Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Because conceptually those characters are fine and they deserve their fans, and whether their gameplay was implemented well or not, they have their place in a celebration of what Sonic is all about, especially if their existence is just cosmetic and doesn't affect the story, gameplay, or anything else.

I feel like I could argue "dark twisted sonic with a gun" is an idea flawed at its very inception but sonic adventure 2 came out when I was like 13 so I still have a soft spot for all those dumb characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

this game is on preorder on steam at 10% discount. if i play a lot of megadrive sonic 123&k in my childhood, should I buy it, thread?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

this game is on preorder on steam at 10% discount. if i play a lot of megadrive sonic 123&k in my childhood, should I buy it, thread?

you can't even design your own character in this one, HARD PASS

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Calaveron posted:

Oh yes I will not be sated until I can play as Bark the Polar Bear or Charmy the Bee or Mighty the Bean or any of the garbo birds in Sonic R instead of Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower or Knuckles the Echidna

I don't care about them as characters, I care about them (Chaotix specifically) as "alternate movesets that already have a sprite sheet that could be recycled as-is".

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Saddest Rhino posted:

There's no benefit to doing it now over doing it the day before release when we'll probably have heard how it is.

But, yes, do it, give Sega money.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Calaveron posted:

Oh yes I will not be sated until I can play as Bark the Polar Bear or Charmy the Bee or Mighty the Bean or any of the garbo birds in Sonic R instead of Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower or Knuckles the Echidna

I can't believe you'd lower yourself to playing as Sonic's terrible friends, Tails and Knuckles.

edit: SMDH

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 31, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't believe you'd lower yourself to playing as Sonic's terrible friends, Tails and Knuckles.

It's basically playing as Krillin and Piccolo and that's always cool

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zelder posted:

I feel like I could argue "dark twisted sonic with a gun" is an idea flawed at its very inception but sonic adventure 2 came out when I was like 13 so I still have a soft spot for all those dumb characters

Considering everyone's favorite perception of Sonic is 90's "bad attitude", I can't help but people are a bit too exacting on Vegeta the Hedgehog.

also "Sonic with metal armor and claws and BLOOD RED EYES" was everyone's favorite character back in the 90's so "black hedgehog with hoverboots" doesn't seem too far off from that.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Considering everyone's favorite perception of Sonic is 90's "bad attitude", I can't help but people are a bit too exacting on Vegeta the Hedgehog.

also "Sonic with metal armor and claws and BLOOD RED EYES" was everyone's favorite character back in the 90's so "black hedgehog with hoverboots" doesn't seem too far off from that.

I think you and I like very different things about sonic

Also I loving hated metal sonic he destroyed me over and over again in sonic 2 yes I'm aware that's technically silver sonic shut up

Edit: I also feel like "90s raditude" and "I'm cursed to walk the earth forever after the only woman I ever loved died" are 2 pretty different things

Zelder fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 31, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man.

There are way too many names for that dumb thing.

also:

quote:

Edit: I also feel like "90s raditude" and "I'm cursed to walk the earth forever after the only woman I ever loved died" are 2 pretty different things

Dude, think what you want about Shadow himself, but Maria is like 12.

An important friend dying isn't always a love interest.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

There are 14 different iterations of robotic Sonics, and only one robotic tails. Focus up Robotnik

Edit: metal knuckles and mecha knuckles are two different robots!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man.

There are way too many names for that dumb thing.

also:

Dude, think what you want about Shadow himself, but Maria is like 12.

An important friend dying isn't always a love interest.

I didn't say romantic love!

Though I always thought Maria was older. The whole Gerald Robotnik and Maria Robotnik subplot is super hazy in my mind

Zelder fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 31, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zelder posted:

They're similar in that they both appealed to 12-year-olds.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'm super conflicted because on one hand i cannot make my original the hedgehog, on the other hand when i was a kid i am super sure i had a sonic the hedgehog cake for a birthday and everyone had no idea what the blue mouse is

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zelder posted:

There are 14 different iterations of robotic Sonics, and only one robotic tails. Focus up Robotnik

Metal Sonic
Mecha Sonic (Sonic 2)
Silver Sonic (Sonic 2 Master System)
Mecha Sonic (Sonic 3 & Knuckles)
Mecha Sonic (Sonic Adventure)
Mecha Sonic Model no. 29 (Sonic the Fighters)
"Titan Metal Sonic" (Knuckles Chaotix)
Virtual Hedgehog (Sonic Colors)
Sonic-bot (Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice)
Mecha Sonic (Sonic roboticized, Archie)
Silver Sonic (Archie)
Metal Sonic 3.0 (Sonic Rivals)
Captain Metal (Archie)
Pseudo Sonic (Archie/AOSTH)
Badnik Sonic (Sonic the Comic)

wow. there are exactly fourteen unique robot Sonic designs throughout the franchise, not counting uses of the same design in adaptations like the Archie version of Metal and the one from the OVA. That's a good guess.

EDIT - wait, Metallix from StC kicks it up to 15.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik is a loving hack!!

Also drat I was really close

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Calaveron posted:

This but unironically.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

elf help book posted:

There's no benefit to doing it now over doing it the day before release when we'll probably have heard how it is.

But, yes, do it, give Sega money.

They should put it up at 15% discount and then have it continuously decrease slightly every day until it's 0% at launch.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

10 year old me knew that Tails and Knuckles were inherently superior because they could do everything Sonic could do, plus fly.

I can't dispute the logic there, so it's my policy to this day.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I was watching the world record all-good-future Sonic CD speedrun and it seems like there is a lot of room for improvement in it. Any Sonic CD badasses in this thread up to the challenge?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

So I was watching the world record all-good-future Sonic CD speedrun and it seems like there is a lot of room for improvement in it. Any Sonic CD badasses in this thread up to the challenge?

If this is the world record then the sega cd version is jacked up...my run of the PC version is way faster and I know its not a WR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0v49VaEeA

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

If this is the world record then the sega cd version is jacked up...my run of the PC version is way faster and I know its not a WR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0v49VaEeA

Hmmm maybe I am misreading this page somehow? If not, you should submit your run and see what they say!

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Caidin posted:

10 year old me knew that Tails and Knuckles were inherently superior because they could do everything Sonic could do, plus fly.

The real shame is that Tails and Knuckles are easy mode. Your 10 year old self was in no way a hardcore gamer.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is anyone going to tell beep that Knuckles probably can't punch?

Also: Shadow is just so fantastic. I mean I hated SA2 and I'm never going to play his game, but if you're going to go loving stupid, you might as well go whole hog.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Knuckles has ever-so-slightly-harder boss fights.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

Hmmm maybe I am misreading this page somehow? If not, you should submit your run and see what they say!

I was just looking at the page for Sonic CD 2011 and the best time is like 16 minutes. http://www.speedrun.com/Sonic_CD_2011#Sonic_All_Good_Futures

I guess there are either a ton of differences or maybe no one runs this category on the Sega CD version. I'm going to watch the best run here and see what's going on.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I know the 2011 remake runs at a solid 60 fps, I don't know if that's the case for the original Sega CD & PC releases. That could make a huge difference.

EDIT: Oh poo poo it's also possibly a matter of the loading times for the time warps.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Also the warp just activates faster in the 2011 version which probably adds a lot more flexibility to the routing

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

nerdbot posted:

I know the 2011 remake runs at a solid 60 fps, I don't know if that's the case for the original Sega CD & PC releases. That could make a huge difference.

EDIT: Oh poo poo it's also possibly a matter of the loading times for the time warps.

Nah, IGT or in game time is used to time these runs. This run of the 2011 version is just plain impressive and the route is much faster than mine is right now. I'm inspired to improve my own time now! I think I might make an exception for one thing in the route as I'm really proud of this method that I came up with for returning to the present in MMZ2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0v49VaEeA&t=1623s

Definitely going to work towards getting a sub 20 right now at least.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Knuckles has ever-so-slightly-harder boss fights.

It turns out that all Robotnik Eggman needed to do to beat Sonic was to hover just four or so pixels higher.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Gotta find some Sonic nerds and call them autistic on the internet.

There it is. There's that good poo poo.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Caidin posted:

They can't do that kickass instant shield from S3&K, which IMO makes their modes much harder. That shield is so incredibly useful.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

Gotta find some Sonic nerds and call them autistic on the internet.

There it is. There's that good poo poo.

You're a loving bad rear end hitting all sorts of original and not at all played out and monstrous levels of originality.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think that was sarcasm, Razorsaw.

VikingofRock posted:

They can't do that kickass instant shield from S3&K, which IMO makes their modes much harder. That shield is so incredibly useful.
Once you get good at the shield it's amazing how much you miss it playing the others. The reach and ability to penetrate otherwise invulnerable enemies is so good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Schwarzwald posted:

It turns out that all Robotnik Eggman needed to do to beat Sonic was to hover just four or so pixels higher.

It's not just that, a lot of the bosses have modified patterns when playing as Knuckles.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah I was making fun of the guy last page. Still late and in poor taste though, my bad.

Stay fast, y'all.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm glad that the 123KM elevator buttons part of the trailer confirmed something I've been suspecting for a long time: Sonic Mania is the true sequel to Sonic Kolors.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why is CD not on the elevator, this game is CD as heck.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't wait until people start looping the trailer music, which I expect will be in about two hours or so. There's nothing about this trailer that isn't magical.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Metal Sonic
Mecha Sonic (Sonic 2)
Silver Sonic (Sonic 2 Master System)
Mecha Sonic (Sonic 3 & Knuckles)
Mecha Sonic (Sonic Adventure)
Mecha Sonic Model no. 29 (Sonic the Fighters)
"Titan Metal Sonic" (Knuckles Chaotix)
Virtual Hedgehog (Sonic Colors)
Sonic-bot (Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice)
Mecha Sonic (Sonic roboticized, Archie)
Silver Sonic (Archie)
Metal Sonic 3.0 (Sonic Rivals)
Captain Metal (Archie)
Pseudo Sonic (Archie/AOSTH)
Badnik Sonic (Sonic the Comic)

wow. there are exactly fourteen unique robot Sonic designs throughout the franchise, not counting uses of the same design in adaptations like the Archie version of Metal and the one from the OVA. That's a good guess.

EDIT - wait, Metallix from StC kicks it up to 15.

What about Metal Overlord from Sonic Heroes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Kikas posted:

What about Metal Overlord from Sonic Heroes?

They're counting specifically different robot Sonic entities I think, rather than different designs.

Archie it gets a little blurry since it's implied Eggman has been cranking out Metal Sonics like they're chump change there. In the current continuity he's even already been through two different Tails Dolls. That said I think Mecha Sonic no. 29 is just normal Metal Sonic with some jets attached anyway. There's a lot of loving Metal Sonics though.