Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

namesake posted:

What's the game? I can only think of 'people yell out a number greater than zero, highest number drinks difference between numbers, both drink number if it's the same number'. And that'd still probably end up with people just shouting '1' at each other.

https://thetab.com/2014/12/05/odds-game-ruining-everyones-night-26398

This kind of thing but less... stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Jon Culshaw's Tom Baker has got much better than it used to be.

If I could do Tom Baker that well, I'd basically just talk like that all the time.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That makes me wonder why BF hasn't gotten TBakes to do some "Great Curator" audios of the 28th Doctor or whatever...

Bicyclops posted:

The real question is how come computer Third Doctor didn't figure all this out during the UNIT years (the simulation is imprecise enough that it could have been the 70s or 80s).

Mike Yates: 39! 1,000! 4,967! Haha. Look, I know that when I eat this steak, the shadow game is just telling an NPC that it's juicy and delicious. Ignorance is bliss! Look, zombie-face, when you put me back in your little game, I want to be someone important... like a Brigadier.

More important...how did everyone not pick the same lottery numbers? :aaaaa:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astroman posted:

That makes me wonder why BF hasn't gotten TBakes to do some "Great Curator" audios of the 28th Doctor or whatever...

More important...how did everyone not pick the same lottery numbers? :aaaaa:
Real answer? They weren't picking them synchronized. The two subroutines, we'll call them, making calls to the random number number generator would have to make them in the same instant for them to match, as we saw in the episode.

A random number generator my buddy wrote, specifically because numbers in computers can't actually be random, made calls to a weather database in Sweden or some such other poo poo in the given moment of the number request. Something random-adjacent, given it took millions of things into account and not just "what's the temperature in Sweden." Then it would do its thing. So a number picked from one moment to the next would be considerably more random than any of a dozen things whose programming DNA doesn't change much from your bog-standard Qbasic randomizer.

It was actually pretty cool seeing Doctor Who explain a thing, sort of, that a professional developer friend explained to me years ago that I tucked away, like, "I wonder if this will ever be interesting in conversation."

Sadly, the answer was then, and remains, "pretty much only to me."

But if two people played the lotto at the exact same moment, down to the instant, they would come up with the same numbers. But even a hundredth of a second's difference would lead the two to entirely different answers, hence why Bill and Nardole were cued, and then dramatic license took effect to account for the small differences.

I'm LividLiquid, and I will now drink Evan Williams and ponder my choices.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can think of worst random trivia to know off the top of your head

Like if Bettie Page and the Wolf Man ever had a very NSFW photoshoot together

The answer, like so many things in life, is no

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

Jon Culshaw's Tom Baker has got much better than it used to be.

It still suffers from the same problem as all his impressions, in that they all sound like John Culshaw.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

happyhippy posted:

WE ARE THE EXECUTIONERS OF EVERY SENTIENT SPECIES IN THE UNIVERSE. INCLUDING TIME LORDS
THE FIVE OF US.
WE THINK OF EVERY EVENTUALITY.
EXCEPT THE loving OBVIOUS.
Now watch us run away like Tom and Jerry cartoon characters.

From a few pages back, but this isn't quite right. They're a religion that has dedicated itself to finding a way to kill anything. They're less executioners and more people with too much time on their hands sitting down to think "okay, how could we actually kill a Time Lord?..."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You'd think shooting them until their regenerations ran out would be easier than devising some contraption and guarding the body for a thousand years, but :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

From a few pages back, but this isn't quite right. They're a religion that has dedicated itself to finding a way to kill anything. They're less executioners and more people with too much time on their hands sitting down to think "okay, how could we actually kill a Time Lord?..."

I like that the answer was,"Blast a billion volts through them, lock the corpse in a big box and get another Time Lord to keep an eye on it for 1000 years because who the gently caress knows how these regeneration rules work!?!"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Real answer? They weren't picking them synchronized. The two subroutines, we'll call them, making calls to the random number number generator would have to make them in the same instant for them to match, as we saw in the episode.

For a real life example of this going wrong, I was using monte carlo methods for something in my old job (forget what) and when cutting and pasting the code around accidentally put the initialisation of the random number generator into the for loop rather than outside it. Upshot? Because the loop was so short the random numbers used to be generated from the same timestamp, so they were all the same.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You'd think shooting them until their regenerations ran out would be easier than devising some contraption and guarding the body for a thousand years, but :shrug:

I think the guarding may be more that it's the Master, who last had an on-screen execution by the Daleks and still managed to survive.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Crusader posted:

I think the guarding may be more that it's the Master, who last had an on-screen execution by the Daleks and still managed to survive.

Maybe the Planet of the Deadly Executioners has anti-CGI snake technology.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Drowning works surprisingly well, as it kills the current incarnation and interrupts the Regeneration sequence

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Their religion is the meme that Batman has a plan to kill everyone in the DC universe. Like Batman, they can never be too careful.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

Drowning works surprisingly well, as it kills the current incarnation and interrupts the Regeneration sequence

Face it, Vinylshadow, he's drowned

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MrL_JaKiri posted:

All washed up by the looks of it; rode hard, put away wet
But at least he went out with a splash

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I love Turlough just abandoning the Doctor at the first sign like that. Had the Doctor even hit the water before Turlough was telling Tegan it was time for them to finally end the grieving process, move on and heal? :xd:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I love Turlough just abandoning the Doctor at the first sign like that. Had the Doctor even hit the water before Turlough was telling Tegan it was time for them to finally end the grieving process, move on and heal? :xd:

I watched the episode to get the exact context, and what happens is that the doctor gets knocked into the water, Tegan starts to half heartedly fondle some chains going down to the water (almost like Fielding knew that she was about to be interrupted and wasn't making a serious go of it) and then they have a short conversation the end of which is that line.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crusader posted:

Getting unequivocally killed and then just showing up the next day like nothing happened, without any explanation, is like the Master's favorite trick.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

Getting unequivocally killed and then just showing up the next day like nothing happened, without any explanation, is like the Master's favorite trick.

Isn't there a Pertwee story where his resurrection/prison break is addressed with the following dialog:

"So, you survived. "
"Yes."

Also today I learned that Paul McGann was going to be Sharpe until he injured himself playing football just before filming started. One can only imagine that we would have had one of the three million other possible candidates for Eight if he had.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

Isn't there a Pertwee story where his resurrection/prison break is addressed with the following dialog:

"So, you survived. "
"Yes."

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm in episode 6 now, and I've been quite chuffed with the last three episodes or so. I was really harsh on the first couple, because they were bad, but I'm back on the wagon. Maybe it's just because I'm watching it while working now, instead of paying a lot of attention, but I'm having more fun with it anyway.

I like what you call her now, she seemed really bad in the emoji episode but I think there's better writing now? Maybe it is just I'm paying less focused on it or maybe there's better guest writers in these later episodes or something.

EDIT: Best quote, "It's like Super Mario", which is something I actually say a lot. Really digging this concept.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 24, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

Also today I learned that Paul McGann was going to be Sharpe until he injured himself playing football just before filming started. One can only imagine that we would have had one of the three million other possible candidates for Eight if he had.

Would've been funny if Paul McGann had played Sharpe then Mark McGann had played Eight.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Paul McGann as Sharpe and Sean Bean as Eight.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X58kiUbOBiA
Moffat introduces The Pyramid at the End of the World

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

TinTower posted:

Linked from the actual scene's page, this is pretty dope tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAY-tgKr52s

As someone who wasn't aware Doctor Who impersonators were a thing I was extremely confused for a few moments.

"Wait that's not. But it sounds like? But who's that? And I definitely know this scene... Bwuh?"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In the Mark of the Rani he also says ""Come, come, the whole universe knows I'm indestructible! " when asked how he survived in the Planet of Fire.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I just remembered that Castrolvalva was basically a story about simulations deciding that they are real, too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That episode makes no sense whatsoever if you think about it at all - like the number thing is too easy a tell, you'd have to simulate a universe WITH the doctor's time travel since it took the end of Oxygen into account when they just want to conquer Earth... there's a lot of logical things wrong.
Don't care. It had proper storytelling and was fun to watch and did not poo poo itself trying to be clever. I'm enjoying this season a lot more than the last two for the characterization alone.

I will note that it's kind of odd this season that the Doctor actually mentions religion in a disparaging manner this episode, and mentions meeting Jesus previously. I'm not sure we've had that before. Between that and Bill being a well-written black lesbian whose identity is actually well-represented and having an anti-capitalism episode this feels like a really far left season, considerably more so than say, last seasons zysis episodes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

I like that the answer was,"Blast a billion volts through them, lock the corpse in a big box and get another Time Lord to keep an eye on it for 1000 years because who the gently caress knows how these regeneration rules work!?!"

80s Time Lords knew that total matter dispersal was the way to do it. No body to regenerate, no brain to keep alive in a fishbowl, just pure existence zero. And it would never lead to the condemned being sent through a black hole into a micro-universe of pure gaudiness. Well, almost never.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hemingway To Go! posted:

mentions meeting Jesus previously. I'm not sure we've had that before.

The 10th Doctor starts to mention Jesus in a roundabout way in Planet of the Dead before getting cut off. You probably forgot because like the rest of humanity you tried to scrub that lovely, terrible episode from your brain.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The 10th Doctor starts to mention Jesus in a roundabout way in Planet of the Dead before getting cut off. You probably forgot because like the rest of humanity you tried to scrub that lovely, terrible episode from your brain.

what? is that the fun one with the flying bus and lee evans?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BSam posted:

what? is that the fun one with the flying bus and lee evans?

