Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Why would you draw that? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:bignews:

TBS has greenlit "Close Enough," an animated series created by Regular Show's JG Quintel!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

No more thinly-veiled "soda and chicken wings = booze" references, we're moving up to the real thing!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

quote:

TBS Greenlights Close Enough, New Animated Series from J.G. Quintel
Turner’s TBS has greenlit Close Enough, a new animated series from Regular Show creator J.G. Quintel. The surreal comedy about a family growing up without getting old marks the first collaboration between Cartoon Network Studios and Studio T, both divisions of Turner. It also marks Quintel’s first project for the company since his Emmy®-winning work on Cartoon Network’s long-running Regular Show. TBS has ordered 13 episodes of Close Enough, which is slated to launch next year. Close Enough is a surreal take on transitioning from 20-something to 30-something. The show centers on a married couple juggling such everyday challenges as parenthood, friendship, ham theft, stripper clowns and choosing the right day care. “We couldn’t be more excited to add one of animation’s most impressive and popular voices, J.G. Quintel, to our growing slate of animated series,” said Brett Weitz, executive vice president of original programming for TBS. “J.G. hit the center of the demo target with Regular Show, and we’re counting on him to bring this younger and more engaged audience to our network.”

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I wonder if it'll rerun on [adult swim] or is it out of the target demo?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://d23.com/lin-manuel-mirandas-next-disney-project-just-ducky/?share_token=f5608b8a85

Disney sure knows where their audience is for this thing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

holy poo poo Travis McElroy called shot

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

already seeing people angry he's Hispanic now.

Because of course.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

TFRazorsaw posted:

Because of course.

Why do people care jesus christ he's a loving duck :psyduck:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Because of course.

When Thunderbirds Are Go first came out, aside from people bitching that the near-identical opening wasn't identical enough, people were raging about a minority woman being added to the cast in a clear case of political correctness Gone Mad. None of them apparently realised that she was literally an amalgamation of two previous characters, which you would think that self-proclaimed fans of the franchise would notice immediately.

And that's why the British get exactly the kind of half-baked crap that they barely deserve in the first place.

Edit: Also this:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Because of course.

I'm surprised they aren't more upset that he doesn't start out as an insanely good accountant/bean counter for all five minutes he doesn't spend in the suit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

holy poo poo Travis McElroy called shot

Sorry?

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

https://twitter.com/RedlineSSB/status/865584026857250816

https://twitter.com/RedlineSSB/status/865585564678057984

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The racial politics of duckburg can get weird.

You've got your ducks, dogs, and pigs, and if you think about it too long, it seems like the world is very duck supremacist.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SlothfulCobra posted:

The racial politics of duckburg can get weird.

You've got your ducks, dogs, and pigs, and if you think about it too long, it seems like the world is very duck supremacist.

The old Scrooge McDuck comics have an inverse "Spot the Anime Protagonist" problem where Scrooge is a very simple cartoony anthropomorphic duck but everyone else is a fairly detailed and realistically-proportioned person with a weird nose and ears.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They're called Dogfaces.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Note that those are not the designs for Gizmoduck and Gyro. That is the design for Fenton in and out of suit.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
*bangs hands on table*

Where's Darkwing Duck!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cartoon Network is showing Ben 10: Race Against Time for some reason and man...this movie is bad.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I caught the tale end of it. Gwen's plea to Ben/Eon had less emotional depth than a girl that age begging to get her ears pierced.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I see the new DuckTales is still dancing around the fact that Gizmoduck's code word is basically "talkin' bullshit"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

xcheopis posted:

I caught the tale end of it. Gwen's plea to Ben/Eon had less emotional depth than a girl that age begging to get her ears pierced.

Yeah, the problem was that Ben and Gwen were not good actors, they did a bad job.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I liked the Scooby-Doo movies CN did a few years ago.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Wow. Why didn't anyone tell me about Right Now Kapow? I randomly turned to it and got a few chuckles out of it. It's like the old sketch comedies from the 90's-early 2000's but animated so they can do more without it looking like "complete" poo poo.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

It's pretty enjoyable! A bit predictable, I think, but I like it anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's going to be a special Clarence event June 5 at 4, which seems way too early, but then again, this is probably just them burning off stuff like they are Powerpuff Girls.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
This hit CN Latin America recently, some little shorts series called Villanos by Alan Ituriel. There hasn't been any official English release of it yet but I thought it was pretty decent.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think rewatching old songs from it, one thing that I like about Phineas and Ferb was that Jeremy wasn't just a generic love interest. He could be funny and interesting too, largely because he was always excited by what her brothers were up to so acted as a great foil for Candace - one one hand she wants her Mom to finally shut down her brother's exploits due to worrying about their safety, but she also doesn't want to ruin Jeremy's day a lot of the time, so often his presence makes the difference in her behaviour. Also I like his answers to her generic questions, like not nicknaming her because he just likes her name how it is, or trying to tell her the main reason he's attracted to her but being constantly interrupted during the great song "I'd like to set the record straight." His body language in that song really sold the character because he isn't just sitting in the makeshift boat/umbrella with Candace, he interacts with the animals, he dances using the handle of the umbrella as a pretend microphone, he's clearly having fun with a ridiculous situation. I really liked Jeremy.

I also liked that Stacey had her own things going on, right down to being in on Perry's double life by the end of the show but helping him keep his cover by not behaving differently.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 23, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Thompsons posted:

This hit CN Latin America recently, some little shorts series called Villanos by Alan Ituriel. There hasn't been any official English release of it yet but I thought it was pretty decent.

There actually is a a English version. A lovely cam version of it was uploaded by one of the writers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRzu3M1jB5s

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of Phineas and Ferb, have there been any new episodes of Milo Murphy's Law lately? Disney XD is pretty bad at scheduling.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Cartoon Networks is no better with Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! I finally managed to see the final episodes of the season when a DVD box set of the entire first season was released in France.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Honestly CN is worse than Disney XD:
WB Animation (who make shows like Teen Titans Go, Bunnicula, Be Cool Scooby Doo, various other DC superhero shows etc) made a show for Disney XD called Right Now Kapow, and while it ended up getting the shaft (going on hiatus halfway through season 1 then getting cancelled and is having the rest of its episodes burned through this month), at least the episodes are airing

Basically the only WB shows that get good treatment these days are Teen Titans Go and Mike Tyson Mysteries

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is Mike Tyson Mysteries still getting new episodes? I haven't seen a commercial for it in forever.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Speaking of Phineas and Ferb, have there been any new episodes of Milo Murphy's Law lately? Disney XD is pretty bad at scheduling.

Milo Murphy isn't nearly as popular as Phineas and Ferb, so I guess they started the "schedule new episodes by throwing darts at schedule board" process earlier this time.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

raditts posted:

Is Mike Tyson Mysteries still getting new episodes? I haven't seen a commercial for it in forever.

I just looked it up and season 3 started two weeks ago

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Tyson Mysteries goes away soon, though. SA's kind of the only place I've ever seen people talking positively about it, everyone else kind of has ethical hangups with it (whether it's because Tyson is a convicted rapist, or because [as] is making fun of an old boxer for being punch-drunk basically).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mike Tyson Mysteries is funny as hell and it wouldn't have felt out of place in a classic Adult Swim lineup. Also, it has Norm MacDonald as a main voice.

As for ethical/political considerations: someday, entertainment will move out of the Rovian mindset that we have to agree with a show's politics in order for it to be truly great. I hope that day is soon. Tyson did the crime, did the time, and has stayed out of trouble since. You can make the point that Adult Swim is exploiting Tyson- someone who's clearly not all there- for their own gain, but it's pretty hard to prove for certain. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to watch it over either/both of those things, but I don't want a show to be considered terrible because of things that have nothing to do with its content.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 26, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

get that OUT of my face posted:

As for ethical/political considerations: someday, entertainment will move out of the Rovian mindset that we have to agree with a show's politics in order for it to be truly great. I hope that day is soon. Tyson did the crime, did the time, and has stayed out of trouble since. You can make the point that Adult Swim is exploiting Tyson- someone who's clearly not all there- for their own gain, but it's pretty hard to prove for certain. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to watch it over either/both of those things, but I don't want a show to be considered terrible because of things that have nothing to do with its content.
everyone will have a reason why they like or dislike something and sometimes it will involve the message of the show or the people behind it. that's a part of life. it's also a part of criticism. I enjoyed 24 as a trash action show but it is full of the most garbage politics that can't be ignored. i can't enjoy woody allen films because the man is a drat monster.

but i'm a little sensitive to this because especially in the realms of cartoons, people used to say this about the extremely racist Looney Tunes like Coal Black, all the time, to defend their enjoyment of it. "it was a product of its time, they're still amazing cartoons" "you can't judge it for its racism because everyone was racist back then", what have you. no, you can't divorce it from its context like that. mistakes were made, we learn from them and we grow. bob clampett, hey he's a fantastic director. coal black is still a racist pile of garbage. study the animation if you want. like it if you want, i don't care. it's still a searing fireball of hate and ignorance that crash-landed into a pile of animation cels.

e: mike tyson is going to be a sore subject for a lot of people too, whether they felt the punishment was light, or that he has never fully owned up to it, or whatever the reason. and if we're talking politics he endorsed trump, and that association is hard to shake as well, especially for anyone negatively impacted by the current administration. i don't know why i wrote this many words about this but i think people's issues are legit. if we consider entertainment to only be escapism (and I don't), and someone wants to escape the lovely times we're in, but what they're gonna consume has someone that in one way or another has contributed to those lovely times, then they'll watch something else, and not give it a chance. and that's fine!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 26, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
"Steven Universe is doing a 1 hour special event? Well, I know JUST what to do about that" - Daron Nefcy

The Fandom asks & the Fandom receives! 🌟🌟 S3 premieres July 15th with a two-hour movie event, The Battle for Mewni!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Senerio posted:

"Steven Universe is doing a 1 hour special event? Well, I know JUST what to do about that" - Daron Nefcy

The Fandom asks & the Fandom receives! 🌟🌟 S3 premieres July 15th with a two-hour movie event, The Battle for Mewni!

People have been wondering whether Star will ever turn evil and embrace the darkness. Based on that promo, they were barking up the wrong Butterfly.