Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Spiritus Nox posted:

How? I thought they could only get at Madoka through Homura. If Homura leaves then Kyubey can't observe Madoka. Thought that was the entire point of putting Homura in her witch prison.

I'm pretty sure they just needed to be able to observe her and see what she was which they did. they might not have been able to get to her right away but they seemed pretty determined to do so and that wasn't a risk homura was willing to take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darox posted:

Homura doesn't want a divine personification of a universal law, she wants the schoolgirl that looked out for her and became her friend.

The schoolgirl's still there, though? The movie doesn't really convey a sense that God!Madoka is something fundamentally different from the Madoka Homura met all those cycles ago, it only conveys that she's gone someplace Homura can't follow. And again, even that's a problem Madoka was perfectly happy to fix on her own.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

The schoolgirl's still there, though? The movie doesn't really convey a sense that God!Madoka is something fundamentally different from the Madoka Homura met all those cycles ago, it only conveys that she's gone someplace Homura can't follow. And again, even that's a problem Madoka was perfectly happy to fix on her own.

Even if all of her personality and memories match up, there's a pretty significant difference between "living as a goddess" and "living as a regular schoolgirl".

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gobbie...boom?

{goblin}{train}{Selbina}!!! {help me out}

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darox posted:

Even if all of her personality and memories match up, there's a pretty significant difference between "living as a goddess" and "living as a regular schoolgirl".

That goes back to what I was saying about Homura wanting control as much as companionship. If you lose the "being Madokami is suffering" angle like I'd say the movie more or less does, then you're basically left with Homura not wanting to let Madoka grow or change or do anything besides whatever makes Homura herself feel good. Which is perfectly in keeping with her character, and the movie does a good job of expressing and exploring that, but it's not a good place for Homura to put herself or Madoka in. It's a perfectly worthwhile story to tell, and I don't even have to have a more optimistic followup if Urobuchi decides he's done, but it's by no means a particular happy ending for either of them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

madon'tka

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEXWRTEbj1I

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

That goes back to what I was saying about Homura wanting control as much as companionship. If you lose the "being Madokami is suffering" angle like I'd say the movie more or less does, then you're basically left with Homura not wanting to let Madoka grow or change or do anything besides whatever makes Homura herself feel good. Which is perfectly in keeping with her character, and the movie does a good job of expressing and exploring that, but it's not a good place for Homura to put herself or Madoka in. It's a perfectly worthwhile story to tell, and I don't even have to have a more optimistic followup if Urobuchi decides he's done, but it's by no means a particular happy ending for either of them.

The twist is nothing makes Homura feel good because she only knows self-loathing. So she may reject Madoka's wishes and pluck her from divinity and all that, but at the same time also pushes her way because she sees herself as a garbage person who doesn't deserve happiness, creating a situation where literally no one is happy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

The twist is nothing makes Homura feel good because she only knows self-loathing. So she may reject Madoka's wishes and pluck her from divinity and all that, but at the same time also pushes her way because she sees herself as a garbage person who doesn't deserve happiness, creating a situation where literally no one is happy.

Well, she feels good while also feeling lovely about doing the thing that made her feel good, I'd say. But we're splitting very depressed hairs at this point.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
free the yuri

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
trying to make analogies to christian mythos like milton's paradise lost is weak af anyway. homura has very little in common with lucifer past face value. lucifer's rebellion came from his insatiable jealousy and pride; being God's chief angel wasn't enough for him when he saw how God looked upon the humans. homura never expressed jealousy toward the other girls, or hubris wrt her place in Madoka's heart. the details of these two fallen angels tell different stories so there's little to derive from comparing them.

i don't like tenuous comparisons w/ the aesthetic theism of madomagi when the series and movies already neatly play into Buddhist philosophies.

people insist on the Law of Cycles being a magical happy happy Yuri Valhalla with cake for everyone but the series implies Madoka won't have a physical place in existence. her being in Rebellion with Sayaka and Nagisa stems from Homura's memories and connection to Madoka, the person; same with the other two. think about the one-way barrier Homura's world had and the Clara Dolls' power as gatekeepers: when her tainted soul gem attracted the Law of Cycles and came into contact with it, the Clara Dolls were able to separate the girls from the 'physical law'. what Homura does later is merely an extrapolation of a power the movie shows she possesses.

Homura and Madoka's connection and the power Homura gained from it is why the girls of the LoC take form in the first place, and people conflate this with them having already been corporeal beings. They aren't—the ending for the girls is a nirvana-like existence, a salvation from suffering. in contrast to this, Akuma Homura is much more like Mara or even the Gnostic Demiurge. you see references to this in her witch form, Homulilly. e.g., in PSP game she's called the witch of Shigan, which is the Buddhist interpretation of the mortal realm.

