Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

RyokoTK posted:

Unfortunately Baroque was impenetrable garbage.
Of course it was, it's a Sting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, why can't the Far Cry series go back to grounded, apolitical stories about white Americans murdering thousands of brown people with bazookas and machine guns while wrapping themselves in the totems of the culture they're actively fighting against.

Hey don't lump FC2 in with 3. You could play as one of a bunch of different immoral mercenaries from all over the world exploiting a single country's conflict for personal gain, forced to do sort of decent things here and there so as to not die of malaria.

Also it's not apolitical, just really ham-fisted.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

barcoded posted:

The fact that Gat's romance option is genuinely touching and heartfelt makes this even better

This is from four pages ago, but I want to bring this up again just because last time I tried this, my co-op partner suddenly slid sideways into the shot because he also tried to bone Gat and the game got confused. Saints Row 4 has some of the best glitches even when they aren't on purpose :allears:

https://gfycat.com/SpryFairAfricanbushviper

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

So it turned out Prey 2 was originally going to have a wonderfully dickish quest in its story, before getting cancelled.

:laffo:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder if anyone has role-played a game like that - treating every death as a memory and trying to figure out what is going on and why they're stuck in a time loop

Although I guess that's basically what Bloodsouls/Soulsbourne games are?

Planescape: Torment. One quest is a woman who's hellbent on killing you, and one way to resolve it is to shrug and let her kill you - you get back up a short while later and go back to her. She admits it felt good but was hollow, clearly vengeance isn't the answer.

A huge part of the game is figuring out why you're immortal and how it happened, usually alongside figuring out what past yous have done. The Practical Incarnation is a bastard, and the hell of it is he wasn't even malicious - he was just utterly ruthless and pragmatic.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cythereal posted:

A huge part of the game is figuring out why you're immortal and how it happened, usually alongside figuring out what past yous have done. The Practical Incarnation is a bastard, and the hell of it is he wasn't even malicious - he was just utterly ruthless and pragmatic.

The practical incarnation literally did nothing wrong. Everything he did was trying to end his miserable wraith-like unlife. It's clear at one point he realized his very existent was anathema to everything in the planes so he needed a way to permanently die in the right way. It's a hell of a thing alright when living for that long can warp even the best intentions into horrible machinations. Everyone play planescape right now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FauxGateau posted:

The practical incarnation literally did nothing everything wrong.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

FauxGateau posted:

The practical incarnation literally did nothing wrong. Everything he did was trying to end his miserable wraith-like unlife. It's clear at one point he realized his very existent was anathema to everything in the planes so he needed a way to permanently die in the right way. It's a hell of a thing alright when living for that long can warp even the best intentions into horrible machinations. Everyone play planescape right now.

Coaxmetal posted:

"Immortality is only a word. All that exists can die. Every living thing has a weapon against which it has no defense. Time. Disease. Iron. Guilt."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FauxGateau posted:

Dude pretended to be in love with someone so that if everything went wrong her spirit wouldn't move on. He used love as a tool to turn her into a beacon. That ain't right.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mierenneuker posted:

Dude pretended to be in love with someone so that if everything went wrong her spirit wouldn't move on. He used love as a tool to turn her into a beacon. That ain't right.

It worked didn't it?

TexMexFoodbaby has a new favorite as of 09:03 on May 26, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

pretend i made one of those political chart memes with the various incarnations of the nameless one and the practical incarnation at the top left

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

pretend i made one of those political chart memes with the various incarnations of the nameless one and the practical incarnation at the top left every box

fixed that for ya

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

The scene with Deionarra's Memory Stone is one of the best pieces of writing I can think of in a videogame. Especially the way you see events play out from three different viewpoints - her's, Mr Practical's, and your own. And forcing you to select the appropriate dialogue choices was a clever use of the dialogue system. Absolutely brutal.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder if anyone has role-played a game like that - treating every death as a memory and trying to figure out what is going on and why they're stuck in a time loop

Although I guess that's basically what Bloodsouls/Soulsbourne games are?

There was a pretty crummy Japanese adventure game on the PS2 called Shadow of Memories that used (and largely squandered) this exact premise. You're a dude in modern Germany who gets mysteriously murdered one day only instead of actually dying he respawns shortly beforehand and has to figure out how he was killed and to stop it. Some of them are fairly mundane (get stabbed in the back and then find a metal plate to hide under your shirt, get poisoned and then know not to eat) but the plot involves time travel and the Philosopher's Stone and an anime homunculus so eventually you're doing bonkers cathair mustache puzzles like avoiding getting run over by going back in time and inspiring a filmmaker so his movie poster in the modern time draws a crowd that blocks the road.

The game's hidden true ending (which takes something ridiculous like four complete playthroughs to unlock) is finding out that you're actually the guy who invented the Philosopher's Stone back in dark ages Germany and while it made you immortal it also made you an amnesiac so you've been futzing around for centuries constantly forgetting who you are.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Shadow of Memories/Destiny (Depending on the PAL or NTSC release) is loving amazing and should be experienced rather than spoilt if possible. Read the screenshot LP of it on the LP Archive for a real strange trip :munch:.

Besides, the best ending is lying down in the town square after fixing everything and getting run over by a car.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Guy Mann posted:

There was a pretty crummy Japanese adventure game on the PS2 called Shadow of Memories that used (and largely squandered) this exact premise. You're a dude in modern Germany who gets mysteriously murdered one day only instead of actually dying he respawns shortly beforehand and has to figure out how he was killed and to stop it. Some of them are fairly mundane (get stabbed in the back and then find a metal plate to hide under your shirt, get poisoned and then know not to eat) but the plot involves time travel and the Philosopher's Stone and an anime homunculus so eventually you're doing bonkers cathair mustache puzzles like avoiding getting run over by going back in time and inspiring a filmmaker so his movie poster in the modern time draws a crowd that blocks the road.

Ghost Trick

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's some fun tweaking of self and identity in SOMA but describing it would spoil the entire game.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Don Gato posted:

fixed that for ya

You forgot Landerig.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

There's some fun tweaking of self and identity in SOMA but describing it would spoil the entire game.

That game was amazing but holy loving poo poo the main character was a goddamn moron. I don't remember how many times the very simple concept of copying was explained to him and he still didn't get it even at the very end of the game. It's not that difficult of a concept, dude!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Shadow of Memories could've been a much, much better game than it turned out to be. I enjoyed reading the LP way more than I did playing the couple hours or so that I did back in the day.

Pretty sure at one point you travel back into the past (or maybe the future?) to become a juggler to prevent yourself from walking down a path or something stupid like that.

The best part of the true ending was my favourite part in all of these repeating-timeline-style storylines - when your character knows everything that has happened and can out-step the villain at every turn because he knows exactly what he's going to do, acting like such a smug gently caress the entire time. I love that poo poo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Morpheus posted:

Shadow of Memories could've been a much, much better game than it turned out to be. I enjoyed reading the LP way more than I did playing the couple hours or so that I did back in the day.

Pretty sure at one point you travel back into the past (or maybe the future?) to become a juggler to prevent yourself from walking down a path or something stupid like that.

The best part of the true ending was my favourite part in all of these repeating-timeline-style storylines - when your character knows everything that has happened and can out-step the villain at every turn because he knows exactly what he's going to do, acting like such a smug gently caress the entire time. I love that poo poo.

I loved just how insane the plot became but in a way that made more sense, like the odd character design where the Waitress is a blonde in a family of Brunettes and the medieval girl is vice versa The homunculous actually switched them at birth, so when the waitress gets stuck back in time in an accident she is more at home than she's ever been, meanwhile when the villain tries to hold the life of your ancestor over your head, stranding her in the future will actually do gently caress all. The Homunculous has set things up so that Ike will accidentally fix the timeline himself.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The only way I can rationalize the weird cult that thinks Shadow of Memories is an overlooked gem is the combination of being a super early PS2 game plus having voice acting when that was still a novelty plus being an adventure game in the middle of the post-Lucasarts drought, along with the usual curve that comes from being an obscure game and also Japanese.

If you have fond memories of playing it back in the day then do yourself a favor and don't play it again, it really does not hold up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Guy Mann posted:

The only way I can rationalize the weird cult that thinks Shadow of Memories is an overlooked gem is the combination of being a super early PS2 game plus having voice acting when that was still a novelty plus being an adventure game in the middle of the post-Lucasarts drought, along with the usual curve that comes from being an obscure game and also Japanese.

If you have fond memories of playing it back in the day then do yourself a favor and don't play it again, it really does not hold up.

I bought it on a bootlegged CD for the PC from a shady merchant in Bangladesh, so, that 'usual curve' was like a hairpin turn. The description on the back of the plastic bag the disc was in was translated by some bad software, the image on the front was basically a screenshot. I had literally no idea what I was getting into.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I finished Planescape Torment a few days ago for the first time and it was fantastic. The reason why I finally managed to play it all the way through is that there is now a remastered version that handles all the annoying mods you would usually need to install, like resolution or text changer, bugfixes etc.

It's really well done, not too expensive, and a great way for all those who never played it to experience it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Son of Rodney posted:

I finished Planescape Torment a few days ago for the first time and it was fantastic. The reason why I finally managed to play it all the way through is that there is now a remastered version that handles all the annoying mods you would usually need to install, like resolution or text changer, bugfixes etc.

It's really well done, not too expensive, and a great way for all those who never played it to experience it.

It's still 2ED rules, though, right?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Aleph Null posted:

It's still 2ED rules, though, right?

In planescape you basically try and avoid combat anyway.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If you do get into combat be a mage. The spells are both powerful and awesome, including the god of logic shooting a beam cannon at them, pulling down meteors, and summoning a portal to hell under them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Guy Mann posted:

I only watched the Retsupurae series on it, but it strikes me as exactly the sort of game that's more fun in retrospect than at the time. The type of game where you just forget all the terrible parts because they aren't fun or interesting, and remember the hilarious/interesting parts, which in this case is all the crazy time travel bullshit.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:38 on May 27, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

I only watched the Retsupurae series on it, but it strikes me as exactly the sort of game that's more fun in retrospect than at the time. The type of game where you just forget all the terrible parts because they aren't fun or interesting, and just remember the hilarious/interesting parts, which in this case is all the crazy time travel bullshit.

I actually bought it out of curiosity because I love batshit-insane idiosyncratic games like it. The gameplay's actually very serviceable, it's pretty much a precursor to the more modern "walking simulator" style of Telltale Games releases (along with Until Dawn and Life is Strange, etc).

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
A recent episode of the Watch Out for Fireballs podcast covers all of Shadow of Memories if you want to hear all the important parts in two and a half hours.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Since I just made a whinge post about it: Victor vran is pretty drat good. The weapons feel different and satisfying, level progression is nice, the map challenges are cool and the dude that did Geralt voices the main character and I still haven't really gotten used to it.

I really like how it does difficulty. Playing on normal, you unlock five hexes a couple hours in. They each do a different thing, from hurting you for negligible damage every minute or two to making enemies deal 50% more damage.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Vanquish is finally on Steam, and I get to replay the best cover shooter all over again.

I don't think I ever used it in my last runs, but I'm really appreciating the Heavy Pistol in this game. It's a straight up magnum and can chew through most large enemy's health if you dome them.

Also, I never realized I could activate Reflex Mode while powersliding if I just start shooting.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I love the time requirement for losing your newbie status in FF XIV, it's very MMOs.txt

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kanfy posted:

I love the time requirement for losing your newbie status in FF XIV, it's very MMOs.txt

You can also just manually remove it with a command, but I forget what it was because I haven't played FFXIV in a while.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You can also just manually remove it with a command, but I forget what it was because I haven't played FFXIV in a while.

