Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dongattack posted:

IIRC there is a story related place you need to go to which is so deep that the Seamoth can never withstand the pressure? I'm not 100% sure tho since it's been awhile and in any case i think you can get away with going there in the Cyclops and relying on lots of airtanks + Seaglide.

Prawn suit is also the best way to fight back in the game since it can just straight up tank and beat the gently caress out of anything that bothers you. Attach a grappling hook and grapple to the fuckers while smacking them in the face for that extra "gently caress you".

Hah, that's awesome. I've gotten all the arms, so I guess Drill and grapple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

twistedmentat posted:

I was inspired to play by the Neebs gaming series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMmiTTTUdQs

I got a lot of tips on avoiding early problems watching these, like reinforcing your base and such. Probably best to start with the first video to get the setup and injokes.

Anyways, I realized a scanner room will help me because I am having a bitch of a time finding the gel I need to make the Prawn Suit. Though do I really need one? Outside of the drill for the large nodes, I don't see a use for it yet. My Sea Moth now goes down to 900meters, and I admit, the Cyclops is pretty hard to control, not to mention every aggressive fish attacks it if I get close even with silent running on.

I'm a newish player, grabbed this a few weeks ago. Getting the Prawn suit felt like a real game changer to me. Its really tough so it doesn't feel like i'm at the mercy of every enemy now. The drill arm makes amassing resources really easy, I was super low on copper for ages but I found some large deposits and now i'm swimming in it. And it also feels like the game goes up a level once you get the suit because now you can go into the actual deep dark water. There is really cool poo poo in the depths and its very atmospheric.

One thing I would say is the grappling hook upgrade is kinda required if you want to really explore. The jumpjets aren't super strong by themselves but you can use grappling hook momentum to get up pretty high and also once you get good with it you can Bionic Commando yourself around pretty quickly.

Oh and I had some bugs with the prawn suit. I've had it sink into terrain after a load so I always try to dock it somewhere before I quit. And I got stuck in terrain exiting it and I was in a real tricky spot but console commands can help you out.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Robiben posted:

One thing I would say is the grappling hook upgrade is kinda required if you want to really explore. The jumpjets aren't super strong by themselves but you can use grappling hook momentum to get up pretty high and also once you get good with it you can Bionic Commando yourself around pretty quickly.

Haha, yeah. If you get the angle right, you can almost 'fly' along like if you were playing Just Cause 2, but underwater.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

I got a lot of tips on avoiding early problems watching these, like reinforcing your base and such. Probably best to start with the first video to get the setup and injokes.

Anyways, I realized a scanner room will help me because I am having a bitch of a time finding the gel I need to make the Prawn Suit. Though do I really need one? Outside of the drill for the large nodes, I don't see a use for it yet. My Sea Moth now goes down to 900meters, and I admit, the Cyclops is pretty hard to control, not to mention every aggressive fish attacks it if I get close even with silent running on.
You'll find some about halfway down the side of the aurora wreck. There's a deep crevice about the width of two seamoths and it's all along the sides in there.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ambaire posted:

Also I guess I'm the only person in the thread playing the experimental version. It does away with knife durability so I just use a heated knife for everything.

This is great news! Maybe my posting on their forums has made some differences a second time. Either way, that's one annoyance down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Space hicks trapped on water planet is a pretty fun series, cheers for linking it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Space hicks trapped on water planet is a pretty fun series, cheers for linking it.

Yeah, I had previously just clicked off it when it had come up before because most RP game videos tend to be cringey as heck. This one A. Tries to keep it pretty light and B. Actually has pretty good writing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

7c Nickel posted:

Yeah, I had previously just clicked off it when it had come up before because most RP game videos tend to be cringey as heck. This one A. Tries to keep it pretty light and B. Actually has pretty good writing.

Yea, the Neebs crew have all varying degrees of Southern accents, but they use it to full effect. They are also really good at sound editing to fit in the video; echo effects, radio static and so on.

Their Ark, GTA Online and Scrap Mechanic vids are great, and their Battlefield 1 vids are amazing. I love their Death Quiz episodes, becuase crazy poo poo happens in that game.

I spend 2 hours last night running around trying to find Gel Sacks, even ended up at the deep river, which seriously looks like something from Dark Souls, and came up with 1. I ended up just using the console to spawn one.

I need to make the arms for the Prawn Suit, but I'm interested in going back to the deep river or some of the other crazy deep biomes. Like that base with the coffee maker in it, those drat squid crabs are assholes and won't let you near it.

What upgrades are worth adding to the Seamoth or Prawn Suit? Can't have all of them, but some are probably more useful than others. And what food plants are worth it? Lantern Trees are the easiest but it seems the melons are better for hunger.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Protip, there are gel sacks right on the path to the Aurora from the escape pod. Look for a shallow chasm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gel sacks afaik only spawn in a tiny little trench on the nearside of the aurora. It's the weirdest thing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Gel sacks afaik only spawn in a tiny little trench on the nearside of the aurora. It's the weirdest thing.

Nah they're in a couple different places like the Mushroom Forest and most of the really deep areas.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

twistedmentat posted:

Haha, i love these! Binging them currently, i didn't know the Battlefield dudes did stuff that wasn't Battlefield and i had no idea the propulsion cannon did so much damage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

Nah they're in a couple different places like the Mushroom Forest and most of the really deep areas.

Guess that explains why I never find them as I never go to the forest because there's nowt there.

Also you'll probably need the aerogel to get really deep because pressure comps are expensive.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I think I'd like the Neebs LP more if it wern't for this Dr. Spaghetti.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's too bad I my scanner can't reach titanium, i could use the giant nodes over the scrap.

I want to know where these leaks i keep getting are coming from. I looked on the wiki and it only will happen when you're hull integraty is down to 0, but mine is currenly 120. Looking at the comments, it look like fish can either attack (if agressive) or just swim (if they're not) into the base can that can cause damage.

I'm not sure what to do right now. I have a drill arm and grappler for the Prawn, I modded all 3 to dive to minimum 900 meters. I guess I should upgrade the cyclops to max out its diving depth, but I have no idea where to get nickel from.

Oh wait, I haven't investigated the energy signal inside the mountain base, and I have a purple artifact now. Guess I'll do that next.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Unless it's changed recently your base starts having cracks if you don't give it enough foundation to boost its hull strength.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

It's too bad I my scanner can't reach titanium, i could use the giant nodes over the scrap.

I want to know where these leaks i keep getting are coming from. I looked on the wiki and it only will happen when you're hull integraty is down to 0, but mine is currenly 120. Looking at the comments, it look like fish can either attack (if agressive) or just swim (if they're not) into the base can that can cause damage.

I'm not sure what to do right now. I have a drill arm and grappler for the Prawn, I modded all 3 to dive to minimum 900 meters. I guess I should upgrade the cyclops to max out its diving depth, but I have no idea where to get nickel from.

Oh wait, I haven't investigated the energy signal inside the mountain base, and I have a purple artifact now. Guess I'll do that next.

Are there any Tiger plants nearby? Stray shots as you pass by can go a surprising distance and punch holes in your base.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Bumping into your base will cause damage too. I am not sure about the seamoth, but I know nudging it with the cyclops will set it to flooding real quick.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Invalid Validation posted:

Unless it's changed recently your base starts having cracks if you don't give it enough foundation to boost its hull strength.

On experimental, I built a pretty large base just using multipurpose rooms with hull reinforcements, zero foundations. Didn't have any problems with flooding. It was only about 20m down, though. I like the look of a base without foundations a lot better...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Reinforcements have been in the game a while and work just fine instead of foundations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The only annoyance I have with reinforcements is that they take up window slots. And I do like my view.

I'd really appreciate a square multi purpose room. It doesn't even have to be able to machines. I just want more options for base building.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm trying to get back into subnautica, is it possible to create more schools of fish near your base (specifically the water-filled ones) by catching them elsewhere and releasing them? Or should i stick to aquariums inside my base for endless supplies of water? In a similar vein, what are the plants to plant inside a base?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

double nine posted:

I'm trying to get back into subnautica, is it possible to create more schools of fish near your base (specifically the water-filled ones) by catching them elsewhere and releasing them? Or should i stick to aquariums inside my base for endless supplies of water? In a similar vein, what are the plants to plant inside a base?

Fish you release outside your base don't breed or respawn after you catch them. You're better off breeding them in the large aquarium and releasing as many outside as you find aesthetically pleasing. The best farm is a plant pot with four marblemelons. Eat three, cut the fourth for seeds and replant.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
my base as it appears currently

I have foundations everywhere and I have reinforced a lot of the parts I could but I still get leaks here and there.

And I've investigated all the signals I have, I have no idea what to do. I am trying to find my way back to the deep river where the giant skull is, to market it for when I get another artifact, but other than that, I have zero clue where to go.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's the deepest thing you've found? Giant skull?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The visibility in the lost river can make it hard to find the way down from there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zesty posted:

What's the deepest thing you've found? Giant skull?

Yep, and the force field door near it. I scanned it, and now I cannot remember how I got there. I know it was near the Crabsquid cave with the base with the coffee maker, but I search all over there and only found nothingness and a Reaper.

BTW is there any way to get out of their clutches when they lock onto the seamoth?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Yep, and the force field door near it. I scanned it, and now I cannot remember how I got there. I know it was near the Crabsquid cave with the base with the coffee maker, but I search all over there and only found nothingness and a Reaper.

BTW is there any way to get out of their clutches when they lock onto the seamoth?

One of the seamoth modifications is the "Perimeter defense system". An electro shock field. There are also torpedo types, but they are fairly lackluster even without considering the need to fabricate ammo for them.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 24, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

twistedmentat posted:

Force field door? I don't know what they've added lately, but there is certainly stuff deeper than that skull. Plenty more for you to find.

Bring some beacons. They'll help you find your way around there.

Spoiler Image 1

Spoiler Image 2

And there's even some stuff deeper than that.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 24, 2017

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
While people are discussing this subject can someone spoil if I have more content to dig into?

I went into the low lava zone and found a huge facility with a blocked off door. Couldn't figure out how to open it. I assumed the blue tablet would open it but couldn't seem to find a way to use it. I assume its not finished. Is that the last thing to find?

I did come across a cave near the aurora that the walls seem to be made of melted lava and there are strange noises but it seems to be entirely empty. Did i miss anything in there? I was sure something was gonna lash out of the darkness and eat me.

Edit: To clarify this facility was further down than the signal pointing to the Thermal Plant

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

twistedmentat posted:

As mentioned the Perimeter Defense System will make them let go, even with a low level pulse. They also naturally let go after munching on it after a while. (I think they do about 75% damage? so try not to get grabbed with less health than that)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Robiben posted:

While people are discussing this subject can someone spoil if I have more content to dig into?

I went into the low lava zone and found a huge facility with a blocked off door. Couldn't figure out how to open it. I assumed the blue tablet would open it but couldn't seem to find a way to use it. I assume its not finished. Is that the last thing to find?

I did come across a cave near the aurora that the walls seem to be made of melted lava and there are strange noises but it seems to be entirely empty. Did i miss anything in there? I was sure something was gonna lash out of the darkness and eat me.

Edit: To clarify this facility was further down than the signal pointing to the Thermal Plant

Yep last area. That other thing you found was probably an in development Alien Cache. There will be at least one in each biome that has a phasegate that connects to the facility you just found so you can do the run around the world final quest.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

7c Nickel posted:

Yep last area. That other thing you found was probably an in development Alien Cache. There will be at least one in each biome that has a phasegate that connects to the facility you just found so you can do the run around the world final quest.

Thanks!

I didn't even know Alien Caches were a thing? I'd found a slipgate that connects to gun and floating island and found the gate in the thermal facility. There is more alien stuff to find? I must have missed it like an idiot

I might keep puttering around then.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ok why can't you make multipurpose rooms at the start anymore, I haven't found plans for them anywhere and having to just use a locker hallway for a base is adding nothing to the game

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Digirat posted:

ok why can't you make multipurpose rooms at the start anymore, I haven't found plans for them anywhere and having to just use a locker hallway for a base is adding nothing to the game

Yeah its gated behind finding abandoned bases. The best place to look is the Island. You can also find it in the mushroom cave but you'll have to look around a bit and have the first depth upgrade for the seamoth

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

For what it's worth, when they made MP rooms an unlock was also when they gave us solar panels by default. So as silly as leaving you with hamster tubes only by default is, it was even sillier to not have any way to provide air to your undersea survival bases by default (Even with the fragments in the safe shallows).

But yes it is incredibly silly that they gated the literal only generic room in the game. For lack of anything else to gate. Like has been said, if you've played the game before you'll know most of the places with ruined base structures to scan anyways.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They should really just add more room types in general of various sizes. A square room would be nice and also the ability to integrate a large locker into a wall side would be amazing. I love windows in general but they really sap the strength out of your base in the deeps so a reinforced window type would be just stellar.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just hate that if I pick up this game I will be tempted to make the entire SeaLab. Not sure how to make Pod 6 fill up with jerks, but that would simply be something for me to brainstorm.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

For what it's worth, when they made MP rooms an unlock was also when they gave us solar panels by default. So as silly as leaving you with hamster tubes only by default is, it was even sillier to not have any way to provide air to your undersea survival bases by default (Even with the fragments in the safe shallows).

But yes it is incredibly silly that they gated the literal only generic room in the game. For lack of anything else to gate. Like has been said, if you've played the game before you'll know most of the places with ruined base structures to scan anyways.

Well it looks like there's an air pipe option now which I assume lets you breathe in your base even without power, so I would trade starting with the room in exchange for having to scan the solar panel, since you could at least make the foundations for a base even if you couldn't get your battery charger going or whatever. When I first played, I think I already had the panel by the time I made my base since it was easy to find, so it was better before.

thanks for the tip on where to get the room, I have no idea where the island is but I think I found the purple glowing mushroom cave. I did not find it when I last played the game. it looks really cool, but I didn't do anything there because it was full of scary giant worms and little bitey shits, and I had no submarine for air to spend longer than a minute in there. Would making a base there just be hubris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can make a base anywhere really though I would suggest not putting one next to reaper territory. That cave has thermal vents in it so it would actually be one of the better places if you don't mind the slight risk of being eaten. Though you would struggle to get the cyclops in and out of it.