Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

its a side scrolling platformer

they cant reveal that much or otherwise theres no point in playing it

This is what it is. Seven minutes of gameplay shows off a not-insignificant amount of content from a 1-2 hour game. I'm hoping that when I play it I'll at least be surprised by one zone name, but I'm not holding my breath. For similar reasons I expect it to get released not more than a month after a date is fixed.

The Sonic 2 maps are wild. It's weird and incredible that there is still anything to unearth about the game's development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You could also cheese the hell out of Sonic Rush's special stages by pausing, then moving the Stylus.

Also I will forever hate the Sonic Heroes special stages because there's one emerald I never got, and the one time I got close shadow somehow dropped half a centimeter, got stuck inside of the tube, and then started running backwards at mach 5 as the collision detection tried to eject him.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I like the Sonic Heroes special stages for the fast paced action, rad throwback concept, collecting big strings of spheres links, and organic use of the character switching. Then your characters get stuck up on the wall somehow and you lose. It's totally unplayable and easily the best part of Heroes (PS2). The intersection of neat speedy ideas and hosed up execution is like Sonic games in a nutshell.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kurieg posted:

Also I will forever hate the Sonic Heroes special stages because there's one emerald I never got, and the one time I got close shadow somehow dropped half a centimeter, got stuck inside of the tube, and then started running backwards at mach 5 as the collision detection tried to eject him.

There's a lot of weirdness with the Sonic Heroes because (IIRC) certain teams were actually faster than others.

For example, Amy was actually slower than the fast character on the other three teams. So while her stages were shorter (which meant you could get to the special stages in less time) you were less likely to win with her because she had a higher chance of running the clock before getting enough balloons.

I think the fastest character was actually the chameleon, who stages were the longest. So if you spent the time to complete the longer version of a stage, you'd be rewarded with a better chance of winning the special stage.

None of that helped if you had a collision error in the perfectly smooth, featureless tunnel that'd then send you careening off in the opposite direction, of course.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
did people not cheese the heroes special stages by switching to power formation and boost jumping?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

All these great posts about Sonic Heroes' famous special stage just made me crack up at my desk thinking about a possible mod called Sonic Heroes Heroes where you play and cycle between all 4 teams and each of its 3 characters in real time and the special stages are an insane madhouse of all 12 characters talking over each other constantly creating a giant wall of sonic characters collecting every sphere, getting every emerald in 6 seconds and the victory animation being a horrifying orgy of characters clipping through everyone, there is NO end to the voice clips which persist between load screens and I want to play this now

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sonic 3D on the Saturn had the best half pipe for sure, but Rush takes a close second. I also quite liked the special stage in Sonic 4 Episode 1, as it was just fiddly enough to be a challenge but not so much that it took too many tries, assuming you remained calm. Nailing the final stage required nerves of steel.

Advance 2 was also great; it had a looser, more relaxed feel to it, like you weren't under any real pressure and could simply work out a bunch of lines across the arena to maximise your combo. And finally, an honourable mention to both Chaos and Triple Trouble, one of which threw a whole new concept at you with each special stage, and the other giving you some charming little mini-bosses with a criminally neglected side character.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DizzyBum posted:

"Hey guys, what if we made a Sonic game where Sonic was really slow???"

But older sonic fans keep telling me sonic isn't about speed!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

sonic 2's special stages are better when you can see what's coming, for example in sonic rush

Other games that have the half-pipe special stage design are usually pretty solid, so yeah this is probably the case. Sonic 2 imo has the best overall design of the genesis era special stages, but the game itself just executed it poorly so it's hard to see it clearly.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

The Sonic 2 special stages require both foreknowledge and near perfect execution. They're not impossible, but I knew that of the fifteen or so times I'd get to them over the course of the game, I'd never win enough to ever get the prize.

I had absolutely no idea S2's special stages could have caused so much grief to other Sonic players. I thought those were by far the easiest of the original trilogy. It's even difficult for me to process that. Guess I just memorized the gently caress out of them when I was a kid and thought they were easy.

Bit OT here but not much, there was another game for the Genesis back then called Shining in the Darkness, in which you pretty much had to memorize huge labyrinths in order to finish. I remember it was a painful experience, but I finished it as a kid. My cousin loved the game so much I gave it to him as a birthday present. He finished that game more than 10 times. I am not kidding. He had the entire game memorized and he enjoyed facing the final boss with his group completely naked and using no weapons. But here's something funny: each time he played it he'd find new items he had not seen before in previous playthroughs. New items in each single one of his 10+ playthroughs. Game designers back then were hardcore as gently caress.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Phantasy Star had really awesome mazes too. I keep meaning to play through PSIII (I did most of PS2 last year, but it does get a bit too grindy) but there's still no double xp/mst mod yet. I don't want easy mode, I just want a bit less grinding. Sega started talking about "their big franchises" and I got excited we might see a Phantasy Star Mania of sorts and then remembered where that game went.

