Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Get Gud Scrub, I know, but man it sucks to spend all round sneaking around collecting things to escape just to have Jason pop his sixteen teleports to juke his way around your car and smash it.

A lot of people are saying that it's fine because it's the "experience of being a counselor in a Jason flick". That's cool and all but I kind of feel that 80% of the fun is concentrated in the person playing Jason, which I haven't been able to do for going on fifteen rounds. Right now the constant grind of being repeatedly insta-killed is making the game wear a little thin.

If you aren't having fun dying to Jason then I recommend playing another game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

How do I heal someone else with my health spray instead of having to drop it on the ground?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Basebf555 posted:

As soon as the leveling system gets straightened out and I unlock Jason Part 2, I'm definitely gonna use him almost exclusively because he's always been the scariest Jason, plus he can run.

I was in a game with someone playing as Part 2 Jason earlier today and the person nailed it, he was loving ruthless, I was killed early but enjoyed spectating that one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Snatch Duster posted:

If you aren't having fun dying to Jason then I recommend playing another game.

We have names for games that have bad gameplay/balance and rely on fanboyism to float, we call them "lovely games".

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How do I heal someone else with my health spray instead of having to drop it on the ground?

Get them in front of you and hit the button the health spray's assigned to.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

We have names for games that have bad gameplay/balance and rely on fanboyism to float, we call them "lovely games".

Are you playing for the group experience or playing to win? Because maybe this isn't the game for you if you can only have fun by winning.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

The tribalism is strong here.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Side note: I'm sad Jason 7 has janky powers, because he is by far the best, absolutely most iconic looking Jason, imo.
Honestly, I find part 7 Jason to be a bit overdone with his zombiness.

With that said, I think it's amazing how well Jason looks in the game. It's amazing to see him coming over a hill or walk by a window. I really haven't played any rounds where I directly fight him. I'm constantly running away through windows, cabin hopping, dodging through trees, and barely catching glimpses of him.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Are you playing for the group experience or playing to win? Because maybe this isn't the game for you if you can only have fun by winning.

You could argue that the game is more fun when you are in premades and doing it together, but the same could be said of raking leaves. While it's fun to work together to put together a solution, it's not fun if that solution can be deleted instantly. In other words, what is the point of working together in a case where you cannot win?

It's just frustrating to me because there's the bones of a great game here, but I feel like it will never reach that point because it would "detract from the vision of the movies"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

popewiles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqY3kXB3YDs

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

popewiles posted:

"People who aren't me...having fun? With something I can't have fun with? There must be something wrong with them. It's the only explanation..."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's worth noting that snatch duster does this in practically every thread i've ever seen him post in in games, folks. in the vermintide thread he kept the entire goddamn thread running around on his bait for like 6 pages because he argued that they should be playing the hardest difficulty in the game using the absolute shittiest weapons available to be properly in line with the developers' vision. I ended doing an all-caps meltdown post telling people they were talking to an obvious troll to make people shut their loving mouths.

like for real, I have nothing against SD but do not take his aggressive stuff seriously, it's neither genuine nor earnest.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Holy gently caress I wanna play this game at least once before Monday.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I like the Tommy mechanic a lot. I watched the Friday movies when I was about ten, so Tommy was oddly kind of a superhero for me as a kid.

But I was thinking that as much as Roy is kind of a joke, I was thinking that it might be fun to re-spawn as him. Basically put a secondary Jason on the map. Have him function the same as a counselor character but be able to kill without getting XP losses. He can still be killed by Jason.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

it's worth noting that snatch duster does this in practically every thread i've ever seen him post in in games, folks. in the vermintide thread he kept the entire goddamn thread running around on his bait for like 6 pages because he argued that they should be playing the hardest difficulty in the game using the absolute shittiest weapons available to be properly in line with the developers' vision. I ended doing an all-caps meltdown post telling people they were talking to an obvious troll to make people shut their loving mouths.

like for real, I have nothing against SD but do not take his aggressive stuff seriously, it's neither genuine nor earnest.

Lol. I'm in here saying that if you aren't having fun dying to Jason, because you're a try hard that has to escape to have fun, then there are other games to play in this genre. I would suggest Dead by Daylight or Evolve.

How is that a troll?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like the Tommy mechanic a lot. I watched the Friday movies when I was about ten, so Tommy was oddly kind of a superhero for me as a kid.

But I was thinking that as much as Roy is kind of a joke, I was thinking that it might be fun to re-spawn as him. Basically put a secondary Jason on the map. Have him function the same as a counselor character but be able to kill without getting XP losses. He can still be killed by Jason.

No joke, I thought Jason was the good guy when watching those movies as a kid.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

This is a brilliant idea and I loving love it.

Maybe go full tilt with it- you respawn, not as Roy himself, but as whatever character you were playing dressed up like Roy's Jason. Coveralls, hosed up mask, but on your character model

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Someone suggested increasing the number of counselors by one and having Pamela as a playable killer as well.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

Someone suggested increasing the number of counselors by one and having Pamela as a playable killer as well.

Pamela was a deep stretch goal because she would play fundamentally different than Jason so they needed more money to bascially rework the killer.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Burkion posted:

This is a brilliant idea and I loving love it.

Maybe go full tilt with it- you respawn, not as Roy himself, but as whatever character you were playing dressed up like Roy's Jason. Coveralls, hosed up mask, but on your character model

This would own, if only because I have a soft spot for part 5.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Been following along with the thread and watching videos of this game all weekend. It looks amazing but I'm gonna wait for the servers to stay stable before I jump in.

Have there been any recordings of a Jason kill that wasn't letting him do it? That WORLD FIRST video was very cringy and the story a goon told in this thread was good, but I wanna see it happen.

PS #TeamBuggsy

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

beggar posted:

Been following along with the thread and watching videos of this game all weekend. It looks amazing but I'm gonna wait for the servers to stay stable before I jump in.

Have there been any recordings of a Jason kill that wasn't letting him do it? That WORLD FIRST video was very cringy and the story a goon told in this thread was good, but I wanna see it happen.

PS #TeamBuggsy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-zTuaZTfUY

Seems like the Jason has to kind of really suck to get killed

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ I saw that one live, couldn't believe he managed to get killed like that.

I can confirm that counselors can use the phone even if the power to the cabin is out, so there goes that idea.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I'm watching somebody right now that at the start of a match hid in a closet and has never left as the rocker chick. They're the last person alive and haven't left and there's nothing Jason can do to find them because they aren't scared. I really hope this doesn't become a thing

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think that the fun is in playing both sides.

I mean on one side you're Jason Slashing councilors. On the other hand you're the councilors, and it's such a cool thing if you outwit Jason and get him to give up or make him use up a crap ton of time killing you which results in one guy escaping. It's not 1 v 1 v 1 v 1 it's 1 V 7. If Jason fails to kill even one councilor it's a victory for the councilors.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I'm watching somebody right now that at the start of a match hid in a closet and has never left as the rocker chick. They're the last person alive and haven't left and there's nothing Jason can do to find them because they aren't scared. I really hope this doesn't become a thing

Thay seems like something to easily fix via patch. Say after a certain point fear increase because you have no idea what is going on.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I have noticed a trend tonight of people not talking and teamkilling. This game needs a karma system.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Couldn't you put out the lights and scare them that way? I don't think hiding places count for fear reduction in the dark, or at least they shouldn't.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

beggar posted:

PS #TeamBuggsy

Had an 8/8 counselor survived game because jason 6 spent half the game chasing me from cabin to cabin. Combat stance is essential, juke him if he's grab range and swing, he'll go down more often than not. With judicious blocking and a perk that lets me use first aid sprays twice it is a pain to both fight or catch buggsy.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'm getting that bug where I am stuck at level zero and can't use any of my CP or switch perks. Guess I'm done for tonight hope they fix this poo poo.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Burkion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-zTuaZTfUY

Seems like the Jason has to kind of really suck to get killed

This was great, thanks. I love the counselors recreating the final scene from Death Proof with Kerbal expressions on their faces the whole time

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

KildarX posted:

I think that the fun is in playing both sides.

I mean on one side you're Jason Slashing councilors. On the other hand you're the councilors, and it's such a cool thing if you outwit Jason and get him to give up or make him use up a crap ton of time killing you which results in one guy escaping. It's not 1 v 1 v 1 v 1 it's 1 V 7. If Jason fails to kill even one councilor it's a victory for the councilors.

I really don't know why there's not a shared xp bonus for each player that escapes. There's a 250 xp bonus if everyone survives, but that will rarely ever happen.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, for such a game that can be so janky at times it can have some great cinematic moments. I was watching in spectator mode as a couple was trying to get into a car away from Jason. Jason was closing in and the girl got in first. So she just drove away while Jason slashed the guy. The guy yelled out, "He's killing me" and I think but my mind might be playing tricks on me "Don't leave me" as the girl drives away. She frantically drives and hits a rock. The car stalls as she tries to start the engine and Jason comes and pulls her out. She stabs her way free and gets back in the car and successfully gets to freedom.

After that I managed to fix the phone and call the police while I could hear counselors dying in the background. I finished the call just as Jason came after me. I ran to the window and got out but got slashed. Jason was on my tail but I ran into a tent. He killed someone outside the tent, but I held my breath long enough for him to move on. I then spent five minutes half dead and frantically looking in cabins for health stuff to find nothing and ended up having to drag my half-dead corpse all the way across the map to get to the police.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Adam aka Breakfast Club guy is great because he can fight, repair, and is decent at running. His composure is maxed so he hardly ever bitches out causing your vision to shrink and go black and white.

Add the 50% damage reduction, medic training perks, and a couple pocket knives you can gently caress up Jason all day.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Well, I'm glad that I'm not just crazy. Checking my badges I've played counselor 26 times and was Jason once, while having him set as my preference. I think I'm cursed.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
This game is the best. Thank god for my 4 day weekend.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The weirdest thing about this game is I'm not seeing it being sold on any of the key sites. Is the game being sold for the same price everywhere?

It's digital only.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Ah yes, the rarely seen "rear end in a top hat" perk

Chad: The Perk

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Snatch Duster posted:

Lol. I'm in here saying that if you aren't having fun dying to Jason, because you're a try hard that has to escape to have fun, then there are other games to play in this genre. I would suggest Dead by Daylight or Evolve.

How is that a troll?

did you really expect me to fall for your dumb gimmick while you're quoting the post that explains your dumb gimmick?

go get high or something dude

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Coolguye posted:

did you really expect me to fall for your dumb gimmick while you're quoting the post that explains your dumb gimmick?

go get high or something dude

He's right, though. If you want a game where you can easily win go play Mario Kart on 50cc.

If you want to run around in a panic being chased by an unstoppable force so that on that deliberately rare occasion you win iy feels like an accomplishment, play F13.

This game owns because you can do everything right and get owned by a crafty player.

How is losing in a game such an utter insult to your sensibilities? Let your loving fragile ego go, man.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I too love games where nothing you do matters in the face of sheer RNG.

My favorite game is rolling a D6 and punching myself in the face if it comes up over 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dear video game industry,

I didn't win at everything all the time. Please correct this, moving forward, as I am literally a 4 year old playing peewee softball in the body of a lovely nerdfuck.

Yours,
Mopey bitch who knows what the acronym for RNG is

• Locked thread