Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

weekly font posted:

Play games like this with goons.

Oh I do, it's the only way I play PUBG or when people played it Wildlands or BF1 or PD2. Avoid pubbies like the plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I wish killing Jason was more convoluted

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

weekly font posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caR9qt49Ueo

Step 1. A Female Counselor retrieves the sweater from Jason's mother's shrine.
Step 2. Remove Jason's Mask via face pummeling.
Step 3. Have Tommy Jarvis pick up the Mask.
Step 4. Female Counselor presses Q in Proximity of Jason.
Step 5. Female Counselor hits Jason (Ideally a Headshot).
Step 6. Jason falls to knees and Tommy presses E. Enjoy!

huh, all the mroe reason to murder tommy when he shows up i guess

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is it appropriate for Jason to play "Murder" from the Reefer Madness musical while killing?

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

chitoryu12 posted:

Is it appropriate for Jason to play "Murder" from the Reefer Madness musical while killing?

no, this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c71RCAyLS1M

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So it basically requires a lot of poo poo to go really wrong for the Jason player

Yep that makes sense

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caR9qt49Ueo

Step 1. A Female Counselor retrieves the sweater from Jason's mother's shrine.
Step 2. Remove Jason's Mask via face pummeling.
Step 3. Have Tommy Jarvis pick up the Mask.
Step 4. Female Counselor presses Q in Proximity of Jason.
Step 5. Female Counselor hits Jason (Ideally a Headshot).
Step 6. Jason falls to knees and Tommy presses E. Enjoy!

The dude on video makes watching this insufferable.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Don't forget that Jason is immediately alerted when someone goes for his mom's shirt on the island, so you can't coordinate this in secret or anything. He's going to know what you're doing

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kelp Plankton posted:

Don't forget that Jason is immediately alerted when someone goes for his mom's shirt on the island, so you can't coordinate this in secret or anything. He's going to know what you're doing

Yeah. 99.5% of the time this happens itll be groups coordinating with the Jason player to see it. The .5% of times it happens in game will feel glorious.

Skoll posted:

The dude on video makes watching this insufferable.

Dude is exactly the kind of dork I imagine trying to speed run a coop multiplayer game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I wonder if people are going to be angry that it is impossible to kill Jason during the beta despite being lied to?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Scalding Coffee posted:

I wonder if people are going to be angry that it is impossible to kill Jason during the beta despite being lied to?

They never said that Jason was or was not actually killable in beta.

Trying to kill Jason looks hard to actually pull off without a co-operative Jason, and is likely a recipe for a 7/7 wipe. Exactly as it should be.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

They never said that Jason was or was not actually killable in beta.

Trying to kill Jason looks hard to actually pull off without a co-operative Jason, and is likely a recipe for a 7/7 wipe. Exactly as it should be.

I dicked around in Jason's shack a bunch and was never able to pick up the sweater but who cares. (reddit cares, i'm sure)

Also I'm p sure devs confirmed that what streamers are playing now is before a day 1 patch that's dropping which is cool. The only gameplay thing I hope gets tweaked is the cooldown on the teleport. Stretch it out a little more or escaping via car is borderline impossible with a competent Jason.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Trying to do the Jason kill is a prisoner's dilemma type problem, if you ask me.

It's an extremely high-risk move that is 100% guaranteed to draw Jason's attention to you, and you need to be coordinated with the counselor who becomes Tommy. In a pub game, that's going to be really, really difficult because if Jason's already killed a few counselors, you're not sure if the talkative one you need to pull it off is going to respawn as Tommy. Plus any competent Jason at that point is just going to double-down on murdering Tommy ASAP because if he bites it, the attempt is over no matter what.

Meanwhile, if you play to just survive you can take advantage of Jason's primary weakness - he can't be everywhere at once. If you're going for any other escape option at the same time as other counselors, Jason will have a harder time pinning you all down before at least one of you (hopefully you) succeeds.

To put it simply - you have a much better chance of surviving by playing to survive instead of trying to kill Jason.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Agreed, but I imagine everyone will want at least one Jason kill to notch their achievement bedpost.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skoll posted:

Agreed, but I imagine everyone will want at least one Jason kill to notch their achievement bedpost.

In fairness the achievement list looks like godawful generic 13 repeats I'm not sure if hitting them will be that desirable.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Poulpe posted:

I also get why they do it and think it's kind of crappy, but mostly because I'm 98% sure there's some marketing guy out there getting himself off to his genius use of "influencers."

Also, for pulling this marketing stunt, the game really doesn't really look fantastic, just alright, which is a shame. The counselors don't really seem to have much agency in gameplay, which results in a match either looking like "uneventful looting spree + escape" or "get found, chased, and inevitably killed." I guess I'm wishing there were a little bit more to it.

Additionally, the environmental kills appear to be too few and far between to pull off with any reliability, which means 90% of the time you get Jason's default "kill the person I'm holding" animations, of which they only decided to give each Jason one for some reason. For being the game sold on gruesome deaths I thought they'd put in a little more effort there!

That sucks to hear. Time to refund my pre-order. :sigh:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

VolticSurge posted:

FYI that post is super wrong, if you're not joking.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

weekly font posted:

FYI that post is super wrong, if you're not joking.

About what? The part about the councilors having no agency? Or the part about there not being many cool kill animations?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

VolticSurge posted:

About what? The part about the councilors having no agency? Or the part about there not being many cool kill animations?

First off, Jason has several kill animations to start with and others that get unlocked.

Unlocking skills also rolls over to counselors who are trash at first and become better and more unique the more perks you get.

Also, the game has been available to streamers for 1 day so forgive people for not being MLG yet. If that poster was looking for "a little more" then he hasn't been following this game from jump street or hasn't seen what Dead by Daylight is content doing.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

VolticSurge posted:

Sorry you let other people tell you whether you should enjoy a game. :byewhore:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

weekly font posted:

I dicked around in Jason's shack a bunch and was never able to pick up the sweater but who cares. (reddit cares, i'm sure)

Also I'm p sure devs confirmed that what streamers are playing now is before a day 1 patch that's dropping which is cool. The only gameplay thing I hope gets tweaked is the cooldown on the teleport. Stretch it out a little more or escaping via car is borderline impossible with a competent Jason.

It's the same thing as noted above with the "try to kill Jason" route. If Jason is actively blocking the car escape while people monkey around him like idiots, call the cops!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I think the only thing I'm actually worried about in PUG games is if a group of friends chatting over discord (with one of them being Jason) just decides to team up and kill the rest of the counselors. That seems Not Fun.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It's the same thing as noted above with the "try to kill Jason" route. If Jason is actively blocking the car escape while people monkey around him like idiots, call the cops!

Yeah cop escape is definitely the best way to go (love that they added a required fuse) but car escapes are a loving blast when four people are in there. It just seems a tad easy to squelch.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I also want to take this opportunity to note that you are probably going to die. Even if you are good. Survival is not a "if I'm good I'll definitely survive" thing. You will die most matches unless your Jason is really incompetent.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I also want to take this opportunity to note that you are probably going to die. Even if you are good. Survival is not a "if I'm good I'll definitely survive" thing. You will die most matches unless your Jason is really incompetent.

Just lmao if you don't laugh hysterically when your leg gets wishboned off.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MazelTovCocktail posted:

In fairness the achievement list looks like godawful generic 13 repeats I'm not sure if hitting them will be that desirable.

Honestly I would just SAM most of those.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a reason why it is ideally 7 V 1.

Because the 1 is really loving dangerous even with the 7 all being armed and able to fight back. That's like the entire point of the game and the movies.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

weekly font posted:

Yeah cop escape is definitely the best way to go (love that they added a required fuse) but car escapes are a loving blast when four people are in there. It just seems a tad easy to squelch.

