Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that's still reading like a very strange choice to me. depending on how you acquire power weapon ammo, there'd be no reason to not run rockets or lmg's if their acquisition is at all limited. snipers and shotguns in the low-impact class are going to be even more poorly off than they currently are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that's still reading like a very strange choice to me. depending on how you acquire power weapon ammo, there'd be no reason to not run rockets or lmg's if their acquisition is at all limited. snipers and shotguns in the low-impact class are going to be even more poorly off than they currently are.

One of the streamers I was reading yesterday was saying that bodyshots with a sniper are OHK.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

xzzy posted:

Everything that can OHK is in the power slot now.

Though I suppose a minigun doesn't technically one hit kill, but its TTK is still going to be pretty unbeatable.

The minigun you've seen is just an exotic primary slot Auto Rifle. Lmgs are out of the game.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
And obviously the power weapon situation will be balanced by getting more ammo for a shotgun than you do for a rocket launcher.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The minigun you've seen is just an exotic primary slot Auto Rifle. Lmgs are out of the game.

Gonna pour one out on BTRD's grave tonight.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Lol. LMGs cool and good? CUT 'EM.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Tensokuu posted:

One of the streamers I was reading yesterday was saying that bodyshots with a sniper are OHK.

There may be different archetypes. I watched a video of Luminosity sniping. He didn't kill with a body shot. However, he was able to res snipe another player with the same weapon.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

And obviously the power weapon situation will be balanced by getting more ammo for a shotgun than you do for a rocket launcher.

I've heard six rounds for shotty and snipes. Probably about the same for grenade launchers, since they don't OHK. Not sure about rockets or fusions.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So I take it that our character will remain a glassy eyed mute while our Ghost pimps us out to anyone giving it quests?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Really, they should have from the beginning given a bullshit space magic reason that guardians can't talk and sidestepped this whole problem.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Stickies don't OHK anymore. A fully charged melee needs another follow up melee to kill(three melees if it's not charged)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if bosses still have melee attacks at close range, cause if they do it makes pole dancer hunter that much more useless.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

xzzy posted:

Gonna pour one out on BTRD's grave tonight.

:patriot: :911: :patriot: :911: :patriot: :911:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
So, 2 of the four planets were supposed to be in the first game. European Dead Zone and Ios (Which used to be mercury). I am hoping they don't gut the story again like last time as they continue to piece meal segments together. Because that definitely didn't work last time.

http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

Also, let''s hope to God they fixed this part of it...

quote:

“Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches,” said one person familiar with the engine. “They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

haveblue posted:

Really, they should have from the beginning given a bullshit space magic reason that guardians can't talk and sidestepped this whole problem.

Ghost summoned us out of a pile of bones in a car. We're lucky we can do anything except rot.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

haveblue posted:

Just your guardian really. Any non-player Guardian talks. Also your guardian does talk. Might wanna play those early missions again. Some cut scenes he talks to ghost and other characters.
I think they didn't make them a chatter box to cut down conversation times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spiv posted:

I think they didn't make them a chatter box to cut down conversation times.

No, it's purely a cost/benefit decision. It means they don't have to pay voice actors for 6 variants of every piece of dialog, and force people to download more audio files every time a new story mission releases.

Obviously the disk requirements for 9 copies of wav files covering 2 minutes of audio isn't going to be that big a deal, but I'm sure it was part of Bungie's conversation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spiv posted:

Just your guardian really. Any non-player Guardian talks. Also your guardian does talk. Might wanna play those early missions again.

I know you *do* talk sometimes, I'm saying that you shouldn't have. It would have saved them the trouble of hiring and recording all those different VAs and players would never have had a reason to snark about their character not talking if it had been written into the fiction that they didn't.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alteisen posted:

I wonder if bosses still have melee attacks at close range, cause if they do it makes pole dancer hunter that much more useless.

I saw the minotaur one from the strike ground pound and send the guy flying outside the arena into the Vex jizz. So I'm going to say yes they do.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
the 3 new supers look like dogshit. shuffling the weapons around is a garbage bandaid for balancing, apparently they couldn't get their poo poo together after all so just make them use 2 primaries instead what a great solution!

but the game finally has a story and all those rep grinds will be built right in instead of having to wait a few expansions. wooooo!

this was supposed to be a do-over and instead they're doubling down. just shove all that garbage that didn't make it into the first game into this.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mr. Unlucky posted:

the 3 new supers look like dogshit. shuffling the weapons around is a garbage bandaid for balancing, apparently they couldn't get their poo poo together after all so just make them use 2 primaries instead what a great solution!

but the game finally has a story and all those rep grinds will be built right in instead of having to wait a few expansions. wooooo!

this was supposed to be a do-over and instead they're doubling down. just shove all that garbage that didn't make it into the first game into this.

who tf are you

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boy I sure hope Destiny 2 has more of this hard hitting dialogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJtVdOeDc7s&t=37s

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Mr. Unlucky posted:

That's pretty much it from what it looks like.

Two of the planets were already IN Destiny Vanilla too before everything was cut into pieces. European Dead Zone and Mercury (Which is now ios)

From this link.

http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

quote:

The story would have also starred a character familiar to hardcore Destiny fans: Osiris, described by one source as an Obi-Wan Kenobi-like mentor living in an ancient Vex temple on Mercury. Although Osiris has yet to appear in the version of Destiny that shipped, he does have a presence thanks to a competitive multiplayer gauntlet designed in his name: the Trials of Osiris. Groups of flawless victors in Trials of Osiris gain access to the enigmatic wizard’s Mercury temple, which was salvaged from the original story and reused here.

And then this little gem.

quote:

Before anyone could be redeemed, Bungie had to ship The Taken King, which had been going through its own set of development issues. Pre-production on this expansion, which was code-named Comet, had started in late 2013. Two sources say the original plan was to release this major expansion at $60 and include a brand new planet, Europa, as well as a new area on Earth called the European Dead Zone

Welcome to paying for more content we have already paid for 4 times.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 19, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Utnayan posted:

That's pretty much it from what it looks like.

Two of the planets were already IN Destiny Vanilla too before everything was cut into pieces. European Dead Zone and Mercury (Which is now ios)

Bungie really doubling down on DLC, not only do they make you pay for content that's already on the disc, they make you buy a whole new game to get it!!!

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

xzzy posted:

Bungie really doubling down on DLC, not only do they make you pay for content that's already on the disc, they make you buy a whole new game to get it!!!

Ha! It gets better.

quote:

None of that happened. In March of 2014, Bungie rebooted Comet, sources say. The team ultimately decided to focus it around a single major map—the Hive ship that had been cut from vanilla Destiny—as well as a new public space on Mars, complete with strikes and a new raid. (That entire last Mars chunk was later cut and passed to Activision subsidiary High Moon Studios to develop for Destiny’s full-sized 2016 sequel, a source said. They’re helping Bungie make the game.) Over the months, Bungie kept rescoping as they looked more realistically at what they could do, and the final version of The Taken King—the one that shipped last month—wound up focusing solely on the Dreadnaught.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No one cares.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
people don't have utnayan on their ignore list? It's 2017 folks, get with the program

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
So are you saying it's ok to gut an entire game and sell it as a full price retail game, 4 DLC's, and a new expansion made to look like a full new game?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You do realize that when stuff gets cut it's in a state that would still take months of work to become releasable, right?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean, i don't think you will find a single poster enthusiastic about destiny who did not get their money's worth from destiny 1 and it's dlc.

also, yes, if it's fun, i think that's fine. if you're for some reason positing that destiny 1 + all of it's dlc + destiny 2 constitutes a single game's worth of value there has probably only been like three games ever made that are acceptable by your dogshit metrics.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

haveblue posted:

You do realize that when stuff gets cut it's in a state that would still take months of work to become releasable, right?

Oh I definitely realize that. However, according to the kokatu link, a lot of this stuff was functional and ready to roll until the cuts happened.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

On videogames you play for the "new game" smell. Thats why the older is a game, his price goes to zero.

There will be (I hope) a fuckton of "new game" smell in this one, with the new areas, characters, weapons, skills synergies, game modes and secrets. And dances, and awesome looking gear.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Utnayan posted:

Oh I definitely realize that. However, according to the kokatu link, a lot of this stuff was functional and ready to roll until the cuts happened.

No one cares.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
So you could wait 3 years and buy the full game, and guess what, it'll be $60 then too and you won't have anything to complain about, other than lack of people to play with.

Or don't buy the game and go away, I don't give a poo poo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
LMAO I had a coworker at my last job that did that bullshit all the time. "Oh, you play Destiny? Ugh. I liked it, but I hate that they cut half the game and sold it back as DLC."

*explains how game and DLC development actually works*

"Nah I read it on the internet, it was all finished and ready to go they but Activision made them sell it as DLC" :downs:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Legs Benedict posted:

people don't have utnayan on their ignore list? It's 2017 folks, get with the program

His pre-release ME:A posting was gold, and prophetic in a crazy sort of way.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
They didn't totally redo their entire codebase from the ground up? You can't call it a sequel. Owned beotch.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

They didn't totally redo their entire codebase from the ground up? You can't call it a sequel. Owned beotch.

They would if they were a Japanese developer. :laugh:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If y'all didn't spent all your money on avocado toasts you'd be able to afford DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If y'all didn't spent all your money on avocado toasts you'd be able to afford DLC

I literally pay for it with american tax dollars.

Yours specifically. Obama himself directed $20 of your return to my paycheck. This year it will be slightly more so I can get D2.