Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Shoehead posted:

I was ok with the dodgy shots during the weirder parts, but I thought when the ghost was weedwhacking the Nanny kid and yer man it looked AWFUL. Plus later (Ep 3 or 4?) when they show a photo of their bodies it's some crappy photoshop job, which compared to the prop head and body in the bed really really stood out to me.

I mean this is a show that used to play super loud, inappropriate music during every second scene so I dunno if I should be bothered by it or not.
Whahhh? I loved the ghost slice-face death scene and the (ep 4)photo was totally messed up because it made their necks look like bloody pink stumps, like they weren't even human bodies anymore. It was hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

When Lynch first quit the project weren't they going to keep using his scripts but hire others to direct? I can't imagine what that would have been like, it seems impossible.

Remember Season 2 after Lynch left and they were scrambling to recreate his tone and loving it all up? Imagine that Diane Keaton episode, only eighteen hours long

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

1000 umbrellas posted:

Not hearing/reading anyone react to the deplorable CG and green screening except for some "that's so Lynch!" here and there. I disagree. Lynch's capacity for the surreal and even the exaggerated has always been upheld by strong, believable special effects, starting with the baby in Eraserhead and extending through some of the most violent scenes in his oeuvre. When Cooper is climbing the ladder to stand on that gray box, I couldn't not turn to my partner and ask "what are we watching?" Some of the visuals are like senior film school project level of bad, and I have a hard time believing between Showtime and Lynch that every green screened scene couldn't have been done better with more traditional effects.

And if it really is "so Lynch," I guess I don't like Lynch anymore?

I guess you don't? I can't understand people complaining about the effects, they look weird but mostly excellent.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Arturo Ui posted:

I'll point you to the Josie doorknob scene for lovely effects in the original series.

I wonder if they will show her soul is still in the wood of the hotel.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Whahhh? I loved the ghost slice-face death scene and the (ep 4)photo was totally messed up because it made their necks look like bloody pink stumps, like they weren't even human bodies anymore. It was hosed up.
I don't scare easily but I watched this blazing weed in the dark and I was scared shitless by this scene.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Speaking of weird photoshop work, the photo of Andy and Lucy in the reception booth looked really fake, which brought an unnerving touch to a very goofy scene.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

FauxLeather posted:

I was worried about a slew of newcomer actors trying to ham up the quirkiness of their acting because they're on Twin Peaks, but all the performances are perfectly fine and natural so far.

Well, there is Wally Brando.
No you don't get it. The characters name is wally brando, the character himself is doing a bad brando impersonation. Cera being the all-star actor he is knocked it out of the park. Anyone can do a good Brando, but it takes real acting to play someone else doing a bad brando.

Origami Dali posted:

I'm missing Badalamenti and bored, so for fun I wanted to see if a scene without music would work with music, and I think it does. Maybe the music will return when Coop does.
This is gold.

FauxLeather posted:

Noticed a book titled "Indian Heritage" on the bookcase in the South Dakota hotel crimescene from Episode 1.

Tell Deputy Hawk he come come back home, now. I've found what he's looking for.
:monocle:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I didn't find the Lucy and Andy scenes that funny because they seem way too slow. If the Tibetan rock throwing scene had been paced like the bunnies I don't think it would have worked at all. Did they change a lot in Season 2 or something? (I only saw the beginning of it)

On a positive note, I really like Robert Forster New Truman. His reactions to the weirdness around him have felt dead on so far.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Origami Dali posted:

I'm missing Badalamenti and bored, so for fun I wanted to see if a scene without music would work with music, and I think it does. Maybe the music will return when Coop does.

The music link says it's not available. What musical track is it?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The worst effect shot was the murder victim in the apartment. The side shot looked like poo poo, and I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tirranek posted:

On a positive note, I really like Robert Forster New Truman. His reactions to the weirdness around him have felt dead on so far.

Yea I think he's perfect so far. He's doing a great job of recreating Truman's everyman way of talking about these bizarre situations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

The worst effect shot was the murder victim in the apartment. The side shot looked like poo poo, and I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

Really? It looked straight out of a David Lynch paintings to me. Like, it didn't look like a real corpse, it looks like a corpse distorted by unseen nightmares. I saw it and said "That doesn't look human", which I thought was the point and felt completely appropriate.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Tirranek posted:

I didn't find the Lucy and Andy scenes that funny because they seem way too slow. If the Tibetan rock throwing scene had been paced like the bunnies I don't think it would have worked at all. Did they change a lot in Season 2 or something? (I only saw the beginning of it)

I'm 99% on Lynch's wavelength with the horror/fantasy stuff, but not so much with his sense of humour (like, I don't find Scandinavians automatically funny). I love the deadpan stuff (eg looking for the apartment key in episode 1) but the deliberate wackiness can get grating, and the Andy and Lucy bits so far have been edging into that territory.

(So when Cera showed up I was like "uh oh" but by the end of his monologue he'd completely won me over, that was great.)

wa27 posted:

The shots of bodies have had a weird plasticky look that I've found more unsettling than anything else. Again though, CraveTV streaming is a bit iffy so it probably looks different in proper HD.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Lynch's weird effects are my favorite aspect of his work because they always provoke this really satisfying, uncanny feeling. It'd be way less satisfying if they were "realistic" or big-budget glossy CGI, especially because it brings out his painter side.

Tirranek posted:

The Lucy and Andy scenes are really melancholy now, which I love.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Lynch's weird effects are my favorite aspect of his work because they always provoke this really satisfying, uncanny feeling. It'd be way less satisfying if they were "realistic" or big-budget glossy CGI, especially because it brings out his painter side.

Yeah. Like the Dumpster Man in Mulholland Drive is really silly looking in any GIF I've seen, but when it's within the context of the movie, it's scary as gently caress.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah. Like the Dumpster Man in Mulholland Drive is really silly looking in any GIF I've seen, but when it's within the context of the movie, it's scary as gently caress.

aaaaargh i hate gifs of jump scares, stop ruining movies for me assholes

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The implications of that dumpster behind the diner scene are pretty disturbing, but even within the full context of the film I had to go read an article about it to understand what was going on. So its not like it becomes super obvious when you watch it in context, its still completely bizarre and appears to be disconnected from the overall narrative.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The implications of that dumpster behind the diner scene are pretty disturbing, but even within the full context of the film I had to go read an article about it to understand what was going on. So its not like it becomes super obvious when you watch it in context, its still completely bizarre and appears to be disconnected from the overall narrative.

What else have you read into it?

I always figured it's one of the strongest clues to "It's all a dream, and there are dreams within dreams", while also displaying how these dreams can still be dangerous to us spiritually/mentally/physically in the "real world".

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Nthing the opinion that Lynch's use of FX is just brilliant. They add to the dream-like atmosphere.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Having seen episode 4 I will say that so far out of all these episodes I reckon you could edit down about 20-30 minutes. I'm still really enjoying it and I love that we get 18 hours of Lynch, but it doesn't automatically make those 18 hours amazing either.

I'm hoping the rest get a bit tighter, but now things seem to be moving in a bit of a direction I'm sure that'll be the case.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Franchescanado posted:

Thank you. I wish we could put this in the OP so it doesn't get lost. Seems like a good key.
Consider it done :)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I always figured it's one of the strongest clues to "It's all a dream, and there are dreams within dreams", while also displaying how these dreams can still be dangerous to us spiritually/mentally/physically in the "real world".

I've read some pretty convincing stuff that argues that the dumpster scene is a dream of Diane's, and the man who describes his own dream is basically being confronted with the fact that he himself doesn't actually exist. The monster behind the dumpster represents all of the bad things Diane has done that she's hiding from, so this guy is basically being shown that the world he has always thought of as real isn't real at all. The dream that he had was just a dream within a dream, and there is no "real world", at least for this guy.

I have some similar opinions about Baskin, which I know you've at least heard of from the horror thread. You could argue that the majority of that film takes place inside of one guy's head, and that one of the other characters somehow realizes this and has a major freakout because of it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I've read some pretty convincing stuff that argues that the dumpster scene is a dream of Diane's, and the man who describes his own dream is basically being confronted with the fact that he himself doesn't actually exist. The monster behind the dumpster represents all of the bad things Diane has done that she's hiding from, so this guy is basically being shown that the world he has always thought of as real isn't real at all. The dream that he had was just a dream within a dream, and there is no "real world", at least for this guy.

Yeah, that seems to go along with how I've read it, though I didn't really explore the existential horror of him realizing he himself is a dream.

I mean, we all are, really. None of us exist. AmIright, guys?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, that seems to go along with how I've read it, though I didn't really explore the existential horror of him realizing he himself is a dream.

I mean, we all are, really. None of us exist. AmIright, guys?

Unfortunately I can't remember the argument point by point to explain what exactly suggests that the guy is having that realization. I'd need to see the scene again and especially listen to his dialogue.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
MH hobo chat:

That scene and character always reminded me of a story my parents told me about their honeymoon. They came from Canada to visit Los Angeles and Los Vegas, but always told me it was pretty disappointing to see that between the few landmarks you always see on TV etc. both cities, and especially the Hollywood area, were mostly depressingly empty and poverty stricken. Behind the glitz and glamour of Hollywood is the filthy hobo, which defines the area just as much. And this resonates especially with Diane's story, since she moves to Hollywood from Canada expecting to become a star and instead ends up a waitress at that same diner.

If I remember correctly the original TV pilot cut of the movie ended on a close-up of that character.

Basebf555 posted:

Unfortunately I can't remember the argument point by point to explain what exactly suggests that the guy is having that realization.

Well he is describing the dream to his friend (therapist?) as it happens.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

I have seen the first episode of the original series,, and I just watched episode 1 of the new series.
I am going to take a guess here and say aliens are behind everything which was slowly revealed over the original two seasons? My question is have I ruined the first two seasons now I have watched this?

I am also not sure if I have the time to commit to the first two seasons is there a good analysis video I can watch if this is the case?

Thanks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vier posted:

I have seen the first episode of the original series,, and I just watched episode 1 of the new series.
I am going to take a guess here and say aliens are behind everything which was slowly revealed over the original two seasons? My question is have I ruined the first two seasons now I have watched this?

I am also not sure if I have the time to commit to the first two seasons is there a good analysis video I can watch if this is the case?

Thanks.

Haha, its funny that you think that what's "behind everything" could be boiled down to one word. You're probably not completely wrong but its waaaaaaaay more complicated than that.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Aliens, really? That's the impression you got?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Franchescanado posted:

I've always read it as a broader concept about the way we lie to ourselves about our real lives. You can say, well, I have [x] anxiety about my life, and then you distance yourself from it, ignore it, and perhaps engage in destructive behavior as a result. But it's still there, whether you like it or not, and eventually it'll get you because your life is more real than your perception of your life.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Vier posted:

Thanks.

Here's a very succinct summary of the first season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmIa7B3SXjI

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Aliens, really? That's the impression you got?

It's not entirely off-base, there was all the Project Blue Book stuff from the original series and Mark Frost's "Secret History" book is like 60% about UFOs. I get the impression that Frost is more about jet-powered X-files government-conspiracy stuff, and Lynch is more interested in personal horror and weird dreamworlds.

The final part of "Secret History" (a summary by Garland Briggs of what he thinks is behind everything) did a very good job of splitting the difference between the two, I thought.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yea, its definitely not completely out of left field to suggest aliens, Briggs worked for the government on Project Blue Book and its implied that's where he gets his info about the White Lodge.

It's not going end up just being standard grey big-headed aliens though, its more of a walk-in spirits from another dimension beyond space and time kinda thing.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea, its definitely not completely out of left field to suggest aliens, Briggs worked for the government on Project Blue Book and its implied that's where he gets his info about the White Lodge.

It's not going end up just being standard grey big-headed aliens though, its more of a walk-in spirits from another dimension beyond space and time kinda thing.

It barely even matters for the plot. They could be dimension-hopping dragons, and it wouldn't make a difference.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

And More posted:

It barely even matters for the plot. They could be dimension-hopping dragons, and it wouldn't make a difference.

True, the basic set-up has been established now for 25 years and it doesn't need to be elaborated on at all to tell the story. That's part of why the new series is completely impenetrable to new viewers.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
You're not going to get full answers on any of this poo poo. There will be enough clues to piece together good theories, and that's it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

You're not going to get full answers on any of this poo poo. There will be enough clues to piece together good theories, and that's it.

Depends on what you want answers to. If you want big picture answers, no that's not gonna happen. Specific answers though, sometimes we've had those, like when we were told that Gerard's missing arm is The Man From Another Place. So its always possible that we'll find out some interesting little facts but we'll never be able to put the whole puzzle together without some speculation.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vier posted:

Thanks.
Twin Peaks is absolutely not one of those shows where you can just jump into season 3 and hope to have any idea of what's going on. Hell, even people who have seen the entire original series, Fire Walk With Me and The Missing Pieces (basically everything you can see) have barely any idea what's going on.

I added a note to the OP saying as much. Don't watch this unless you're a big Twin Peaks fan who's already immersed in the mythology of the series. I get that that can be a big ask for some people, but if it's too much to ask of you then this series probably isn't for you anyway.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
drat Albert was looking sick in episode 4, I hope he's alright

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

drat Albert was looking sick in episode 4, I hope he's alright

He's unfortunately not doing very well at all, I hate to be the one to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Well at least he can eat more now that he doesn't have the show to get in the way, he was looking gaunt as hell