Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does any company make an attachment for normal projectors to allow them to project at a right angle, or even to turn a normal projector into one of those ones that actually projects behind it? I'm thinking of moving around my furniture, but i don't have a lot of options given where the projector has to go.

If it helps, I'm not looking for anything "home theater" quality, I'm just looking for something that will get me a viewable picture on the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does any company make an attachment for normal projectors to allow them to project at a right angle, or even to turn a normal projector into one of those ones that actually projects behind it? I'm thinking of moving around my furniture, but i don't have a lot of options given where the projector has to go.

If it helps, I'm not looking for anything "home theater" quality, I'm just looking for something that will get me a viewable picture on the wall.

Change angle: Not really, no. No market for it, you'd have image geometry issues, major loss of lumens, probable focus issues...the list goes on.

Rear projection is a thing still, though good pre-made screens for it are expensive. If you aren't picky there may be some cheap DYI solutions that work for you. I'd check around on avsforum.com, I guarantee someone there has done it.

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void
The bulb popped on my BenQ HT1075, which has only been in service since September 2015, always ceiling-mounted. We're well under the 3500 hours they advertise, but past the 500 (and certainly the six months) that keeps it under warranty.

Is it worth shipping it to BenQ and having them run full diagnostics on it, or should I just replace the lamp myself? This seems very soon for this to happen.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

pork minstral posted:

The bulb popped on my BenQ HT1075, which has only been in service since September 2015, always ceiling-mounted. We're well under the 3500 hours they advertise, but past the 500 (and certainly the six months) that keeps it under warranty.

Is it worth shipping it to BenQ and having them run full diagnostics on it, or should I just replace the lamp myself? This seems very soon for this to happen.

Bulb replacement is generally easy. If it popped too soon - shatter, you mean? Or just go out? heat is the most likely culprit, followed by manufacturing defect in the bulb itself. Those are really the only two likely options.

If it's heat, you may have an issue with clogged filters, or a problem with the fan, or you turned it off and on again too soon, which most PJs try to prevent but is possible to do particularly if you unplug it and plug back in.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah just sweep the glass out and put in a new one, poo poo happens, seen it happen on a friend's once.

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void

Ixian posted:

Bulb replacement is generally easy. If it popped too soon - shatter, you mean? Or just go out? heat is the most likely culprit, followed by manufacturing defect in the bulb itself. Those are really the only two likely options.

If it's heat, you may have an issue with clogged filters, or a problem with the fan, or you turned it off and on again too soon, which most PJs try to prevent but is possible to do particularly if you unplug it and plug back in.
It shattered, yeah. There doesn't seem to be much dust in it, I believe it's a filterless model, and it was a cold day when it popped, so :shrug:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

pork minstral posted:

It shattered, yeah. There doesn't seem to be much dust in it, I believe it's a filterless model, and it was a cold day when it popped, so :shrug:

The 1075 is a filter-less model, which I didn't know before (many DLP PJs are but not all). Might be a defective bulb; it happens.

Use a decent mini-vac to get all the dust and tiny shards out - and be careful, bulb shards can be sharp as hell - and replace it. It's easy to do yourself, really and you can get bulbs for that model for like $100 or so. For the first few hundred hours you'll get a brighter picture too though DLP in general is sensitive to bulb life, more than LCD or SXRD anyway.

That is a decent model PJ as I recall so probably worth the investment just to update the bulb.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Are there PJs without color wheels? Is that a thing?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

revmoo posted:

Are there PJs without color wheels? Is that a thing?

Many, considering only DLP uses them.

LCD is big in the budget market. SXRD in the mid-to high PJ space. Once you go beyond 50k you are in the realm of single-chip DLP which doesn't require a color wheel but I imagine that isn't worth discussing for most.

