Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to break this to you, but the steam summer sale is going to be poo poo. It has been for the past few years now.

I'm going to keep an out out for Blasphemous though. Not going to back it but it looks interesting enough to set an Alerts reminder for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Skoll posted:

Sorry to break this to you, but the steam summer sale is going to be poo poo. It has been for the past few years now.

I'm going to keep an out out for Blasphemous though. Not going to back it but it looks interesting enough to set an Alerts reminder for.

I disagree! I found the past few sales to be quite good, as most of my wishlist goes on sale! I'm not expecting the 90% off deals of yesteryear, just some nice discounts on things I want - even a 50% off will help me out, and the gift trains are a fun reason to organize my wishlist, so I'm gonna have a good time. :D

If you decide you want to back Blasphemous, go for it! It's your cash, and I genuinely hope it's a good game. I just don't think the risk is worth it when 20$ represents a good chunk of my gaming budget right now.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I disagree! I found the past few sales to be quite good, as most of my wishlist goes on sale! I'm not expecting the 90% off deals of yesteryear, just some nice discounts on things I want - even a 50% off will help me out, and the gift trains are a fun reason to organize my wishlist, so I'm gonna have a good time. :D

If you decide you want to back Blasphemous, go for it! It's your cash, and I genuinely hope it's a good game. I just don't think the risk is worth it when 20$ represents a good chunk of my gaming budget right now.

No I totally feel you, the steam sales are totally subjective and I feel they've not been as good. Besides all the games I want currently are still in dev so I have no real motive to buy anything.

That being said, Blasphemous, if they can deliver on it, looks like a blast but I'm not willing to gamble a two year wait on it being good. I did that with Wasteland 3, but kinda a proven thing right there so it felt like a safer bet.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Chemcaper is out in the wild and I got my physical rewards.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I searched through the forums, but I haven't seen this mentioned, so I thought I'd point it out:

Kynseed- "Made by a couple of ex-Lionhead Fable devs, Kynseed is a quirky 2D sandbox RPG. It's an adventure of a lifetime - literally. " Looks like it's a hybrid Harvest Moon / Rune Factory / Recettear where you run a multigenerational family that can make their money through farming, adventuring, or business owning, and when your main character dies, they pass on what they've earned to the next generation. It's 100% funded and has 7 days to go, and costs £7 (apx $9 USD) a copy. There's an alpha available to try, and while the graphics and animations are very...basic, for $9 I think I'm gonna give this one a go, since it's inexpensive and I really like the concept.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
If nothing else, it'll definitely turn out better than Molyneux's Kickstarter.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Catalina posted:

There's an alpha available to try

Thanks for this, I'll give it a go this evening.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Catalina posted:

I searched through the forums, but I haven't seen this mentioned, so I thought I'd point it out:

Kynseed- "Made by a couple of ex-Lionhead Fable devs, Kynseed is a quirky 2D sandbox RPG. It's an adventure of a lifetime - literally. " Looks like it's a hybrid Harvest Moon / Rune Factory / Recettear where you run a multigenerational family that can make their money through farming, adventuring, or business owning, and when your main character dies, they pass on what they've earned to the next generation. It's 100% funded and has 7 days to go, and costs £7 (apx $9 USD) a copy. There's an alpha available to try, and while the graphics and animations are very...basic, for $9 I think I'm gonna give this one a go, since it's inexpensive and I really like the concept.

Trailer ended with a fart joke. It's the Fable devs, alright.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PERSONALISED GRAVESTONE EPITAPH

Oh yeah that ended well for PoE

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
The Gravestones were fine in poe, it was more the custom characters that were hard to ignore.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

A Catastrophe posted:

The Gravestones were fine in poe, it was more the custom characters that were hard to ignore.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the blowup about one of the tombstones being a straight up transphobic joke (and the replacement "sticking it to the SJWs" tombstone).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah.

Although actually, it looks like they've gotten around that by saying that you write a character bio, and they write the gravestone.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Catalina posted:

Something about the in-game art really rubs me the wrong way, but can't quite put my finger on it. I think they picked an art style that works better in the concepts than reduced into pixels.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 27, 2017

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

mycot posted:

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the blowup about one of the tombstones being a straight up transphobic joke (and the replacement "sticking it to the SJWs" tombstone).

Ohhh yikes, i'd forgotten about that disaster.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Catalina posted:

quote:

If you’ve played Stardew Valley and wished that poo played a bigger part in life down on the farm, Kynseed [itch.io page] might just have you covered.
hahahaha no

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Catastrophe posted:

Ohhh yikes, i'd forgotten about that disaster.

I am mostly surprised that people actually read them.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Yeah, more poop in my video games is pretty far down the list in must-have new features, but stealing poop from a dragon to (presumably) make fertilizer sounds pretty awesome, tbh.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 27, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wow, exo one got a massive jump in funding in the last 3 days (probably due to the rock paper shotgun article) and I think it's going to make it now. Just needs barely over 3000 USD

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I love exploration in games, and games about exploration, but Exo One seems kind of barren and dull. Sure, there are pretty skyboxes, but the game needs more than that. The planets seem so featureless and generic. Even the terrain itself doesn't seem all that interesting since it's so monotone. I'm just not especially interested in exploring drab, procedurally generated landscapes. It's not like this isn't my kind of game, it seems right in my wheelhouse. It just seems like a pretty bad one of those games. When No Man's Sky looks more interesting, you know you've really hosed up somewhere along the way.

The only surprise of that kickstarter is that it actually managed to assemble a substantial funding boost close to the end. I really didn't think it was going to make it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I love exploration in games, and games about exploration, but Exo One seems kind of barren and dull. Sure, there are pretty skyboxes, but the game needs more than that. The planets seem so featureless and generic. Even the terrain itself doesn't seem all that interesting since it's so monotone. I'm just not especially interested in exploring drab, procedurally generated landscapes. It's not like this isn't my kind of game, it seems right in my wheelhouse. It just seems like a pretty bad one of those games. When No Man's Sky looks more interesting, you know you've really hosed up somewhere along the way.

The only surprise of that kickstarter is that it actually managed to assemble a substantial funding boost close to the end. I really didn't think it was going to make it.

My turn to be a contrarian: I see EXO ONE as a chill out game - it's not about exploring a hand-crafted world, it's about enjoying the chill space visuals with fun movement controls while I zone out. I don't think it's drab - I think it's quite pretty, which is a matter of taste.

So - I mean, it depends on what you want out of it. I'm really happy it's gonna get funded.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

expansive landscapes are far more important to me than handcrafted detail. A game with fast, smooth movement where you cross vast distances quickly is not something where you would or should expect a world like subnautica's. If anything, simplicity in the environment is probably really important to keep it from getting in the way of your movement.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

67 hours left, it'll probably make it.

I take it it's a one-man project? 35,000 AUD does not seem like a lot.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

67 hours left, it'll probably make it.

I take it it's a one-man project? 35,000 AUD does not seem like a lot.

Yeah, it's one dude - he's the programmer and everything else except for the music and a few other things.

e: Basically we're funding a passion project.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
interesting AG racing game Antigraviator looks like it won't get it's funding. it's a shame, cuz it's a really nice looking game (default UE4 lighting aside)

Though, with so many of these types of games out now, it's sort of weird that there's another one.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Eveyone thinks they're the ones that can revive a niche genre, clearly there must be all this hidden demand, then 10 of them come out to little fanfare. Some genres are niche for a reason.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SupSuper posted:

Eveyone thinks they're the ones that can revive a niche genre, clearly there must be all this hidden demand, then 10 of them come out to little fanfare. Some genres are niche for a reason.

Phoenix Point's next stretch goal has underwater combat and cities, making it even more terror from the deep. I don't think they're gonna get the 600k they need in the next 9 days for it though. https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SupSuper posted:

Plus Redout exists

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

MikeJF posted:

Plus Redout exists

BallisticNG is a much better Wipeout, honestly, and it's free. But Redout's trying to do very different things, so it's not like there's a competition.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

EXO ONE has officially been 100% funded! :toot:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
We should change the thread's title to something like "A list of games that won't get funded". Here's another one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/350275419/the-rise-of-mooncrest-story-driven-tactical-rpg

It's a tactical RPG with a story mode. There's a demo. It looks alright, I suppose.

It's also by the guys who last time hosed their video up so bad they managed to not get any money back when you could get a suitcaseful just by saying you were making an old-school RPG.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Megazver posted:

We should change the thread's title to something like "A list of games that won't get funded". Here's another one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/350275419/the-rise-of-mooncrest-story-driven-tactical-rpg

It's a tactical RPG with a story mode. There's a demo. It looks alright, I suppose.

It's also by the guys who last time hosed their video up so bad they managed to not get any money back when you could get a suitcaseful just by saying you were making an old-school RPG.

To be fair, 80% of campaigns barely make anything. It's the free-for-all effect in action. I'm not into this kind of game but a possible explanation for why it's not doing great is that using what could be described as shirt buttons to visually represent your units is a very weird thing to do in a computer game. Now, I don't really play this genre so this might be not altogether out of the ordinary, but we're humans and humans are more likely to shell out when they see pretty pictures. They do have an artist, because characters appear on screen every once in a while, so it's a bewildering choice, really.

I think as far as Kickstarter campaigns go, if you have the person to do it, make some time and put in graphics and animation as much as humanly possible.

And if you can't get it in game, just make a mockup. I've read many a Kickstarter post-mortems on Gamasutra and a lot of them just mocked stuff up in AE. It's not deceitful, you are presenting the ideal state of the game you are envisioning. Moon Hunters did it, and the game came out and was widely acclaimed. The sexier you make the game look in your pitch the more potential funds you gather and the closer to the vision you can get. It's unimportant if the pretty pictures are already in the game or not, what's important is that you get the money to do that. It should be in the creator FAQ, imho.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Diabetes Forecast posted:

BallisticNG is a much better Wipeout, honestly, and it's free. But Redout's trying to do very different things, so it's not like there's a competition.

BallisticNG is probably equal to any of the Wipeout games, so I'm sad they're stopping development after the next update. Then yeah there's Redout which is doing a different thing, Grip which is a different thing and Riptide GP which is a different thing. Then there's Formula Fusion which just seems to be missing the mark at every turn. Really the only form of future racing game no-one's tried to take on yet is Extreme-G and even Extreme-G 2 got a rerelease on Steam.

Mr Underhill posted:

To be fair, 80% of campaigns barely make anything. It's the free-for-all effect in action. I'm not into this kind of game but a possible explanation for why it's not doing great is that using what could be described as shirt buttons to visually represent your units is a very weird thing to do in a computer game. Now, I don't really play this genre so this might be not altogether out of the ordinary, but we're humans and humans are more likely to shell out when they see pretty pictures. They do have an artist, because characters appear on screen every once in a while, so it's a bewildering choice, really.

I like the counters as a look. And that border on the map makes me think they're going less for hovering over the battlefield type strategy and more general/wargame player moving pieces around on a game board. I don't think it's a look that would lead to funding but I can at least see what they're going for.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 29, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

I think as far as Kickstarter campaigns go, if you have the person to do it, make some time and put in graphics and animation as much as humanly possible.

And if you can't get it in game, just make a mockup. I've read many a Kickstarter post-mortems on Gamasutra and a lot of them just mocked stuff up in AE. It's not deceitful, you are presenting the ideal state of the game you are envisioning. Moon Hunters did it, and the game came out and was widely acclaimed. The sexier you make the game look in your pitch the more potential funds you gather and the closer to the vision you can get. It's unimportant if the pretty pictures are already in the game or not, what's important is that you get the money to do that. It should be in the creator FAQ, imho.

As someone who enjoys tactical rpgs - to be blunt, it looks like a mobile game or a low-effort game on steam. The art is generic fantasy anime, the tiles are boardgame/mobile game tier, and literally nothing about it says innovative or interesting or whatever. Pass. (I don't even care enough to read the pitch when it just looks that unappealing.)

So the gameplay might be the best in the world, but if the packaging is bad - and I mean, forget the art, the story just screams generic Fire Emblem - then why should I care at all?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Yeah, I agree. It's not even that they're buttons, it's that they look really low-effort. Then again, stunner Wartile didn't get funded so I don't even know anymore, honestly.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mr Underhill posted:

Yeah, I agree. It's not even that they're buttons, it's that they look really low-effort. Then again, stunner Wartile didn't get funded so I don't even know anymore, honestly.

Real-time combat is such a mismatch for that aesthetic.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

njsykora posted:

BallisticNG is probably equal to any of the Wipeout games, so I'm sad they're stopping development after the next update. Then yeah there's Redout which is doing a different thing, Grip which is a different thing and Riptide GP which is a different thing. Then there's Formula Fusion which just seems to be missing the mark at every turn. Really the only form of future racing game no-one's tried to take on yet is Extreme-G and even Extreme-G 2 got a rerelease on Steam.

Uh? I haven't heard anything to that tune, and I'm in their discord and drop 5 bucks into their patreon. I think you're thinking of one of the old games the same team of folks worked on? Cuz that would be SlipstreamGX that died.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Uh? I haven't heard anything to that tune, and I'm in their discord and drop 5 bucks into their patreon. I think you're thinking of one of the old games the same team of folks worked on? Cuz that would be SlipstreamGX that died.

Ah yes I thought it said in the most recent news update on Steam it would be the last update but I inserted an "its" into it that wasn't there for some reason.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
So, a couple of friends are prepping for their campaign for an RPG narrative strategy racing game. If you feel like leaving some feedback on their draft page, it's here. Yeah that genre description confuses the heck out of me but the art style is quite unique and it's just two dudes who quit their jobs working for big studios to try and make their game.

If this is something that tickles your fancy and you do Thunderclap, theirs is here, already at 48/100.

http://i.imgur.com/0Pvc6sB.mp4

E: Edited for broken links.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 29, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr Underhill posted:

So, a couple of friends are prepping for their campaign for an RPG narrative strategy racing game. If you feel like leaving some feedback on their draft page, it's here. Yeah that genre description confuses the heck out of me but the art style is quite unique and it's just two dudes who quit their jobs working for big studios to try and make their game.

If this is something that tickles your fancy and you do Thunderclap, theirs is here, already at 48/100.

I remember this flash game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That reminds me way too much of Puzzle Agent.