I think a lot more western viewers would be able to come away from Rebellion with an even-handed view if they were more aware of these eastern viewpoints in play as opposed to the modern Christian ideas many of us are used to.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The best part about Rebellion is the moment you realise the dude Homura sat next to in class also got pulled into her barrier.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
here's my thoughts about the situation Homura created where Literally No One is happy

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Literally no one.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

people insist on the Law of Cycles being a magical happy happy Yuri Valhalla with cake for everyone but the series implies Madoka won't have a physical place in existence. her being in Rebellion with Sayaka and Nagisa stems from Homura's memories and connection to Madoka, the person; same with the other two. think about the one-way barrier Homura's world had and the Clara Dolls' power as gatekeepers: when her tainted soul gem attracted the Law of Cycles and came into contact with it, the Clara Dolls were able to separate the girls from the 'physical law'. what Homura does later is merely an extrapolation of a power the movie shows she possesses.

What about after they beat Homulily, the dream prison disappears, and the 'real' Madoka literally comes riding out of the clouds?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yes, for Homura, exceptionally, as they all note

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

yes, for Homura, exceptionally, as they all note

So what're Sayaka and especially Nagisa's excuses for being there, then?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

But at what cost????

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Miguka

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think it makes a ton of sense to look to Christian mythology when discussing Madoka. Faust is literally written all over the show.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Rebellion ending is a happier ending than the series, definitively.

Thank you, HomuLucifer.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Homuhomu did everything right.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
hail homu

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Space Flower posted:

trying to make analogies to christian mythos like milton's paradise lost is weak af anyway. homura has very little in common with lucifer past face value. lucifer's rebellion came from his insatiable jealousy and pride; being God's chief angel wasn't enough for him when he saw how God looked upon the humans. homura never expressed jealousy toward the other girls, or hubris wrt her place in Madoka's heart. the details of these two fallen angels tell different stories so there's little to derive from comparing them.

i don't like tenuous comparisons w/ the aesthetic theism of madomagi when the series and movies already neatly play into Buddhist philosophies.

Homura and Madoka's connection and the power Homura gained from it is why the girls of the LoC take form in the first place, and people conflate this with them having already been corporeal beings. They aren't—the ending for the girls is a nirvana-like existence, a salvation from suffering. in contrast to this, Akuma Homura is much more like Mara or even the Gnostic Demiurge. you see references to this in her witch form, Homulilly. e.g., in PSP game she's called the witch of Shigan, which is the Buddhist interpretation of the mortal realm.

I think a lot more western viewers would be able to come away from Rebellion with an even-handed view if they were more aware of these eastern viewpoints in play as opposed to the modern Christian ideas many of us are used to.

ur right, homu is Prometheus now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Homura is Judas Iscariot as told by Borges.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Homu became a woman completely, a woman to the point of infamy, a woman to the point of being reprehensible - all the way to the abyss. In order to save us, She could have chosen any of the destinies which together weave the uncertain web of history; She could have been Alexander, or Pythagoras, or Rurik, or Jesus; She chose an infamous destiny: She was Judas.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think it makes a ton of sense to look to Christian mythology when discussing Madoka. Faust is literally written all over the show.

Yeah. Not that Christian angles of interpretation are any more or less valid than any other, but if the show didn't want to invite that angle it didn't have to plaster western Christian symbolism all over itself or have the story of how an all but explicitly catholic church collapsed be a fairly major plot beat.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I just like saying homu

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I've seen posts from webcomic artists and other posters that Rebellion missed the whole point of the original series, and I've seen posts saying it one of the best things to come out of the franchise. Seems like something good to watch.

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 19, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Homuopathy

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

I can't relate to Madoka because I'm gay but perpetually single

I've done some deep introspection and realized

I relate to the Madoka character Homura a lot

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

El Burbo posted:

Homuopathy

Homu Alone.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Homu, Homu on the Range

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I've seen posts from webcomic artists that Rebellion missed the whole point of the original series, and I've seen posts saying. Seems like something good to watch.

a work of art by the artists involved in the creation of the work missing the point of itself is some friggin hot take

over expression of death of the author is irksome to me sometimes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Homu, Homu on the Range

Homu By The Sea, Pt 2.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59BHpVNOsUY

Some parts might be :nsfw:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Check out this music vid GOrf its dope as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l9kzS_B7gg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I've seen posts from webcomic artists that Rebellion missed the whole point of the original series, and I've seen posts saying. Seems like something good to watch.

It's worth watching just for the animation alone, honestly. If you don't like the ending, just do what I did and pretend it's some non-canon thing they made for fun.

• Locked thread