Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Also, I wish TRD still had a bolt-on supercharger for the 2GR; it would be fantastic in the IS or GS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

This isn't getting enough love yet but thanks for posting your thoughts from that little prompt. You're a good writer and that was a fun read. Hope you continue to enjoy the Exige :)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

morothar posted:

First and foremost, it's important to understand that the people who designed and build your Lotus are turnip farmers. Now, they may be some of the most brilliant turnip farmers ever, with degrees in mechanical engineering and a profound understanding of mechanics and physics - but mere knowledge and a piece of paper cannot negate the influence of generations of turnip farming. One day then, these turnip farmers may have been looking at a turnip cart or some other piece of wheeled farming equipment and went "what if we build an aluminium tub and make it go around a track as fast as bloody possible?" It's important to understand that this has been the overarching paradigm that your Lotus has been designed, developed and build under. Everything that is not helpful in pursuing this goal got relegated to "it's good enough, let's go to the pub".
Beautiful.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Saw a Continental in the flesh on the way in this morning; I'd like one for my daily commute. It looked very comfy.

(on the fence about the jade green paint job)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Saw a Continental in the flesh on the way in this morning; I'd like one for my daily commute. It looked very comfy.

I can't get over the door handles. It's just so weird.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I wish the Continental looked less like a fancy Taurus from the profile. I wish the front and back end look liked they belonged to the same car. I wish the seats were as comfortable as they looked. They nailed the interior materials and design though.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I saw one on my way home from work last month.

It was yellow.

And had this on the side.

What is the world coming too.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The 2018 Honda Odyssey has made it very convenient for your passengers to make transmission selections.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
This is the same company that made the A/C controls completely out of the passenger's reach in the S2000.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why wouldn't you put transmission buttons to the left side of the steering column, as a driver-only control? For that matter, why wouldn't you just use a normal gear level like a normal fuckin' person -- difficult to confuse with anything else, easy to operate without looking at.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

There seems to be a race to reinvent the transmission selector. Because what we've been using since the 1940's never worked right :haw:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A column-mounted shifter will kill you and everyone you love.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

A column-mounted shifter will kill you and everyone you love.

When they remake Blues Brothers I hope the scene where he's talking about the car and it's cop motor and cop breaks he also says 'cop shifter'

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Goober Peas posted:

The 2018 Honda Odyssey has made it very convenient for your passengers to make transmission selections.

Jesus Christ. Modern cars are turning into the morphed dreams of early 2000s ricers.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

I don't see how that's any worse than a console mounted selector or even worse, a manual transmission, from a passenger doing dump stuff standpoint. It's also centralized so they can use the same parts for LHD and RHD just like 99% of the time you see symmetrical dash and console designs.

PT6A posted:

Why wouldn't you put transmission buttons to the left side of the steering column, as a driver-only control? For that matter, why wouldn't you just use a normal gear level like a normal fuckin' person -- difficult to confuse with anything else, easy to operate without looking at.

Because you'd be the only car that did it and everyone would get mad having to relearn it just like people bitched about push button starts being unintuitive but with none of the upside of a worldwide dash design. I have a hard enough time mentally switching the start button placement when I drive my wife's car a bunch and that's only once per drive. I can't imagine how frustrating it'd be having to do that every time you needed to change the transmission setting.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pretty much all of the original push button automatics had the buttons on the left hand side by the door. Then everything went to column and console shifters on the right, and now we're where we are now, with the shifter where the volume knob should be, and the volume knob right beside it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jymmybob posted:

I don't see how that's any worse than a console mounted selector or even worse, a manual transmission, from a passenger doing dump stuff standpoint. It's also centralized so they can use the same parts for LHD and RHD just like 99% of the time you see symmetrical dash and console designs.

But if they used a column shifter then they could still use the same dash

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

But if they used a column shifter then they could still use the same dash

Yep. And that would be okay, provided it were a Mercedes-style column shifter instead of one of the old garbage ones that Honda used to use on some vehicles.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

Pretty much all of the original push button automatics had the buttons on the left hand side by the door. Then everything went to column and console shifters on the right, and now we're where we are now, with the shifter where the volume knob should be, and the volume knob right beside it.

I can't wait until someone tries to turn down the volume at a drive thru and puts it in reverse.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I like the minimalist HVAC controls in the new GT, but i could see someone trying to turn the volume down and making it colder.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

There seems to be a race to reinvent the transmission selector. Because what we've been using since the 1940's never worked right :haw:

I'm still waiting for either touchscreen or voice activated transmissions.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

redgubbinz posted:

I'm still waiting for either touchscreen or voice activated transmissions.