No, it's the horrible one with the flying bus and lee evans. I'm not sure I've seen the episode you're talking about.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No, it's the horrible one with the flying bus and lee evans. I'm not sure I've seen the episode you're talking about.

:love:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

In the Eighth Doctor audio "Relative Dimensions", the Doctor tells a story about Da Vinci begging him to take him to see the birth of Jesus. He did, but Da Vinci grew wary about seeing it once they had arrived and they left.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

That episode makes no sense whatsoever if you think about it at all - like the number thing is too easy a tell, you'd have to simulate a universe WITH the doctor's time travel since it took the end of Oxygen into account when they just want to conquer Earth... there's a lot of logical things wrong.

Actually, I think I might have a good explanation for some of this, that I believe I got from an SMBC comic (so he probably got it from elsewhere). Basically: we have no proof the simulation's been going for any longer than we were watching it.

If our world didn't exist until five seconds ago, but we were made with believable and largely consistent memories of the world existing beforehand, how could we reasonably tell? Similarly, if the simulation in Extremis is complex enough to have simulated humans that can form memories, and is consistent enough with the real world that Bill's relationships with people are all correct, it's obviously both superficially accurate and capable of complexities, as well as easily having inhabitants smart enough to be fooled by implanted memories.

Consider that the portals Bill and Nardole went through included the Vatican, the Pentagon and CERN. Those are all pretty distinct groups of smart people now, but it would've been a bit pointless to have a portal to an empty plain in North America in the era where the Library of Alexandria existed. Similarly, if you're running the numbers to judge how to attack an enemy very soon, it would be a waste to run those numbers in the past given that these aliens don't have time travel (as far as we know). What use would they have in knowing that there's a massive weakness in our defenses a century before they can attack?

So we can reasonably assume they haven't been running this simulation for long. That, and the fact that this is an episode all set on Earth in the present day (Or not, but you get my point), suggests that they didn't have to design the simulation beyond a specific point. What I'd say they did was simulate from a snapshot taken some soon point after Oxygen, which explains away a lot of weird discrepancies. The reason nobody in the modern world found the RNG secret until reading the Veritas wasn't because it was hard, it was because they weren't existing for long enough to put it together. The reason it could 'simulate the Doctor's time travel' is because it DIDN'T, it just simulated the results and knowledge of it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 25, 2017

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Cleretic posted:

So we can reasonably assume they haven't been running this simulation for long. That, and the fact that this is an episode all set on Earth in the present day (Or not, but you get my point), suggests that they didn't have to design the simulation beyond a specific point. What I'd say they did was simulate from a snapshot taken some soon point after Oxygen, which explains away a lot of weird discrepancies. The reason nobody in the modern world found the RNG secret until reading the Veritas wasn't because it was hard, it was because they weren't existing for long enough to put it together. The reason it could 'simulate the Doctor's time travel' is because it DIDN'T, it just simulated the results and knowledge of it.

Wouldn't this mean that the bad guys created the Veritas themselves when setting up the simulation? That would be a pretty big blunder.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Diabolik900 posted:

Wouldn't this mean that the bad guys created the Veritas themselves when setting up the simulation? That would be a pretty big blunder.

Maybe that was the intention? We know from their admission that they've run the simulation and dealt with the Doctor many times, yet this is the only time word got out to the real Doctor. That suggests that the only reason this one's special is because of that realization, brought on by the Veritas.

I don't know why they'd do that exactly, but I guess if you're experimenting you have to entertain some outside possibilities.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Diabolik900 posted:

My original thinking on this had been that there were possibly different eras being run simultaneously, essentially in different tabs - with all the self-awareness happening around the same time. From the Doctor's perspective, the Veritas message has been around for centuries, but it actually had just been written. But if they're projected holograms rather than entirely virtual, this makes less sense.

Now, I'm seeing it more like Restaurant at the End of the Universe, where there really is a Veritas document that reveals some Terrible Secret of Space, but in the program it only reveals the Terrible Secret of the Simulation.

After The War fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The sort of aliens who would create an elaborate simulation for the purpose of conquering it are also the kind of aliens who would sadistically leave clues for the AI that they aren't real, even if it went against the purpose of the whole experiment, anyway. Maybe the whole purpose of the simulation is so the zombie aliens can run in every once in awhile, kill a bunch of the NPCs in scary, confusing ways, and have a good laugh, a sort of simple way to get them prepared to do the real thing and think of earthlings as nothing more than NPCs. Like Call of Duty.

• Locked thread