Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just put a toilet in every bathroom. Maximum efficiency!

Unless you don't have multiple bathrooms, but then you probably don't have the space for a dedicated throne room anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

underage at the vape shop posted:

The only thing i hate about that bathroom is the toilet, toilets deserve their own room.

What happens if you gotta poop but someones in the shower? You're screwed. Bathroom toilets are the worst idea ever.

You hold it for ten minutes or walk to one of the other bathrooms??

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You can poop in the sink if you have a garbage disposal

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Technically, the garbage disposal is optional.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

A garbage disposal or dedication, tenacity, and a can-do attitude.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just lol if your diet allows you to controllable non-liquid poops.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baronjutter posted:

Just lol if your diet allows you to controllable non-liquid poops.

If you can't poop through a window screen, you're just not eating right.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey how about we post about home design instead of another lameass "lol if you" circlejerk? Somebody going to post wacky song lyrics next?

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Hey how about we post about home design instead of another lameass "lol if you" circlejerk? Somebody going to post wacky song lyrics next?

Can we post real estate listings? I know it's a little unfair to pick on staging furniture, but god drat on this one. I thought for a moment they were actual black and white photographs.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/4106-Linden-Ave-N-98103/unit-A/home/109660593

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drape Culture posted:

Can we post real estate listings? I know it's a little unfair to pick on staging furniture, but god drat on this one. I thought for a moment they were actual black and white photographs.

The furniture is bland, but I think I may be in love with the bathtub.

Look at it. Just look at it. It's like a stew pot for your body. No fancy jets and bubbles with impossible to clean tubes, just a big deep water cube. It's like washing your baby or cat in the kitchen sink, but for adult humans. Yes, a giant kitchen sink.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I think I've been reading too much McMansion Hell, because my brain automatically inserted an "An Art" label on that frame above the tub.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The slideshow is kind of messed up on my phone, so I may be missing something, but while I would pick different furniture, I actually like the grayscale. To me it's restful. You just have to include enough texture that it doesn't look stark or unwelcoming.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I like it in the bathrooms, but it gets depressing and monotonous when the whole house is like that. At least it'd be easy to fix by having furniture & decor that's not all black and white.

Maybe it just reminds me too much of the white & beige hell of apartment living. :v:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

The furniture is bland, but I think I may be in love with the bathtub.

Look at it. Just look at it. It's like a stew pot for your body. No fancy jets and bubbles with impossible to clean tubes, just a big deep water cube. It's like washing your baby or cat in the kitchen sink, but for adult humans. Yes, a giant kitchen sink.

I love the single Art that is attempting to break the monotony of a hospital grey bathroom. Is that a sunset? Awww. It's going to be waterlogged should you ever knock it off into the tub. It's a nice tub, deep enough to cover chest I think. But it's just not wide enough unless you are particularly petite, or just don't mind sitting cross legged the entire time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Haifisch posted:

I like it in the bathrooms, but it gets depressing and monotonous when the whole house is like that. At least it'd be easy to fix by having furniture & decor that's not all black and white.

Maybe it just reminds me too much of the white & beige hell of apartment living. :v:
Right, the grayscale is more of a background for your stuff.

And I would hate it if it were beige. I just...really like gray I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

value-brand cereal posted:

I love the single Art that is attempting to break the monotony of a hospital grey bathroom. Is that a sunset? Awww. It's going to be waterlogged should you ever knock it off into the tub. It's a nice tub, deep enough to cover chest I think. But it's just not wide enough unless you are particularly petite, or just don't mind sitting cross legged the entire time.

They need to have a picture of a sunset because they have the old fashioned style of windows that are too high to show everyone your butt. And I'm a little teapot, short and stout, so I think that tub would be a great fit. To short for some 6 foot tall man? Good, then it is just for me. :smaug:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drape Culture posted:

Yes! This is great content, do this anytime. Good design and bad design are equally welcome here

value-brand cereal posted:

Pro move is to scooch your butt down and prop your feet up on the tub ledge like Johnny Five Aces

God those gray fake-wood cabinets are going to be the avocado kitchen appliances of the 2010s

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Haifisch posted:

It's everywhere, I don't even know how they found that many grey items. Except strangely the desk and bed and I feel like they're the one item that I'm supposed to interact with to solve a puzzle.

In contrast, this house is absolutely beautiful: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/9223-45th-Ave-NE-98115/home/317789. I just wouldn't want to have to heat it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
One of my guilty pleasures is looking on interior design sites and making fun of the impractical-for-real-humans designs they tout:

I loving love bumping into countertops. Thanks, designer!

I love bumping into poo poo in the bathroom even more! Good thing they have all that extra counterspace for...nothing, apparently.

I loving LOVE DUSTING AND WIPING MILDEW OFF THINGS.

Sometimes the designs are just kind of ugly:

Too many weighty elements in one island, too many different colors and textures in such a small space.

I'm not sure what's worse, the trying-too-hard-to-be-rustic lanterns or the monstrosity surrounding the stovetop.

And there are some that just defy categorization:

I hope something's holding it up other than the chains and the drain pipe. :stare:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

spoopy toilet

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Haifisch posted:

I hope something's holding it up other than the chains and the drain pipe. :stare:

- That sink isn't going to work with an aerator filter thingy, hope they enjoy wasting water :ca:
- Good job with the oversized cheater plate on the outlet
- I assume the jars are where the multitude of required cleaning supplies go?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I love how interior decorators think that humans no longer need:

soap
toothpaste
toothbrushes
shampoo
dish towels
cleaning supplies
trash cans
clocks
computers, or at least
power cords and mice
speakers
physical media of any sort

This isn't exactly new, of course, but it frustrates me to no end when people spend enough money to buy a car on a bathroom where you can't brush your teeth or use a hair dryer. Oh, hey, cool, your $40,000 new kitchen doesn't have a space to put a trash can and there's nowhere to hang a dish towel. Also that 16 inch glass desk against the wall sure is super useful. Where do your knees go when you're using it?

I'm currently remodeling a mountain cabin in an area where "cabin chic" is predominant. I don't do cabin anything. So far a fusion of craftsman, shaker, and just plain old cheapness has worked out really, really well. I'll have pictures to post in a couple of weeks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My new kitchen has space under the counter for a fridge and freezer but not a tall one, also no plumbing for a dishwasher.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You hold it for ten minutes or walk to one of the other bathrooms??

if you got room for multiple bathrooms then why aren't the toilets seperate!!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

learnincurve posted:

My new kitchen has space under the counter for a fridge and freezer but not a tall one, also no plumbing for a dishwasher.

When we purchased this house, the kitchen had no dishwasher, no exhaust fan or rangehood, and the pantry was deeper than it was wide so you had to dig into it like a wombat hunting for food. I took great delight in having it gutted and redone.

Eta: also, they'd fixed a row of Ikea cupboards onto the wall above the stove top and counter. They were at the exact right position to hit your face on when cooking or preparing food. The whole thing was a great example of "looks nice in the realtor's photos but badly designed kitchen".

bee fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 27, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We had to persuade the builder of our house that yes, most modern people would want space and plumbing for a dishwasher, especially as he thought the three houses he built would be ideal for young families.

Also he's tall, like 6'6", my wife and I are 5'8"ish. The sink in the downstairs loo is too tall to use comfortably.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tricky Ed posted:

Also that 16 inch glass desk against the wall sure is super useful. Where do your knees go when you're using it?

A circular glass table in the kitchen is the current gently caress-you du jour of London's rental market.

bee posted:

They were at the exact right position to hit your face on when cooking or preparing food.

In a previous flat the upper cupboards were all in a long line and had a single swing-up door for the whole lot, like airplane carry-on bins but one door the full length of the worktop. Neat idea until there's two people working in the kitchen and one opens the cupboard, smashing the other person in the face.

In my new place I'm still trying to find a hob extractor that I won't crack my head on when leaning over pans at the back of the hob.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Also he's tall, like 6'6", my wife and I are 5'8"ish. The sink in the downstairs loo is too tall to use comfortably.

This isn't cool if he's building it for someone else but I get where he's coming from. I'm no giant but I'm in my 30s and no house I've ever lived in has had a sink tall enough for me to use comfortably. It's like "standard" heights got set a couple of generations ago when the average person's height was 5'7.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Currently the average height in the USA is 5'9"male, 5'4"female, so overall 5'6.5".

E: we've also got kids, even standing on a stool they really struggle to wash their hands. I'm always on the lookout for a sink that'll fit the space and be set into the counter, so about 7" lower than current.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I'm not saying everywhere should get boosted up 6" especially for a family house but I think kitchen/bathroom heights are lagging behind population changes, especially in non-family spaces like en suite bathrooms. Average male height 25-34 in the UK is 5'10. Perhaps male heights are rising faster than female heights keeping the overall average down and thus keeping build heights lower? I haven't researched it properly, as I'm sure you can tell.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Let me tell you about the most horrible women in the world.

Last house was owned by a tiny innocent looking little old lady, she had met this even older man who had cancer, while she was visiting a friend on the cancer ward (allegedly). She marries him and two years later he dies leaving her everything under UK law. She then goes to his two builder sons and tells them that she feels bad about this and is going to sell his house and split the profits between them 50/50, but she's old and frightened and would they help her do it up ready for sale. This they did willingly without charging her a penny.

This included a kitchen with cabinets so low a coffee machine would not fit under it, and an built in extractor fan which always had to be up while you were cooking on the gas rings so you did not set the kitchen on fire. Presumably this was done so she could use it comfortably for the month she had to live with it.

Then the next thing this guys son's know is that she'd sold the house at auction (to me) without telling them and then disappeared with the money.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Counter-top heights are an actual building code issue in some places. An architect teacher of mine was telling me about a situation where a dwarf wanted a custom kitchen made with like 2' counters so he could use them. It was his house that he fully owned, but the city wouldn't issue the permit, saying that the counters were too low and this was outside the range for accessibility. They actually used accessibility codes to gently caress with a little-person trying to build an accessible kitchen. The city wouldn't budge.

What they ended up doing was building the kitchen to code but having all the cabinet doors stop about 1' short of the floor, then build a sub-floor up all around. So the guy has to walk up a couple steps to get into his kitchen but at least he can use it. The cabinets will look like poo poo if the platform is ever removed so who ever buys the house will have to remodel the kitchen either way. The whole sticking to the code thing was "well what about the next person who buys the house?? I won't be accessible for them! What' if it's an old lady who can't bend down??"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Just because I don't know if there's a better thread for this (and if there's an architecture thread, please direct me there). But it's tangentially related, so.

That time when Frank Lloyd Wright and Le Corbusier debated city planning in the NYT.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

learnincurve posted:

Never will I ever again live in a place without a dishwasher, or at least enough counter space for one of those countertop dishwashers.

This is on my mind because my husband and I are fixing on moving this summer or fall depending on when we find a good place to rent.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Just because I don't know if there's a better thread for this (and if there's an architecture thread, please direct me there). But it's tangentially related, so.

That time when Frank Lloyd Wright and Le Corbusier debated city planning in the NYT.

This is like alien vs predator. Who ever wins, we lose. Those guys both had very different but equally bad ideas on urban planning and should have stuck to architecture.
Also frank's ideal interior design was "make all the ceilings 6' tall but all the room 50x50!!!"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Never will I ever again live in a place without a dishwasher, or at least enough counter space for one of those countertop dishwashers.

This is on my mind because my husband and I are fixing on moving this summer or fall depending on when we find a good place to rent.

You can also get a freestanding/"portable" dishwasher that hooks up onto the sink. It's what we're using until we get around to remodeling our lovely tiny kitchen. If I'd known it was an option back when I was renting, I'd have just gone with the cheapest place available and then thrown one of these in there to get an instant dishwasher.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Haifisch posted:

I love bumping into poo poo in the bathroom even more! Good thing they have all that extra counterspace for...nothing, apparently.

I feel like I should be using a 10' pole to check for traps in the Desolate Toilet Corridor here. Why is this such a loving huge, narrow room? Did they have some extra space and decide to stick the world's worst half-bath design in it?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like I should be using a 10' pole to check for traps in the Desolate Toilet Corridor here. Why is this such a loving huge, narrow room? Did they have some extra space and decide to stick the world's worst half-bath design in it?

The toilet is actually a mimic, that's why the seat is slightly raised.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Antivehicular posted:

Desolate Toilet Corridor

Hello new password

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

can you seriously believe that this got reported for backseat modding

tiny brontosaurus are you trying to usurp me by suggesting a thread stay on track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Was reminded of this when I came across a loft conversion photo:

Somebody at least thinks it's a good idea.