Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Oh, I called it in all right, I was just mystified that HP goes home so early, or at least the office does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Any debris on the highway/interstate is worth a 911 call, even just big hunks of tire tread from a blowout. Some idiot is gonna swerve and cause a wreck.

I call that poo poo in whenever I see it and the dispatchers have never had an issue with it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
We have 101 for "non emergency" stuff in the UK, it basically auto-connects you to the correct main station desk/control room for the area you're in at the time.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Almost got into a 6+ car pileup today. I'm driving down a rural highway on my way to a rock quarry in the middle of no where which is one lane in each direction, not divided, 55 mph speed limit, and every so often widens just a bit to include a dedicated turn lane for whatever side country road is considered "important". I'm not sure why, but the road a packed in both directions, I can see 4 cars ahead of me and at-least two behind me, all doing 45mph because someone clearly isn't comfortable doing the speed limit. Whatever. All of a sudden, the cars in front of me panic stop, I panic stop, and luckily the car and uhual truck behind me don't rear end me. I'm wondering WTF, when I see some car on a side road must have gotten impatient waiting for a gap, and decided to just go, causing the panic stop situation. Said idiot decides to proceed into the oncoming lane, which causes them to panic stop, thankfully no collisions. Now, with heavy traffic stopped in all directions, the idiot pulls into a turn lane, sitting the wrong way, and starts motioning that everyone else should go, they'll wait for an opening to join the oncoming traffic. Thankfully traffic in my lane started moving since the obstruction was cleared, and I was able to get the gently caress out of the area before something happened.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Geoj posted:

Encountered what was possibly the stupidest bro driving a lifted F-250 earlier this week during a trip to Costco. I was cruising in the middle lane of the highway, he was sitting about two carlengths back in the left lane just pacing me.

I encountered slower moving traffic so I signaled and changed lanes to pass, bro proceeds at his previous pace & distance for about 15-20 seconds, then suddenly wakes up to the fact that I was in front of him (guessing he was loving around on his phone) and started raging the gently caress out. Aggressive tailgating, following in both of my blind spots with his tire on the line and swerving across all three lanes repeatedly to change which blind spot he was in.

I started recording him with my phone so I'd have proof if he caused an accident. This just seemed to piss him off more, and he started recording me back while continuing his tailgating and general lovely driving. Eventually he figured out I was just going to ignore him and finally hosed off, but not before flipping me off with one hand while holding his phone in the other and turned around to face me. Oh, and then attempted to pass another car on the right hand shoulder and committed at least a half-dozen other moving violations before speeding off out of view.

Going to see if I can edit the video down to the last 30 seconds or so (most of it is poorly framed watching him in my mirrors until he passed me) when I get home and post it here.

Video from this.

Prior to 3 minutes is a bunch of back and forth watching him in my mirrors if you want to see it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Family reunion finished, I'm heading out of Houston back home on I-45 North earlier today. I'm finally far enough away that the highway has FINALLY gone down to 2-lanes each way (quite a ways out but still somehow effectively Houston as anyone who'd driven through/around Houston knows). I'm sitting in the right lane and I see a semi with one of them car-delivery-trailers jam-packed with cars going off to some dealership coming down on the on-ramp ahead of me. He's a big loving truck loaded with cars, I'm driving a tiny decade+ old PT-Cruiser, he has to merge and traffic's still reasonably thick so that he'll be there for five minutes looking for an opening big enough to accelerate into if he has to stop. Oh and the on-ramp is kinda-awkward since the frontage road is above the main highway at this point, leading to more hassle for the truck.

"Hmm, well there's a space here for me to scoot over into the inside lane and let him over." Thinks I. "It will be about perfect for the truck to slip in and I'll honestly move back over to my lane for space once he's in anyways since he's a big honking truck and won't really be accelerating."

The moment I do that the grey SUV I slipped ahead of suddenly rockets out from behind me and out into the lane I just occupied, and the truck wants to occupy. I'm not sure if they were upset that I happen to dare to be ahead of them, or if the driver of the vehicle suddenly saw me make a gap and "idiot highway racecar" AI took over. Either way this fuckwit was suddenly zooming right into the space that I'd cleared for the truck, forcing the semi to slam on the breaks and come to a complete stop anyways to avoid T-boning this SUV and driving it straight into the grass median.

And that is my contribution to "idiots nearly awarding themselves a Darwin Award for not respecting long-haul cargo trucks."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There's a tight merge/yield on my usual commute, and without fail, some dumbass in the left lane will be doing the world's longest overtake when I try to make room for traffic merging on the short ramp. I think part of the problem is it's at the bottom of a hill, so people unconsciously speed up, but not enough to overtake quickly.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Driving this morning I had an SUV in the lane next to me rocketing past me to hit every red, it'd be green by the time I got to it, they'd build up speed, rocket past me to the next light which would inevitably be red, but green by the time I got to it and they'd build up speed and rocket past me and.....

I got a good laugh out of it at least. Traffic was light enough this morning that nobody interrupted their Sisyphean efforts to beat the red.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

"Like a glove"

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

PCOS Bill posted:

Driving this morning I had an SUV in the lane next to me rocketing past me to hit every red, it'd be green by the time I got to it, they'd build up speed, rocket past me to the next light which would inevitably be red, but green by the time I got to it and they'd build up speed and rocket past me and.....

I got a good laugh out of it at least. Traffic was light enough this morning that nobody interrupted their Sisyphean efforts to beat the red.

My brother drives like that and it drives me nuts. No matter how much I explain to him that the lights are timed so you can just never stop with some luck and adherence to the speed limit he just keeps on doing it anyway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"Like a glove"

:perfect:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Video title is stupid, it's more like a fancy shed. The dude just drives off oblivious to the destruction though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHET0jxi_3A

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 21, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Powershift posted:

the sattelite cam caught an idiot doing the exact same thing

I may be a worthless poster but I wanted to point out that photos at those zoom levels are taken by aircraft instead of satellites :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

I may be a worthless poster but I wanted to point out that photos at those zoom levels are taken by aircraft instead of satellites :)

What are planes but extremely temporary satellites only capable of fractions of an orbit.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

Video title is stupid, it's more like a fancy shed. The dude just drives off oblivious to the destruction though.

Looks like he ran the red turn signal too

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

sleepy.eyes posted:

My brother drives like that and it drives me nuts. No matter how much I explain to him that the lights are timed so you can just never stop with some luck and adherence to the speed limit he just keeps on doing it anyway.

It depends on the area and often the time of day. My morning commute is with the lights for "rush hour" (or at least what university avenue in Madison Wisconsin gets for rush hour) , but even still the lights are timed so that if you're going the speed limit, you'll catch a lot of red, but at 5-10 over (what traffic tends to go) you'll catch the end of greens. I'll occasionally accelerate hard if I think it'll help me get to the front of the line for the next red, because then there's a decent chance that I'll catch mostly greens the rest of the way. Traffic tries to all do that but you always get two cars side by side matching each other's speed and ruining it for everyone, or tons of people that think going past 2000 on the tach is going to explode their car. It's partly an issue of poor timing, but I don't think complaining about that sort of thing will go anywhere.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Thank you City of Calgary, it was really swell of you to shut down a whole bunch of streets downtown for an entire long weekend. Because there's no people who actually live here, right?

Every. loving. Long. Weekend.

Why not inconvenience commuters for a change instead of loving over residents again?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shortspecialbus posted:

It depends on the area and often the time of day. My morning commute is with the lights for "rush hour" (or at least what university avenue in Madison Wisconsin gets for rush hour) , but even still the lights are timed so that if you're going the speed limit, you'll catch a lot of red, but at 5-10 over (what traffic tends to go) you'll catch the end of greens. I'll occasionally accelerate hard if I think it'll help me get to the front of the line for the next red, because then there's a decent chance that I'll catch mostly greens the rest of the way. Traffic tries to all do that but you always get two cars side by side matching each other's speed and ruining it for everyone, or tons of people that think going past 2000 on the tach is going to explode their car. It's partly an issue of poor timing, but I don't think complaining about that sort of thing will go anywhere.

:same:, except here it’s fifteen mph over (or fifteen mph under).

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

shortspecialbus posted:

Sunday, 6:10 AM. I rode straight through town at 3 mph over the limit and caught every green on the way (about 12 of 'em). Feels good, man.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

Remember, lights timed for 35 are also timed for 140

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

PCOS Bill posted:

Remember, lights timed for 35 are also timed for 140

Every German car driver knows this. Except the VW folks minus Porsche.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Colostomy Bag posted:

Every German car driver knows this. Except the VW folks minus Porsche.

What about Audi? :)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I once got a string of green lights on Highway 100 in Milwaukee County.

It was weiiiiiiiiiiird.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dee eight posted:

Sunday, 6:10 AM. I rode straight through town at 3 mph over the limit and caught every green on the way (about 12 of 'em). Feels good, man.

I hate it when the lights go into late night mode, where they disregard timing and steet priority and cycle the moment any car arrives on a side street.

Yeah it’s annoying to sit at a red light for any length of time when there’s no one around, but I’d rather wait at a light for a short while once at the beginning of my trip than double the time it take to travel along the arterial.

Most of the time those lights are avoidable anyway if you plan around them, avoid left turns and stick to bigger streets.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 22, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Michael Scott posted:

What about Audi? :)
Irrelevant; Audi drivers don't care about lights.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Part of the problem is it's not exactly timed consistent either. There's some stretches where you want to be going 5 over, and some where you need to be at least 10 over and have accelerated fairly quickly. But only some of the time, because it's not a 1:1 cycle between the lights because of some larger streets that merge in that screw up the consistent timing. But if you try to zoom to the front of a line and be the first to a red light, and then accelerate fairly quickly off of it, it still greatly improves your chances of skipping several long red lights. But I'm sure I still get people shaking their heads at me trying to race to a red light because it doesn't always work out because of said hosed up cycles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

shortspecialbus posted:

Part of the problem is it's not exactly timed consistent either. There's some stretches where you want to be going 5 over, and some where you need to be at least 10 over and have accelerated fairly quickly. But only some of the time, because it's not a 1:1 cycle between the lights because of some larger streets that merge in that screw up the consistent timing. But if you try to zoom to the front of a line and be the first to a red light, and then accelerate fairly quickly off of it, it still greatly improves your chances of skipping several long red lights. But I'm sure I still get people shaking their heads at me trying to race to a red light because it doesn't always work out because of said hosed up cycles.

