Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
S M O O T H O P E R A T O R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This is a very good show

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yep, if Jimmy's gotta burn then he's gonna make Chuck burn too, hell yeah.

lotus circle posted:

Maybe it's a little of both.

The best cons of all have a kernel of truth to them.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh hey, the guy running the community service bus is the breaking bad cleanre/disappearer right?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

NowonSA posted:

The best cons of all have a kernel of truth to them.
it's def this - he was channeling that into the performance

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

oh hey, the guy running the community service bus is the breaking bad cleanre/disappearer right?

The disappearer was played by Robert Forster.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Can someone explain to me what Mike's plan was for Nacho? He wants him to switch the pills and then...switch them back?

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Can someone explain to me what Mike's plan was for Nacho? He wants him to switch the pills and then...switch them back?

Yeah after he swallows the bad one. The authorities are going to look at the pills after his death.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

AndyElusive posted:

Nacho isn't just going to put one bad pill in the bottle, he's swapping the bottle of real pills for fake ones. Mike knows that once something bad happens to Hector, people are likely to check the pills to make sure they were good. So once he takes a bad pill, Nacho needs to swap the good ones back in or else people will know that someone swapped the pills.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

mallratcal posted:

The disappearer was played by Robert Forster.

Gun guy then?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

KoRMaK posted:

Gun guy then?

I don't think he's anybody from Breaking Bad

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

Gun guy then?

I think he was just some rando.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Man, that ending was something. I was buying the sob story up to the second he mentioned Chuck (of course). Not really rooting for Jimmy as much now, hitting Chuck any more after the breakdown at the hearing seems like poor form.

That was some great television.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I was buying what Jimmy was selling until he mentioned Chuck, as well. That was good stuff

Edit: Looks like Lawyers can be suspended if they have serious mental health issues.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 23, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

CaptainCaveman posted:

Nacho isn't just going to put one bad pill in the bottle, he's swapping the bottle of real pills for fake ones. Mike knows that once something bad happens to Hector, people are likely to check the pills to make sure they were good. So once he takes a bad pill, Nacho needs to swap the good ones back in or else people will know that someone swapped the pills.

It's the same thing Jimmy does when he switches Chuck's Mesa Verde documents.

Honestly I wouldn't have thought Nacho would need Mike to point that out to him.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's a good plan.

You're lucky Mike was there to scrutinize you, Nacho.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

FreeKillB posted:

Man, that ending was something. I was buying the sob story up to the second he mentioned Chuck (of course). Not really rooting for Jimmy as much now, hitting Chuck any more after the breakdown at the hearing seems like poor form.

That was some great television.

Exactly, there's absolutely no reason for him to do it other than pure spite because his own life is going down the tubes.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
He even tells Kim to get over her misgivings for Chuck by moving forward and not worrying about the past while refusing to do that himself, it's just stunning.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Cnut the Great posted:

Exactly, there's absolutely no reason for him to do it other than pure spite because his own life is going down the tubes.

Yeah, as much as we all hate Chuck he is fighting on the right side of things, we do know that Jimmy with a law degree is incredibly dangerous and he should be stopped. I love the character but Saul Goodman is a horrible person. So now we have the 100% pure spiteful shot that we all should have seen coming but somehow didn't, and I think we'll be seeing Jimmy be almost completely selfish from here on out using whoever he can to get ahead. Hell, after seeing this I expect the final straw in the Kim relationship will be him using her as a tool to make a Slippin' Jimmy plan (or more likely a Saul-style legal thing) work without her knowledge, something with a big payoff that could springboard him into become Saul.

And of course the tragic irony of it is that if Chuck had embraced him at the firm, hell even if he hadn't gotten in his way, Jimmy would have turned out alright. Even with as much as he'd messed with him so far, if he hadn't done the tape ploy and gotten him the suspension I can easily see Jimmy running the side by side practice with Kim for a very long time. We see the low points of Elder Law plenty, but we also see some highs like when he found Sandpiper or when he's calling up all his clients about his suspension and after a bunch of awful calls his last one is to a WW2 veteran who seems incredibly chill and nice to talk to, and I felt like we saw a glimmer there of Jimmy being content, if not exactly thrilled, to do Elder Law, and one of his biggest wishes was to be able to practice law with Kim. Remember when he was showing her the office he wanted to open with her she was getting the big fancy office and his was more modest. So with Kim there and being able to practice law with her he was on course to be a pretty good guy, the kind of guy who might take her out for drinks and talk about cons but not run any.

What we're going to inevitably see now is that without the ability to be a lawyer Jimmy will feel like he has no choice but to slip.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Call me callous but I'm on team Jimmy. Chuck? gently caress that guy. Not posting to be contrarian, either. Just shows that different people can have different takeaways.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Jimmy with a law degree if Chuck is a normal brother is probably still practicing Elder Law and living a relatively normal life.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm not an insuranceologist but I don't think they can gently caress with his poo poo just because Jimmy tattled that he had a bad day at one hearing

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm not an insuranceologist but I don't think they can gently caress with his poo poo just because Jimmy tattled that he had a bad day at one hearing

That's why he mentioned a transcript of the hearing. The one where Jimmy presents all the sundry evidence of Chuck's mental illness. I imagine that would be enough for the insurance company to want to look into things even further and go, welp.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jimmy's face at the end was the best gently caress you face.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

That's why he mentioned a transcript of the hearing. The one where Jimmy presents all the sundry evidence of Chuck's mental illness. I imagine that would be enough for the insurance company to want to look into things even further and go, welp.

And Jimmy also made a point of mentioning that Chuck had been loving up clients' paperwork.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah I know but if nothing actionable happened what could they do. I can post all day about being a bad driver but my car insurance can't gently caress with me until I actually get into an accident.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Jimmy's face at the end was the best gently caress you face.

There's only one thing going through Jimmy's mind in that moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUwEIt9ez7M

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

drunken officeparty posted:

Yeah I know but if nothing actionable happened what could they do. I can post all day about being a bad driver but my car insurance can't gently caress with me until I actually get into an accident.

Never underestimate the ability of an insurance company to screw you over on a mere whim.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

gently caress Chuck. I don't care if Jimmy is only doing this out of spite. Whether right or wrong, when you take everything away from people, they will want to extract revenge. It's human nature and if Chuck is so loving smart he should know his Machiavelli well enough to either have left Jimmy alone or killed him.

Chuck played the game, and he doesn't get to quit just because he's ahead.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What if we go two or three episodes without seeing Chuck, and when he finally comes back it turns out that he can now actually harness electricity and use it to torture Jimmy a la Emperor Palpatine?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

gently caress Chuck. I don't care if Jimmy is only doing this out of spite. Whether right or wrong, when you take everything away from people, they will want to extract revenge. It's human nature and if Chuck is so loving smart he should know his Machiavelli well enough to either have left Jimmy alone or killed him.

Chuck played the game, and he doesn't get to quit just because he's ahead.

I don't think this is a healthy life philosophy.

Jimmy already got his revenge on Chuck, twice over really. And all things considered, he mostly got away with it. Chuck hasn't made a single move against Jimmy since the hearing and if anything appears right now to be trying to finally move on from the feud between them. And I wouldn't describe Chuck as "ahead." He's still a sad, lonely, mentally ill old man whose only remaining reason to muddle forward--his professional reputation--has been utterly taken away from him. Jimmy has his health, he has Kim, and he even has his law license back in a year. So his insurance premiums are higher--so what? I guess he'll just have to do what Kim said and move into a smaller office with her, and maybe swallow his pride and let Kim help him out financially, at least for a little while.

Actively endorsing pure revenge as a moral good is not something I can get on board with.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't think this is a healthy life philosophy.

Jimmy already got his revenge on Chuck, twice over really. And all things considered, he mostly got away with it. Chuck hasn't made a single move against Jimmy since the hearing and if anything appears right now to be trying to finally move on from the feud between them. And I wouldn't describe Chuck as "ahead." He's still a sad, lonely, mentally ill old man whose only remaining reason to muddle forward--his professional reputation--has been utterly taken away from him. Jimmy has his health, he has Kim, and he even has his law license back in a year. So his insurance premiums are higher--so what? I guess he'll just have to do what Kim said and move into a smaller office with her, and maybe swallow his pride and let Kim help him out financially, at least for a little while.

Actively endorsing pure revenge as a moral good is not something I can get on board with.

I never said it was healthy. I said it is how people act. I'm not making any moral statement. I'm saying that when you do something, you get a reaction; and that reaction from the target has nothing to do with your moral code.

There is no law of nature that says that reaction has to be healthy, smart, productive, proportional, or even self-preserving by the target.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Saying 'gently caress chuck. I don't care if Jimmy is only doing this out of spite.' seems like a moral statement to me.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I could watch Jimmy And The Film Crew antics all day.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
So Mike's conversation with the concrete paving woman...he was trying to avoid going full time into the cleaner business because he didn't want his granddaughter to ever know that her Pop-pop was a criminal. And hearing that woman talk about her husband going missing in the Gila National Forest made him realize that even if he gets caught in some cartel crossfire, his family would likely never figure out the truth about what happened to him. Right?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Jimmy's getting revenge Iago style where he has nothing to gain and it will destroy him but he's too pissed off to stop himself.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

So Mike's conversation with the concrete paving woman...he was trying to avoid going full time into the cleaner business because he didn't want his granddaughter to ever know that her Pop-pop was a criminal. And hearing that woman talk about her husband going missing in the Gila National Forest made him realize that even if he gets caught in some cartel crossfire, his family would likely never figure out the truth about what happened to him. Right?
I found Mike pretty inscrutable this episode. Mike gonna Mike.

e: fwiw, my guess is that he just wants to make sure that whatever stunt Nacho is desperate to pull off doesn't explode and catch him in the fallout.

e2: maybe this is Mike's abrasive way of being altruistic and trying to make sure Simple Simon the rear end man and Nacho don't do anything too too stupid for their own sakes? doesn't really feel right.

e3: one more idea: somehow Mike had a 'no half measures' moment and realized he was already in too deep to cut the underworld out of his life. Not sure how to tie that to the 'husband vanishes while hiking' story though.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 23, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I could watch Jimmy And The Film Crew antics all day.

Cue card girl best girl

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
A man with financial problems who is too proud to turn to others for help becomes a criminal to make ends meet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Mike, PI, takes on his first case.

• Locked thread