Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Counting down to her guest spot on the new Star Trek... :neckbeard:

Fuller was one of the first to abandon that sinking ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Sickening posted:

I mean, the op did go out of his way to tell you book readers to take your book discussions to a book part of the forum but you fuckers are simply going to refuse to do it aren't you?

Literally never picked up the book in my life

e: the thing black barred earlier was something Fuller has said outside the show

Gum fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 30, 2017

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

precision posted:

Media should definitely have her own spinoff

But...like...what if all of television is her spinoff? :aaaaa: :350:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

.Z. posted:

I wonder if we will get Media being Agent Scully Mulder for that bit.

FTFY :colbert:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
In case anyone was keeping track, we got another glimpse of penis this week. It was on a corpse in the morgue, but still counts and can be added to the tally

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Since everyone is complaining about each other's posting I figured I'd bring you the worst read of American Gods humanly possible.

So he thinks if it was written as someone other than a straight white guy the new gods would be the conservative boogeymen?

Does he think the new gods are supposed to be the good guys???

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

hangedman1984 posted:

If she gets an Emmy for this performance the whole thing becomes so meta it might just disappear up its own rear end

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Basically the Student Union got superpowers.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Taintrunner posted:

Since everyone is complaining about each other's posting I figured I'd bring you the worst read of American Gods humanly possible.

Mostly I've just seen people saying the series is dead to them because of the CGI Native Americans in the opening

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Henchman of Santa posted:

So he thinks if it was written as someone other than a straight white guy the new gods would be the conservative boogeymen?

Does he think the new gods are supposed to be the good guys???

Pretty sure that was written by a teenage girl, based on the Mary Sue added in at the end.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Mostly I've just seen people saying the series is dead to them because of the CGI Native Americans in the opening

Why? that deserves an Emmy on it's own.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Rocksicles posted:

It didn't use Native American actors and was "mildly but distinctly racist"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Their outrage just feeds the new god of social injustice

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

Nah, that CGI was pretty bad. First origin story where I was just kinda meh about it.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

hangedman1984 posted:

Next American Gods episode she'd drat well better appear as an autistic boy with a snowglobe.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Fuller should have done it Wonderfalls style;

Coming to America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaxvQQIF4KQ

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Why was that scene all weird CGI Avatar-looking people anyway? Was it supposed to be about early Americans, or was it supposed to be about supernatural beings? I legit don't know.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Why was that scene all weird CGI Avatar-looking people anyway? Was it supposed to be about early Americans, or was it supposed to be about supernatural beings? I legit don't know.

People that came from Asia to America through the "Bering Passage" rather than the Strait nowadays, but, as par the course, since the writing of the book, there are new American settlement hypotheses going on

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hangedman1984 posted:

Doesn't that sound swell?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I'm genuinely curious as to how, on today's Internet, a portrayal of an imagined pre-historical people could avoid the "racist" accusation. I'm also curious if the people making the accusation are the slightest bit self-aware of how absurd it is.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Funny I thought those fellas we're native Siberians.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Pretty sure that was written by a teenage girl, based on the Mary Sue added in at the end.

Well I for one am shocked, shocked that a teenager on the internet has missed the point.

Although it is actually pretty interesting to think about the fact that while Technical Kid is a 4chan dudebro, he's also tumblr and like, every youtube personality out there. Which means he really can say "I can't be racist, I have loads of black worshippers!" or whathaveyou. Okay, now I really want to see Fuller do a Technical Kid-centred episode just to see how the show would deal with the-internet-as-a-temple. Obviously not this series since there's like 3 episodes left and too much ground to cover, but sometime during the show's run would be amazing.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Like every 13 year old on XboxLive, TechBoy is perfectly happy to shout the n-word through his headset, but balks when faced with an actual black man.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Their outrage just feeds the new god of social injustice

Guest spot for Lena Dunham? I'm betting this will be a real character at some point...

Edit: fuckshit! Only three more? So brutal.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crow Jane posted:

In case anyone was keeping track, we got another glimpse of penis this week. It was on a corpse in the morgue, but still counts and can be added to the tally whacker watch.

Fixed that for you.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Tech: I have a gun, in my room, you give me five seconds I'll get it. I'll come back down here BOOM I'll blow their brains out.
World: Technology, you just don't get it do ya?

Taintrunner posted:

My new New God is Music who looks like if Amy Lee from Evanescence and Dan from Imagine Dragons had a baby, but the baby is sort of a punk rock chick

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

precision posted:

poo poo, now I want to see Gillian Anderson dressed as Anderson Cooper or Alex Jones.

This world needs her to loudly accuse a god of turning the frogs gay

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zaphod42 posted:

He was pretty drat thrown off by Dead Wife, comeon

Yeah I think at the moment he saw her anger at her for cheating on him overrode any sort of surprise she was alive.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

vermin posted:

Tech: I have a gun, in my room, you give me five seconds I'll get it. I'll come back down here BOOM I'll blow their brains out.
World: Technology, you just don't get it do ya?

My new New God is Music who looks like if Amy Lee from Evanescence and Dan from Imagine Dragons had a baby, but the baby is sort of a punk rock chick

:lol:

Fandom would be a very creepy annoying god obsessed with whatever new thing it sees, to be honest. The sacrifices would be bad written homoerotic fanfics of shadow moon.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
A thread notorious for being bad at watching TV is mad that someone is bad at watching TV.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ZorajitZorajit posted:

A thread notorious for being bad at watching TV is mad that someone is bad at watching TV.

It's the circle of a TV thread life.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

New people come to America over the Bering Strait with their mammoth god.

After suffering much hardship they eventually are forced to ditch the mammoth god for the indian's buffalo god and the guy who didn't want to change allegiance gets owned.

The whole point was how in the universe of American Gods, the gods aren't invincible and depend on followers to stay alive.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Funny I thought those fellas we're native Siberians.

I thought they were elves

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

etalian posted:

After suffering much hardship they eventually are forced to ditch the mammoth god for the indian's buffalo god and the guy who didn't want to change allegiance gets owned.

The whole point was how in the universe of American Gods, the gods aren't invincible and depend on followers to stay alive.

The gods obviously depend on the people for prayers and sacrifices to give them power.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

One very humanizing thing about Nunnyunnini in this segment was that it knew it would die, but allowed itself to be lost and forgotten in order to ensure that its followers survived. The gods are not all leeching assholes.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

"Nunyunnini, what is the meaning of life?"
"Nunyuh business."

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

vermin posted:

"Nunyunnini, what is the meaning of life?"
"Nunyuh business."

This is the best post and you should feel ashamed :colbert: :3:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

COOL CORN posted:

I think it was to come off as a storybook fable/parable about how gods are forgotten

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It great how the concept of the show matches its content. The gods, old and new, are all about style over substance, and this show is at least 90% style with a tiny bit of substance to make it able to be a tv show.

God, i love everything about it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

One very humanizing thing about Nunnyunnini in this segment was that it knew it would die, but allowed itself to be lost and forgotten in order to ensure that its followers survived. The gods are not all leeching assholes.

Was the shaman/priestess Nunnyunnini's sacrifice to the other god? something like "I give you this very important person in exchange of you protecting and feeding my followers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Desperado Bones posted:

Was the shaman/priestess Nunnyunnini's sacrifice to the other god? something like "I give you this very important person in exchange of you protecting and feeding my followers".

More or less. Maybe Nunnyunnini and the Buffalo had a pre-arrangement to sacrifice her. Or maybe Nunnyunnini and the Buffalo didn't talk, but Nunnyunnini just knew that if the shaman cold-called and offered herself as a sacrifice, the Buffalo would take in her followers. Who knows.