Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Some people like different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

spasticColon posted:

Then I guess I'm just a casual that will never understand the appeal of Dark Souls and Bloodbourne. Same thing with Pokemon I just don't understand the appeal of it.

its too bad you will never be as hardcore as children, too casual for pokemon guy

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Harlock posted:

Looks like an expansion to Destiny 1 for $60

Yeah I was somewhat optimistic and looking forward to 2 but it looks EXACTLY like 1. I thought they'd do more now that they aren't developing for 360/ps3. Went from a pretty easy buy to almost certainly won't buy. (put about 500 hours into 1, which is less than a lot of people, as insane as that sounds)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

spasticColon posted:

Then I guess I'm just a casual that will never understand the appeal of Dark Souls and Bloodbourne. Same thing with Pokemon I just don't understand the appeal of it.
It takes a little bit of understanding and if it works for you or not, there's many who do and many who don't and that's OK. They're a meticulously crafted game of chess and reflexes. It's not about mashing attack but understanding timing, dodging/parrying and making most use of resources while slowly getting leveled up and crafting weapon power. Though the biggest change is nothing to with stats but just that you are actually that much better at the game. There's actually no real 1-hit-kills in Bloodborne (or extremely rare)

Bloodborne is really good and combat is much more refined and faster than Dark Souls1. It feels a lot more fluid, stamina comes back and so you are constantly on the move in dodging and attacking instead of staring down a lot waiting (although sometimes you will be still waiting for an opening). You also don't really have to be a master-gamer to get through the first playthrough of a Souls game either.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Xaris posted:

You also don't really have to be a master-gamer to get through the first playthrough of a Souls game either.

I think this is half the issue. People think they're walking into a test of your gaming prowess and prepare to die, when you just need to start walking around corners instead of running for the first run on a map and spend an extra couple of minutes trying to work out how an enemy moves.

If you're a controller throwing pissbeast they're probably not for you, but I think anyone with a little patience who enjoys challenges would find at least one facet of a game like Bloodborne that is to their taste.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

So, I might start Persona 5 at some stage today. My question is: subs or dub?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah I was somewhat optimistic and looking forward to 2 but it looks EXACTLY like 1. I thought they'd do more now that they aren't developing for 360/ps3. Went from a pretty easy buy to almost certainly won't buy. (put about 500 hours into 1, which is less than a lot of people, as insane as that sounds)

I mean, that's valid.. and I'm not saying you're wrong... but in terms of what they are showing now, what they WOULD be showing at this point... what exactly were you hoping to see that is different?

[ed] That is to say, the creamy center of Destiny 1 is still there, and that is to be expected (and good) and at this point, although mostly only words spoken, they are saying the right stuff... open areas having MUCH more to do, and being more fleshed out... and having all the little lovely things about D1 more or less gone.

Now, will this end up all being reality? We will see... but it's pretty much what I expected D2 to be. Better Destiny.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 19, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
To Quoth is not to Editith... :\

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

spasticColon posted:

I don't like Dark Souls so will I like Bloodbourne? It's too bad they don't have a demo for Bloodbourne so I might wait until it goes on sale for very cheap.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say YES.

Not only that, but there's a decent chance that Bloodborne will cause you to like and play all the other games.

edit; It happened to me ;)

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 19, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

If you play in English you'll probably complain about the voices for days considering your past experiences so just select Japanese and save yourself the trouble.
Just know there's a lot of circumstancial dialogue that's unsubtitled in English.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Feenix posted:

I mean, that's valid.. and I'm not saying you're wrong... but in terms of what they are showing now, what they WOULD be showing at this point... what exactly were you hoping to see that is different?

Visuals, gameplay... something? Anything that would make it look like a sequel instead of an expansion? Like it's not even 60fps this time? That's fuckin lazy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Destiny 2 looks like a sequel. They were never going to fix what they don't consider broken, just add new powers, new gear, new stats, new loadout and build options, new maps, etc. They've made some structural changes like streamlining the process of changing from one activity to another, put a bunch more things to do in the free roam mode, and finally added in-game LFG, but it's neither surprising nor disappointing that it's not radically different from the first game.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Oh it's definitely not surprising that it's a weak attempt at a sequel and they played it safe. Just disappointing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

spudsbuckley posted:

Dub, but a lot of the poo poo isn't voice acted so it isn't that important.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

spudsbuckley posted:

There's some stuff in the cutscenes that isn't subtitled at all so you'll probably miss something.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

although it is pretty funny to have demons say extremely stupid poo poo like "come at me bro" at you

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Pretty much. I'm not out in the streets screaming "HOLY loving poo poo DESTINY 2!" or anything.

My stance is essentially... hey, this game I liked now has all new content, more cool poo poo, and seemingly A LOT less bullshit.

Time will tell, of course... i guess they could have come out and been like, NEW GRAPHICS 60FPS MOTHERFUCKING NUCLEAR MEGATON WEAPONS or something... but eh... I didn't find much wrong with the way it looked or ran beforehand. I played a lot of hours of it and enjoyed it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they have an entirely new market of people to piss off with destiny 2, and are saving the REAL improvements for after everyone is mad. unless destiny 3 takes off on the nintendo or something, buying them a little more time

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
What's funny is that there are shitloads of videos of people soloing the hardest raids in the game and they STILL won't autogroup people for that poo poo.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I thought they did have raid matchmaking now. That was one of the few highlights.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

its not raid matchmaking, its basically bringing destinylfg into the actual game, which is probably the best solution

any word on if any of the emblems or whatever transfer over from destiny 1? Kind of a moot point about the cross save if nothing transfers

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

to vary this theme a little bit, I bought Bloodborne for $15-20 and enjoyed it overall as my first Souls game but currently have absolutely zero desire to ever play it again, nor any of the others, so if a newbie were going to enjoy a Souls game, I feel like it would probably be Bloodborne, but I was also willing to suffer through a lot of dying to get through it and others aren't.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

morallyobjected posted:

to vary this theme a little bit, I bought Bloodborne for $15-20 and enjoyed it overall as my first Souls game but currently have absolutely zero desire to ever play it again, nor any of the others, so if a newbie were going to enjoy a Souls game, I feel like it would probably be Bloodborne, but I was also willing to suffer through a lot of dying to get through it and others aren't.

You can't vary the theme, I'm the one varied the theme. The theme was already varied.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You can't vary the theme, I'm the one varied the theme. The theme was already varied.

well I'm RE-varying it :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then no, but One shots don't really happen so eh

Haha what. Go to depth 5 and you'll get really goddamn familiar with instakills.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Digirat posted:

Haha what. Go to depth 5 and you'll get really goddamn familiar with instakills.

thats something you have to massively go out of your way to do

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Even then as long as you've been levelling VIT decently the only thing that will consistently one shot you is doing a defiled/cursed/whatever dungeon.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've played Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2 and Bloodborne and I liked DS 2 best, but still I didn't like any of those games enough to finish a playthrough. I understand the appeal and they're certainly popular, but I never have them "click"or anything that people describe here - I didn't feel like playing further regardless of how many times I died to a Boss or even a normal enemy, and I don't feel any worse for that.

What I'm trying to say is - one isn't a worse person by a virtue of not enjoying or finishing those games and you don't have to justify either of those opinions, and certainly not play those games in order to "get it". I do get it, I just don't care for them:)

Edit: and also few care that I don't care, but it's the Internet and I'd already paid for posting privileges, so why not make my inane opinion known

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 19, 2017

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

The full budget cutscenes in yakuza look amazing. The not full budget ones are ps3 tier.

Great game tho

Yakuza 0 is a PS3 game though and you've got to keep in mind that the localized PS4 version of 0 is basically a PS3 game running at a higher framerate and outputting at a higher resolution and that's about it. SEGA were just dragging their feet at localizing the series for so long that it was no longer financially viable to translate the PS3 version.

I mean, it is a valid complaint but at the same time, the game released in Japan a few years ago now. It isn't exactly a new game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao destiny 2 launches with....

1 raid

Imagine paying $60 for this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've given them enough money for Destiny, never again

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

thats something you have to massively go out of your way to do

What? Depth 5 root dungeons are the entire game past a certain point. Instakills/stunlocks to death from full health absolutely happen outside of chalice dungeons too depending on how much you focus on vitality, it's just less common.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

1 raid

IDK, that's pretty typical for a MMO. Most MMOs don't even launch with their 1 raid, they patch them in a couple weeks later.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lord of the Rungs Online launched with two :colbert:

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

1 raid

Hey now, I'm sure there will also be 4 instances you can run over and over again for the first 6 months as well.

Then you can pay 20 bucks for another couple of instances to run over and over again.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Maybe they fixed the dev tools for Destiny 2 and can make maps quicker since they don't have to spend 12 hours regenerating map files after any change no matter how minor, allowing more content quicker. Maybe.

Or hey maybe Bungie should just make a new Myth or Oni game instead of Halo: Another. Myth was so good...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Destiny 2 is gonna make a billion dollars

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Destiny 2 is gonna make a billion dollars

It will but I'd personally enjoy Myth 3: Not The lovely Take-Two One more.

I'm sure I'll still play Destiny 2. I like Bungie's moment to moment gameplay and AI design. I just wish we got multiplayer more along the lines of Halo 3's vehicle and physics-based stuff.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I thought the Destiny 2 stuff looked pretty good and am looking forward to it. Didn't play like hundreds of hours of the first like some people, and don't care about raids, but definitely got my money's worth out of it.

I was looking forward to a new Armored Core, but then when someone posted screenshots of the original I realised I was confused and actually thinking about Front Mission and I was gonna be able to get my Wanza on. I'd like a new Front Mission please. A proper one, not that Front Mission Evolved bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
There has been occasional chatter about a new Front Mission game but beyond SE saying they were working on a concept, there hasn't been any news since 2015. Not even any word on whether it would be an SRPG or action game.