Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The problem with the NBA playoffs is it robs the Brewers of Brian Anderson :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can we rip on the ABC/ESPN NBA coverage guys?

I think the only person I like is Doris Burke.

Breen is really good they just stuck him with a bad pair of color guys who are way past their sell by date

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 17, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

Breen is really good they just stuck him with a bad pair of color guys who are way past their sell buy date

Breen was pretty good in the Finals. last year.

I think you're right. Van Gundy and Jackson are infuriating. i think Burke would make an EXCELLENT color commentator. It don't think we'd be hearing her talk about getting Brownies at the game or whatever the hell those ramble on about.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Breen, JVG, Doris and Hubie are all great. The other play-by-play guys they have are solid enough, too.

They're really lacking any other good analysts, though. Jalen might be their only worthwhile studio guy, and I don't particularly love him, either (he's just solid on-camera). Beadle is a pretty good host, and I think she could be better surrounded with better people, but guys like Chauncey and T-Mac are more or less duds

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I get people who are annoyed with Van Gundy's whole thing, but I love it.

They should make him the main dude on the studio show where he can run wild with his cranky old dude schtick and bump Doris up to lead analyst

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

xbilkis posted:

They should make him the main dude on the studio show where he can run wild with his cranky old dude schtick and bump Doris up to lead analyst

Yeah I think that's the problem.

I could see him thriving in a studio role. During an important game though? It really messed up the flow. I mean I've seen a Van Gundy type succeed in that sort of role (Chuck doing color for a few games comes to mind), but

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

I can't remember him saying anything new or interesting in years and I'm not really interested in an analyst who seems to actively hate the product he's covering. I'm sick of Barkley for the same reason (though Barkley is worse because he's also terrible at actually breaking down basketball)

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

I can't remember him saying anything new or interesting in years and I'm not really interested in an analyst who seems to actively hate the product he's covering. I'm sick of Barkley for the same reason (though Barkley is worse because he's also terrible at actually breaking down basketball)

Barkley's well past his sell-by date but he's also someone where once he left TV I'd be all sad and saying "I miss Charles :(" so it's a catch-22 there.

Also who the gently caress launches a show on New Year's Day, especially in the morning the gently caress they thinking

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I can't hate Jeff Van Gundy for biased reasons (re: the coach the last time the Knicks weren't a joke)

C. Everett Koop posted:

Barkley's well past his sell-by date but he's also someone where once he left TV I'd be all sad and saying "I miss Charles :(" so it's a catch-22 there.

Also who the gently caress launches a show on New Year's Day, especially in the morning the gently caress they thinking

It's the day of the college football semifinals

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

He was fun for a long time but he's always been really lazy when it came to actual analysis and at this point his whole shtick is pretty tired. Throw in the fact that the direction of the modern game has made him really insecure and bitter and he's no fun to watch at all now. I just don't see how it benefits the league to have its most prominent television personality constantly making GBS threads on the product. Like I get that the playoffs this year have unfortunately had too many ugly blowouts but generally the NBA is as healthy as it's ever been and he's spent most of the last four or five years grumping about how horrible it is.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the glory of live TV, where you can get things like Latroy Hawkins, unprompted, to poo poo all over Tommy Kahnle and call him the worst teammate ever :munch:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can we rip on the ABC/ESPN NBA coverage guys?

I think the only person I like is Doris Burke.

I like Doris Burke. JVG is okay with me but I get that he's annoying. The rest of em really stink.

e: oh and for PBP guys Kevin Harlan is my favorite ever.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 17, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chunkles posted:

I like Doris Burke. JVG is okay with me but I get that he's annoying. The rest of em really stink.

e: oh and for PBP guys Kevin Harlan is my favorite ever.

Kevin Harlan is the gods' gift to football and basketball PBP.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

iospace posted:

Kevin Harlan is the gods' gift to football and basketball PBP.

"THE GUY IS DRUNK" followed by a deep sigh and "...that was the most exciting thing to happen all night" is a top-five all-time call

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spoeank posted:

"THE GUY IS DRUNK" followed by a deep sigh and "...that was the most exciting thing to happen all night" is a top-five all-time call

It is. And then it happened to him again.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Speaking of which, sas old timers should know that Latroy saw gendo's cartoon of him on twitter and laughed

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Spoeank posted:

I never get tired of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wopy6Ntd834

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'd pay Kevin Harlan to narrate the most embarassing moments of my life. I want to run out on a football field shirtless right now.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 18, 2017

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

ElwoodCuse posted:

Speaking of which, sas old timers should know that Latroy saw gendo's cartoon of him on twitter and laughed

Please link, that comic was great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

oh that's amazing

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Criminal Minded posted:

Please link, that comic was great

https://twitter.com/LaTroyHawkins32/status/648527825499242497

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bless you for finding this

Also CBS will retain rights to the Army/Navy football game through 2028

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Just gonna leave this here

https://twitter.com/akarl_smith/status/865313383771459585

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I thought that was 'shopped :stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We've hit peak 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Same

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/865320625249951744

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/865323815970250752

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stonklol:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
how does SAS always manage to be the less stupid person on these roundtables

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

corn on the cop posted:

He picks his fights with a dedication to detail that Floyd Mayweather can only imagine.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

corn on the cop posted:

Because he's a genius

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

corn on the cop posted:

I don't know about that, but what I do know is that when I listen to Bomani Jones's radio show, SAS's adverts are a magnitude louder than anything else that is broadcast. Like, I have to actually turn the volume down on my PC because my speakers are going mental, yet they weren't for the preceding adverts and the main show

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I saw this pic in too many threads today and I always thought SAS was arguing with Cowherd

Nuge :stare:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DAMNIT I MISSED THIS
https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/865657631477604352

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the american dream still lives when a professor emeritus and a man with a masters degree in engineering are on ESPN playing Si or No. The other part of that dream is they're probably getting harassed on twitter for not treating SPORTS seriously

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

One dude was uploading full HQs on Youtube but it looks like he hasn't put up anything in a month. :(

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
NBCUniversal is rebranding Universal HD as the Olympic Channel in July. Universal HD is best known for showing movies and WWE replays.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The E:60 about Ryan Leaf yesterday morning was loving phenomenal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sportsgenius86 posted:

The E:60 about Ryan Leaf yesterday morning was loving phenomenal.

I think ESPN realized "What if we gave Bob Ley unlimited creative control to do what he does best" and thus the sunday morning E:60 was born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

iospace posted:

I think ESPN realized "What if we gave Bob Ley unlimited creative control to do what he does best" and thus the sunday morning E:60 was born.

Apparently there's a full 90 minute documentary on Leaf on Thursday night