Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
At 65 hours, four beasts, and only a handful of memories I thought I'd finally check out the castle. Figured I'd go in, explore, maybe find the Hylian shield and leave to come back later because I still have tons of poo poo to do in the world. I ended up beating Ganon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Phantasium posted:

Since you brought up the flight challenge, there's already videos of people using a flying machine above Hebra and then floating all the way to Eventide and the thing maxes out at 10,000 meters at some point I think like 3/4 of the way there?

Quick use of the Pythagorean Theorem says that makes it maybe a little bigger than the 9 km x 7 km estimates above.

Also brings up another question: how big is too big? Like would anyone want a game map that's significantly bigger than this? I've already sunk probably 140 hours into the game and I still have just 99 shrines and like 260 Koroks, and thinking about iterating on this formula with an even bigger world just seems kind of daunting. For me this is probably about the limit where it feels unbelievably huge without being oppressively impossible to get to it all.

On the other hand, I remember that feeling when I first started and Link runs up to the cliff edge and it shows you this seemingly unlimited vista; now that I've been around the block a few times I look around and I feel like everything is a lot smaller and closer than it was at first; just psychological probably, but it's also that the weather appears to be getting better and I can see farther more of the time. It seems like when I clear shrines the weather improves, more so than just the specific instances of perma-rain or perma-storms as part of the challenge. Or maybe I'm just hanging out more lately in regions that don't get bad weather as often?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I#m actually surprised it's bigger than Skyrim, once you know your way about I feel like the map becomes familiar quickly. I felt like I was travelling through the same places all the time (not a criticism!)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are definitely parts of the map that I haven't been to at all and parts that I don't really know all that well because I kind of rushed through them. I think this size of map is perfect. It takes more than a few minutes to run across. Unless you get really high up, you can't really see the ends of the map. A lot of older games are saved by there being lots of draw distance fog so they just seemed bigger. You can see almost forever in this game and it still feels really big to me.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I put in 100 hours, 85 shrines, 150 korok seeds, beat ganon, and had about 70% of the side quests. Then I started googling stuff to complete the game a bit more and get more koroks and there are STILL areas (especially for koroks) that I haven't even been to. The map size is ridiculous, and I like it.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I put in 100 hours, 85 shrines, 150 korok seeds, beat ganon, and had about 70% of the side quests. Then I started googling stuff to complete the game a bit more and get more koroks and there are STILL areas (especially for koroks) that I haven't even been to. The map size is ridiculous, and I like it.

Same. I was wandering around the north part of the map looking for Korok seeds thinking to myself "WTF why would anything be up here? Oh look! Luminous stones and ore!" and spent like 2 hours just smashing rocks, shooting the dragon, and collecting Korok seeds.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I've sort-of said this already but I think what makes this game stand out when compared to other open world games is the pure videogameyness of the whole thing. The worlds of the Fallouts and Skyrims and Witchers are very cinematic and lore-heavy and there seems to be a need to sell you on every game mechanic having some modicum of believability. There's always an in-universe explanation as to why you're doing repetitive videogame things. In BotW it seems the designers prioritized making the game world fun on a mechanical/systems level and left the lore/contextualization for later. There's a ~level design~ feeling to the overworld rather than a ~real lived-in place~ one and I really really dig it.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Gaspy Conana posted:

I've sort-of said this already but I think what makes this game stand out when compared to other open world games is the pure videogameyness of the whole thing. The worlds of the Fallouts and Skyrims and Witchers are very cinematic and lore-heavy and there seems to be a need to sell you on every game mechanic having some modicum of believability. There's always an in-universe explanation as to why you're doing repetitive videogame things. In BotW it seems the designers prioritized making the game world fun on a mechanical/systems level and left the lore/contextualization for later. There's a ~level design~ feeling to the overworld rather than a ~real lived-in place~ one and I really really dig it.
That's what I like about Nintendo games. They are video games first and foremost. This concentration on gameplay and apathetic views on most of their lore gives their worlds that unique absurdist atmosphere which is absolutely amazing.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Vookatos posted:

That's what I like about Nintendo games. They are video games first and foremost. This concentration on gameplay and apathetic views on most of their lore gives their worlds that unique absurdist atmosphere which is absolutely amazing.

The art direction is usually really good too which entirely makes up for the "not 4K super realistic shiny views and people" imo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think the world is just really well laid out and contextualized with landmarks and unique features. What I mean is any place I can think of in the game world, I can usually also remember what's around it and generally where it is and how to get to it.

In a game world this big, that is a sign of REALLY good level design.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think the world is just really well laid out and contextualized with landmarks and unique features. What I mean is any place I can think of in the game world, I can usually also remember what's around it and generally where it is and how to get to it.

