Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

The best part is

Jason is like the only slasher villain who gets the ever loving poo poo kicked out of him through out the movies. Most of them, the beat down on Slasher only happens with the last person and at the very end. With Jason, it's just a constant pain train that he powers through.

That's part of why Jason seems so much stronger than most of the others- he just takes all this poo poo and keeps getting back up.

The fact that the survivors can fight back with so many different weapons is fantastic. I don't think you could make a more Friday the 13th style game than this.

I'm still waiting for Jason X skin and a randomly generated nanobot medical stasis chamber in Stillwater camp.

I also plan on hosting a midnight or 12:05 or w/e we can get in private match of goons. All are welcome. I may snipe Jason because I'll have to go to bed shortly thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Jason Takes Manhattan map set in 1980s Times Square.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

chitoryu12 posted:

You mean 90% on a ship, 8% in Vancouver sewer sets and 2% in Times Square

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

chitoryu12 posted:

Instead of Tommy Jarvis you respawn as Peter Venkman, ghostbuster.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Instead of Tommy Jarvis you respawn as Peter Venkman, ghostbuster.

For some reason, that would just not seem out of place at all, but totally perfect.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Skoll posted:

For some reason, that would just not seem out of place at all, but totally perfect.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

weekly font posted:

I think it's just for the initial repair, kinda like how Jason can break the car but you don't need to gas/battery it every time. There's also a boat escape now that I can't wait to gently caress up.

e: hahah I'm pretty sure I just watched a streamer break car escape. he drove in reverse the entire way out because Jason can't smash it from the back
Jason can smash the gently caress out of a car going reverse.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Scalding Coffee posted:

Jason can smash the gently caress out of a car

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I'm planning on buying this for the PS4 tomorrow as I'm off work, normally I never buy on release and always prefer to go for a physical release as I'm not much of a gamer but I am a fan of the movies and this looks insanely fun, I'll probably still pick up a copy of the physical version when it drops significantly in price as I just like to have it on my shelf.

I've tried researching but can't really find much info I take it the UK release will be at the same time as the US

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

weekly font posted:

First off, Jason has several kill animations to start with and others that get unlocked.

Unlocking skills also rolls over to counselors who are trash at first and become better and more unique the more perks you get.

Also, the game has been available to streamers for 1 day so forgive people for not being MLG yet. If that poster was looking for "a little more" then he hasn't been following this game from jump street or hasn't seen what Dead by Daylight is content doing.
"That Poster" does follow Dead By Daylight! :v: That's why this initial impression is striking me as a little disappointing! It doesn't feel like the counselors do much to actually interact with Jason aside from "hit him and run" vs DBD's totems, hooks, pallets, and traps, which leaves the main gameplay loop to be "rifle through as many drawers as possible before he gets to you." I would hope the teamwork element can make up for that but who knows.

Completely true that the game is just beginning and there's perks and junk to unlock which ought to change things up, it's just striking me that there isn't much to do as a counselor except open countless drawers to find bits, and deliver bits to 1/3 unchanging win conditions.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I also want to take this opportunity to note that you are probably going to die. Even if you are good. Survival is not a "if I'm good I'll definitely survive" thing. You will die most matches unless your Jason is really incompetent.
And I think this is really at the heart of it- when you escape should you feel like you've done a good job or simply feel lucky?
I'm not telling anybody not to play it obviously, just giving my impressions in the Friday The 13th thread.

Also this is a minor gripe, but look at Jason's weirdly jaunty run animation as compared to the hillbilly's walk from DBD, which is menacing and horrific. Where's the love?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Poulpe posted:

"That Poster" does follow Dead By Daylight! :v: That's why this initial impression is striking me as a little disappointing! It doesn't feel like the counselors do much to actually interact with Jason aside from "hit him and run" vs DBD's totems, hooks, pallets, and traps, which leaves the main gameplay loop to be "rifle through as many drawers as possible before he gets to you." I would hope the teamwork element can make up for that but who knows.

Completely true that the game is just beginning and there's perks and junk to unlock which ought to change things up, it's just striking me that there isn't much to do as a counselor except open countless drawers to find bits, and deliver bits to 1/3 unchanging win conditions.

And I think this is really at the heart of it- when you escape should you feel like you've done a good job or simply feel lucky?
I'm not telling anybody not to play it obviously, just giving my impressions in the Friday The 13th thread.

Also this is a minor gripe, but look at Jason's weirdly jaunty run animation as compared to the hillbilly's walk from DBD, which is menacing and horrific. Where's the love?

"Your run animation isn't menacing enough, Jason III!"
he said as Jason buried an axe into his testicles.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 25, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Poulpe posted:

That's Kane Hodder, one of the guys who played Jason in the movies, running. It was mo-capped.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's REALLY funny to see someone describe killer<->survivor interactions in DbD as varied.

like, both funny ha-ha and funny weird.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 25, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Fosson posted:

Which is how it should be, and makes the other posts from the Internet bitching about this hilarious. I read one reddit post at work yesterday that was like "Is it just me or is Jason OP? I've never seen the movies but there should be an obvious 50-50 chance and it would get boring if you knew winning as counselor was slim" :shepicide:

Christ.

50-50 is likely the intended chance that at least ONE survives. That's the whole point of 7 on 1 if you ask me. The odds everyone is going to escape are basically zero unless your Jason just fucks around the whole match. The game seems designed to favor 1-3 survivors at max in a normal session.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's Kane Hodder, one of the guys who played Jason in the movies, running. It was mo-capped.

It's actually very reflective of the movie. A lot of work went into getting the details accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QytYkeu17J8

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Poulpe posted:

One of these looks like poo poo, and the other is Jason. You say where's the love, but:

And I doubt they did that for DbD.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure we see Part 3 Jason running too.

Complaining that Jason looks silly doing his run is kind of like looking at Godzilla and complaining that he looks like a dude in a suit.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

"Your run animation isn't menacing enough, Jason III!"
he said as Jason buried an axe into his testicles.
I'm just sayin', it's a love letter to one of the biggest icons in horror and watching him bounce around like it's his birthday while viciously slaughtering teens for his dead mother... I dunno, doesn't feel like it's doing him justice.

Huh! That's pretty cool actually. I still feel like it's a little weird and out of place but I like that they did that.

Coolguye posted:

it's REALLY funny to see someone describe killer<->survivor interactions in DbD as varied.

like, both funny ha-ha and funny weird.
Varied in comparison to this game's interactions, which is the meat of my criticism.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Poulpe posted:

I'm just sayin', it's a love letter to one of the biggest icons in horror and watching him bounce around like it's his birthday while viciously slaughtering teens for his dead mother... I dunno, doesn't feel like it's doing him justice.

I main Jason VII like a man anyway.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

ComposerGuy posted:

Christ.

50-50 is likely the intended chance that at least ONE survives. That's the whole point of 7 on 1 if you ask me. The odds everyone is going to escape are basically zero unless your Jason just fucks around the whole match. The game seems designed to favor 1-3 survivors at max in a normal session.

Exactly. Which is where the "hey I've never seen a single movie in this franchise but yo I play a ton of video games" is just.... :cripes:

And it isn't just that poor gently caress, I've seen threads like that pop up here and there for months. :corsair: just the mentality of the gaming youth I tell you!

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Fosson posted:

Exactly. Which is where the "hey I've never seen a single movie in this franchise but yo I play a ton of video games" is just.... :cripes:

And it isn't just that poor gently caress, I've seen threads like that pop up here and there for months. :corsair: just the mentality of the gaming youth I tell you!

It would have been a cool mechanic if they powered up the remaining survivors as Jason picks them off, like the movies. The longer you last the more capable you are, right?

Though that would completely incentivize loving your teammates as much as possible so maybe not.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Poulpe posted:

Varied in comparison to this game's interactions, which is the meat of my criticism.
no, it isn't even. like, objectively.

i've played DbD on release. i played hundreds of hours. i worked my way up to rank 4 killer and rank 7 survivor at various points. DbD is soul-crushingly boring to play because the killer type really only matters in terms of the game related to detecting the survivors. after a survivor is detected, and a chase starts, there is a colossal dearth of mechanics and the killer WILL catch and WILL down the survivor, which puts them into a dying state that is unimaginably uninteresting and boring for them. the hook experience as a whole is also unimaginably uninteresting and boring. this makes the chase unimaginably interesting and boring, and discouraging besides. this basic dynamic has not changed since the day of release and with the bloodlust mechanic they just put in it's now even worse on the survivors. DbD could be taught in schools as a textbook example of terrible concept execution. in this game if you get attacked and hit with the weapon, you just loving die instead of being strung along in two states of diet agency.

i don't even remotely consider running skill checks on different items to be varied in terms of survivor play. i run skill checks on things and try to use perk combinations to stay hidden when there's not a blatantly OP loadout that makes me invulnerable (like there currently is with self-heal/borrowed time).

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
DbD is a game about people getting salty about being killed in a game about being killed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fosson posted:

There's definitely going to be two types of people who play this game, those that laugh their rear end off and have just as much fun getting killed as when they survive, and those that want to win every single round of every game they play and get super pissed off when they don't .The first type are the ones who love the movies and enjoy playing both sides of the equation. You can't have a Friday the 13th movie without some deaths!

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Coolguye posted:

no, it isn't even. like, objectively.

Well- you're not wrong about most of that post, being downed and hooked both suck and are boring, and they also create dynamic incentives for your teammates, which I think is more the rub that they were going for. While you're downed or hooked your allies need to be deciding if they're patching generators, dismantling hooks or totems or traps, digging for supplies, or trying to rescue fallen allies.

F13 is still fresh obviously but the impression I'm getting is "fix the generator * 3" and "dig for supplies." Your caught allies are dead full stop and voluntarily being around Jason to try and distract or save them seems to be a bad idea.

