Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I wish Gungeon was more amenable to modding. I was just struck by the idea of a "passive drops only" type run. Maybe start with one random gun and your sidearm, and see how far you can trick them out with mods. Could even the pilot's pistol/nailgun/lowercase r be made workable with enough passives slapped on to it?

Seeing those Binding of Isaac style gamebreaking synergies more often would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Grayshift posted:

I wish Gungeon was more amenable to modding. I was just struck by the idea of a "passive drops only" type run. Maybe start with one random gun and your sidearm, and see how far you can trick them out with mods. Could even the pilot's pistol/nailgun/lowercase r be made workable with enough passives slapped on to it?

Seeing those Binding of Isaac style gamebreaking synergies more often would be nice.

I don't think that's really possible because there's so little redundancies in the passives.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's also arguably not much of a a challenge since most mimics aren't that hard to kill and it means that you basically don't need keys except for the Oubliette and the occasional locked door.

Also you can get an item that makes them friendly and open without fight. For some reason, I usually see vendor selling both at the same time :v:

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug

Grayshift posted:

https://modthegungeon.eu/

Might interest you some, I never use it, but I believe it's compatible with the latest version of gungeon, minus the most recent beta test.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Other good blue chest weapons: Glacier (this saw Scruffy through a boss or two the run before last), Barrel, Mahoguny, Poxcannon, Banana, Siren, Sniper Rifle...

Elephant Gun, Balloon Gun, Membrane, and Tangler as well. Blue Chests own.

Also, Crown of Guns + Remote Bullets (coincidentally both Blue Chest items) is one of those combos everyone ought to experience at some point.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Samuel Clemens posted:

Also, Crown of Guns + Remote Bullets (coincidentally both Blue Chest items) is one of those combos everyone ought to experience at some point.

Yesterday I got Crown of Guns + muscle relaxant + scope. Quickest and easiest lich so far :v:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
One of these times you need to do a spice run, cheat yourself in a piece of spice at the beginning of the dungeon run, then you need to eat every spice you find as long as you have more than one heart and it's not in a shop.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Another pulse-pounding episode, in which I make it to Bullet Hell, talk about how nice it would be to find a hell muncher, and fail to notice one sitting in plain sight right before the boss until I start editing.

Shortcuts/Polsy

Who's next to ENTER THE GUNGEON?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's the Riddle of Steel, dammit. I can't believe that you're this rusty on your Conan canon.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

one thing you don't do that i've started to do is you take a single shot at treasure chests. Mimics will activate immediately off of a single shot so I usually fire a round of the starter pistol into them before i open them.

e: the ruby bracelet is the "tediore" reference for this game, which i'm kind of surprised about. I could have sworn this game had a gun that you threw away when you reloaded.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 19, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You can officially say you killed the Lich with the Rogue Special.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Hey uh, scruffy... you were saying how much you wanted to see the hell muncher...

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Jade Star posted:

Hey uh, scruffy... you were saying how much you wanted to see the hell muncher...

dscruffy1 posted:

Another pulse-pounding episode, in which I make it to Bullet Hell, talk about how nice it would be to find a hell muncher, and fail to notice one sitting in plain sight right before the boss until I start editing.

I know. I saw it when I was seeing how it rendered this morning.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Wow, Gunslinger's Ashes with Electric Bullets is pretty dang nifty! Having the projectiles persist where you place them so you can just make like an electric spider is pretty rad. Are there any other guns in the game with a similar effect?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
ah right. wasn't reading the thread, your video just showed up in my 3am youtube recommendations of what to watch instead of going the gently caress to sleep.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jade Star posted:

ah right. wasn't reading the thread, your video just showed up in my 3am youtube recommendations of what to watch instead of going the gently caress to sleep.

Ahh yes, my phone also dislikes me getting to sleep.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Jade Star posted:

:same:
At least it's a fun distraction from my busted AC.