In a game world this big, that is a sign of REALLY good level design.

One of my best moments was getting the last 3 memories. I'd been using the painter guy to check them off, but I pulled up the last 3 and I instantly knew where 2 of them had to be. It's a big world but I've seen so much of it and most of them are really distinct landmarks.

How do I check hours? I've been assuming the # on the map next to the percentage was hours, but there's no way I'm that fast?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

How do I check hours? I've been assuming the # on the map next to the percentage was hours, but there's no way I'm that fast?

If you're on Switch there should be a list of most played titles and rough hour counts on your profile.

Wii U just has a playtime count app thing.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

One of my best moments was getting the last 3 memories. I'd been using the painter guy to check them off, but I pulled up the last 3 and I instantly knew where 2 of them had to be. It's a big world but I've seen so much of it and most of them are really distinct landmarks.
Bleh, the last two memories got me.

I hadn't been to the Wetlands stable or area at all, so the 12th picture just looked like any other wooded area to me (albeit, with that particular kind of tree).

The funny part is I was really close to being right on the money with #13. I figured, since it was the last one, and had guardians in it, it had to be the place where Link went down for the count. So I instantly assumed it was that Torin Wetlands area near Tarrey Town that has like 50 dead guardians. Somehow I had missed the area next to the Dueling Peaks stable with lots of dead guardians.

Then, later, I realized I had missed the journal at Robbie's ancient tech lab that specifically says where Link was seriously wounded. After having read almost all the BS journals I somehow missed that one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I decided to cheat this morning and looked up where to get the other two pieces of the climbing set. Zero regrets, such a huge quality of life improvement.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I NEVER 100% games ever but after the huge nostalgia trip this game has sent me on it was only right to tackle Ganon after i got the post-120 shrines outfit.

Now i just gotta hunt down all those dragon parts :negative:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hacker :filez:

I'll be getting that set as soon as the amiibo ships :argh:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

I decided to cheat this morning and looked up where to get the other two pieces of the climbing set. Zero regrets, such a huge quality of life improvement.

I didn't look them up, and in fact I still haven't found the bandana naturally, but I sure as heck paid 4,000 rupees for it when I found someone selling it, and I was happy to do so. Earlier in the game that would've been highway robbery, but by that point I was already Mr. Moneybags so I ended up spending 12,000 on that and two pieces of the rubber armor because why not? All I spend money on now is arrows and I have literally over 1,000 arrows when you add up all types.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I really love how well things stack in this game. Just having pants was a great improvment. All 3 way godtier. So good.

I never took off climbing unless I wanted to swim a long way. Lighting was happening. Or in a beast

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

So i don't plan on buying any of the jewelry or upgrading any of my armor to level 4 except the Armor of the Wild, is there any reason for me to not just sell all my gems?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

So i don't plan on buying any of the jewelry or upgrading any of my armor to level 4 except the Armor of the Wild, is there any reason for me to not just sell all my gems?

If you already have all the accessories (earrings, tiaras, whatever) from gerudo, and you don't want to upgrade any armors, then go nuts and sell everything.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Martman posted:

Bleh, the last two memories got me.

I hadn't been to the Wetlands stable or area at all, so the 12th picture just looked like any other wooded area to me (albeit, with that particular kind of tree).

The funny part is I was really close to being right on the money with #13. I figured, since it was the last one, and had guardians in it, it had to be the place where Link went down for the count. So I instantly assumed it was that Torin Wetlands area near Tarrey Town that has like 50 dead guardians. Somehow I had missed the area next to the Dueling Peaks stable with lots of dead guardians.

Then, later, I realized I had missed the journal at Robbie's ancient tech lab that specifically says where Link was seriously wounded. After having read almost all the BS journals I somehow missed that one.

There's a traveler that walks through that area and says something about it too. They really should have put a hint at the stables though.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

well, it's been one hell of a journey, but it's time to end it:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Please don't kill yourself.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
More like, please don't get your horse killed. I took the royal horse to check out the ranch and a silver horse archer bokoblin shot it from under me in about 30 seconds :negative:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I had the best boomerang duel with a Lizalfos ever. Managed to get him twice with one throw, hit him again, caught his and mine together and threw his back in his dumb face. This game is pretty fun.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Kassad posted:

More like, please don't get your horse killed. I took the royal horse to check out the ranch and a silver horse archer bokoblin shot it from under me in about 30 seconds :negative:

Good thing you can get it back if you really want to.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah, I know. It was still a pathetic anticlimax, I wanted to go guardian hunting after that. As it is, I took the bokoblin's horse.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Finished the game last night with all shrines and 150 or so Koroks at ~100 hours.