You'd go hoarse in traffic.

"Computer, shift into third gear."
"Shifting."
"Computer, shift into fourth gear."
"Shifting."
"Computer, shift into fifth gear…"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

knobs, ya gotta give me the knobs.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Powershift posted:

I like the minimalist HVAC controls in the new GT, but i could see someone trying to turn the volume down and making it colder.

The GT looks loving crazy cool, bummer that I'll probably never see one much less touch one

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shirts and skins posted:

The GT looks loving crazy cool, bummer that I'll probably never see one much less touch one

Short people say it's cramped, so i know even if the opportunity came up, i'd never fit in it :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I wish the new Civic Si was available as a hatch, had less ridiculous styling especially in the rear and on the terrible looking stock wheels, and cost about a thousand bucks less. I don't see how it's going to do decently against the WRX, GTi and FoST.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Instead of wanting the civic to be a golf, why not just buy a golf?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I wish the new Civic Si was available as a hatch, had less ridiculous styling especially in the rear and on the terrible looking stock wheels, and cost about a thousand bucks less. I don't see how it's going to do decently against the WRX, GTi and FoST.

Might be the ///Type R/// you're thinking of, the Si styling isn't terribly over the top. Finally got my finances in order enough to afford a new car while maintaining proper savings cushion, drove a civic hatchback with the stickshift, really liked it (literally everything but the high-ish cabin noise) found out there's literally no way to get a stick with Android Auto and a hatchback :saddowns: guess I'll wait until next year? Maybe the Elantra GT will be pretty good? What the hell Honda, take my goddamn money

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Powershift posted:

Instead of wanting the civic to be a golf, why not just buy a golf?

Perhaps he wants to own it after the warranty expires.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You know how I said Renegades are the new rear end in a top hat car?

I test drove one today while I had some time to kill and happened to be near a dealership. I kinda want it. Guess I was right.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MarsellusWallace posted:

Might be the ///Type R/// you're thinking of, the Si styling isn't terribly over the top. Finally got my finances in order enough to afford a new car while maintaining proper savings cushion, drove a civic hatchback with the stickshift, really liked it (literally everything but the high-ish cabin noise) found out there's literally no way to get a stick with Android Auto and a hatchback :saddowns: guess I'll wait until next year? Maybe the Elantra GT will be pretty good? What the hell Honda, take my goddamn money

I wasn't terribly impressed with the Elantra GT when I drove one about 3 or 4 years ago.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

MarsellusWallace posted:

Pretty sure that Type R is the only way to get what you want. Too bad it's hideous and expensive

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Type R's engine without the side of rice would be nice.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I had a chance to sit in one, but not long enough to form a good impression about seat comfort. I'd probably need to take one on a minimum hour-long trip and gently caress around with the 30-way driver's seat some more.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Powershift posted:

Good news! The only volume controls on the GT are on the steering wheel.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BloodBag posted:

Good news! The only volume controls on the GT are on the steering wheel.

Its

Its like they knew everything i like
Teased me with it

And i have to live with never ever having it. Ever.
While other people enjoy it or store it in some box to idly gain ""value""

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its

Its like they knew everything i like
Teased me with it

And i have to live with never ever having it. Ever.
While other people enjoy it or store it in some box to idly gain ""value""

Don't feel so bad, that v6 it has sounds like a dog farting through a walkie-talkie.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Speaking of Elantras, is the new Elantra Sport worth getting? I'm shopping a Civic Touring 1.5T against it.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Just traded my Focus ST for a 2018 S4.

Really liked the ST. It was a rattletrap but what a joy to drive. It did what it said on the tin and never left me stranded.

As soon as i got my S4 home from the dealer, the 360 degree camera system failed. Blank screen. Less than 60 miles on the odo.
Welp I guess I'm going to experience German Reliability Myth firsthand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

smooth jazz posted:

Just traded my Focus ST for a 2018 S4.

Really liked the ST. It was a rattletrap but what a joy to drive. It did what it said on the tin and never left me stranded.

As soon as i got my S4 home from the dealer, the 360 degree camera system failed. Blank screen. Less than 60 miles on the odo.
Welp I guess I'm going to experience German Reliability Myth firsthand...

In 2008 I was test driving a VW jetta TDI DSG and the radio headunit quit working on the drive. I can't say I'm surprised yours took a poo poo.