Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rdb posted:

The coupon maxes out at $50. So anything over $400.

Super tempted to buy some more gear wrench stuff. But I have been blowing money fast lately and need to slow down.

:confused:

20% × n = $50

n = $50/0.2

n = $250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Larrymer posted:

Looking at buying cordless impacts for lug nuts and such and this piques my interest. I already have two 4AH Ryobi 18v batteries and chargers and their impact gets decent reviews. The question is do I opt for $120 with another battery and charger at HD or $85 for the bare tool via ebay. What would you folks do? (Don't say "buy a makita :v: ")

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Impact-Wrench-Kit-P1890/206736695

If you only have 1 full sized charger buy the kit, otherwise bare tool.

Anyone got one of the 6 point charger stations? :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've got 2 chargers and batteries. Bare tool it is. Now to see if I can find a shop vac I like...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Larrymer posted:

I've got 2 chargers and batteries. Bare tool it is. Now to see if I can find a shop vac I like...

I've owned two Shop Vac brand and both were crap. Both burned up within a year. I'd like to get another but haven't decided on a brand.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I am also interested in recommendations for a shop vac that sucks well, and filters dust.

Are there any challenges/considerations to running a 20' hose?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I did a bunch of shopvac research a while back and landed on this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-14-gal-6-0-Peak-HP-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD1450/100081216

It's awesome. They've got another one for like $40 more with better tool storage, bigger wheels and a cart handle, but the functional specs are the same so I didn't bother.

I also bought the Ridgid-brand 20' hose, which is a special-order item from Home Depot. No problems with the length.

Don't forget to add bags if you're working with fine dust like drywall. They're like $7 for two on Amazon.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have that one too and like it a lot. It's relatively quiet too—quieter than most of my normal house vacuums even.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I just built a dust collector out of a bucket and some pvc pipe. I figured attached to a cheap second hand Hoover (taking $10 Craigslist type) and I am laughing. Not for dust so much as my new planer thicknesser. Those things throw some really poo poo!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
im actually having a tough time deciding what to use this 20% coupon for...hole saw kit that i probably don't need right now or a knipex plier that i dont need right now or maybe some milwaukee or ryobi cordless tools that i certainly don't need right now

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Put a little cash aside for a rainy day, friend :shobon:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Platystemon posted:

:confused:

20% × n = $50

n = $50/0.2

n = $250

Yeah, my bad. Wasn't paying attention to what I had in my cart and was too lazy to do math.

rdb fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 25, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Astonishing Wang posted:

Put a little cash aside for a rainy day, friend :shobon:

already done!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
From our local used-poo poo-for-sale service:

(Loosely translated):
Mixed tool set for sale. The tool set is for a M113 APC gen 3 tracked vehicle. The set contains what you see in the picture. Among other things a Rahsol torque wrench, 3/4", 140-760Nm. This torque wrench alone retails for USD 2200. There's also a 3/4" Hazet ratchet and two 1/2" Hazet ratchets. Also included is a hammer, sockets, prybars + misc. Everything is quality tools. All tools are new and unused. Delivered in closed wooden crate. Contains tool bag as well. I have multiple sets - rebate if you buy more than one.

Price: USD525 incl. VAT

bolind fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 27, 2017

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

im actually having a tough time deciding what to use this 20% coupon for...hole saw kit that i probably don't need right now or a knipex plier that i dont need right now or maybe some milwaukee or ryobi cordless tools that i certainly don't need right now
I ended up getting a new Milwaukee 3/8" impact - I have the 1/2" for power, I figure this gives me speed.

That and I like matching tools. :toot:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

3/8" impacts are great, especially for removing poo poo. I use mine anywhere it'll fit.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you only have 1 full sized charger buy the kit, otherwise bare tool.

Anyone got one of the 6 point charger stations? :v:

We've got the Milwaukee 6 pack chargers at work and they're good and bad. If your a tradesman that takes a dozen batteries to site each day and uses em, then comes home and slaps them all on charge overnight they're brilliant. If your a home gamer and only have 3-4 batteries but are using all of them at once on multiple tools, they're not so good because they're sequential chargers- they'll charge one battery, then the next and so on, so if your like me and have 3-4 tools on the go at once and dont want to constantly swap batteries, your better off with two chargers cos then you can charge two batteries simultaneously.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I have an older Crapsman C3 drill/impact drill set i got for $50 years ago. Would it be worth grabbing the lithium batteries and charger, or a dedicated impact wrench/batteries combo?

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Gingerbread House Music posted:

I have an older Crapsman C3 drill/impact drill set i got for $50 years ago. Would it be worth grabbing the lithium batteries and charger, or a dedicated impact wrench/batteries combo?

I would get away from the Craftsman entirely, who knows where that system will be in a few years. There are tons of great options for lithium tool systems these days, even Ryobi is pretty decent now. If you're looking for an impact wrench I can recommend the Makita from personal experience, it's cracked off anything I've used it on. Not the cheapest system but it's a long term investment. Their impact driver is also fantastic, as are all the other 18v tools I have from them. There are usually good deals on the drill/impact driver set to get started, then look for "Buy X bare tools, get X batteries/chargers/bag free" deals to build up.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
DeWalt's latest brushless 20V 1/4" impact is awesome. It can do up to 150 ft./lbs. so it will break off most wheels, but it can also drop to a low speed that limits to 20 ft./lbs. and is good for a quick 'hand tighten' on things. Also it's really small and easy to handle.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
guys i have a problem

how many knipex pliers wrenches do i need?

or the 3 pack of 10" pliers wrench/cobra/diagonal cutters

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Buy all of them. Once you decide you have too many, send the excess to live with me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that coupon code works perfectly, can even be used on multiple items from different sellers

got a m12 circular saw and 3 knipex tools :getin:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Every time I see that $200 Ryobi 6 piece kit I get a little buyers remorse for all of the M12 and M18 stuff I've bought.

