Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Troy Queef posted:

less geography-chat, and more of Great Racing Pictures, like this one from today:

That was pretty great. Here's the gif and full video clip for those who missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P76qEiCjwD8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Was looking around to see if any F1 drivers had anything to say about Fernando at Indy. Answer: no. Lewis did tweet this during the race though

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/868917172587909120

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Troy Queef posted:

I'll be the first to say it:

WELL DONE TAKU

Can someone explain why everyone got excited about this guy's post?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

It's such a pity the engine gave up. Alonso had it in him to win it (though I'll admit it was unlikely), and top 3 I think was realistic.
It's easier to just tell yourself it simply wasn't meant to be. If Alonso's Honda hadn't Honda'ed then he'd probably have been a casualty of the incident just a lap or so later that eliminated the 3-4 cars previously ahead of him.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

making GBS threads Christ, I'm sitting here watching the podium and my 7 year old son goes..

"That man in the red, between the other guys in red, why is he not smiling like the others?"

..I don't think I've ever laughed so hard.

Time for that father-son chat about team orders :v:

ThreeFingerHoek
Feb 6, 2009

i attribute the quarrelsome nature of the middle ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed

Troy Queef posted:

less geography-chat, and more of Great Racing Pictures, like this one from today:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Brainwrong posted:

Can someone explain why everyone got excited about this guy's post?

its a tribute to taku

WELL DONE TAKU
The IndyCar Racer

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Dubs posted:

its a tribute to taku

WELL DONE TAKU
The IndyCar Racer

Ahhh. I get it!

(Not enough caffeine at time of posting)

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Hello darkness my old friend......

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Antti posted:

This was my takeaway too, what's the point of watching the first 170 laps when anyone in the top 10 can pull ahead and win right at the end? I'm sure the finish is always riveting though.

Did we have audio of the Japanese announcers yet?

The point seems to be crashes and advertising.

I think you really need to be top 5-ish in the last 40-ish laps to have a decent chance to win. (Unless something crazy happens that shakes everything up, obv.) If you're too far back, you just won't have the time to make up all those places, especially since you'll do half of the remaining laps behind a safety car.

It looked like Alonso was faster than anybody, but he was just too slow on the restarts and was too far back when it mattered.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

":downs: Why do they run 500 miles?"

":argh: WHY DID THE ENGINES BLOW UP!!!"

It's an endurance race for the formulae. 500 miles averaging over 200 mph each lap at racing speeds is a challenge for the cars. Even making all the required pit stops is a hurdle to be cleared. Even though endurance races of all stripes are becoming more like long sprints, it's still a challenge to be accomplished.

And yes WELL DONE TAKU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First Nicole and now Mercedes. It seems to me that Lewis doesnt know what to do with divas.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

harperdc posted:

":downs: Why do they run 500 miles?"

":argh: WHY DID THE ENGINES BLOW UP!!!"

It's an endurance race for the formulae. 500 miles averaging over 200 mph each lap at racing speeds is a challenge for the cars. Even making all the required pit stops is a hurdle to be cleared. Even though endurance races of all stripes are becoming more like long sprints, it's still a challenge to be accomplished.

And yes WELL DONE TAKU

Honestly, your yank racing series loving blows and you should all be ashamed of it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Honestly, your yank racing series loving blows and you should all be ashamed of it.

Nah

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

AgentJotun posted:

Watching a car being over taken while it is still under full power can be confusing we know.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

AgentJotun posted:

Didn't we just watch a race where there was not a single overtake recorded?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Caption: Four racing drivers are shown what the future holds for their careers.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's quite funny if you watched Monaco for the overtakes. We traditionally watch Monaco for the crashes and the strategy changes that result from them.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

learnincurve posted:

It's quite funny if you watched Monaco for the overtakes. We traditionally watch Monaco for the crashes and the strategy changes that result from them.

and the insane precision. Monaco is about the guys personal struggle vs the track, not vs each other.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

and the insane precision. Monaco is about the guys personal struggle vs the track, not vs each other.

Lance Stroll didn't crash so it doesn't seem like much of a struggle.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Carth Dookie posted:

No one seemed to have any trouble with the track, except when they were trying to overtake.

I can see where a Parade of expensive race cars that crash when their drivers get bored and try to pass the guy in front can have some appeal, but it's not exactly exciting Motorsport like the 500 was.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

The old Osterreichring looks pretty cool, did they chop it down for being too fast?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Yeh 50% commercials, 30% running under caution and 15% green flag running which counts for gently caress all is so much better. At least there is that 5% exciting finish where you can watch the cast off's from better racing series duke it out.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Yeh 50% commercials, 30% running under caution and 15% green flag running which counts for gently caress all is so much better. At least there is that 5% exciting finish where you can watch the cast off's from better racing series duke it out.

Lmao at being mad about a good race

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Hey atleast I learned how important it is to support our troops hoorah semper fi!!!!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Thank you to all the men and women for their sacrifice.... they died so we may live free to haul a gigantic us flag hitched to the back of a pickup truck around an oval. God bless the flag truck!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G6i2ZuM6To

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjy1kWTes78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auXfAHHNSFo

I reckon for Monaco they should switch to karts.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

stranger danger posted:

The old Osterreichring looks pretty cool, did they chop it down for being too fast?

Safety, primarily.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AgentJotun posted:

Monaco is a making GBS threads AIDS track and also it was a bad race. It happens. No need to be upset.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ferrari did a 1-2 and Lewis meltdown continues. Mónaco was a great track.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wirth1000 posted:

Thank you to all the men and women for their sacrifice.... they died so we may live free to haul a gigantic us flag hitched to the back of a pickup truck around an oval. God bless the flag truck!

Thanks

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I like how euro goons act like they don't have any dumbass traditions and ceremonies

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I like how euro goons act like they don't have any dumbass traditions and ceremonies

They have fuckin monarchies lmbo

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

OK, 1,500 new posts, I'll just check the now-common practice race highlights...

OK, standard Monaco... boring... pit stops.. pit stop overtake for the lead... HOLY poo poo a car on it's side in the barrier? WTF Jense? But lol at Ericsson hitting the wall right behind the SC... loving Waffles right into the same spot.

Did the team bring Kimi in specifically to get Seb out in front, is that why he was grumpy? I'm glad to see Ferrari putting points on Mercedes, that's fur sure. Why was Hamilton so far out of it? Looks like this would have been a good one to watch.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If the last raven leaves the Tower of London then England will fall, this is why we have the beefeaters to guard them with pikes.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

God save the Queen :britain::canada:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CratSock posted:

OK, 1,500 new posts, I'll just check the now-common practice race highlights...

OK, standard Monaco... boring... pit stops.. pit stop overtake for the lead... HOLY poo poo a car on it's side in the barrier? WTF Jense? But lol at Ericsson hitting the wall right behind the SC... loving Waffles right into the same spot.

Did the team bring Kimi in specifically to get Seb out in front, is that why he was grumpy? I'm glad to see Ferrari putting points on Mercedes, that's fur sure. Why was Hamilton so far out of it? Looks like this would have been a good one to watch.

Kimi certainly felt that way. I wouldn't be surprised, given the fact that Lewis wasn't that high in the top ten, so it'd be a great way to put a hurt on Lewis.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

Every country that isn't like, 5 years old does, in a "tourist attraction" facility almost exclusively though.
Sorry you guys thought up the idea of a country pretty recently and then systematically made it useless, I guess.

Having said that the 500 was actually a good race and I'll watch for sure next year.
Having seen a slice of US live though I will never see it that way again. When y'all be naming loving camera angles after sponsors, you've jumped the shark.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
How much would it cost to rent a plane to fly a banner message over Silverstone but instead of the traditional "Wenger Out" it'd be "Honda Out".

Anyone wanna chip in?

Stroll Out would also be acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I look forward to Stroll crashing in Canada

• Locked thread