Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Destiny 2 is going to be good and I am looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

bloodychill posted:

There has been occasional chatter about a new Front Mission game but beyond SE saying they were working on a concept, there hasn't been any news since 2015. Not even any word on whether it would be an SRPG or action game.

Aside from Fire Emblem stuff has there been any good console SRPGs recently? Particularly any good non-fantasy ones? Feels like a bit of a dying genre... but then again they're really pumping out Fire Emblem games so :shrug: Maybe trending towards more X-com style tactical games. I guess a lot of this stuff on portable systems.

I used to love Front Mission and Vandal Hearts. Vandal Hearts 2 is one of, if not, my favourite PS1 game. Jeanne d'Arc on PSP was pretty good. There was one other I put a lot of time in, but can't remember the name. Similar to Fire Emblem.

Edit: Tactics Ogre. Closer to FFT than Fire Emblem. Sunk a lot of time into that on the PSP.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 19, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really, on PS4 there's only been Natural Doctrine (aka the Dark Souls of SRPGs) and a bland Dynasty Warriors based one. Utawarerumono is out on Tuesday but it's basically a VN where you occasionally play strategy bits, so.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Steamworld Heist is a cute little SRPG. Some pretty clear inspirations from the new XCOMs but side scrolling perspective with Worms style manual aiming. The structure of the game kinda irritates me though and encourages grinding missions to get enough cash to buy gear + get random loot drops.

Kinda old at this point but there's also Skulls of the Shogun

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
^^ I liked Steamworld Heist, but yeah it got repetitive pretty quickly and there was a specific issue I had with it, but can't remember what. I think there was some way of cheesing it, and in a run based game where you had to grind it was just too tempting when you were about to lose half an hour's progress. Fun though.

I think part of it in general is I like the simple old-school grid based ones and they seem to be almost all targeted at portables now (which at this point essentially means 3DS).

Sakurazuka posted:

Not really, on PS4 there's only been Natural Doctrine (aka the Dark Souls of SRPGs) and a bland Dynasty Warriors based one. Utawarerumono is out on Tuesday but it's basically a VN where you occasionally play strategy bits, so.

Pillow not included is a dealbreaker.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 19, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's the second game, first is next week. No pillow covers with that sadly.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I mean mostly I just want a new non-lovely Front Mission. Or a new non-lovely Vandal Hearts (that downloadable one on the PS3 doesn't count because it was terrible)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

That's the second game, first is next week. No pillow covers with that sadly.

Gotta save the good stuff for last.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
reverse side of pillow is not waifu from the back, no sale

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bloodychill posted:

Or hey maybe Bungie should just make a new Myth or Oni game instead of Halo: Another. Myth was so good...

Myth and Oni belong to Take Two now as part of the machinations surrounding the original Microsoft acquisition.

It's a shame both of those franchises are dead because Myth is unlike any other RTS and character action games (and anime) are now much more popular than they were at the time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My biggest gripe as a Destiny liker was the lack of quality things to do. Also for a loot treadmill type of game there wasn't a lot of loot to go around, honestly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
A new Myth would be a godsend

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sakurazuka posted:

Lord of the Rungs Online launched with two :colbert:

LOTRO was a lot more fun that it should have been to play as a lovely hobbit. Ol' Dongdo Dongledill tricked and japed his way to Angmar, playing the finest midi versions of Journey on his lovely flute (which other players can't turn off), turning invisible and running away from squad wipes, throwing rocks to probably pull enemies that will trigger a squad wipe, throwing snowballs to stop people from stopping squad wipes, and starting calm, rational, daylong, serverlong discourses over how that hack Tolkien ripped off JK Rowling.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Destiny 2 looks a lot like what they would have wanted to do with the first one but couldn't because they decided to drag 360/PS3 along with it. While they didn't announce anything amazing to make it different, I'm okay with that. My biggest gripe with the original was the material grind for upgrades and they largely solved that with patches and expansions. I have a group of five or six friends who will buy it and play the activities with me outside of any goons who play. I've enjoyed PVP (until Bungie fucks it up because they can't figure out how to balance weapons and end up breaking another category by "fixing" one). I'm cautious just because I spent too much between the game and expansions and wish they would have done some sort of discount/deal/anything if you bought stuff when it came out as opposed to giant bundles, but whatever. I know from a cost/play time perspective I got my money's worth.

E: I'm also pretty okay with this because I haven't played ANY of the games released this year but they're all largely single player, so by the time I get to them they'll be cheap.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 19, 2017

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
What is the best PS4 game to play on weed? Rez VR?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah Rez VR is pretty sick

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

edf! edf!

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

limaCAT posted:

Rocket League.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I would imagine No Man's Sky would be fun on weed but I haven't played it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Morby posted:

I would imagine No Man's Sky would be fun on weed but I haven't played it.

Good call, might be the only time anyone looked at those animals positively.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Play NMS on weed

Play Rez on LSD

Play Thumper on PCP

Play Polybius on bath salts

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

spudsbuckley posted:

So, I might start Persona 5 at some stage today. My question is: subs or dub?

How okay are you with the dub mangling the pronunciation of names? The voices themselves are fine, but the voice direction seems rather bad.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Talky RPGs (Persona etc) and open world driving games are my weed games of choice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Winners don't use drugs is what Mortal Kombat II told me, and who am I to question such a game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Winners don't use drugs is what Mortal Kombat II told me, and who am I to question such a game.

William S. Sessions was fired as FBI director for corruption, don't listen to him

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

limaCAT posted:

Everything.

As in the game called Everything.

vvvvv also a good call.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

limaCAT posted:

Locoroco

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Miku

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
on weed

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

limaCAT posted:

Bloodborne

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Anybody get Surge? Reviews make it sound fun until it gets poo poo hard because Prepare to Die that's why you love SOULS RIGHT???

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Did one of these updates disable downloading while in sleep mode or something? Because my ps4 no longer does it. Was looking forward to waking up and playing some Marvel Heroes Omega, 14gb update file waiting for me when I woke my ps4 from sleep mode.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fix posted:

Everything.

As in the game called Everything.

vvvvv also a good call.

vvvvvv is a terrible call!

edit: the answer is journey btw what's wrong with you guys

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imxAeQZjBeI

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hohokum would probably do for that too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Or hey maybe Bungie should just make a new Myth or Oni game instead of Halo: Another. Myth was so good...

Oni made today would be amazing. They'd probably get the network play to work, even.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Any body else get a final boss glitch in nioh?

The dragon heads are supposed to break these barriers but they didnt

Luckily i had a ton of ammo and shot them to trigger the next phase

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The Walrus posted:

vvvvvv is a terrible call!

edit: the answer is journey btw what's wrong with you guys

lol I forgot there was a game called that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Wait, HZD has bad voice acting? What the gently caress do you define as good in a video game, because while it's not bonkers amazing like TLOU, it's still pretty drat great for the main characters and most of the side ones. The jittery animations here and there are creepy and weird, but DXHR had that, too, and it also had pretty respectable VA.

Agreed. And the words said matter. HZD has engaging, interesting writing. Best since FoNV, which it easily surpasses because no need for mods. Which in turn is the real reason you always loving buy the PC version first, mouse aiming being better notwithstanding. I love my PS4 Pro but I'm always going to check if the console version has a reason for purchase beyond exclusivity.