I think that's more because of the move to sensor based timing. I know most of the smaller streets, especially later at night, will only cause the larger street to go red if a car is there.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Geoj posted:

Video from this.

Prior to 3 minutes is a bunch of back and forth watching him in my mirrors if you want to see it.

Excuse my ignorance but why were you "cruising in the middle lane"? Both the other lanes seemed rather empty...

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

iospace posted:

I think that's more because of the move to sensor based timing. I know most of the smaller streets, especially later at night, will only cause the larger street to go red if a car is there.

Sure, but during what amounts to Rush Hour you have some lights on say (i'm making these up, the ratio is the important bit) 30 seconds main road, 15 seconds side road green and some lights on 30 main 20 side, some 30 main 30 side, and so forth. It gets screwy because of Allen Blvd and Whitney Way, and Midvale Blvd to a point. The timings for all the other lights aren't really set to sync with those very well, which is why rushing helps sometimes, if you get into a lucky pattern.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Warthog posted:

Excuse my ignorance but why were you "cruising in the middle lane"? Both the other lanes seemed rather empty...

Goon rules of a three lane highway:

A) don't cruise in the right lane, it's for merging.
B) don't cruise in the center lane, it's for fast traffic
C) don't cruise in the left lane, it's for passing only.

So stay home and shovel Doritos into your mouth.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Warthog posted:

Middle lane avoids merging/exiting traffic. I generally operate on the idea that the left lane is for passing only, otherwise if you're not blocking anyone or being blocked stay where you are. If I were to frequently encounter faster moving vehicles coming up behind me in the center lane I'd move over into the right, but that rarely happens as I drive faster than 95% of other traffic and this area generally isn't congested enough for me to be a hindrance to anyone.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Everybody thinking like that will result in two congested left lanes and an empty right one... happens around here all the time.
Just keep as far to the right as possible, move to the middle when needed (merge ahead, slow car in front of you).
Go farther left when there's a c.ar cruising in the center lane.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Warthog posted:

Everybody thinking like that will result in two congested left lanes and an empty right one... happens around here all the time.
Just keep as far to the right as possible, move to the middle when needed (merge ahead, slow car in front of you).
Don't do this.

VVV I love your avatar.

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 22, 2017

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
There's multiple lanes for a reason, and it's not so we can all putter along single file in the right lane like idiots

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I find it great when semis travel in the middle lane when driving through a city with a crapload of exits.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

`Nemesis posted:

I was so distracted by the music that I got confused by the empty trailer. Then the video froze and an arrow pointed to the house! Thank goodness as I would've missed it.

More people need to edit graphics onto their dashcam videos. Get the csonkastrator going.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Warthog posted:

You may have missed the part where I stated that I drive faster than most other traffic on the road. Law enforcement here gives you 10 over the posted limit on a limited access highway before even thinking about pulling you over, so that's what I typically average. The only people faster than me are ones who blatantly disregard the speed limit and emergency vehicles. In addition, I mentioned if traffic conditions warrant it I'll move into the right lane so I won't be a rolling roadblock. This rarely happens.

I think you'll find that like most AI regulars I'm not the person you need to be worried about when it comes to hogging lanes. I'm either going to pass you as quickly as possible before moving right again, or else if you're going faster than me I'll gladly let you by so you can be ticket bait.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Geoj posted:

You may have missed the part where I stated that I drive faster than most other traffic on the road. Law enforcement here gives you 10 over the posted limit on a limited access highway before even thinking about pulling you over, so that's what I typically average. The only people faster than me are ones who blatantly disregard the speed limit and emergency vehicles. In addition, I mentioned if traffic conditions warrant it I'll move into the right lane so I won't be a rolling roadblock. This rarely happens.

I think you'll find that like most AI regulars I'm not the person you need to be worried about when it comes to hogging lanes. I'm either going to pass you as quickly as possible before moving right again, or else if you're going faster than me I'll gladly let you by so you can be ticket bait.

I like the amount of irony in this post. It was quite blatant.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

I find it great when semis travel in the middle lane when driving through a city with a crapload of exits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah? I think I5 through Sac is a good example of his point the right 2 lanes are a mess of highways merging and splitting with short on ramp runs. Put through traffic to the left and semis in lane 2 (of 4-5) and everyone's life is better.
Up here in Chico on 99 we even do it one better. All through traffic is directed to the left lane including trucks because the onramps to the elevated section of the highway are terrible and the merge is like three dashes long.