Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mimir posted:

Speaking of funny - is Dai-Guard any good?

Over all I did like it, but after you get past the initial concept there really isn't enough going on to fill out 26 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The advertisement episode, the bit about Ibuki and her dad where the art style goes nuts, and the whole part where Dai-Guard gets taken away are actually all extremely good.

I think it's a real good show on the whole.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think to fully enjoy Dai-Guard you have to accept that past a point it's really becomes a show more about dealing with the red tape surrounding the proper use of a privately owned giant robot than it is about using a giant robot to kill monsters.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, the main character is not the pilot.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Back alley space boy is such a good song.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

EthanSteele posted:

Back alley space boy is such a good song.

You've mentioned it and now it's stuck in my head and will be all day, you dick. :(

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Pureauthor posted:

I think to fully enjoy Dai-Guard you have to accept that past a point it's really becomes a show more about dealing with the red tape surrounding the proper use of a privately owned giant robot than it is about using a giant robot to kill monsters.

That sounds loving radical, to be honest. Does it stream anywhere?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the unique about Dai Guard is how they change the robot. As soon as they discover the hetero's weak point, the Dai-Guard becomes entirely about that. Usually in mecha shows the main robot gets more abilities over time, I think Dai-Guard is the only one where the robot becomes more specialized.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of the unique about Dai Guard is how they change the robot. As soon as they discover the hetero's weak point, the Dai-Guard becomes entirely about that. Usually in mecha shows the main robot gets more abilities over time, I think Dai-Guard is the only one where the robot becomes more specialized.

It does get more abilities over time they're just a lot more low key than your average mecha, what with one of the important later upgrades being making it able to assemble itself rather than them having to wheel in a gantry and hoist all the bits up with cranes.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pureauthor posted:

It's very little about that. It's more about why you use giant robots to kill monsters, and how that's not sufficient to do anything meaningful. Half the show is about the crew doing medical and support ops during/in lieu of robot sorties, and going way further out of their way to avoid property damage than most robots do, while the military is all "let's just blow everything up!" without considering the consequences, followup, or admin.

The red tape is just one part of that - Akagi is a Good Guy who intuitively understands how to care for people as a pilot, but he's still poo poo at the practicals of liability and property. He's the heart in a show that deeply respects the importance of heart while still recognizing the brains and what they should both be working towards.

This is the theme of basically the entire show. See the "JDF confiscates Dai-Guard and 21st keeps working" plotline, the context of the final battle, the "why do you do it" movie episode, the entire character of the former general commander guy and the stuff he explicitly says out loud to Akagi directly, and like five more things I don't have time for that I remember just offhand. It's not subtle.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

You've mentioned it and now it's stuck in my head and will be all day, you dick. :(
Got any room on that particular bench? The song's also stuck in my head now (drat you, Guy Goodbody! :argh:).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Please tell me this means there's more, somehow.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Lemon-Lime posted:

BA-ba-ba-BAA ba-ba-BAAA ba-ba-bararararara!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The most exciting point of watching Dai-Guard for me was getting to hear that theme song over and over again.

Because its very exciting.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artum posted:

It does get more abilities over time they're just a lot more low key than your average mecha, what with one of the important later upgrades being making it able to assemble itself rather than them having to wheel in a gantry and hoist all the bits up with cranes.

Sure, but it also doesn't have hands. It's arms are replaced with a system designed specifically to target a Heterodyne weak point, and nothing else.

Caphi posted:

Please tell me this means there's more, somehow.

I dunno, it showed up on Japanese twitter and I can't read Japanese

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Sure, but it also doesn't have hands. It's arms are replaced with a system designed specifically to target a Heterodyne weak point, and nothing else.

I dunno, it showed up on Japanese twitter and I can't read Japanese

it still has hands

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess it's been too long since I've watched Dai-Guard

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I guess it's been too long since I've watched Dai-Guard
You weren't that off the mark: the first version of the Knot Punisher didn't have hands, but the upgraded version added them back on.

Dai-Guard is a fun show. I dislike the art style for the characters, but it's definitely fun.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wish someone would animate Shin Mazinger Zero :(

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

I wish someone would animate Shin Mazinger Zero :(

I'd settle for the manga getting translated at this point, really.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
If just seeing the monster do cool stuff is enough then it was in Super Robot Wars V and ate a lot of the budget! You can tell someone was really excited to be the first to present it in motion.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blaze Dragon posted:

I was really impressed with what's been subbed so far. They really go deep on the god/devil and femininity/masculinity aspects.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

More Fireball? Drossel von Flugel 3.0??

Yes, please.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd be happy with any kind of Mazinger Z really. I need more Mazinger in my life.

I've started playing SRW V though and I have a question about Cross Ange. Is it as awful as this game makes it seem?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I'd be happy with any kind of Mazinger Z really. I need more Mazinger in my life.

I've started playing SRW V though and I have a question about Cross Ange. Is it as awful as this game makes it seem?

The game actually tones down the awful of the anime.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The game actually tones down the awful of the anime.

:shepface: What was so bad about it? Because it's extremely annoying in the game and I hate that the characters will inevitably come back. I really don't want to sit through more catty murderous highschool girls with giant robots.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I kind of liked it in the game but I was largely paying attention to Ange and Salako, and the bit where Embryo is such a huge slimeball that Leonard Testarossa rethinks himself out of sheer disgust.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also the part where all the members of the female cast call Embryo out on being a creepy perverted loser.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah I couldn't handle the show, but I liked the bits in the game well enough, and by all accounts it pretty much saved it.

But I don't care because I'm too busy nuking the world and soloing maps with Sala from 18 spaces away

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What are the general feelings on Nadesico and Full Metal Panic by and by? I just replayed J and now I'm rushing through V and they both feature the two series heavily and I figure I guess I should get around to watching them? But from what friends have told me FMP especially tends to mostly focus on comedy over robot action?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nuebot posted:

What are the general feelings on Nadesico and Full Metal Panic by and by? I just replayed J and now I'm rushing through V and they both feature the two series heavily and I figure I guess I should get around to watching them? But from what friends have told me FMP especially tends to mostly focus on comedy over robot action?

A lot of people on this forum seem really down on FMP but I like it, but it should be mentioned that the third season in particular has problems and the whole story hasn't been adapted into an anime yet. I'm reading the books right now and enjoying them quite a lot. Also yeah FMP has a pretty big comedy focus, the second season in particular is purely comedy and has no robofighting, but the comedy's funny so i don't really think that's a problem.

The Nadesico tv show is really good and the movie is really bad.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So, that's how that goes down in Nadesico, huh? Gai's death is just like that? After playing J I'd kind of expected it to be somewhat similar. But no. Just shot to death in episode three what the gently caress.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So, that's how that goes down in Nadesico, huh? Gai's death is just like that? After playing J I'd kind of expected it to be somewhat similar. But no. Just shot to death in episode three what the gently caress.

It's crucial that it happens in such a lame, unimportant way.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

It's crucial that it happens in such a lame, unimportant way.

Yeah, the scene is very deliberately meant to make it feel like a pointless waste and it's very important to Akito's development and the themes of the show in general.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Much of FMP's popularity might be a time and place sort of thing, I know myself and a lot of my friends both hit anime in general pretty hard right when that first season was coming out and it was considered quite notable. How it might play to a first timer in 2017 is probably not something I can answer that well. I maintain that at the very least Fumoffu is one of the funniest anime ever made, but it quite famously doesn't even feature any of the mecha at all. My general feeling is that the Sousuke/Chidori relationship is still a pretty solid dynamic and that there are enough memorable side characters to make the work as a whole interesting enough start to finish, but I could not really talk about the mecha in a positive or negative fashion; it was just kind of there. The later arcs (which you can read in the Sigma manga) are kind of hilarious in a Metal Gear Solid ridiculous Sci-Fi sort of way, which I more or less enjoyed.

I should probably rewatch Nadesico, I always just remember this one sequence about a third of the way through that really soured me on the main heroine. I never saw the movie because no one seemed to like it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

A lot of people on this forum seem really down on FMP but I like it, but it should be mentioned that the third season in particular has problems and the whole story hasn't been adapted into an anime yet. I'm reading the books right now and enjoying them quite a lot. Also yeah FMP has a pretty big comedy focus, the second season in particular is purely comedy and has no robofighting, but the comedy's funny so i don't really think that's a problem.

There are fanlations of all the light novels for FMP floating around, if you want more than the four books Tokyopop put out.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

There are fanlations of all the light novels for FMP floating around, if you want more than the four books Tokyopop put out.

those are what i'm reading :ssh:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nate RFB posted:

I should probably rewatch Nadesico, I always just remember this one sequence about a third of the way through that really soured me on the main heroine. I never saw the movie because no one seemed to like it.

You're happier that way, believe me. No one deserves to watch Prince of Darkness.

If I was able to remove two mecha series from history, they'd be Prince of Darkness and Eureka Seven AO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Blaze Dragon posted:

You're happier that way, believe me. No one deserves to watch Prince of Darkness.

If I was able to remove two mecha series from history, they'd be Prince of Darkness and Eureka Seven AO.

AO gets to kept to live in shame because of that first fight with the Mark I and how the music was excellent.