And Sonic 2's special stages are all memorization. In a lot of spots you straight up can't react, you have to know them. I think I prefer Sonic 3's, but I remember having to do Sonic 2's with my little sister and that's a cool memory.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

beep by grandpa posted:

All these great posts about Sonic Heroes' famous special stage just made me crack up at my desk thinking about a possible mod called Sonic Heroes Heroes where you play and cycle between all 4 teams and each of its 3 characters in real time and the special stages are an insane madhouse of all 12 characters talking over each other constantly creating a giant wall of sonic characters collecting every sphere, getting every emerald in 6 seconds and the victory animation being a horrifying orgy of characters clipping through everyone, there is NO end to the voice clips which persist between load screens and I want to play this now

I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE
I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE
I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE
I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE
I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE
I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE
I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE
I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE
I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE

:shepicide:

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Sonic Heroes All The Bravest

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Never really got the whole rote memorization problem of Sonic 2's special stages, I always liked them :shrug: I mean, pretty much ALL of those stages in all of the games required memorization. And yeah, the later ones were hard but I always felt like the reward was worth it. Sonic 1's special stages were always way harder for me since movement always felt terribly imprecise and wibbly-wobbly. At least on S2's special stages I felt like I was going where I wanted when I wanted.

I mean hell, if we're talking difficulty being a problem, I still have problems with the final part of Labyrinth zone. I don't think anybody was able to consistently get through that from their first or even after their 10th attempt. Sonic games rewards skill mastery, and memorization is part of that.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 23, 2017

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Sonic 2's special stage is forever my favorite thanks to hours of multiplayer leapfrogging action

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Rorac posted:

Never really got the whole rote memorization problem of Sonic 2's special stages, I always liked them :shrug: I mean, pretty much ALL of those stages in all of the games required memorization.

Usually for most Sonic games, you can do all the special stages except for maybe the last 1 or 2 without memorization. The thing for Sonic 2 is that it gets pretty difficult pretty fast. You don't need to exactly memorize layouts, but starting at just the 2nd special stage is often where I've seen many a casual player get run over by the difficulty.

Not sure what point you're making with Labyrinth zone difficulty. Sonic 1 is pretty wonky as is with difficulty since Marble zone is probably the 2nd hardest zone yet it's Zone 2. As for that section you said, I never really felt I had to memorize Labyrinth zone myself so idk.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

El Mido posted:

Sonic Heroes All The Bravest

Yes!! The game would sound like the old school Diablo 2 "soundchaosdebug" cheat every voice clip trigger... and the VOICE sound slider is disabled in options :getin:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Ventana posted:

Not sure what point you're making with Labyrinth zone difficulty. Sonic 1 is pretty wonky as is with difficulty since Marble zone is probably the 2nd hardest zone yet it's Zone 2. As for that section you said, I never really felt I had to memorize Labyrinth zone myself so idk.

What

What Sonic 1 game did YOU play? Marble was easier than anything that came after it. The only thing that might've been different were the dropping spike ceiling/platforms and I don't know of any that didn't show you their location before dropping on you. Or is the lava? I never found any of that zone particularly difficult.

:shrug: I guess we find different things difficult? The idea that Marble zone is harder than Labyrinth or Scrap Brain is kind of mind blowing to me, but ok I guess?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

Bridge Zone from Sonic 1 in particular is one of those hidden gem tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VstP2jqJcQM&t=14s

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Yeah Scrap Brain is the hardest by far IMO. To this day I burn through lives like crazy there. I actually think it's the hardest zone of the Genesis era. (Honorable mention: the Death Egg boss of S3&K kills me a lot, too.)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

SONIC CONFESSIONS:

I have probably literally never killed the S3&K Death Egg Act 1 Zone boss as intended (as in, without Super Sonic stomping it) and I probably never will because it looks stupid insanely difficult to do.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

SONIC CONFESSIONS:

I have probably literally never killed the S3&K Death Egg Act 1 Zone boss as intended (as in, without Super Sonic stomping it) and I probably never will because it looks stupid insanely difficult to do.

That miniboss is so hard. If I ever mess up "lose and then immediately chase down your last ring" I die pretty much immediately.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

I'm not telling you what you find difficult. I can only speak for what me + my friends who I watched + whatever general LPs/streams I watch when people struggle with Sonic 1. And looking at the maps a little, but still.

Marble zone's jumps over lava and lower level ceiling spike traps generally hit a lot of people near the end of Act 1, and keeps adding more and more in the other acts. In comparison, Spring yard doesn't have many traps outside of the bottomless pit at the end of Act 3. Labyrinth zone is slow but usually fine; it does have spikes everywhere but in practice the intentionally slow pace makes most of it a non-issue. Star light zone doesn't have much teeth until Act 3 when there's a lot more orbinauts, and that's disregarding Star Light zone mostly being a fast and fun zone anyways.

