Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
So are the nuclear ratios the same, just that heat pipe can't go on forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah heat pipes lose their heat over distance.

Of course, steam does not, so just use steam pipes instead :confused:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I liked the guy in the changelog thread on reddit complaining that this piece of poo poo doesn't work any more:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GotLag posted:

I liked the guy in the changelog thread on reddit complaining that this piece of poo poo doesn't work any more:

Good :colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
*derides a player for making a boring grid of heat exchangers and turbines*

*best way to make solar plants is to stamp out the same square pattern of panels and accumulators ten thousand times*

Qubee
May 31, 2013

GotLag posted:

Now why didn't you build that east-west instead of north-south?

What's the benefit of building it east-west?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Loopoo posted:

Greater goatse resemblance.

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.

Loopoo posted:

Goatse, the answer is always goatse!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

*derides a player for making a boring grid of heat exchangers and turbines*

*best way to make solar plants is to stamp out the same square pattern of panels and accumulators ten thousand times*

To be fair, the whole point of implementing nuclear was as an alternative to building boring repetitive grids.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

GotLag posted:

good god that's fuckin awful. I'm so glad this changed.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Indeed it is awful. He's wasting energy by not having fields of steam storage tanks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What changed with heatpipes? Lower conductivity?

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

Truga posted:

What changed with heatpipes? Lower conductivity?

The curve for heat transfer over distance was steepened.

In other words, you can't transmit heat via heat pipes over absurd distances.

e: i'm an idiot-- yes, lower heat conductivity

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, nice.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Speaking of nukes: After getting fed up with trying to figure out my own nuke silo design, I looked to BPs. I've been using this setup for a while. Found it on r/Factorio here. There's some pretty cool stuff there and on r/FactorioBlueprints, but I try not to rely on other people's BPs too much.

Puts out 480MW. If I need more I just create a whole 'nother setup. Self regulates, doesn't use more fuel than necessary (even though mining a single uranium patch and enriching yields more fuel than you'll ever need), has neat little lights.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
They went too far. Even cut straight in half, my original design is still not viable. That's 16 reactors for just 120 exchangers over the ~absurd~ distance of 50 tiles.

Surrounding your reactors with exchangers is the only way to do it now and I'm not sure how that's a good thing. Yeah, the redditor's setup is bad and ugly, but why should that matter?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Maybe the solution to your problem is to make a rectangular reactor blueprint that you can repeat forever in a grid. :geno:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the real solution is to stay on 15.9 :shrug:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i mean, whats next, steam cooling down in pipes and tanks?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

seravid posted:

They went too far. Even cut straight in half, my original design is still not viable. That's 16 reactors for just 120 exchangers over the ~absurd~ distance of 50 tiles.

Surrounding your reactors with exchangers is the only way to do it now and I'm not sure how that's a good thing. Yeah, the redditor's setup is bad and ugly, but why should that matter?

There's no limit on how far you can transport steam.

Baloogan posted:

i mean, whats next, steam cooling down in pipes and tanks?

Alas, not yet.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

GotLag posted:

There's no limit on how far you can transport steam.

Alas, not yet.

I was gonna say this. Optimize your heat exchangers for minimum heat pipe distance, and then pipe your steam off for storage/usage. Distance-wise, you should be going reactors -> exchangers -> steam storage -> turbines.

This makes a hell of a lot more sense than superlong heatpipes. Yeah, it gibs some reactor setups, but I think I prefer post-nerf.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Baloogan posted:

actually writing a factorio-AI would be really cool

My personal pet project at the moment is writing a game that is basically factorio blended with Shenzhen I/O. I guarantee the performance will be poo poo and I'll probably never get it past the concept stage, but at least I'm learning a ton about reflection in .NET :suicide:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tupper posted:

Yeah, it gibs some reactor setups, but I think I prefer post-nerf.

I'm personally against nerfs that reduce the ability to build a bigger thing in this game.

I mean honestly the reactor change just means that you build multiple smaller plants rather than one single ultra-mega plant unless you have a super tight layout, and nothing of value is really lost, but it's still a bit of a bummer.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

You can still build heat pipes farther out than in the pic Tupper posted. In my pre-update, stretched out 2×16×28 plant design, exchangers put out 500° steam even though the heat pipe wasn't at max temp--about 80-90% of max, can't remember the exact numbers. My turbines were still operating at 100% last night. I'll look again and post pics when I get home.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
You can pipe steam to turbines literal miles away from the reactors, but exchangers better be placed real close! And not in any single direction, either, they've got to be all around. For balance.

RyokoTK posted:

I'm personally against nerfs that reduce the ability to build a bigger thing in this game.

I mean honestly the reactor change just means that you build multiple smaller plants rather than one single ultra-mega plant unless you have a super tight layout, and nothing of value is really lost, but it's still a bit of a bummer.

I did build a 100% output 26-reactor to replace my now non-working setup, so large power plants are still viable. They just end up looking like the loving goatman now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cramming things together is an affinity not required of anyone who wasn't playing with Factorissimo given that a single pathway (ie belt, pipe, or heatpipe) is always going to be somewhat cheap when you amortize it out 20 hours. I'm not sure it would end up being the funnest affinity but I really need to credit them trying to tweak the logistics of something to encourage designs that aren't straight lines of things tiled forever because its trivial to link things.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Tupper posted:

Speaking of nukes: After getting fed up with trying to figure out my own nuke silo design, I looked to BPs. I've been using this setup for a while. Found it on r/Factorio here. There's some pretty cool stuff there and on r/FactorioBlueprints, but I try not to rely on other people's BPs too much.

Puts out 480MW. If I need more I just create a whole 'nother setup. Self regulates, doesn't use more fuel than necessary (even though mining a single uranium patch and enriching yields more fuel than you'll ever need), has neat little lights.

I did some math on this and even though it's an endgame setup it costs less than 40K iron and 30K copper (with fairly negligible amounts of stone, petrogas, and coal).

To put that in perspective, a solar panel costs 40 iron and 27.5 copper and it takes 23.8 panels to produce an accumulator-regulated megawatt of power. With .84 accumulators per panel this goes to 47.56 iron and 31.7 copper, which doesn't count the 150 petrogas that's the main cost of an accumulator. So the cost of a 480MW nuclear plant buys at most 841 solar panels, which generates at most 35MW of power (a 40 steam engine plant generates 36MW).

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Here is my haphazard first-time-playing nuclear setup, for the refining part.

Originally uranium ore was belted from the north into five centrifuges, was placed on a belt, and filter inserters split them by isotope. A chest on the right was set up with a circuit so it would only pick up U-235 if there was less than 40 pieces in the chest, so I could collect enough for enrichment. This only applied to half of what was refined though, I had hundreds of fuel cells in stock before ever researching enrichment. The U-238 was just stored in a bunch of chests near the center if the fuel cell assembler was already full and just waiting for U-235. New fuel cells were placed on that belt down south to where my reactor is.

After researching enrichment, I re-purposed two of the centrifuges. One to recycle spent fuel cells, and one for enrichment, which puts it output in a loop so it is reused for further enrichment. A belt was added to begin moving the now useful U-238 from the chests into the enrichment centrifuge. Once enough U-235 is created so that the chest builds up to 40 pieces again even while more is in the centrifuge, that inserted will not pick it up and it will instead go on and be stored in the chest near the center. I also added a red circuit connection to the fuel cell assembler inserter so it only operates if the fuel cell storage next to the reactor (off screen) is low.

As you can see it is a visual mess as I didn't plan it or look at guides, but it works fine.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What do people do for tileable solar power? I've spent the last few hours trying to lay out an aesthetically pleasing block that is also the right ratio. The best I've managed so far is this lopsided mess:

Oh well, at least the .848 ratio of accumulators to solar panels is almost perfect.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

LLSix posted:

Oh well, at least the .848 ratio of accumulators to solar panels is almost perfect.

Why do people keep going on about a 'perfect' ratio? Does that allow for laser turret buffers and stuff? I just make a blueprint that looks good with enough accumulators (I prefer a 1:1 ish ratio) and spam it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Probably because when you're talking about making tens of thousands of structures, minimizing waste in your ratio actually has an appreciable benefit.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Ambaire posted:

Why do people keep going on about a 'perfect' ratio? Does that allow for laser turret buffers and stuff? I just make a blueprint that looks good with enough accumulators (I prefer a 1:1 ish ratio) and spam it.

