firewatch!)

He needs to learn how to write not poo poo endings.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think you meant to say how far are we from wipeout and dirt 4

My god, this. I just want to race once I am done with HZD.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Going a zillion mph in online races blasting techno in 4K sounds so good

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm concerned. The Surge doesn't actually look half bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If this year weren't so jam-packed I would probably consider The Surge. But Injustice 2 is out, so