Count another sale of this game to come out of this LP.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Rolling into enemies to dodge is completely legit if you have armor of thorns :v:

edit:
You are pilot, you can have potion of gun friendship AND double vision (side effect of using both at the same time might include maniacal laughter)

Xarn fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 19, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

No! You turned down the double vision + gun friendship killer combo!!!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I like to think that if he did use that combo he wouldn't have had space for that ration that saved him

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Even for as little damage as it apparently does, and how redundant it then becomes with your starter guns having infinite ammo and thus always being the better choice, I still love it aesthetically that you can toss empty guns at enemies. That's always been one of my favorite gun comedy things, where someone empties a gun at someone, can't hit them with anything, and then tosses the gun in frustration and ends up bonking them on the noggin. Gets me every time. :laugh:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I feel that Trorc has the best good to crap item ratio of all the shopkeepers. I've almost never seen him without something that wouldn't be immediately useful. Affording his items is a different story.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Did Scruffy ever get all the Master Rounds in one run?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did Scruffy ever get all the Master Rounds in one run?

Not yet, he always ends up missing one and it's usually the third one from what I can remember.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
If you want a super OP floor clearing combo, the Raiden Coil and metronome vaporizes everything

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I am slowly catching up to the LP, Scruffy, and I have a challenge for you to spruce things up; when you encounter the boss doors next run, get close enough for the door to open.

That's it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does the Riddle of Lead increase ammo drops or something? That was getting ridiculous.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Devolver Digital sale on Steam this weekend, 50% off Enter the Gungeon and a bunch of other cool games.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/devolver/

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Does the robot only take a curse penalty from taking spice? What happens when you get to 10 curse or more? I would think there isn't much difference between jammed enemies and normal enemies for a robot besides how many shots they take and all the money they drop.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

So I got this game thanks to the LP and needing an Isaac replacement and goddamn do you make it look easy, Scruffy. I can just about reliably get to the second floor after logging about 6 hours on it, but I've only ever made it to the second floor boss once (Gorgun) and died VERY quickly afterwards.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Miruvor posted:

https://modthegungeon.eu/

Might interest you some, I never use it, but I believe it's compatible with the latest version of gungeon, minus the most recent beta test.

This Mod gives me an idea of a challenge Scruffy would do

Bag of Skittles

Spawn a chest of every color at the start (From Brown to rainbow) but you cannot collect anything else for the rest of the run besides Ammo Boxes

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

SugarAddict posted:

Does the robot only take a curse penalty from taking spice? What happens when you get to 10 curse or more? I would think there isn't much difference between jammed enemies and normal enemies for a robot besides how many shots they take and all the money they drop.

Yes, Dwarf Fortress FUN! happens, and maybe but I'd expect the Bullet or Hunter would be better for a maximum curse run due to said FUN. I mean, Scruffy did just kill the Lich as the Pilot, but that'll get old and needlessly cruel real fast.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Here's my usual playthrough of this game:

Level 1: Make it through with relative ease until the boss. Can rarely get a master round if I'm on point and have a good gun.
Level 2: Struggle almost constantly, can occasionally kill the boss if I have a good gun and enough health to tank inevitable hits.
Level 3: Die horribly, usually before the boss.

I'd ask for help but I think the problem is I just suck at this game.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

Level 1: Make it through with relative ease until the boss. Can rarely get a master round if I'm on point and have a good gun.
Level 2: Struggle almost constantly, can occasionally kill the boss if I have a good gun and enough health to tank inevitable hits.

Don't worry, this is pretty much the standard for anyone new to the game, eventually you'll get better and get to level 5 with relative ease.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CirclMastr posted:

generally I prefer posted:

So I got this game thanks to the LP and needing an Isaac replacement and goddamn do you make it look easy, Scruffy. I can just about reliably get to the second floor after logging about 6 hours on it, but I've only ever made it to the second floor boss once (Gorgun) and died VERY quickly afterwards.

Something I think that has gotten lost between the videos and all these posts is that I had 150 hours in this game before I started the LP. It took me a little while to get good :v:

I decided on what to do for the next video and it is pretty brutal actually.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

dscruffy1 posted:

You may only use your sidearm on the bosses, disabling all passives? ;)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

Trying to give me advice while I livestream the game at you?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CirclMastr posted:

Trying to give me advice while I livestream the game at you?

berryjon posted:

You may only use your sidearm on the bosses, disabling all passives? ;)

Close!

Jammed/Polsy

Also featured: a really bizarre boss room on the first floor. I still don't get that one.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The boss room you've encountered is a weird map generation bug. It's incredibly rare, and I have no idea what causes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

How utterly bizarre, makes me wonder what would happen if you encounter the wall with that bug.

• Locked thread