Yeah, I think it's /nastatus off. These days there's a whole system with novices/mentors/returning players which is neat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like when apocalyptic games do different things with the precursors. Most of the time it's "Science happened and the world died because of it" so it's nice to get a game with science not actually being to blame. Heavy Spoiilers for NieR: In NieR science wasn't to blame. The random dragon showing up only to get shot down was. Science did all it could to fix the plague that that event started but couldn't do anything as it was otherworldly in nature, came up with project Replicant to survive, then the replicants grew their own consciousness and the humans went nuts and turned into shades. Science did all it could but it just wasn't enough. Haven't played Automata so if that says differently don't tell me. I'm kinda hoping that Horizon: Zero Dawn will do something different and interesting as well but I'm barely into the plot of that game at all.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

That game was amazing but holy loving poo poo the main character was a goddamn moron. I don't remember how many times the very simple concept of copying was explained to him and he still didn't get it even at the very end of the game. It's not that difficult of a concept, dude!

It's cathartic when Catherine gets so fed up with his "wait, WHAT??? but you said—!!" routine that she yells at him hard enough to short herself out at the very end.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

I feel like it's a little more understandable when you consider that the Simon you specifically play as for the majority of the game (barring the post-credits sequence) has "won the coin toss" every single time his consciousness was copied over, so it's not a stretch to think that despite all the times it's been explained to him, he still makes the default assumption that he'd end up as the copy on the ark rather than the one left behind. Remember, the first time he gets copied into the pressure suit, he's shocked and angry at the fact that he has to abandon/kill the "original" Simon, so it stands to reason that given his experiences, he'd still assume that he'd be the one launched into space rather than the one left to rot under the sea.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

3 posted:

I feel like it's a little more understandable when you consider that the Simon you specifically play as for the majority of the game (barring the post-credits sequence) has "won the coin toss" every single time his consciousness was copied over, so it's not a stretch to think that despite all the times it's been explained to him, he still makes the default assumption that he'd end up as the copy on the ark rather than the one left behind. Remember, the first time he gets copied into the pressure suit, he's shocked and angry at the fact that he has to abandon/kill the "original" Simon, so it stands to reason that given his experiences, he'd still assume that he'd be the one launched into space rather than the one left to rot under the sea.

(still SOMA spoilers): Simon never wins the coin toss, IMO. It's part of the point of the game that it's only copying, not transferring a consciousness. Our perspective changes every time because it's a gameplay conceit, but when Simon goes from the diving suit to the high-pressure suit, the Simon we played as before the transfer is dead. It's just copying his consciousness, and the copy believes a transfer occurred, but it's the same thing as the cult which kill themselves after the scan.

He should have known what to expect far, far earlier. Especially given that the version which is launching the Ark is the second transfer that's occurred, and he knows that his human self lived a long life before the transfer into the diving suit occurred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

thecluckmeme posted:

(still SOMA spoilers): Simon never wins the coin toss, IMO. It's part of the point of the game that it's only copying, not transferring a consciousness. Our perspective changes every time because it's a gameplay conceit, but when Simon goes from the diving suit to the high-pressure suit, the Simon we played as before the transfer is dead. It's just copying his consciousness, and the copy believes a transfer occurred, but it's the same thing as the cult which kill themselves after the scan.

He should have known what to expect far, far earlier. Especially given that the version which is launching the Ark is the second transfer that's occurred, and he knows that his human self lived a long life before the transfer into the diving suit occurred.

That's basically what I mean though, from our perspective, we experience every "transfer" but if you really map out what's going on, we play as one singular Simon throughout the entire game (again, excepting the post-credits sequence). Because of the way the copying mechanism works, we just happen to inherit the memories of the other iterations and thus we feel like the one we're playing as has "won the coin toss" when in reality, he's just another copy of a copy. From a distance, we know that the "coin toss" analogy is flawed, but to a consciousness that has been copied multiple times, it's not a stretch to think that the assumption would simply be that they'd always be the one copied over rather than the one left behind (see also: The Prestige).

Also the Simon in the diving suit is only dead if you chose to kill him, you monster :v: