Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think the coffee theory is silly at all. Food has power in Twin Peaks, so much so that I've made the case in the past that Norma's is the "white lodge" from a literary if not literal standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I would like to think the coffee snapped him back into lucidity, but it didn't really seem like it. Maybe now he's on his way there, though.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

*chews a wad of spruce gum defiantly in the corner booth*

*spits it out and almost knocks over the mustard bottle, sticks it to the wall*

*takes out a new piece and chews on it, and stares defiantly, waiting*

:horse:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Coop's recovery is going to be an ongoing process, but I'd be surprised if the coffee isn't the catalyst that starts it.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

wizard on a water slide posted:

I don't think the coffee theory is silly at all. Food has power in Twin Peaks, so much so that I've made the case in the past that Norma's is the "white lodge" from a literary if not literal standpoint.

I've never thought of that way but it makes complete sense.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
It follows old mythic traditions as well, where ingesting food or drink in the underworld will strand you there. Thus Cooper passed a test when he didn't drink the coffee in the Red Room, and drinking Dougie's coffee symbolically ties him back to our world.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
I'm kind of interested that Evil Cooper starts out on top of things with setting up Hastings and Dougie but does obviously a loving horrible job appearing remotely normal to Cole and Albert. I get the impression that there's internal tension between Cooper the host as intelligent and perceptive mask of sanity and BOB the psychotic id parasite.

I also wondered if the voice Evil Cooper gets when he's trying to call Jeffries is some sort of former host of BOB who actually wants him back, like maybe the sinister New York/Las Vegas billionaire, but god knows at this point. I'm enjoying Lynch destroying the expected rhythms of television far too much to get hung up on the mythos.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

GimpChimp posted:

I'm kind of interested that Evil Cooper starts out on top of things with setting up Hastings and Dougie but does obviously a loving horrible job appearing remotely normal to Cole and Albert. I get the impression that there's internal tension between Cooper the host as intelligent and perceptive mask of sanity and BOB the psychotic id parasite.

I also wondered if the voice Evil Cooper gets when he's trying to call Jeffries is some sort of former host of BOB who actually wants him back, like maybe the sinister New York/Las Vegas billionaire, but god knows at this point. I'm enjoying Lynch destroying the expected rhythms of television far too much to get hung up on the mythos.

It's also important that Evil Coop gets away with things because he shows he's evil. He uses intimidation, fear, and blackmail, among other things. That's not going to work on Gordon and Albert. At all.

Also, is Denise worried that Gordon is going to try and gently caress the female FBI agent? Because that's what I thought that whole conversation was: "She's young and pretty Gordon, you have a reputation. What are you doing trying to bring her along?"

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

GimpChimp posted:

I get also the impression that bob is somewhat afraid of people who know who or what he is. His primary motivation seems to be to avoid going back the black lodge so anyone who has knowledge of the lodge are a threat to him. Hence why he may have killed major Briggs (unconfirmed) a person who had the most complete knowledge regarding the black and white lodges. Furthermore bob knows via possessions of Leland and Cooper that the FBI has been on his tail for some time (blue rose cases). Albert in particular has at least some functional understanding of what bob could be.

Bob at this point is a super criminal that is being chased down by both corporeal and supernatural law men.

G-III fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 30, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like the depiction of the black lodge in this show. The black lodge is clearly supposed to be a kind of hell (with the red drapes as symbolic flames, they even move like flames when the inhabitants get pissed), but it's a local, particular kind of hell tied to a specific place and its history.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

GimpChimp posted:

Seems like he did just about everything he could to attract attention. I've got a sneaking suspicion that bad Coop got caught on purpose.

Franchescanado posted:

Also, is Denise worried that Gordon is going to try and gently caress the female FBI agent? Because that's what I thought that whole conversation was: "She's young and pretty Gordon, you have a reputation. What are you doing trying to bring her along?"

Yeah, that's the impression I got, too. Maybe that was a reference to him making out with Shelly?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

Seems like he did just about everything he could to attract attention. I've got a sneaking suspicion that bad Coop got caught on purpose.

Yeah, that's the impression I got, too. Maybe that was a reference to him making out with Shelly?