You need a fuse now? Can Jason break the radio in anyway to prevent the cops from being called? I remember he can take out the phones and lights.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure if you need a new fuse every time, but you need one to fix it the first time and Jason can still break the fucker.

If you need a fuse every time, Woof

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Burkion posted:

I'm not sure if you need a new fuse every time, but you need one to fix it the first time and Jason can still break the fucker.

If you need a fuse every time, Woof

I think it's just for the initial repair, kinda like how Jason can break the car but you don't need to gas/battery it every time. There's also a boat escape now that I can't wait to gently caress up.

e: hahah I'm pretty sure I just watched a streamer break car escape. he drove in reverse the entire way out because Jason can't smash it from the back

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I think it is great that Jason is hard to kill, but as his deaths are some of the most fun in the series, I hope that more options open up to kill him over time.

Like for me, a draw of the series was always a more-or-less equal pull between how creative the kills can be for Jason's victims and how the hell they're going to stop him this time.

There has to be limits to it otherwise he's not stupidly overpowered (which he should be), of course.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Captain Magic posted:

I think it is great that Jason is hard to kill, but as his deaths are some of the most fun in the series, I hope that more options open up to kill him over time.

Like for me, a draw of the series was always a more-or-less equal pull between how creative the kills can be for Jason's victims and how the hell they're going to stop him this time.

There has to be limits to it otherwise he's not stupidly overpowered (which he should be), of course.

I'm hoping one of them involves the boat.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

In my fanfic the part 9 map DLC lets you open a hell portal with the Necronomicon

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So in a bid to kill time and not watch idiots on twitch (as always I'm sure there are good ones, but man it's searching through the trash), anyone firing up the movies, reading Crystal Lake Memories or watching the doc. It's funny I don't even think of myself as the biggest fan of the series but I so how wound up with physical and later on the updated and expanded ebook of CLM.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I hope you can kill Jason in the middle of a lake or with a lightning rod or some poo poo.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So in a bid to kill time and not watch idiots on twitch (as always I'm sure there are good ones, but man it's searching through the trash), anyone firing up the movies, reading Crystal Lake Memories or watching the doc. It's funny I don't even think of myself as the biggest fan of the series but I so how wound up with physical and later on the updated and expanded ebook of CLM.

Funny that you mention that, I just grabbed a copy of Crystal Lake Memories at the local Indigo. (We don't have Barnes and Noble over here. :canada:) It's a pretty interesting read.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VolticSurge posted:

Funny that you mention that, I just grabbed a copy of Crystal Lake Memories at the local Indigo. (We don't have Barnes and Noble over here. :canada:) It's a pretty interesting read.

It's a really nicely done book and even better it was never priced as some crazy collectors level. I do think it's worth picking up the eBook as it was expanded and it's cheap if you really like the book. I always thought it was cool he somehow was able to interview Kelly Rowland.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Which is how it should be, and makes the other posts from the Internet bitching about this hilarious. I read one reddit post at work yesterday that was like "Is it just me or is Jason OP? I've never seen the movies but there should be an obvious 50-50 chance and it would get boring if you knew winning as counselor was slim" :shepicide:

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
Jason's new ability (Stalk) cuts off the music telling conselors he's nearby for 2 minutes (if he's standing still) or 15-20 seconds if he's moving.

It'll be so easy to just go sit in a bathroom as Jason, activate stalk and just say on voice chat "There's a gas can in here" and wait for the pants to fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best part is

Jason is like the only slasher villain who gets the ever loving poo poo kicked out of him through out the movies. Most of them, the beat down on Slasher only happens with the last person and at the very end. With Jason, it's just a constant pain train that he powers through.

That's part of why Jason seems so much stronger than most of the others- he just takes all this poo poo and keeps getting back up.

The fact that the survivors can fight back with so many different weapons is fantastic. I don't think you could make a more Friday the 13th style game than this.

• Locked thread