Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Boiled Water posted:

You know those people who were let go from IO Interactive? Turns out it's not a small bit of firing, but 40% of their staff.

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Discendo Vox posted:

Absolutely not.

Yeah, Absolution is a loving terrible game that just makes me embarrassed for whoever thought it was cool, do not play it.

Its seriously one of my biggest purchasing regrets in videogames and the defenses here boil down to 'its not that bad if somehow ignore the horribly bad stuff the game shoves in your face every ten seconds, it even reaches the dizzying heights of total mediocrity for a stealth game that waters down most of the stuff that makes Hitman interesting if you manage to ignore the awful, awful plot and aesthetics!'

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 26, 2017

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

khwarezm posted:

Yeah, Absolution is a loving terrible game that just makes me embarrassed for whoever thought it was cool, do not play it.

Its seriously one of my biggest purchasing regrets in videogames and the defenses here boil down to 'its not that bad if somehow ignore the horribly bad stuff the game shoves in your face every ten seconds, it even reaches the dizzying heights of total mediocrity for a stealth game that waters down most of the stuff that makes Hitman interesting if you manage to ignore the awful, awful plot and aesthetics!'

Counterpoint: it's literally 5$. Play it, if you don't like it, stop playing it. Life can be very easy.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

shut up blegum posted:

Counterpoint: it's literally 5$. Play it, if you don't like it, stop playing it. Life can be very easy.

Counter-counterpoint, its literally not worth your time, get a better game like one of the old Thief games, one of the other Hitman games or MGSV.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

quality bar of absolution: they tried to fire david bateson

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah unless something really lucky happens the only question is "how long will they keep the servers on"

Also a Hitman movie would basically just be a heist movie

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

khwarezm posted:

Counter-counterpoint, its literally not worth your time, get a better game like one of the old Thief games, one of the other Hitman games or MGSV.

Counter-counter-counterpoint: What if you already played the poo poo out of those games? Absolution exists and it's cheap even if you can't find someone to bum a key off of.

Anyway, news on the grapevine is that Squeenix is "negotiating with prospective external investors capable of ensuring that these titles carry on". It looks like an IP sale might be on the table. Certainly sounds like they'd at least be willing to license it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I enjoyed Absolution a great deal once I began pretending it was a Kane and Lynch game.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

I enjoyed Absolution a great deal once I began pretending it was a Kane and Lynch game.

God knows they showed up enough in it.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah unless something really lucky happens the only question is "how long will they keep the servers on"

Also a Hitman movie would basically just be a heist movie

I dunno, HITMAN was so well received that I think it will get picked up somewhere. If IO still has 60% of their staff, at the very least they'll probably unlock the game.

We are for sure not getting a season 2 this year or possibly ever though, which sucks.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Tumble posted:

I dunno, HITMAN was so well received that I think it will get picked up somewhere. If IO still has 60% of their staff, at the very least they'll probably unlock the game.

We are for sure not getting a season 2 this year or possibly ever though, which sucks.

It might not be up to them depending on who has the Hitman IP/responsibility and right for keeping the servers going.

Sounds like bad times over there. A colleague who recently left our place to go and work for them lost his job, pretty lovely for him. Moved countries and everything.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/hitman-may-survive-sale-of-developer-io-interactiv/1100-6450365/

This sounds they are willing to part with the IP. If not, they certainly sound like they'd be open for a licensing agreement. This does not appear to be a "sit on an IP doing nothing with it while at the same time preventing anybody from using said IP by refusing any reasonable licensing deals" situation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thebardyspoon posted:

Sounds like bad times over there. A colleague who recently left our place to go and work for them lost his job, pretty lovely for him. Moved countries and everything.

God that sucks so much, poor bastard

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

gently caress the other day I was like "Oh there must be some new hitman levels coming out soon... let me google it"

gently caress

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Tumble posted:

Hitman season 2: the anime years. Developed by cap on

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Do the Professional Mode rewards transfer over to Normal Mode once earned? I'm wondering whether I should rush through Pro before we're stuck just playing offline.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Do the Professional Mode rewards transfer over to Normal Mode once earned? I'm wondering whether I should rush through Pro before we're stuck just playing offline.

Yes. All equipment unlocks are unlocked for all modes and maps. The only unlocks you don't get between normal and pro are the starting and pickup locations.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Possible hope?

quote:

"Our decision to withdraw from the IO Interactive business was the result of a review of our portfolio that we conducted as part of our effort to concentrate our resources in order to strengthen our development capabilities," Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda explained. "Because the firm is engaged in the development of Hitman and other renowned titles, we are negotiating with prospective external investors capable of ensuring that these titles carry on."

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hope is a lie

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

double nine posted:

hope is a lie

Rebellion is built on hope.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Holy gently caress the tension.

C'mon season two, you can do it.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
It's so weird to me that Hitman season 2 was like the one game on my radar I was absolutely, definitely going to get at full price the instant it was available and it's the one game that might not get to that point.

I hope I don't kill any other good franchises by wanting to give them money...:ohdear:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Even if I get just 2 more episodes a year from now with no other content....c'mon Hitman. I can't have my second favorite stealth series die in a pauper's grave like my favorite one did.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Even if I get just 2 more episodes a year from now with no other content....c'mon Hitman. I can't have my second favorite stealth series die in a pauper's grave like my favorite one did.

I was just trying to think of what stealth series you could be talking about, and realized none of them are doing that well:

Deus Ex, Thief (at least they finished the original trilogy), Splinter Cell, Metal Gear. I heard Dishonored 2 also didn't sell as well as its predecessor, hopefully the series keeps going. Outside of Splinter Cell, which I haven't played, and Thief all of these series have had pretty solid entries too, so it seems like the genre just has a lot of trouble.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Metal Gear, but I guess I could have just as easily been talking about Deus Ex or Thief :v:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I guess we have... Styx?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Professional One Save Only thing on Colorado is going to cause some rage I can already tell. I actually cleared through SASO on it just to have that out of the way, but having four targets just creates so many opportunities for things to go wrong. Maybe I should do basic kills on the first three targets, save and then reload to get all the challenges associated with the surviving target, then rinse and repeat for the other three.

No fast way to do this, really.

Nice Van My Man posted:

I heard Dishonored 2 also didn't sell as well as its predecessor, hopefully the series keeps going.

This really disappointed me, because I thought Dishonored 2 was excellent and just assumed that everybody loved it and it was a giant hit :smith:

But I had the same thought about Hitman too :negative:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Dishonored 2 was excellent, Bethesda just gave it the same marketing as an infinitely replayable Elder Scrolls/Fallout game and then acted shocked when that didn't work.

My first go at New Game Plus with all the powers unlocked at once is some of the most fun I've had with a game in years.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also wasn't there massive problems with the PC port on release?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Here's an extremely off topic (and probably extremely stupid) question. In Situs Inversus, if you destroy the heart, couldn't they just chuck in a normal heart? But like, backwards? Or just like a normal heart transplant but connect it to the right arteries etc.? I don't know why, but I thought about this last night:confused:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

shut up blegum posted:

Here's an extremely off topic (and probably extremely stupid) question. In Situs Inversus, if you destroy the heart, couldn't they just chuck in a normal heart? But like, backwards? Or just like a normal heart transplant but connect it to the right arteries etc.? I don't know why, but I thought about this last night:confused:

IIRC you can actually give normal organs to someone with situs inversus, it's just harder to perform the surgery. Makes for a cool level though

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Some poking at the medical literature suggests that a situs inversus heart transplant has been performed a handful of times. If you're looking for a way to justify the plot, the following are also possible factors that might necessitate the use of a reversed heart:

1. Soders has one of the rarer subtypes of situs inversus that do, simply put, weird things to orientation of other organs.
2. Soders is very old and has already had one full heart transplant.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Reasons why Soders can't get another heart:

1. It makes throwing the heart in the trash slightly less cool, which wouldn't be right

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

dudes on the op table, cut open, theyre taking out his heart for a new one. if you destroy the new one, theyre not gonna be able to put the lovely old one back in or get a new one in time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The hospital director will have to offer his own heart, honour demands it.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

HORMELCHILI posted:

dudes on the op table, cut open, theyre taking out his heart for a new one. if you destroy the new one, theyre not gonna be able to put the lovely old one back in or get a new one in time

No, he's getting some pre-surgery stem cell treatment or something.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

StashAugustine posted:

Also wasn't there massive problems with the PC port on release?

Yes, for some God forsaken reason they hosed up the pc port.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mondian posted:

Nakar come back and make more fun Hokkaido contracts tia
You asked for it. Well not exactly because it's not Hokkaido, but you know what I mean.

Nonlinear Mathematics (Sapienza-PC): 1-03-2591296-02
Technically a freeform contract but with a puzzler element to it. Four targets are spread far and wide throughout Sapienza, so use all means at your disposal to take them down any which way you like. NOTE: No portable accidents were used in creating this contract or setting my own time.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
If this truly is the end of Hitman 2016, then at the very least "Toss the final bosses' extremely rare transplant heart into a garbage bin" can go down as one of the greatest final levels in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

You asked for it. Well not exactly because it's not Hokkaido, but you know what I mean.

Nonlinear Mathematics (Sapienza-PC): 1-03-2591296-02
Technically a freeform contract but with a puzzler element to it. Four targets are spread far and wide throughout Sapienza, so use all means at your disposal to take them down any which way you like. NOTE: No portable accidents were used in creating this contract or setting my own time.

No, not what I asked for, but nice. Also, not fair to shave 30sec off your time while I'm figuring out the run :argh:

At least I'm fairly certainly I know exactly what you did!