I hope it's true, because it's a weird self-referential thing for Gordon to love young girls when David Lynch married his current wife when she was only 26. (She's 34 now.)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shibawanko posted:

I like the depiction of the black lodge in this show. The black lodge is clearly supposed to be a kind of hell (with the red drapes as symbolic flames, they even move like flames when the inhabitants get pissed), but it's a local, particular kind of hell tied to a specific place and its history.

the red room isn't the black lodge. the red room is like purgatory. as far as i can remember the black or white lodges have not yet been explicitly shown

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm really curious as to where the whole blind girl area fit.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

boner confessor posted:

the red room isn't the black lodge. the red room is like purgatory. as far as i can remember the black or white lodges have not yet been explicitly shown

I think the Red Room may well be both. In Lynch's worldview you can't take the good without the bad, they're married to one another. There's also the matter of the floor - white and black zigzags.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

wizard on a water slide posted:

Also, even if it doesn't have a basis in fact there's a strong cultural trope of favourite foods or drinks bringing comatose people round.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
According to Fourth Lynch Law, the more you people desperately demand Cooper's revival, the less likely it's going to even happen.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I think the Red Room may well be both. In Lynch's worldview you can't take the good without the bad, they're married to one another. There's also the matter of the floor - white and black zigzags.

Yeah exactly. This theme also comes up early on when Donna tells her mom that of course she's sad Laura is dead, but she's also happy because it made her realize she was in love.

Went Cooper went into the red room he failed to realize this, and that's why he was lost. He focused on the horror of that world and ran from it, rather than confronting it.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Rewatching episode 3, specifically going over the whole beginning sequence. This part stuck out to me on the second go.

https://gfycat.com/InfamousCrazyDevilfish

"Turn around, walk through both sets of doors, the second one sticks sometimes,"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've finally watched everything from the original TV show to the revival, the movie, Missing Pieces, and just for the hell of it the Log Lady intros for the episodes. Outside of reading the books, I believe I'm caught up.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Man, I really love that scene in the jail between Cole, Albert and Bad Coop. Coop's voice, the repetition of dialogue, the sound design, the creepy smile/thumbs up. Even after watching it twice, I didn't notice that he says, "It's yrev very good to see you again, old friend" until seeing it pointed out elsewhere even though it seems so obvious when you're looking for it.

Really need to start paying more attention to the sound in general going forward. Lynch is obviously putting significant effort into it and the Giant/????? does tell Coop to "listen to the sounds" in the first scene of this season.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like that's going to turn out to be why there's so little incidental music. Music would just distract from the soundscape.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

grilldos posted:

According to Fourth Lynch Law, the more you people desperately demand Cooper's revival, the less likely it's going to even happen.

I've got the feeling that we aren't going to see agent cooper as his old self for a long while, and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't snap back completly until Bob is killed/banished back to the black lodge. I'm thinking a good chunk of the new season will be hawk and new sheriff helping battle Bob to save cooper, with other people helping or hindering along the way. The weaker Bob becomes maybe the more good coop starts to recover. I could see cooper's condition as a way of Lynch saying that time takes its toll on everyone and you can't always go back to how things were before or something along those lines.

Then again I could be completely wrong and maybe the primary reason he's all Mr jackpots upped is a side effect of traveling through the different dimensions and it will wear off gradually the more he's back in the real world with the help of that drat good coffee and pie. I certainly hope it's the latter since it could be pretty brutal watching good coop be so hobbled for a bunch of episodes. It actually sounds really exhausting come to think of it.

All that said I just finished watching the original and fwwm so I'm far from any kind of expert and probably have zero idea of what I'm actually talking about. I hope we get more Balthazar Getty though that would make me happy.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
It was a lot of fun watching various people teach Agent Cooper how to Dougie.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I forgot to ask this earlier, but have any of you seen a series of videos called Journey Through Twin Peaks? What did you think of it?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've finally watched everything from the original TV show to the revival, the movie, Missing Pieces, and just for the hell of it the Log Lady intros for the episodes. Outside of reading the books, I believe I'm caught up.

Uhhh what about the Japanese coffee commercials

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

nopants posted:

Shadow Cooper was presented as its own entity in the black lodge. there were also shadow versions of leeland, laura, and the man from another place. it hasnt been made clear whether evil cooper is shadow cooper or some hybrid of shadow cooper and bob
I thought the neuron was the angel Mike said he met, and Mike was existing inside the one armed man (for obvious reasons) and Bob was inside Cooper (now a doppelganger)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

boner confessor posted:

I'm a little confused by this though, when bad Cooper gets pulled into the black lodge, you see the red drapes, and the red drapes room is often talked about as if it's the black lodge. Is it ever made clear that it's not the black lodge, or that the "waiting room" is really different from the black lodge? I don't remember that it's ever explicitly said on the show.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

I'm a little confused by this though, when bad Cooper gets pulled into the black lodge, you see the red drapes, and the red drapes room is often talked about as if it's the black lodge. Is it ever made clear that it's not the black lodge, or that the "waiting room" is really different from the black lodge? I don't remember that it's ever explicitly said on the show.

