Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Real hurthling! posted:

They should have gone mid tier on deus ex and thief, put them out on pc with console ports later if they caught on. Going all in on these franchises seems foolish in hindsight, doubly so with deus ex where they couldnt even be bothered to finish the game after spending so much to plan a trilogy

Honestly don't they actually make more money off console ports? The playerbase on xbox/playstation is so far larger that most games sell well on the consoles by default. Especially during the first month, which we know is already the most important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

True but PC is slowly becoming THE platform for making GBS threads out broken console ports onto

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There is a deep and rich cultural history of lovely PC ports.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Honestly don't they actually make more money off console ports? The playerbase on xbox/playstation is so far larger that most games sell well on the consoles by default. Especially during the first month, which we know is already the most important.

My thinking is that its extra cost that leads to even more unrealistic sales expectations, especially for a series that has been known as a pc game first with questionable interest on console

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Real hurthling! posted:

My thinking is that its extra cost that leads to even more unrealistic sales expectations, especially for a series that has been known as a pc game first with questionable interest on console

Possibly, but you're also talking about a company with high sales expectations for final fantasy, and tomb Raider, which both were very successful on consoles as well.

If anything, the most dangerous thing was companies hearing about call of duty sales numbers and thinking they can chase that.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoy the title because I read it the way the CD-ROM infomercial lady does in 300MB.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I hope Sony doesn't open with an orchestra again this year, because I thought they were about to show Bloodborne 2 last year and instead we got a God of War.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Some people didn't like the orchestra because they thought it was Sony bragging about being on the top or whatever the gently caress, I thought it was pretty neat. Classy. But I'd take them bringing indie developers up on stage again over that sort of thing.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sony did have that 45 minute pre-show indie game showcase thing outside of the venue last year, where two dudes stood in front of a tv in a blue tent and watched indie game videos and sometimes the developer stopped by. I hope they do that again this year, because showing the smaller 8-bit/superweird/deep games on the main stage rarely gives them enough time to sell themselves.

The only big-stage indie game I can name right now is Unravel, and that's because of the shaking Swede presenting it with his doll.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

All i want at e3 is new game announcements

Only sony understands this

Ms packing their show with 10 topics; hardware, subscription service, the same tired games since 2014, and some new games punctuated with embarrassing executive speeches is always a dog turd feast.

Sony 2016 e3 and psx were just hype hype hype

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Only sony understands this

Ms packing their show with 10 topics; hardware, subscription service, the same tired games since 2014, and some new games punctuated with embarrassing executive speeches is always a dog turd feast.

Sony 2016 e3 and psx were just hype hype hype

How do you feel about Ubisoft at E3?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Its good comedy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I like them enough. but then again i a weird person who likes UBi games. plus the shows is funny in a cringy way.

EA, Bethesda, sony and ubi are the only shows i like.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think that's really all we want to see. More games.

Nintendo needs to show off more games for the switch.

Microsoft really needs to talk about games. It can't talk about just scorpio, sea of theives and game pass. They need to show us something new.

And Sony has a lot of stuff under work we just want to see them show off. Uncharted, the last of Us, final Fantasy, shenmue, days gone, God of War, whatever else exciting they may have under wraps.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Farcry 5 is already the best game of 2017 just because it is making gamers heads explode

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ineffiable posted:

I think that's really all we want to see. More games.

Nintendo needs to show off more games for the switch.

Microsoft really needs to talk about games. It can't talk about just scorpio, sea of theives and game pass. They need to show us something new.

And Sony has a lot of stuff under work we just want to see them show off. Uncharted, the last of Us, final Fantasy, shenmue, days gone, God of War, whatever else exciting they may have under wraps.

nah. microsoft wont do dick. they will show the scorpio and its insane price then maybe crackdown 3 and pirates.

sony will show off a ton of cool games and exclusives and say half of them are out by Christmas.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

this is all i want at any e3

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What is the general consensus among Xbox One fans on the Scorpio anyway? From the outside looking in, it seems like it's rather ill-advised to create something as reportedly as powerful as that thing while maintaining that the games coming out on it have to run on the base console too. The press like to knock the PS4 Pro but it not being far more powerful than the base PS4 works to its favor by not making the games so radically different that one is clearly better than the other. It's just visual differences. Framerate sometimes too.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Has there been any actual news on crackdown since that teaser years back

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Motto posted:

Has there been any actual news on crackdown since that teaser years back

Last week it was confirmed for crossbuy with pc but thats it. A 2015 gamescom developer open house video with over the shoulder devkit footage and recycled tech demo stuff from the 2014 announcement was all weve seen

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Hey guys

Whatever happened to Cuphead?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fargin Icehole posted:

Hey guys

Whatever happened to Cuphead?

Ms forced them to expand scope, feedback on expanded scope was bad, prompting an overhaul, now hype is dead and nobody cares unless it comes out and is a 10/10

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Ms forced them to expand scope

maybe eventually they'll learn this is a bad idea

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Remember when MS was considered to have the stronger 1st party games between them and Sony? Times sure have changed. That aside, watching gameplay of Cuphead hurts my eyes. That filter over the visuals is too much for me, despite the actual cartoon look and animations being really fantastic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jimbot posted:

Remember when MS was considered to have the stronger 1st party games between them and Sony?

When was that?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Remember when MS was considered to have the stronger 1st party games between them and Sony? Times sure have changed.

No.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

When was that?

From 07 to 10 xbox was cooler than ps but then it got really lame extremely fast and i cant think of an interesting 360 exclusive after like 2011 or so that i really like as much as the playstation output since 2010

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Real hurthling! posted:

Ms forced them to expand scope, feedback on expanded scope was bad, prompting an overhaul, now hype is dead and nobody cares unless it comes out and is a 10/10

If only I could remember some other instances where MS loving with games turned out badly..

:thunk:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe not. That was the narrative among the enthusiast press for a while. They might have just been full of poo poo.

Policenaut posted:

If only I could remember some other instances where MS loving with games turned out badly..

:thunk:

How is the PC port of the first game? Anyone try it? I downloaded it but I didn't bother playing it yet. Does online work? Is it a heaping trash fire mess of a port?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Remember when MS was considered to have the stronger 1st party games between them and Sony? Times sure have changed. That aside, watching gameplay of Cuphead hurts my eyes. That filter over the visuals is too much for me, despite the actual cartoon look and animations being really fantastic.

It was less that they had stronger 1st party games, and more that they actually had loving games. The PS3's catalog was goddamn woeful for like the first 3 years of its life

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jimbot posted:

Remember when MS was considered to have the stronger 1st party games between them and Sony?

:laffo:

What desk have you been living under?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it doesn't help that games like crackdown 3 have taken an eternity in development, while halo and gears are spinning their wheels. i'm trying to think of a Must Get tbh

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

it doesn't help that games like crackdown 3 have taken an eternity in development, while halo and gears are spinning their wheels. i'm trying to think of a Must Get tbh

Didn't Crackdown 3 not even have a developer when they announced it?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They had several developers but they kept getting absorbed into the cloud.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

at least some portion of microsoft/sony's E3 goes to games that are also available on their competitors' platform and i just assume Microsoft's keynote will have a greater % of that than Sony's

sony will show COD at their E3 because they're the "official platform" of COD. microsoft will show.. probably destiny 2, probably RDR2, probably assassins creed too

they already said halo 6 is not ready to show at E3, and a new gears game probably isnt a thing, so i dunno what they even have of their own other than Forza

Crusty Juggler
Mar 26, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

at least some portion of microsoft/sony's E3 goes to games that are also available on their competitors' platform and i just assume Microsoft's keynote will have a greater % of that than Sony's

sony will show COD at their E3 because they're the "official platform" of COD. microsoft will show.. probably destiny 2, probably RDR2, probably assassins creed too

Destiny marketing is heavily funded by Sony so good loving luck getting that at the Microsoft conference

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Destiny 2 and RDR2 have playstation exclusive stuff so don't expect them to have more than a token presence at microsofts keynote

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They had a few decent exclusives under Microsoft Studios but their first party stuff has always been nothing but Halo/Gears/Forza/the rotting corpse of Rare

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's been a long time but does Sony still have such a grasp on Destiny that Microsoft can't even legally market it on Xbox? I remember back in the day they did that perfume ad about Destiny and got in poo poo for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Policenaut posted:

It's been a long time but does Sony still have such a grasp on Destiny that Microsoft can't even legally market it on Xbox? I remember back in the day they did that perfume ad about Destiny and got in poo poo for it.

Yes they are the marketing platform and are getting exclusive content that wont be on pc or xbox

• Locked thread