What a loving ride.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The only thing I can think of that would have made this game better is if a fully orchestrated version of this had kicked in while I was running across a mountaintop somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOo5yr76RJs

e: lmao after 100+ hours of play time i just discovered that whenever you knock Bokoblin skeletons apart you can pick up the skull and literally dropkick it off a cliff

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 21, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Tim Burns Effect posted:

The only thing I can think of that would have made this game better is if a fully orchestrated version of this had kicked in while I was running across a mountaintop somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOo5yr76RJs

e: lmao after 100+ hours of play time i just discovered that whenever you knock Bokoblin skeletons apart you can pick up the skull and literally dropkick it off a cliff

Videos from this series may quench your thirst https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NccSaUwoibM

Oh btw guys I think I found the most rear end in a top hat Korok. If not the most rear end in a top hat, then clearly top 5.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ProjektorBoy posted:

Videos from this series may quench your thirst https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NccSaUwoibM

Oh btw guys I think I found the most rear end in a top hat Korok. If not the most rear end in a top hat, then clearly top 5.

And you can't even drop a rock on his head

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the thing that bummed me out most about this game is there were two mountains named after link's awakening landmarks and all that was atop them were koroks :argh:

i wanted an egg

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ProjektorBoy posted:

That's my boy. Was climbing up there just to jump off, and she was happy to see him.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

One of my favorite things about BotW's map is that the whole tropical/forest area that spans the south-southeast isn't really connected to anything necessary for story completion, so it was a bunch of new ground when I was cleaning up shrines. The fishing village was a big surprise.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Something that took me way too long to figure out - food that boosts your maximum hearts or your maximum stamina is automatically a full heal/stamina refresh. Cooking just one hearty truffle/durian/whatever is a full heal and cooking just one enduring carrot is a full stamina refill. Absolutely amazing for keeping everything up and running.

Still haven't found all of the great faeries, but I've hit the point in the game where I'm miniboss farming. I notice a lot of people are recommending +Attack food/gear, but honestly rocking defense food and a level 3 soldier set means that I take very little damage when I inevitably screw up while fighting them. It's a nice set of training wheels that I'll start replacing with proper damage upgrades once I get more comfortable.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Something that took me way too long (and watching a video) to realize:

If you've got a decent bow and a steady hand, you can shoot down /any/ cliffside ingredient. Running along the base of a cliff and shooting down Swift Violets and Rushrooms and collecting them after they fall is /much/ quicker than climbing up the cliff to get them. And even if you miss, you'll probably still be able to collect the arrows.

Also, ancient arrows that miss can be re-collected, just like ordinary arrows. So you can get a decent picture of an Ancient Arrow (though without the Glowy knife blade) by shooting one into a wall and taking a picture while it's on the ground ,producing a less-cluttered picture than using the selfie capability.

I also kind of wonder what would happen if Link got hit with an Ancient Arrow somehow.

Edit: Another thing I didn't realize until last week: The game will let you start a fire /anywhere/ that you can drop firewood, as long as it's out of the rain/water and you can ignite it. This includes inside buildings, and atop the elevator pads of shrines (which are conveniently sheltered from ambient weather)

maltesh fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 22, 2017

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

maltesh posted:

If you've got a decent bow and a steady hand, you can shoot down /any/ cliffside ingredient.

i just upgraded my climbing gear with a billion swift violet a few days ago! :negative:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Something that took me way too long to figure out - food that boosts your maximum hearts or your maximum stamina is automatically a full heal/stamina refresh. Cooking just one hearty truffle/durian/whatever is a full heal and cooking just one enduring carrot is a full stamina refill. Absolutely amazing for keeping everything up and running.

Still haven't found all of the great faeries, but I've hit the point in the game where I'm miniboss farming. I notice a lot of people are recommending +Attack food/gear, but honestly rocking defense food and a level 3 soldier set means that I take very little damage when I inevitably screw up while fighting them. It's a nice set of training wheels that I'll start replacing with proper damage upgrades once I get more comfortable.

I realized this about health like the day the game came out, so I'm sitting here reading your post going all :smuggo: and then I go "...wait, stamina too?"

Hahaha

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

maltesh posted:

The general estimates I've seen have been about 9 km east-to-west, and just under 7 km north-south.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/5amsmj/analyzing_botw_map_size_cad_approach_google_earth/

Size comparison map from the post, comparing Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, and Ocarina of Time.

Holy poo poo all of Ocarina of time basically fits on the Great Plateau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What amiibos unlock special armor sets?