Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Last Chance posted:

i think they're talking about the java ui toolkit for macOS that apple provided for some time

yes webobjects and the ui toolkit have the same origin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

the situation is the same everywhere, to a greater or lesser extent.

not really, the only toolkits that matter for regular apps on macOS and iOS are AppKit and UIKit, respectively

people may use lots of custom controls in their apps, may write parts of their apps in JavaScript, etc. but by and large they're using those system frameworks

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there's WebKit, there's Qt, there's whatever godawful UI abstraction toolkit Adobe uses internally, maybe some crusty old applications port to osx by linking against wine although wine never works worth a poo poo so probably not.

but yeah mostly WebKit these days. Hey, maybe they'll even use the system version instead of vendoring it.

also you used to have both carbon and cocoa and then apple deprecated carbon when they went 64-bit. so if you want to make an osx ui then you had to have some objective-c poo poo in your application. macos to this day has not made any serious inroads into the desktop market, people mostly use macs to browse facebook, use adobe products, or do web development which is mostly cli based with a dash of text editing.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes webobjects and the ui toolkit have the same origin

WebObjects is where the Java bridge was first implemented, since WO was an Objective-C framework like Foundation, AppKit, and the Enterprise Objects Framework; its design was of course originally modeled on AppKit but diverged pretty quickly (that was in 1994, so the OpenStep AppKit was a lot smaller too—GNUstep seemed like a feasible project then!)

the Java bridge was significantly revised for Mac OS X 10.0 to allow access to AppKit and Foundation from Java, without rewriting AppKit and Foundation in Java, so developers who freaked out at learning a different language could still write apps, and it worked OK for that (I used it on some consulting projects)

I can't remember if the Java bridge was discontinued in Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6, but it was deprecated in 10.4 and we stopped supporting new API via the bridge at that point as well

WebObjects and EOF themselves were rewritten in Java as of WebObjects 5, released for Mac OS X 10.0, so they didn't need any additional runtime for deployment; this made it possible to deploy on Mac OS X, Solaris, Linux, AIX, Windows, whatever, though only Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows were officially supported

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Last Chance posted:

i think they're talking about the java ui toolkit for macOS that apple provided for some time

yeah for a while there was a powerful faction in apple pushing java as the future preferred language for writing cocoa applications. that's p much why they renamed the next ui kit to "cocoa", to word associate it with java. they saw crossplat as the future of everything, probably since that's how next sort-of survived the time between being forced out of building their own hardware and getting bought by apple. they wanted to be the best toolkit on the language that seemed destined to be the lingua franca of the non microsoft world. at the time the future of the mac was still very much in doubt so they needed some kind of escape hatch

next to nobody actually wrote cocoa apps in java though and some time around 10.3 or 10.4 (iirc) they abandoned the java bindings. probably around the same time they settled on objc and a cocoa fork as the basis of ios, and i bet the decisions were related

e: f, b by someone who actually knows

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 25, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

very informative all, ty

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

there's WebKit, there's Qt, there's whatever godawful UI abstraction toolkit Adobe uses internally, maybe some crusty old applications port to osx by linking against wine although wine never works worth a poo poo so probably not.

but yeah mostly WebKit these days. Hey, maybe they'll even use the system version instead of vendoring it.

also you used to have both carbon and cocoa and then apple deprecated carbon when they went 64-bit. so if you want to make an osx ui then you had to have some objective-c poo poo in your application. macos to this day has not made any serious inroads into the desktop market, people mostly use macs to browse facebook, use adobe products, or do web development which is mostly cli based with a dash of text editing.

oh yeah all those Qt and Webkit mac apps

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

posting on page 420

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

whats that thing that spotify and slack use, the chromium thing. too lazy to google it and dont care

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Last Chance posted:

whats that thing that spotify and slack use, the chromium thing. too lazy to google it and dont care

electron or nw.js

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Last Chance posted:

ur mam

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ugh, open sores

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Toady posted:

oh yeah all those Qt and Webkit mac apps

there are lots and lots of trendy new mac (and windows, and linux! look how cross-platform we are!!) apps that are just webkit in a box, in fact this describes most desktop versions of """mobile-first""" applications.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if only there was a way to deliver HTML5 applications transparently over the internet without needing to install them locally and having to bundle them with an HTML5 runtime.

and people weren't able to block our ads. this is the real reason why electron exists fyi

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

let i hug posted:

does btrfs support running on a cluster as opposed to one computer with a fuckton of drives connected to it? seems like a very pre-2000 mindset

whoops, my beowulf cluster

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

el dorito posted:

posting on page 420

the weed number

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
0 0 * * * smoke weed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

blazing like a microsoft sql server 2000 over here

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Soricidus posted:

20 16 * * * smoke weed

ftfy :cmon:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

linux is good enough for 2018 camrys, the desktop of the road

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011
I can't wait to have my car sound not work.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

can't wait for someone to recompile their car with sysv init to avoid systemd

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eschaton posted:

can't wait for someone to recompile their car with sysv init to avoid systemd

As if it's on a tech stack that new.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

James Baud posted:

As if it's on a tech stack that new.

it is

Toyota isn't the first user of Linux in cars, they're the first adopter of "automotive grade Linux," a project pushing a relatively modern and un-hosed Linux for caes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

based on tizen though, so one can presume that the plot is that if you buy a toyota you will find yourself swerving into oncoming traffic for making fun of rastermans work in the past

didn't we have some great quotes from a code review of tizen and especially the wonky enlightenment-derived egl stuff being absolutely awful recently?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

based on tizen though, so one can presume that the plot is that if you buy a toyota you will find yourself swerving into oncoming traffic for making fun of rastermans work in the past

didn't we have some great quotes from a code review of tizen and especially the egl stuff being absolutely awful recently?

and Toyota doesn't have the best record on software in cars...

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
all this chat has gotten me looking at AGL and it's really very impressive

they're using systemd very productively -- namespacing, targets for everything, etc, in order to isolate applications from one another

for security they are using Xen w/ separate DomUs for core automotive poo poo and the entertainment systems, so that 3rd party applications can never have access to unexpected things

unfortunately i can't find any documentation about actually writing applications on the thing. i hope it's not still that egl mess

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think I read something about this AGL being done for cost reasons because ofc it'd be cheaper to have just one computer instead of a whole bunch

the approach to security would then be to use some Xen variant for "securely" segregating VM's.

I can't wait for someone to rowhammer their way out of the sandbox from the entertainment system and own the entire car

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I would be very surprised if manufacturers allowed users to install and run programs of any kind on the actual automotive hardware as opposed to a communications interface like Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Imagine the kind of headaches you'd get from users who find that their favorite applications are deprecated or do not work, or if a must-have app (pokemon go) doesn't work with their car. Let the phone manufacturers deal with that crazy morass.

On a similar vein, I would be very surprised if they let you run a web browser that could view the forums.

As for actual sanctioned developers, there is the AGL spec which probably details the api and the mechanisms to talk with other components. But I can't seem to fetch it - it's giving me a 404.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

let us all remember that Tesla cars run a modified version of Ubuntu

hopefully they didn't bet on Mir!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

el dorito posted:

I would be very surprised if manufacturers allowed users to install and run programs of any kind on the actual automotive hardware as opposed to a communications interface like Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Imagine the kind of headaches you'd get from users who find that their favorite applications are deprecated or do not work, or if a must-have app (pokemon go) doesn't work with their car. Let the phone manufacturers deal with that crazy morass.

there are already cars that allow you to install and run programs. e.g. all fiat-chrysler products with u-connect
(i have no idea why one might want to install an app, but it is certainly possible)

el dorito posted:

As for actual sanctioned developers, there is the AGL spec which probably details the api and the mechanisms to talk with other components. But I can't seem to fetch it - it's giving me a 404.

i found a slide deck and it appears a lot of the communication with the, err, "automotive" parts is done over dbus

one the one hand, that's not a completely terrible idea

on the other hand, lol latency

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
xen? why not kvm i wonder, seems like that's been the current hotness for a while now

(posting on teh weed page)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

less than a month until Fedora 26, but I can't seem to find anything groudbreaking in the changes list

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/26/ChangeSet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

el dorito posted:

less than a month until Fedora 26, but I can't seem to find anything groudbreaking in the changes list

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/26/ChangeSet

good news, gstreamer video playback is now completely loving broken on hidpi displays

even better news, that's such a cool feature that they backported it to fedora 25 rofl

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 5, 2017

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sapozhnik posted:

good news, gstreamer video playback is now completely loving broken on hidpi displays

even better news, that's such a cool feature that they backported it to fedora 25 rofl

they completely broke totem's playlist support for no reason other than it didn't fit the ui paradigm

and I don't want to use rhythmbox or other crap because I want a lightweight player that doesn't need to scan my home directory all the time for new music and take up memory with databases

I want to love audacious but it doesn't support media keys so I actually have to tab over to the application to pause music

1st world problems but I was similarly angry at gnome shell and its anemic compromise, gnome classic.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

new gnome is always nice

dnf 2 fixes a bug or missing feature i had a while back that i cant remember now

fedora modular looks interesting but it 's probably a giant developer shop only feature

looks like mostly a big plumbing release though

i used clementine as a media player. it's fine but its no Foobar2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

el dorito posted:

let us all remember that Tesla cars run a modified version of Ubuntu

hopefully they didn't bet on Mir!

on mir they just used pencils