Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

X-O posted:

It's not that cut and dry. There's actually some stuff that went down recently regarding that and is still in process. It's probably going to end up being a joint custody thing at best because almost everything identifiable about them was created by Marvel and when IDW revived the franchise they changed them up quite a bit. Even many years after the ROM license lapsed Marvel still used the Dire Wraiths in stories and merchandise, even in the last couple years.

Marvel dropped the case, recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Don't really give a poo poo about Ward, but I'll miss Radcliffe.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if Radcliffe was the type to back up his consciousness/brainscan somewhere else.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Spatial Tracking, Recruitment and Investigation of Known Extraterrestrials

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
S.H.E.I.L.D.S.

Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division in Space.

Done.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can they use the acronym S.T.A.R.S.?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Policing Enforcing Navigating In Space

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Who's to say that anyone other than Coulson is out there?

That whole diner scene and the way he was talking before it felt very much like, if not a "good bye," at least a "until we meet again" without letting them in on it. Not sure why, but I kept on thinking he was going to peace out at any moment.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

metztli posted:

That whole diner scene and the way he was talking before it felt very much like, if not a "good bye," at least a "until we meet again" without letting them in on it. Not sure why, but I kept on thinking he was going to peace out at any moment.

That's because they thought the US government was coming to arrest them.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

howe_sam posted:

That's because they thought the US government was coming to arrest them.

Yes, that's certainly what they showed - I just felt like, with the whole secret he had with Robbie, and the vibe I was getting off of him from the way he played the scene right before the diner, that Coulson was thinking it was going to be, for him, more than just "we are about to be arrested." Clark Gregg played it a bit more wistful than I would have thought, given that they've been fugitives before. Him being the only person we see at the end reinforced that feeling.

Ah, well - we'll find out next year. Hell of a season!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

When they all froze up in the diner I was convinced for a small moment that they were all LMDs. Which would have been amazing way to wrap up the whole series, the gang still out there, on the run but always one step ahead.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Edmund Lava posted:

In the comics Dracula had a base on the moon, so yes.

How this isn't a best seller and revolutionary work on par with the CoIE, I'll never know.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

metztli posted:

My favorite part was Coulson's exasperated "Here we go." when they cut the lights.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

How this isn't a best seller and revolutionary work on par with the CoIE, I'll never know.

It was featured in some very good comics too, like Captain Britain & The MI13.

Dracula was Islamophobic and Doctor Doom mocks him for it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can they use the acronym S.T.A.R.S.?

I'd watch a pod where they try to shut down Umbrella Corp.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The MSJ posted:

It was featured in some very good comics too, like Captain Britain & The MI13.

Dracula was Islamophobic and Doctor Doom mocks him for it.

Considering that the real Vlad fought Muslim armies that would make sense. Of course he fought Christians too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Doctor Doom. Evil authoritarian dictator who has killed thousands and routinely attempts to steal the Devil's power, but who has a nuance history of being brought to tears by 9/11 but opposing Islamophobia.

Oh to be trapped outside the MCU and in really bad FF movies.

At least he's not a Nazi like Ward.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

Considering that the real Vlad fought Muslim armies that would make sense. Of course he fought Christians too.

That's pretty much the reason the writer of that comic made him Islamophobic. Dracula specifically said that Muslim countries are getting more technologically advanced and have more superpowered people now, threatening Europe in the process. He approached Doom because Latveria and Transvylvania both exists near the borders of Europe and the Islamic world.

STAC Goat posted:

Doctor Doom. Evil authoritarian dictator who has killed thousands and routinely attempts to steal the Devil's power, but who has a nuance history of being brought to tears by 9/11 but opposing Islamophobia.

Oh to be trapped outside the MCU and in really bad FF movies.

At least he's not a Nazi like Ward.

Doom said he views racism as being based on assumptions. So someone as old as Dracula should be above that, especially as Doom describes it Dracula is just a carrier of a magic disease.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 20, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The MSJ posted:

That's pretty much the reason the writer of that comic made him Islamophobic. Dracula specifically said that Muslim countries are getting more technologically advanced and have more superpowered people now, threatening Europe in the process. He approached Doom because Latveria and Transvylvania both exists near the borders of Europe and the Islamic world.

Doom said he views racism as being based on assumptions. So someone as old as Dracula should be above that, especially as Doom describes it Dracula is just a carrier of a magic disease.

Vlad with an American flag in the background. Comics have the subtly May with a claw hammer. :911:

At least Vlad isn't sporting the stars and bars.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Vlad with an American flag in the background. Comics have the subtly May with a claw hammer. :911:

At least Vlad isn't sporting the stars and bars.