IN ANY CASE we can disagree and that's fine.
Also why do you play videogames you don't like for so long??

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It's actually very reflective of the movie. A lot of work went into getting the details accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QytYkeu17J8

All characters in both games should run like that fat cop, complete with stopping to adjust his hair.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm gong to be and want to game with the people who laugh their rear end off at getting killed and having funny poo poo happen. This game is set up perfectly for that.

https://clips.twitch.tv/OnerousPolishedWolverineThisIsSparta

I don't even see how you can tryhard a game like this. I mean I'm sure there will be people who get angry they don't go 8/8 kills or escape within 5 mins but eh.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Homeroom Fingering posted:

All characters in both games should run like that fat cop, complete with stopping to adjust his hair.

Oh, also from a way earlier discussion, the intelligence stat changed to "repair," however is functionally identical.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Poulpe posted:

Well- you're not wrong about most of that post, being downed and hooked both suck and are boring,
DbD fans always admit this but never seem to come around to how these are real problems that might turn people off or could be done better by, you know, not having ridiculous amounts of helpless downtime. and you're also about the billionth person to throw this passive aggressive straw man out there:

Poulpe posted:

IN ANY CASE we can disagree and that's fine.
Also why do you play videogames you don't like for so long??

skinner box effect, continuing promises from devs which never panned out, constantly reinforced assertions from the community that high level play was different and better (it wasn't and isn't). all of these phenomenons are well known among dozens of games. the idea that someone must like a game if they put more than the steam 2 hour refund period into it is absurd. don't do that crap.

DbD is terrible and it's entirely possible F13 could also be bad despite or in a reversal from what we've seen. but it's dumb to come in here and hold DbD on a pedestal, even in terms of commercial effect it's already less important to its publisher than Payday 2 despite PD2 being far older and further into its production cycle.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 25, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Protip: lower your volume before you watch this clip. It's worth seeing but it's got the Screamer Streamer curse, big time.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Oh, also from a way earlier discussion, the intelligence stat changed to "repair," however is functionally identical.

I'm guessing this was a preemptive PR move. I'll admit when I saw the initial stats of the counselors I immediately honed in on the "Oh, the one black guy is a jock with 1 intelligence....that's kind of not good guys".

Going with "repair", since that's literally all Intelligence ever managed anyway, is a much better choice.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Poulpe posted:

What's he supposed to do?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ComposerGuy posted:

I'm guessing this was a preemptive PR move. I'll admit when I saw the initial stats of the counselors I immediately honed in on the "Oh, the one black guy is a jock with 1 intelligence....that's kind of not good guys".

Going with "repair", since that's literally all Intelligence ever managed anyway, is a much better choice.

there are plenty of honkies with 1 int, i doubt that was the primary thought in their minds. however, it's not clear that intelligence relates to repairing from looking at it, whereas if you call it repair that's immediately obvious.

as it stands the only stat now that doesn't viscerally relate to its direct function is luck. which is...luck.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Skoll posted:

The dude on video makes watching this insufferable.

Was going to post and say this but I'll just add that turning your volume down would be advisable.

Edit: welp! I shoulda read the post by Megaman's Jockstrap

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 25, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

What's he supposed to do?

Run in a way Jason has never, ever moved apparently.

I just never saw anything wrong with the way he runs. That's how he ran in Part 3.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Coolguye posted:

there are plenty of honkies with 1 int, i doubt that was the primary thought in their minds. however, it's not clear that intelligence relates to repairing from looking at it, whereas if you call it repair that's immediately obvious.

Could be. And you're right, it's much more intuitive.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Burkion posted:

Run in a way Jason has never, ever moved apparently.

I just never saw anything wrong with the way he runs. That's how he ran in Part 3.

Exactly, Jason isn't Pumpkinhead or the limping mutants from The Hills have Eyes, he's just ugly dude that slowly became zombified in later films but he never moved or acted beastly.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
As much as I like to poo poo on Twitch streamers, the youtube live ones might be even worse. Twitch is blocked at work so I watched a youtube live girl who constantly screamed, gave away her location over her mic to Jason every chance she had, and had a graphic she used to cover the screen during a death scene so you couldn't see the gore.

decent rack

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So... that link...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burkion posted:

I'm pretty sure we see Part 3 Jason running too.

Complaining that Jason looks silly doing his run is kind of like looking at Godzilla and complaining that he looks like a dude in a suit.

Keep in mind Kane only played Jason for 4 films, the other times it was a bunch of different people (and directors so you had a crap ton of variations). Kane has his own "views on the Jason character" in terms of what he should do, running was a big no no for him, along with killing animals. So I'm not shocked that the running looks odd, since he never did it in the roll to the best of my knowledge.

One weird side effect of Kane doing mocap for all the Jason's in this game is Jason is a lot more bigger and bulkier than he ever was in most of the earlier movies. It's kind of a shame that they all seem to have the same bulk to them.

• Locked thread