It's "perfect" in the sense that there are enough accumulators to take up the slack during the night when the solar panels don't work.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

A "perfect" ratio of panels to accumulators has the accumulators basically run dry overnight. Panels obviously don't work during the day so if you have only panels you have to have enough juice to get through the night. Coal and nuclear obviously don't have that issue but it was a big deal before nukes existed. So you'd have people building megafactories powered almost/totally exclusively by solar because holy poo poo would generating multiple GW of power be awful using coal. It's easy to just robot stamp out huge piles of panels since they just need to exist while being connected to the power grid. Too few accumulators and you run out of power every night. Too many and you've blown resources on something you aren't really using.

RyokoTK posted:

Probably because when you're talking about making tens of thousands of structures, minimizing waste in your ratio actually has an appreciable benefit.

And, you know, that. Setting up the infrastructure just to get the resources to set up 20,000 panels is huge so you want to get it right.

Personally I like having a big, fat power reserve so I go more than 1:1. I tend to have a ton of accumulators. Then again I also like laser turrets. I also tend to gently caress up my coal power sometimes so having that blob of extra juice for when I inevitably do something stupid is nice.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 18, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ambaire posted:

A buffer requires either excess steam power production or else the perfect panel and accumulator ratio for the worst case. Because you can't charge a buffer accumulator with insufficient panels if you are using the design load. In a practical case sure, you don't use exactly the design load very often but the perfect ratio keeps you honest while you're approaching your limit.

Especially these days if you are using lasers for some reason, a better laser buffer is steam, which can absorb and shed loads of higher demand compared to accumulators kind of pitiful flux/power ratio. And also lasers are bad and a stopgap you stick somewhere you are working on getting ammo logistics set up or else at that one power pole that somehow aggravates a single biter in a migratory flock.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

zedprime posted:

A buffer requires either excess steam power production or else the perfect panel and accumulator ratio for the worst case. Because you can't charge a buffer accumulator with insufficient panels if you are using the design load. In a practical case sure, you don't use exactly the design load very often but the perfect ratio keeps you honest while you're approaching your limit.

lol 'design load'. I don't have enough solar panels/accumlulators until my accumlulators never drop below 50% charge and they charge in ~50% of the day. Lots of buffer.

zedprime posted:

Especially these days if you are using lasers for some reason, a better laser buffer is steam, which can absorb and shed loads of higher demand compared to accumulators kind of pitiful flux/power ratio. And also lasers are bad and a stopgap you stick somewhere you are working on getting ammo logistics set up or else at that one power pole that somehow aggravates a single biter in a migratory flock.

I use lasers because they're fun. Gun turrets are boring...

I also like using the beam laser mod. Or at least I have it installed.. haven't gotten to laser tech level yet.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

My nuclear setup. Using 2 reactors at the moment, with room to upgrade to 4 operating.

Close up of part of the heat pipes and exchangers (829 C vs ideal temp of 1000 C)

Heat exchanger at the end showing 500 degree steam. Pipe coming out of it is the same.

Is the issue that less 500 degree steam would be produced vs same amount of lower temperature steam? I had assumed the temperature would be lower because that makes sense but haven't verified that.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5O9M-yJ6aEKSkZhQ0c0QUtMeHM/view
big rear end screenshot of my goon island game, rebuilt my entire bus and just now realising how to better use underground belts for compact assembler arrays

getting uranium up for the ammo because im starting to feel low on resources

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am starting to mass produce modules and my green circuit production is going to poo poo and can't keep up with demand from red circuits. Is the best way to scale green circuits to just keep plopping down two circuit assemblers and three copper wire assemblers until demand is satiated?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Dirk Pitt posted:

I am starting to mass produce modules and my green circuit production is going to poo poo and can't keep up with demand from red circuits. Is the best way to scale green circuits to just keep plopping down two circuit assemblers and three copper wire assemblers until demand is satiated?

Essentially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, make it a train stop. Deliver iron and copper plates, train out greens to your red production facility.

When you hit a bottleneck, just add extra wagons and lanes.