Also that is the flag the Apollo astronauts planted on the moon. They're having that conversation at the landing site.

Did I also mention the writer is British and created a Muslim woman superhero of Pakistan descent that predated Kamala Khan?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I hate that they put in pointless gore just because they can. After seeing the eyeball being drilled out my wife left the room and declared that she hated SHIELD. Now if I want to watch it, it doesn't count as family time :(

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Your wife sounds like a pussy

no offense

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I mean, it wasn't a real eye. In real life or the show.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nelson posted:

I hate that they put in pointless gore just because they can. After seeing the eyeball being drilled out my wife left the room and declared that she hated SHIELD. Now if I want to watch it, it doesn't count as family time :(

I mean, it's a good show

but I would say maybe be 15 or older if you're gonna watch it

I still can't get over corpse-coat Hive. Couldn't look at him, just made me horribly uncomfortable.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nelson posted:

It's a robot

Like there was no gore by definition just wires

:sever: imo

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Make sure your wife is 15 or older.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Bobbi being tortured by Ward was probably the grossest thing I've seen on the show.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PunkBoy posted:

Bobbi being tortured by Ward was probably the grossest thing I've seen on the show.

Yeah, that was legit uncomfortable.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Gotham is exponentially dumber than Agents of SHIELD, and yet has way more explicit gore. Like the scene where one character gets her hand cut off and the camera lingers in close-up on the stump with spurts of blood jetting out of it. And that's played for laughs.

Then there's the Jim Gordon's Face Off™ scene.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

PunkBoy posted:

I feel like this season has been more gory (maybe violent is a better word) than the previous ones, but you are right in that this scene is the hardest to watch in the series. If your wife walked out on robot murder maybe check her for wires.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Fauxshiz posted:

I feel like this season has been more gory (maybe violent is a better word) than the previous ones, but you are right in that this scene is the hardest to watch in the series. If your wife walked out on robot murder maybe check her for wires.

I agree about the Bobbi scene but fortunately she didn't see that one.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

nelson posted:

I agree about the Bobbi scene but unfortunately she didn't see that one.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My wife decided to stop watching AOS because it was getting more violent. We have an impressionable toddler, so that's actually a concern. I had decided to keep watching because I didn't think it was more violent than it had been. Next episode was the one with Simmons stabbing the snot out of of Fitzbot. My son was sitting on my lap when the scene happened and I tried to rotate him away from the screen so he wouldn't see what really looked like a murder. He kept twisting his head to see and I kept rotating the chair so he couldn't. We went back and forth for the length of sequence and later I had to admit to her that the show was not kid safe.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Kid's got to learn how to murder robots sometime.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Darth Brooks posted:

My wife decided to stop watching AOS because it was getting more violent. We have an impressionable toddler, so that's actually a concern. I had decided to keep watching because I didn't think it was more violent than it had been. Next episode was the one with Simmons stabbing the snot out of of Fitzbot. My son was sitting on my lap when the scene happened and I tried to rotate him away from the screen so he wouldn't see what really looked like a murder. He kept twisting his head to see and I kept rotating the chair so he couldn't. We went back and forth for the length of sequence and later I had to admit to her that the show was not kid safe.

i'm permabanned poster robotstomper58, and i

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Kid's got to learn how to murder robots sometime.

He needs to be prepared for the robocaust.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Merking robots is the very cornerstone of a young boys life.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

More violent?! First episode is Ward punching a guy unconscious through a utensil drawer. And then they're shooting everyone dead for like four episodes before they actually get ICErs. Seriously, it's a cool show if you're a teenager or older but it wasn't really a for-kids show from the beginning unless you're the kinda person who watched R-rated movies when you were like 11.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Eh, when I was a kid I feel like you saw people shooting guns and punching the bad guys in every TV show. It's kinda generalized violence and typically not very explicit or bloody, whereas a woman screaming and stabbing her boyfriend in the chest, or a very human-looking eye getting power drilled, are much more real, and I would definitely think the one could cause nightmares where the other wouldn't.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Eh, when I was a kid I feel like you saw people shooting guns and punching the bad guys in every TV show. It's kinda generalized violence and typically not very explicit or bloody, whereas a woman screaming and stabbing her boyfriend in the chest, or a very human-looking eye getting power drilled, are much more real, and I would definitely think the one could cause nightmares where the other wouldn't.

I still think this isn't exactly toddler-friendly programming at the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
They splatted the brains of that HYDRA head back at the turn of season 2.5. Remember? His head went PKEW and he was all dead and poo poo it was awesome

• Locked thread