Windom Earle seems to talk about the lodges differently than how the red room is depicted, but then again what does he know.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Lord Krangdar posted:

Windom Earle seems to talk about the lodges differently than how the red room is depicted, but then again what does he know.

Fuckall because he can't avoid breaking what seems like a pretty major rule. (No hunting in the Lodge.)

Counteresperanto
Jun 15, 2007

Achievement is its' own reward. Pride obscures it.
Windom Earle was able to learn a lot about the nature of, and how to enter, the Black Lodge. He may have even become a demon, spirit, or whatever name you wish to give to a denizen of the Black Lodge. However, he misunderstood his knowledge to also be about how to behave once inside, which is probably almost impossible to be deduced from the outside. So it's no surprise that he hosed up almost immediately.

The rules are a bit more intricate than being the biggest rear end in a top hat you can imagine. Earle wasn't prepared for that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shibawanko posted:

imo the black lodge is when the strobe lights are going off and people are screaming in the red room. like it's all the same wherever dimension (and easier to depict on a depleted budget) and are displayed as the same physical space but the atmosphere of the room determines if it's the white or black lodge. in the finale cooper was given coffee, which turned into oil, and then after failing this test he went to the black lodge and was possessed by bob. so the red room is just what's going on when neither lodge is manifesting itself

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Finally got to watch Part 3 and 4. Did I misunderstand something or was Dougie gone two days before Cooper took his place? Because that's enormously scummy.

Lasagna
Jun 20, 2001
Don't know if anyone has brought this up, but I find some aspects of what happens in the black lodge interesting

First of all, I think we can assume Cooper is still inhabited by BOB , but the way the "possession" works probably depends on the host. While Leland Palmer was almost unaware of what happened while BOB was in control, the mix between Copper and BOB seems more "sentient". Basically the evil that BOB does is somewhat focused on becoming a crimelord rather than a simple killer/rapist.
What this new season's black lodge seems to imply is that for everyone of us there's a potential doppelganger in the black lodge, a dark version of ourselves that can be possesed by dark spirits in the lodge and switch places between our reality and the lodge itself. Also, when someone dies in our reality , his black lodge version does not, in fact we see both Laura and Leland in the first episodes. Leland seems afraid of what's going on with Laura, and I suspect that dark Laura may have a role in the future (vengeance against BOB maybe?) The scene where she talks to Cooper and then screams and gets sucked away may mean that she can travel dimesnsions too? maybe she's the monster in the glass box?.

evil Cooper/BOB obviously knows the inner workings of the black lodge , and he knows that after 25 years , during the next planet alignment or whatever, the gateway opens and he has to go back and switch places again with good Cooper. So he spent part of these 25 years to try to avoid this, by forcing good Cooper to exit the lodge via an alternative way and force him into Dougie, whom he probably chose and prepared beforehand, and setting up his murder (by the snipers), cause he knows that both Cooopers can't exist in a sigle reality/dimension. The glass box (as we see Cooper float in it) may be another possible entry into our dimension and maybe there's evil Cooper/BOB too behind the whole project.

What confuses me is why the tree(arm evolution) also has an evil doppelganger that apparently is allied to BOB and prevents good Cooper to go back thru the main gate.

So far anyway I really like it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the tree doppelganger is just michael j anderson's facebook page

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

el oso posted:

Man, I really love that scene in the jail between Cole, Albert and Bad Coop. Coop's voice, the repetition of dialogue, the sound design, the creepy smile/thumbs up. Even after watching it twice, I didn't notice that he says, "It's yrev very good to see you again, old friend" until seeing it pointed out elsewhere even though it seems so obvious when you're looking for it.

This is loving crazy and seems like it HAS to be important... There's actually a video of it and the demonstration of it is just.... even creepier because that whole loving scene feels SO creepy and wrong in what wonderfully Lynchian way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3I0fc9TYO8

I actually thought that Evil-Cooper was saying "Really very good to see you again old friend!"

drat. I'm thinking the ultimate result of Mr. C/EvilCooper's deception might be that the Black Lodge starts leaking, which is kinda frankly what it seems to be starting to do for lack of a better word, between the NYC murders and the toxic effects of both Mr. C and his garmonbizia/oil vomit.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think that video could have made its point a little clearer, not everyone might get it

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think that video could have made its point a little clearer, not everyone might get it

You take what you can get. It was the first one I found and I just wanted to post a video with the line being said forwards and backwards so people could at least hear it for themselves.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

drat fine covfefe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
goes well with the white house garmonbozia