Please reassure me that I'm happier with red tools than green ones?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I got a couple of these this week

https://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/CircularSaw/

It's so good...its so real good.

Gave one to a buddy and he took down an entire deck and cut it into 6' chunks on one charge. It's not super cheap but does come with 2 - 5ah batts and a dual bay charger that would be mega money if purchased separately. I've been loving around with it this weekend but nothing serious, just cutting up some stuff for testing. The weight balance is good, i'd say the weight is placed a little further back than a mag base Skilsaw which is good for my baby wrists. Puts the 6-1/2" to shame obviously, but the smaller saw has its place.

The bag hook is nice too, big enough for a larger ladder, put it down and it protects the batteries while in use. Gonna go drop it off some roofs this weekend.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

eddiewalker posted:

Every time I see that $200 Ryobi 6 piece kit I get a little buyers remorse for all of the M12 and M18 stuff I've bought.

They're made by the same company, and i like my Ryobi tools. Especially the hot glue gun. That thing is just ridiculous.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

DJ Commie posted:

They're made by the same company, and i like my Ryobi tools. Especially the hot glue gun. That thing is just ridiculous.

I've been eyeing that, but reviews were limited. It's worth buying?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

if you already have m18 dont feel bad, almost every single m18 product is going to be better than the comparable ryobi

or just get one of these adapters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uueXVWThGM

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I doesn't know ryobi did a trim router, neat!. Still waiting for the pistol grip inflator to turn up in the UK.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

sharkytm posted:

I've been eyeing that, but reviews were limited. It's worth buying?

Its nearly as good as my old pro-level hot melt applicator. With year old batteries, its good for about 2.5+ hours. Kinda dumb for the typical 5 minute job, but if you are using it for long periods, its pretty nice. Its no 3M Quadrack, but its almost as good.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

DJ Commie posted:

Its nearly as good as my old pro-level hot melt applicator. With year old batteries, its good for about 2.5+ hours. Kinda dumb for the typical 5 minute job, but if you are using it for long periods, its pretty nice. Its no 3M Quadrack, but its almost as good.

Awesome, I'll order one then.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Can anyone explain why "combination drill taps" exist? They look so limited in application with so many downfalls.

Greenlee DTAPKIT 6-32 to 1/4-20 6-Piece Combination Drill and Tap Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041FIR1E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_28flzbXM55BB2

edit: ok fine, I guess they might be handy for electric boxes or something.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 29, 2017

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Soft materials such as sheet metal and plastics. They're not exactly a precision tool though.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Sparkies like em for putting tapped holes in enclosures.

Theyre certainly nowhere near as accurate as a drill and spiral flute tap, but if your just running in a machine screw to hold in a fuse holder, they're easier than getting a tap holder in there.

Or you can just go full sloppy mechanics and use a step drill to bore the hole and then drive a standard NPT tap into your intake maifold with a loving milwaukee tek driver....

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Ferremit posted:

Sparkies like em for putting tapped holes in enclosures.

Theyre certainly nowhere near as accurate as a drill and spiral flute tap, but if your just running in a machine screw to hold in a fuse holder, they're easier than getting a tap holder in there.

Or you can just go full sloppy mechanics and use a step drill to bore the hole and then drive a standard NPT tap into your intake maifold with a loving milwaukee tek driver....

Yeah, thin materials are where they shine, especially sheet metal and FRP/plastics. So drat convenient for electrical work.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

eddiewalker posted:

Can anyone explain why "combination drill taps" exist? They look so limited in application with so many downfalls.

Greenlee DTAPKIT 6-32 to 1/4-20 6-Piece Combination Drill and Tap Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041FIR1E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_28flzbXM55BB2

edit: ok fine, I guess they might be handy for electric boxes or something.

Ive seen drill taps in auto manufacturing where theyre tapping >10,000 holes per day on a CNC HMC. It saves them a tool change and reduces process variability. Its using a tool that prob costs $100 a pop through, not some tap kit thing.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
A few hours ago, I got a Makita strimmer, big battery pack and charger. Jesus loving Christ. It felt like I was cutting through god.

gently caress you weeds. gently caress you. Being able to use the same battery pack and charger for anything else I'll get is neat - the thread seems to like Makita tools, my dad told me he loves them, so win win. Thanks thread :)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Your post seems like a mixed message to me but I think you like it? So cutting through god is easy?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's clearly established Catholic doctrine that God has the texture of a fine Brie.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hexyflexy posted:

A few hours ago, I got a Makita strimmer, big battery pack and charger. Jesus loving Christ. It felt like I was cutting through god.

gently caress you weeds. gently caress you. Being able to use the same battery pack and charger for anything else I'll get is neat - the thread seems to like Makita tools, my dad told me he loves them, so win win. Thanks thread :)

Get a weed torch. I haven't had so much as a sprout since I singed those fuckers and cut them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Using fire to destroy weeds here in Colorado sounds like a recipe for disaster.