Sony and JVC make the class-leading SXRD PJ's in the under 10k market. Or more accurately, LCoS, which Sony calls SXRD and JVC D-ILA but are the same kind of technology - Liquid Crystal on Silicon. You can probably pick up a lower end JVC like the RS400/550 for 2k these days that, from a picture quality standpoint, will beat anything even close to it in price.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I will praise JVC for their deep rear end blacks on their chips. They make an awesome unit.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I will praise JVC for their deep rear end blacks on their chips. They make an awesome unit.

Industry leading black levels/contrast. Native, not trickiery with a dynamic iris.

Excellent, quality lenses that provide a sharp picture.

Best in class e-shift that offers "faux-4k" that is nearly as good as actual 4k panels.

Overall solid build quality and warranty.

Quiet.

On the downside, JVCs are notorious for long HDMI sync times - 10-15 seconds on average, and considering that also applies when, for example, your source refresh rate changes in addition to when you turn it on and off is quite annoying.

Models before the mid-year refresh (in January) were terrible for gaming because of extremely high input lag (120ms+). That at least they improved with the latest gen, there's a game mode finally that brings it down to 32ms. You can also use e-shift/4k in game mode something other e-shift PJs can't.

If you can find a used one or closeout from the last gen and don't care about gaming they are worth it in the end.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

quote:

extremely high input lag (120ms+).

Well there goes picking up a nice used unit.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Yes, the prior years were not good for gaming at all, though some people didn't mind it. Single player and the like, it hardly matters but online games forget about it.

The new ones are much better, and as far as "4k" gaming goes with a PJ are still your best option....but the lowest model still retails for around 3.5k USD. There's a new "faux-4k" DLP PJ out that is a lot cheaper and has good input lag, I think BenQ makes it, but as far as PQ goes it's not getting high marks from what I have read.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I picked up an Epson 5040 when they dropped the price by $500. Finishing up our basement then it goes up. I'm excited to see it in action.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Krime posted:

I picked up an Epson 5040 when they dropped the price by $500. Finishing up our basement then it goes up. I'm excited to see it in action.

The 5040 is a good PJ. I had one for a few bulb hours before I exchanged it for an RS400. Not because I thought the 5040 was poo poo, I just ended up liking the JVC more overall for movie watching. I have a dedicated light controlled theater where the extra contrast of the JVC works best.

For general use, mixed movies and gaming, etc. the 5040 is a really nice PJ and you can get it at a great price these days. It's also a little easier to live with as far as HDMI sync times, etc. go. Only thing I think it is missing for games is 4k e-shift - I don't believe the low-lag gaming mode works with it.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Looking for some recommendations or general suggestions here.

I have a large outdoor screened in porch and I want to set up a screen and projector for summer movie watching. I think I am good on screen and sound, but I am not sure about the projector. The location is completely protected from rain. The area is roofed and only open on 2 sides, and the place where it would be mounted it is very protected.

So, on the one hand, I could just get a smallish projector and then take it inside when I am not using it. But that's kinda pain in the rear end to have to reset it and zoom the screen etc every time. So, are there any outdoor rated projectors that are built to withstand moisture? Any suggestions are fine. The actual quality of the projector isn't a huge deal, its for screwing around outside, I have a light controlled theater inside. Happy to take any suggestions or experience from people having done something similar.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Just throwing out a recommendation for a cheap gaming projector here:

I bought the Acer H6510BD about a year ago, new on eBay when it was the deal of the day, cost $440 shipped.

Been super happy with it, the picture is bright and clear, even at full zoom (about 120") on my wall.

I also found out it's the lowest known latency 1080p projector out there at about 13ms, so totally suitable for even twitchy gaming like Overwatch.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

emocrat posted:

Looking for some recommendations or general suggestions here.

I have a large outdoor screened in porch and I want to set up a screen and projector for summer movie watching. I think I am good on screen and sound, but I am not sure about the projector. The location is completely protected from rain. The area is roofed and only open on 2 sides, and the place where it would be mounted it is very protected.