If you have trouble dealing with the water physics, then I could see you having issue with Labyrinth over other zones. The hardest section imo is always gonna be Scrap brain Act 3 which gave me a lot of trouble when I was younger due to the long water section.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

SONIC CONFESSIONS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrqXpYwS9nI

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Glad someone else noticed that. I remember realizing how similar those melodies were when I was a little kid playing my Game Gear, since I was also an idiot that liked Full House at the time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

SONIC CONFESSIONS:

It isn't. Act 2's is arguably harder, definitely longer and more frustrating.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

well thats absolute bullshit

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The act 2 one like... Can't damage you if you stand still. It's brutal going against Sonic's nature like that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's just irritating to fight though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sonic 2's the perfect length, S3&K are too short as individual games and too long and weirdly paced when you combine them.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Dabir posted:

I dunno, I usually just beat Act 2's by repeatedly going back into the gravity changer tube things. You're invincible while you're in there, so just walk back in as soon as you get out, usually kills the boss pretty quickly unless you have really really bad luck.

And as for the Act 1 boss, you just gotta be patient for his 2nd form. For the first phase with all the balls that explode in spikes when you hit him: if you stand on one side of the screen you can actually take a couple steps, jump and insta-shield his eye which will bounce you right back to the corner you started in*, and you'll have plenty of time to dodge the spikes if any are heading for you, just jump when the spike balls are compacted all around the center, you'll have plenty of space.

Then for his 2nd phase stand on one of the platforms, hit him when you're just below the eye and then just wait while he freaks out and spins, tap left or right to try to recenter yourself on the platform, but you can also do this once he slows down. The laser he shoots out the bottom doesn't hurt you if you're standing on one of his platforms (actually it might not hurt you at all? I've never been hit by it iirc), and he can't really knock you off in any way unless he somehow shoves you off the platform by being too close to the side of the screen (which, to be fair, HAS happened to me before but it's extremely rare since he doesn't really move if you're standing on him).

*So obviously this strategy doesn't work as well for Tails, but you can try to fly up and hit him in the eye? Though this is kinda dangerous cause you'll get hit anyways when he brings the balls back up, and you don't move as fast in the air flying vs. jumping so you might get hit by a spike anyways, so probably just tank the damage and try to keep collecting rings on the rebound. As Knuckles, I mean...Knuckles doesn't do Death Egg unless you're cheating anyways sooo yeah same strategy as Tails? Maybe try to hit him with a glide, but I don't remember if Knuckles can even jump high enough to do that from one side of the screen.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You got the strategy right, but the laser definitely hurts you if you're not on a platform. Like you said, bumping into the side of the screen is the biggest danger at that point. It's a hard boss fight, but at that point you usually have like 20 lives so the stakes are low.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Xad posted:

The laser he shoots out the bottom doesn't hurt you if you're standing on one of his platforms

WHAT.

How did I not know this?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Imo the hardest boss in all the Sonic games is Tails triggering the boss's I-frames. CPZ2, I'm looking at you.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ColdPie posted:

Imo the hardest boss in all the Sonic games is Tails triggering the boss's I-frames. CPZ2, I'm looking at you.
Tails turns from villain to hero in that fight if you have a co-op partner - Sonic can't be hurt by the blue goo Robotnik drops if he's ducking, so the Sonic player can duck the whole fight and let the Tails player take care of it.

The second half of Chemical Plant Act 2 in general is certainly a nasty difficulty spike though. Especially since you're on cruise control for everything up to that point.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 24, 2017

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dabir posted:

I beat him & robotnik vanilla plenty of times as kid with no rings simply because I ran out as super sonic. The trick with the act 2 boss for me was to just spindash from the left teleport to the right teleport back and forth avoiding the projectile spikes. Not super easy but not particularly hard. Robotnik after that is actually fun to fight with no rings cause it's intense...until tails damages him as you jump to hit him and its invincibility frames make you fall through him and die

Edit: yea

ColdPie posted:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Sounds like sonic mania was at e3 judges event so there will be some hot reveals during e3.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Paul.Power posted:

The second half of Chemical Plant Act 2 in general is certainly a nasty difficulty spike though. Especially since you're on cruise control for everything up to that point.

I still get anxiety every time I approach that one part, you know the one. That loving section can kill you three different ways; falling, drowning or crushing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Always go for the shortcut, it's never not worth it.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Overbite posted:

Sounds like sonic mania was at e3 judges event so there will be some hot reveals during e3.

Wow, that's awesome, so 13-15 June, correct? So 3 weeks from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

King Vidiot posted:

I still get anxiety every time I approach that one part, you know the one. That loving section can kill you three different ways; falling, drowning or crushing.

I just skip it with the shortcut every time :v: