Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Scorpio seems like it's going to come at a weird time given the growing assumption is that PS5 will hit 12 months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It seems way too early, the PS4 just came out... *checks date*

I feel so old

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I really wish the pro could handle 4k discs. drat shame that it doesnt.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

JBP posted:

Scorpio seems like it's going to come at a weird time given the growing assumption is that PS5 will hit 12 months later.

Microsoft has no idea what the gently caress they're even doing with consumer electronics devices. Witness their complete and utter failure in the smartphone category they themselves invented, the Zune, and the Xbox 360 red-ring-of-death.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I think they had some kind of Fitbit competitor too, but who even knows?

They should stick to Windows and Office and the business market because they're a completely 'uncool' company.

Witness Major Nelson.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

You can find slim bundles with a game or two in the low 200's sometimes so I feel like its way too soon to be asking for another price drop.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finished HZD with my first plat ever. Wasn't planning to go for it but got to the point of no return and thought to look up how close I was. Aside from the Hunters' Lodge trials, which I had been ignoring but wound up enjoying a lot, all I really had to do was clear up a few bandit camps and corrupted zones, and follow a video for the training dummies. Weird thing is the very last thing I had to do was go kill a Charger -- I'd somehow managed to never do that. Pretty easy plat for a large game, I'd recommend trying if you're not totally burned out by the end. Very satisfying, fantastic game.

Next up: I think GTA5? Finally saw it half-off for a physical copy this week I think at Target after it'd been holding a pretty high price forever. Would rather jump on something not insanely huge like Nier or Yakuza but nobody appears to have them much of a discount at the moment. Might gently caress around with some PS+ free games I skipped first.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Finished HZD with my first plat ever. Wasn't planning to go for it but got to the point of no return and thought to look up how close I was. Aside from the Hunters' Lodge trials, which I had been ignoring but wound up enjoying a lot, all I really had to do was clear up a few bandit camps and corrupted zones, and follow a video for the training dummies. Weird thing is the very last thing I had to do was go kill a Charger -- I'd somehow managed to never do that. Pretty easy plat for a large game, I'd recommend trying if you're not totally burned out by the end. Very satisfying, fantastic game.

Next up: I think GTA5? Finally saw it half-off for a physical copy this week I think at Target after it'd been holding a pretty high price forever. Would rather jump on something not insanely huge like Nier or Yakuza but nobody appears to have them much of a discount at the moment. Might gently caress around with some PS+ free games I skipped first.

Horizon is a ridiculously easy platinum, and even getting the 100.00% completion in the game stats isn't that hard (you don't even need all the datapoints). I'm slowly working on collecting the world datapoints because those are all I have left to do.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

JBP posted:

Is that really the assumption? Based on what?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Megasabin posted:

Console lifetime expectations that were last true for the Gamecube, PSX, N64, and Dreamcast.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Megasabin posted:

http://www.pcmag.com/news/353413/sony-to-release-playstation-5-next-year

mostly pure speculation from a guy who was right about the slim and the pro (though the slim was a given so predicting that was not impressive in the least. pro wasn't exactly a huge surprise either)

PlayStation releases have been 6-7 years apart, historically, which would put the PS5 at 2019 if that kept up. But the existence of the Pro could throw that whole schedule into chaos, among other things.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 30, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Even if the PS5 is 18 months away from Scorpio (which feels like it is starting to become a really long gap between new Sony consoles) that is still a pretty short amount of time that could see people waiting on PS5 if Scorpio is as expensive as people are predicting.

It's obviously all speculation, but it's fairly grounded and the assumptions right now are pretty reasonable. Then again we haven't seen the .5 type iterations of consoles before unless you think back to something like mega cd.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I skipped the entire PS3 generation, so the PS4 was an instant launch buy for me. If the PS5 is really in a year, I think I would probably hold off until it had a significant number of good exclusives

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i cant wait to buy a scorpio and all the sick exclusives it will surely bring

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
So basically FF7 remake episode 1 and then the PS5 comes out before future episodes are released, kind of a waste of an exclusivity deal just to sell more PS4's right before a new console is released, probably would piss off that customer base too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I skipped the entire PS3 generation, so the PS4 was an instant launch buy for me. If the PS5 is really in a year, I think I would probably hold off until it had a significant number of good exclusives

There is so much exclusive content on the PS4 right now and I imagine there will be way more as it starts to reach that end of life gaming zenith that I will for the first time ever not buy the console on launch. With the amount of free time I get right now, I probably have at least 12 months worth of games to play through as it stands.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really really hope we are done with traditional console generations and that the pro marks consoles getting updated more like phones do. I don't want to have to abandon another generation of games or pile another system on. There no reason for that anymore.

I'm sure will be seeing a ps5 sooner than later but gently caress all the non BC crap

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I've decided the PS4 Pro and Switch are my last consoles I purchase for myself as I reduce my gaming time drastically. Any future consoles will be for my kids when they get older.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I do not understand fuckin mahjong. I should be able to steal to go out. But I didn't have the option for Ron, and now I'm just hosed, since I have a complete hand and instead of going out, I have to discard part of it.

I also do not understand the scoring at all.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Snak posted:

I do not understand fuckin mahjong. I should be able to steal to go out. But I didn't have the option for Ron, and now I'm just hosed, since I have a complete hand and instead of going out, I have to discard part of it.

You might have been in furiten, you can'r ron off a tile you have previously discarded. Also mahjong scoring is nuts and its best to just let the computer tally it and just go for as many of the best yakus you can

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Snak posted:

Yeah when a friend tried to teach me to play mahjong he was like "oh its a really easy game once you learn all the rules" with apparently no sense of irony.

edit: similarly to another friend who told me that Chinese is really easy to learn once you learn it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 30, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it seems really similar to rummy. I just don't understand what determines how many points you lose when someone else goes out.

Edit:

homeless snail posted:

You might have been in furiten, you can'r ron off a tile you have previously discarded. Also mahjong scoring is nuts and its best to just let the computer tally it and just go for as many of the best yakus you can

Thanks, that makes sense.

Edit: jesus christ. I ronned out with a totally pathetic hand netting me only 1400 points, and then on the next round, I got ronned for a 18k point hand, which is a 36k point swing. Hoky gently caress. I am now in last by 17k points.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 30, 2017

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Im thinking that rather than go through iterations of ps4, ps4, ps5, that the switch to a more pc like structure in architecture from the ps4/pro leads to just a simplistic Playstation brand.

If they keep on updating hardware like phones, there's no reason why say in two more upgrade cycles you can still play games released today.

In doing that too, the bill of materials should be able to be kept down and keep prices down for hardware.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah when a friend tried to teach me to play mahjong he was like "oh its a really easy game once you learn all the rules" with apparently no sense of irony.
I mean there are like a half dozen rules in riichi, it is a pretty easy game to pick up. You are mostly just trying to draw/discard tiles to a standard hand of 4 melds and a pair and also riichi adds a couple of poker hands. Its just that scoring is needlessly convoluted and requires you to either consult or memorize a bunch of charts and do a bunch of math, but as long as one person at the table knows how to do that you're cool (or just play computer mahjong and let it do scoring for you)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

veni veni veni posted:

I really really hope we are done with traditional console generations and that the pro marks consoles getting updated more like phones do.
I think you're crazy if you think the market can sustain phone-like upgrade timelines.

Like I'm not spending $399 only to have a PS VR mini-addon available in a year for another $299. Plus, there's no way that Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo are ever shying away from Virtual Console emulated backwards comp. You'll probably be able to play Gears on the Xbox Prime in 2023, or buy the 4K remastered version, but I really doubt they'll go through the trouble to have the disc do anything more than authenticate a DLC version of the game.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Puddin posted:

Im thinking that rather than go through iterations of ps4, ps4, ps5, that the switch to a more pc like structure in architecture from the ps4/pro leads to just a simplistic Playstation brand.

If they keep on updating hardware like phones, there's no reason why say in two more upgrade cycles you can still play games released today.

In doing that too, the bill of materials should be able to be kept down and keep prices down for hardware.

I know I'm not the first person to ask this, but doesn't this model risk fragmenting and confusing the consumer? Parents, for example, already have a hard enough time knowing what they are supposed to buy and why. Now it could be, "So will this Playstation handle God of War 9 Ultra or just God of War 9?" I advised a couple of friends I know last Christmas, and just the division of original PS4, PS4 Slim, and PS4 Pro was a bit much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I think you're crazy if you think the market can sustain phone-like upgrade timelines.

Like I'm not spending $399 only to have a PS VR mini-addon available in a year for another $299. Plus, there's no way that Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo are ever shying away from Virtual Console emulated backwards comp. You'll probably be able to play Gears on the Xbox Prime in 2023, or buy the 4K remastered version, but I really doubt they'll go through the trouble to have the disc do anything more than authenticate a DLC version of the game.

I don't think it would be every year. The pro took like 3.5 years to come out. The beauty of the phone system is that you don't need to buy every drat upgrade. Just wait until the right time for you comes along and get the newest one.

More than anything I just want to see non BC be a thing of the past. Consoles are the only things that just make you ditch your whole last gens library to upgrade. If PC and phones can handle it I don't get why a console can't. Why does everything have to be emulated?

Aren't consoles much closer to a PC hardware wise these days anyways?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

It seems awfully optimistic to think that the upgrade landscape would be more likely to resemble iOS (where phones four years old are still supported) rather than Android (where you might get two years of updates if you're lucky).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

D1E posted:

Microsoft has no idea what the gently caress they're even doing with consumer electronics devices. Witness their complete and utter failure in the Zune.

What are you talking about? Everyone has these things now, they hold like 300 songs. :confused:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Finally got around to playing, and beating, Wolfenstein:TNO.

Pretty hyped for the sequel now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Pro is why I think it feels way too soon for a PS5 to be released next year. Would PS4 Pros be able to play PS5 games? If not, that would just alienate a huge swath of customers. If a PS4 Pro needs to be able to play PS5 games, wouldn't that limit the hardware upgrade benefit

Edit: Also where would that put PSVR

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 30, 2017

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Still dead like it is now

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
They're not going to announce a PS5 right now are you guys crazy. The PS4 has a huge user base, there is absolutely no reason to limit your software sales potential at this point.

The Scorpio could be specced to hell and back and cost $299 but if Microsoft continues their current strategy of 'no games' it won't matter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Pro is why I think it feels way too soon for a PS5 to be released next year. Would PS4 Pros be able to play PS5 games? If not, that would just alienate a huge swath of customers. If a PS4 Pro needs to be able to play PS5 games, wouldn't that limit the hardware upgrade benefit

mid console cycle upgrades have been a thing forever. I'd be surprised if the ps5 was next year but not because of the pro

it'd be pretty hilarious for ms to debut the scorpio into the ps5 announcement tho

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Midjack posted:

It seems awfully optimistic to think that the upgrade landscape would be more likely to resemble iOS (where phones four years old are still supported) rather than Android (where you might get two years of updates if you're lucky).

I guess I'm just being optimistic, didn't really take into consideration that under that model newer games could run bad not the same as using generation old processors and gpus.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a racing games megathread?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Bring back the Sega Tower, except it is now the PS4 tower. Marvel as you plug in add-on upon add-on all with their own oversized novelty adaptors that take up so much space you can't fit more than 2 in the same electric sockets.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah exactly. Releasing PS5 any time in the near future would alienate the hell out of the people that blow the most money on PS crap. The whole purpose of the pro seems to make it so the PS4 isn't totally dated when the usual cycle is up and it's time to announce the new system. It would be completely idiotic for Sony to release a PS5 anywhere short of 3 years from now for a number of reasons.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Eh, to maintain supremacy? First gen xbox whomped Sony's rear end hard and even though Playstation has won the last generation and this, if somehow Microsoft doesn't bungle a new console fickle rear end gamers will run to the newest prettiest games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

revolther posted:

Eh, to maintain supremacy? First gen xbox whomped Sony's rear end hard and even though Playstation has won the last generation and this, if somehow Microsoft doesn't bungle a new console fickle rear end gamers will run to the newest prettiest games.

You mean the first Xbox? Because lmao.