So, on the one hand, I could just get a smallish projector and then take it inside when I am not using it. But that's kinda pain in the rear end to have to reset it and zoom the screen etc every time. So, are there any outdoor rated projectors that are built to withstand moisture? Any suggestions are fine. The actual quality of the projector isn't a huge deal, its for screwing around outside, I have a light controlled theater inside. Happy to take any suggestions or experience from people having done something similar.

There are some PJs meant more for outside use but I don't think any of them are rated to be kept outside all the time. You'd probably need to build a box or something if you wanted to go that route, similar to what folks to for DYI outdoor TVs (you can find a ton of info online on that topic).

However don't overestimate how complicated it will be to move the PJ in and out and dial it in each time. In those cases manual focus/zoom may actually be easier to deal with. BenQ and Acer make good models that also have easy connections for outdoor speakers, etc.

Are you using a blow up outdoor screen with this?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Ixian posted:

There are some PJs meant more for outside use but I don't think any of them are rated to be kept outside all the time. You'd probably need to build a box or something if you wanted to go that route, similar to what folks to for DYI outdoor TVs (you can find a ton of info online on that topic).

Cool, Ill look into that.

Ixian posted:

However don't overestimate how complicated it will be to move the PJ in and out and dial it in each time. In those cases manual focus/zoom may actually be easier to deal with. BenQ and Acer make good models that also have easy connections for outdoor speakers, etc.

Are you using a blow up outdoor screen with this?

Hmm, got any particular recommendations for easy to dial in projectors? I don't specifically need speaker support, I think I will be setting up some low cost but permanently wired gear for a simple surround sound and source control. As long as it can put out a decent 1080p picture I am fine, don't need anything too special for it.

I will be using some fairly cheap pull down projector. Luckily the space is set up in a manor that makes permanent installation pretty easy. I want outdoor speakers for music anyway, so why not include this stuff? Should be fun.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

emocrat posted:

Cool, Ill look into that.

Hmm, got any particular recommendations for easy to dial in projectors? I don't specifically need speaker support, I think I will be setting up some low cost but permanently wired gear for a simple surround sound and source control. As long as it can put out a decent 1080p picture I am fine, don't need anything too special for it.

I will be using some fairly cheap pull down projector. Luckily the space is set up in a manor that makes permanent installation pretty easy. I want outdoor speakers for music anyway, so why not include this stuff? Should be fun.

Check AVSForums sub-$3,000 PJ forum, they will be up to date on whatever the latest cheap but good PJs are.

Make sure that screen is rated for outdoors (if it is cheap it may not be). Otherwise you are going to end up with warping and other not-fun problems.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Hi, friends, I'm looking at getting a projector. My wife and I just moved into a tiny apartment where space is limited and ironically a projector seems like the most logical route. Some details are below:

• What's your budget?: I'd like to go cheap if possible, but if the quality:price ratio is worth it, happy to go up to a mid range. Well under $1500 if possible, under $100 is preferred and if I could hit $600 that would be amazing.
  • Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do?: Casual gaming, some light movie watching.
  • How big of a picture do you want?: 60" to 72" seems ideal in this set up.
  • Are you going to use a screen?: Probably not.

Regarding the placement, below is a photo of my living room.

Now, there's a couple of things to keep in mind here:
  • I originally thought it would be best to mount it on top of the cabinets, but that would place it right above the stove, which seems like a terrible idea. Throw distance would be 174", but if I move it out into the middle of the ceiling, this cuts that in half.
  • This living room is really bright. So bright that I may even get blackout blinds - the alleyway outside also has a decent amount of light even in the evening. Thanks, city life.
  • I will be routing the audio to the receiver near the window. The speakers are going to move to the sides of the bench for obvious reasons.

Now, is this a good idea or should I go the route of a wall-mounted TV? Given the restrictions, it seems that the TV is the better route but I wanted to go projector because we have such little space in here and a TV requires a ton more.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
A PJ over the cabinets will annoy the poo poo out of you due to the light path. I would do either a short throw in the middle of the ceiling, or nothing at all.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Buy a TV. That use case isn't going to be great going a PJ route, particularly if you aren't planning on using a screen. With your budget you won't be happy with what you end up with. A 55 inch decent LCD can be had for under 1k and would serve that environment a lot better.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I have a question. It might be dumb.

I'm moving into a new flat and badly want to have a projector again (looking at the BenQ HT2150ST, since it's mostly going to be used for gaming and I wouldn't be able to accomodate a standard throw distance). The only spot where I can fit a 100" screen is... tucked next to another wall, with a bunch of open space on the other side. Like so:

Could this cause an issue with light bouncing off the left wall and mucking up the picture in a weird way, e.g. nothing to bounce off on the right?

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 12, 2017

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Mango Polo posted:

I have a question. It might be dumb.

I'm moving into a new flat and badly want to have a projector again (looking at the BenQ HT2150ST, since it's mostly going to be used for gaming and I wouldn't be able to accomodate a standard throw distance). The only spot where I can fit a 100" screen is... tucked next to another wall, with a bunch of open space on the other side. Like so:

Could this cause an issue with light bouncing off the left wall and mucking up the picture in a weird way, e.g. nothing to bounce off on the right?

Doubt it but I'd definitely make sure to paint the walls a darker color. We did dark navy in our tv room and it works great.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Does anyone know if there is any appreciable difference between the Luxus and Cima screens from Stewart?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey, I help out an bar/event center that runs gaming tournaments every now and then, and I was hoping to grab a Projector to throw finals up onto a big stage.

Is there a projector at the ~$500 range that has a low enough latency for a game like Smash and can handle 1080p? I don't have a size in mind, but the stage is pretty big. Not movie-theatre big, but like, a little more than high-school big.

If not, what am I looking at for a price range?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I've had the Acer H6510BD for a few years and love it. Low latency, pretty decent brightness, and cheap!

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
Hey I'm looking for a portable projector to take camping.

Budget: sub £750
Usage: For watching movies in the late evening/night while camping, so 2.5hours+ battery life is preferable.
Input: Either cable from Android phone or SD card/in-built memory
Screen? Possibly, if I need one I don't mind getting one.

Could you suggest something please?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

We're looking into new projectors for a long training room at my work. Right now there's an ancient epson in there that looks fairly washed out. Are there any decent/reasonable projectors that come equipped with cameras for livestreaming/broadcasting built in?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Has anyone used a pixelshift 4k projector? I do not currently have a 4k setup, but I am curious to the results the faux-K.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

fastbilly1 posted:

Has anyone used a pixelshift 4k projector? I do not currently have a 4k setup, but I am curious to the results the faux-K.

I have a JVC RS400. I exchanged an Epson 6400UB for it during a 5 hour (bulb hour) trial period so I have some experience with that model, which also uses pixel-shift.

The JVC is the better of the two. Pixel-shifting is more or less the same but the JVC overall has better native contrast - by a lot, not some tiny sperg-y amount.

Pixel shifting results in a sharper picture, particularly with good 4k sources like UHD BD. It does a decent job upscaling regular BD too. It's not mind blowing but the bigger the screen you have the better you'll notice the extra sharpness. It's not true 4k but you are still looking at about $15k, new, to get a true 4k PJ that also holds up in other areas. Be a couple-three years before that changes I think.

Keep in mind no projector does a great job with HDR today, which is often (but not exclusively) paired with 4k content. You need a lot of lumens for that and current bulbs, with some exotic (and expensive) exceptions, aren't there.

If you are looking for one today and don't have the coin to drop on one of the JVC models I hear good things about the Optoma UD65, which is a DLP pixel-shift PJ that uses higher resolution panels (but not "true" 4k) and costs around 2k. The JVC still beats it overall - seriously, they have the best contrast in the business - but for everyday use, or if you don't have good light control (where the contrast benefits of the JVC wins out) the Optoma could be a good choice.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
I appreciate the info, I was already eyeballing the RS400.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

fastbilly1 posted:

I appreciate the info, I was already eyeballing the RS400.

It's a great projector. There is a slightly updated model now, the RS420. It is basically the same with a couple exceptions, probably the biggest being much improved gaming lag (new mode for it). Also has a better out of box HDR setting, though you can get the same on the RS400 with a few tweaks and neither one is top notch for HDR anyway (no consumer PJ is, really).

The RS400 has pretty bad lag for games, over 100ms. New one is closer to 30ms, which is pretty good. If you want to play a lot of games on the PJ and input lag bugs you (it doesn't everyone, and for single player games is mostly irrelevant) get that one.

However you can often find the RS400 on clearance now for prices going down to the low 2,000. That is a screaming deal for the quality you get. If movie/tv/streaming viewing is your thing you won't find anything close to it for the price in terms of image quality, features, or flexible placement options.

The 6040ub retails for cheaper and can be found on sale these days for even less - good PJ, no question, but having owned both side by side it is no JVC.

The Optoma UD65 goes for $2500 retail and is one of the sharpest faux-k PJ's on the market at any price but it too doesn't match JVCs overall image quality. I haven't seen that one though so I'm just going off reviews/AVSForum feedback.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Good to know about the input lag. I can live with 30ms of lag, Ive gamed on 100ms but, like you said, it is annoying.

I sadly had to get rid of my Sony G90 a few years ago and sidegraded a couple times to end up with a EIKI LC-WGC500, but lost both the boards and the bulb in it recently. So I have my Benq GP1 running for the times we want to watch something on a projector. But obviously a low lumen led projector is not ideal (out of focus corners), it is just a hold over until I can get another big projector. RS420 is a bit out of the price range currently, but in a few paychecks that should change.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I have a 2014 JVC x700r and I have been squeezing everything I can out of it. It is E-shift and yeah, it isn't true 4k but my setup is dialed in better than most movie theaters that I go to. It isnt UHD hdcp 2.2 compliant but I have gotten around the hdcp 2.2 problem as well as extracting the BT2020 wide color gamut off of the discs. This is done with an HDFury Integral in the chain. I also uploaded 2015 color profiles into the projector for properly displaying the color gamut. Then my Panasonic player converts High Dynamic Range to Standard Dynamic Range and has an adjustment slider for it since each disc seems to have a different nits level. And then there is the contrast level, it is amazing. Watching Ell stand in a pool of inky black in Stranger Things is quite amazing. JVC has me for a long while.

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002

Mango Polo posted:

Unlikely. My living room is a very similar setup, slightly longer throw distance. Walls are satin enamel white and I've never noticed anything. And my projector sucks.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Hi projector thread!

I am looking for a projector for my basement, where I have blackout curtains.

What's your budget?
$2k? For the projector and screen? Seems like it should be reasonable.

Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do?
Ideally, running through a receiver; TV and movies mostly. Maybe the ps3 if it makes sense?

How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer
Big? I guess 100-120? That's not really big for a projector.

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?)
Yes

What are the restrictions, if any, on placement?
This is a kind of hard restriction -- it's placed about 16 feet from the wall/screen it will be shining on; that plus surround sound and wiring to the media closet was done during construction.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

FreelanceSocialist posted:

Unlikely. My living room is a very similar setup, slightly longer throw distance. Walls are satin enamel white and I've never noticed anything. And my projector sucks.

Light pollution reflecting off of walls is a very noticible and real problem. I painted my walls a wife approved brown and I painted 4 feet of my ceiling black from the screen wall. It made a huge difference and I would like to paint more of the ceiling black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://primenow.amazon.com/dp/B00A2T6X0K?m=A36W57H0025VJU&psc=1

BenQ W1070 - $350 from Prime Now.

I bought a projector, a case of beer, and had it at my door in 2 hours. :911: