Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i hope that mighty mouse is just negotiating for more cash because that fight would be so tight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Chrom1um posted:

She's just doing what we're all thinking.

Also, holy poo poo DJ vs. TJ is an actually great Flyweight Title fight (on paper), good on the UFC for that.

Cat's going to make a man out of our pretty boy. :3:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skip My Posts posted:

i hope that mighty mouse is just negotiating for more cash because that fight would be so tight

On one of his twitch streams (yes, I watch him on twitch, he is a legit good engaging streamer), he pretty much said that he'll do anything if the UFC actually pays him what a champion should get.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Lol, at the Fighter Retreat Reebok gave out 50% off coupons to the fighters. They're just loving with them at this point right?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Trast posted:

Cat's going to make a man out of our pretty boy. :3:

She's got her own tiny son to take care of

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

LobsterMobster posted:

She's got her own tiny son to take care of

Sage would not judge a single mother. She is worldly and can teach him. He is her Egg.

Him?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

Lol, at the Fighter Retreat Reebok gave out 50% off coupons to the fighters. They're just loving with them at this point right?

Hahaha holy poo poo that is so loving tone deaf.

Rory made 400k in Bellator this weekend.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Good, Rory owns and I look forward to him smashing everyone in the 170 division in Bellator.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
"Sure, Cyborg isn't going to win Ms. World anytime soon, but she still has feelings."

- Michael 'The Count' Bisping.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dan Didio posted:

"Sure, Cyborg isn't going to win Ms. World anytime soon, but she still has feelings."

- Michael 'The Count' Bisping.

Bisping owns.

All the UFC would have to do is guarantee MM's purse if tj fails the cut and his leverage is gone but I hope they pay him a shitload anyway because I want to see that fight a lot.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
kinda wish Mighty Mouse wasn't ducking. Hurts his legacy.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Bubba Smith posted:

The only reason we're having this conversation to begin with is because he's cleaned out his division so hard that there's not a single credible challenger in it or even on the horizon. I don't think he has poo poo to worry about in terms of legacy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think he'll fight Dillashaw at any time of the week but only once he has that record. Beating the record by beating Dillashaw would cement him even further, but that's a really really hard fight for him.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

BlindSite posted:

lol fighters in the UFC are getting screwed so bad. Something has to give sooner or later

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think he'll fight Dillashaw at any time of the week but only once he has that record. Beating the record by beating Dillashaw would cement him even further, but that's a really really hard fight for him.

i don't know. mighty mouse makes actual 125lb fighters seem slow, and dom, who beat tj after an enormous layoff, was only able to win due to a wrestling deficit that almost certainly does not exist now.

my bold claim is that if the fight goes ahead, mm will make tj look as immobile as tj made barao look

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Queering Wheel posted:

lol fighters in the UFC are getting screwed so bad. Something has to give sooner or later

please keep in mind that rory is like the conor mcgregor of bellator

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

i don't know. mighty mouse makes actual 125lb fighters seem slow, and dom, who beat tj after an enormous layoff, was only able to win due to a wrestling deficit that almost certainly does not exist now.

my bold claim is that if the fight goes ahead, mm will make tj look as immobile as tj made barao look

He definitely could.
TJ's better than anyone he's fought though (Besides Cruz years and years ago) and he can crack, where DJ's been prone to getting clipped in the past.

The fight would own and it needs to happen

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Cody drops out and somehow mm is ducking his opponent?

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He definitely could.
TJ's better than anyone he's fought though (Besides Cruz years and years ago) and he can crack, where DJ's been prone to getting clipped in the past.

The fight would own and it needs to happen

Clipped sure but if he can handle Dodson's power (twice) he can handle TJ's.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

Maybe they should pay him what he deserves.

SquirrelGrip posted:

Cody drops out and somehow mm is ducking his opponent?

Also this

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao, i deserved both pages of that

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Caught up on TUF before this week's episode.

I really hope Garbrandt loses all the preliminary rounds. It's hilarious he's lost this many so far.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Unfunny Poster posted:

Caught up on TUF before this week's episode.

I really hope Garbrandt loses all the preliminary rounds. It's hilarious he's lost this many so far.

if only he picked his team based on good fighters instead of "uhh, he's from Ohio, I'll take him"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
is the tuf season worth catching up on? they're all piled on my dvr but i just haven't given a gently caress to sit through them so far.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Maybe they should pay him what he deserves.

MM is literally the best, but how much exactly does he deserve? Salaries in MMA are and must be based on drawing power, and Demetrious isn't yet a draw. Since DJ isn't interested in becoming an interesting person and thus a draw, beating TJ for the new title defense record is probably the best thing he could do for his earning power.

Longwinded way to say he doesn't deserve McGregor, Diaz or even Anderson Silva money even if he is better at fighting than them.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

tesilential posted:

MM is literally the best, but how much exactly does he deserve? Salaries in MMA are and must be based on drawing power, and Demetrious isn't yet a draw. Since DJ isn't interested in becoming an interesting person and thus a draw, beating TJ for the new title defense record is probably the best thing he could do for his earning power.

Longwinded way to say he doesn't deserve McGregor, Diaz or even Anderson Silva money even if he is better at fighting than them.

In the current model you are right. I think a lot of us are hoping the fighters form an effective union, and the UFC shifts to more like a league than a fight promotion. Then salaries will be based more on merit and less on draw.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tesilential posted:

At least 500k per fight.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

At least 500k per fight.

Whoa whoa, the man could use a raise but James Toney CM Punk money?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Salaries don't have to be based on drawing power, particularly when drawing power can be directly influenced by the promoter to no small degree unless you're a mega-star like Conor who transcends logic in terms of popularity. If the UFC keep putting you on the undercard of foreign fight night cards, you're not going to get any drawing power.

It's something they can, and probably do, use against fighters in contract negotiations even though they're directly responsible for X or Y having no huge opportunity to make their name.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
demetrious johnson should get as much money as he can and if that's the holdup for not agreeing to fight Dillashaw yet then that's cool. But he's for sure ducking if he keeps persisting TJ needs to make weight first or can't skip to the front of the line or any other unimportant poo poo like that. jose aldo fought frankie edgar without needing him to make 145 the first time.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

demetrious johnson should get as much money as he can and if that's the holdup for not agreeing to fight Dillashaw yet then that's cool. But he's for sure ducking if he keeps persisting TJ needs to make weight first or can't skip to the front of the line or any other unimportant poo poo like that. jose aldo fought frankie edgar without needing him to make 145 the first time.

The issue for dj is that if he goes through camp and tj misses weight then he still needs to fight him if he wants to get paid. And if he loses to a much larger dude who doesn't make weight it will seriously hurt his already marginal drawing power. If he has proof he can make weight then the risk is mitigated somewhat. No one every wondered if frankie could make 145 because he's like 5'4

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Like when aldo fights Frankie he is quite obviously the bigger man

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

david carmichael posted:

The issue for dj is that if he goes through camp and tj misses weight then he still needs to fight him if he wants to get paid. And if he loses to a much larger dude who doesn't make weight it will seriously hurt his already marginal drawing power. If he has proof he can make weight then the risk is mitigated somewhat. No one every wondered if frankie could make 145 because he's like 5'4

Also I don't know why this fight is headlining anything. DJ has no drawing power at all so it can't benefit the UFC really, or benefit DJ unless they pay him Anderson Silva money.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

david carmichael posted:

your argument would make more sense to me if DJ's entire career wasn't built off of guys who were/are at bantamweight. Demetrious Johnson himself fought for years at 135. But for some reason with TJ Dillashaw it's just way too unreasonable.

as mentioned way above johnson can have it in the contract that he still gets paid regardless of what happens with TJ's weight, that part would be easy to work out since UFC hands out fight & win bonuses all the time for cancelled fights.

The larger point I'm making is anytime a champion starts trying to matchmake on their own it's usually pretty lame and comes off as ducking the more challenging opponent.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Is TJ a draw?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Rory said on Helwani's show that his sponsorship take for that fight would be less than for his last UFC fight from Reebok.

By his choice though because it sounded like he was saying the only way to make a lot was to flood your shorts with lovely sponsors and he'd prefer to not do that.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

not at all, but UFC and Demetrious Johnson aren't going to do any better putting the Ray Brog fight on FOX in front of 1.34 million viewers again. TJ has headlined a few PPVs before and has been on some successful free TV cards, so I do think he is a bigger draw than Demetrious Johnson. TJ Dillashaw should honestly be the guy demanding more money to fight Mighty Mouse.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bubba Smith posted:

not at all, but UFC and Demetrious Johnson aren't going to do any better putting the Ray Brog fight on FOX in front of 1.34 million viewers again. TJ has headlined a few PPVs before and has been on some successful free TV cards, so I do think he is a bigger draw than Demetrious Johnson. TJ Dillashaw should honestly be the guy demanding more money to fight Mighty Mouse.

Ray Brog should fight Giblert.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bubba Smith posted:

Cruz vs. TJ did 125k buys, if TJ is a bigger draw it's really marginal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vice's fightland continues their strident defense of anything Cyborg does because mumble bodyshaming mumble

• Locked thread