Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

White Coke
May 29, 2015

A big flaming stink posted:

Ok so now the Dragon Break is also canon in k6bd. what part of the elder scrolls will abbadon rip off next? hopefully all of it

I can't wait until the artificial god with skin made out of dwarves shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

White Coke posted:

I can't wait until the artificial god with skin made out of dwarves shows up.

I got back into skyrim recently and I was reading up on the lore, and I got the feeling that the guy who did all the deep Elder Scrolls stuff was really inspired by Glorantha

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Reene posted:

Well, that's spooky as poo poo. I didn't see the eye behind the bars until my second read through. :gonk:

What? I'm sure I wouldn't miss something like th:stare:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ya know what sounds like a good idea? Opening the box. Yeah, I like that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

a kitten posted:

That eyeball is real good and it will not show up in the print release at all.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
of course the smarmy prick has his clock wound to stop ticking at a dramatic moment.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Phy posted:

I got back into skyrim recently and I was reading up on the lore, and I got the feeling that the guy who did all the deep Elder Scrolls stuff was really inspired by Glorantha

I think I read somewhere that that's literally true.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

President Ark posted:

i swear i can see loss in the pattern of the grating on Himself's box
I was thinking this was the sort of scene where subtle animation would be appropriate. like how some webcomics have gifs in their panels

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

a kitten posted:

It might be that my eyesight is terrible, but I seriously can't find any eyeballs.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Poltergrift posted:

It might be that my eyesight is terrible, but I seriously can't find any eyeballs.

do you have an lcd screen? try tilting it

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

AriadneThread posted:

AFTER FOLLOWING YOUR ADVICE

I HAVE SOME REGRETS

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

AFTER FOLLOWING YOUR ADVICE

I HAVE SOME REGRETS

regret?
that's no way to reach royalty, friend

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

fcuk

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
hosed up that it turns out Himself is actually Joseph Joestar

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Still nothing. Disabled f.lux, too, and zilch. Is it in the final panel? Am I missing something obvious?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Poltergrift posted:

Still nothing. Disabled f.lux, too, and zilch. Is it in the final panel? Am I missing something obvious?

Only the giant eyes behind the bars.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Guess I'll just get a Chrome thing to invert page colors and --

Jesus Christ, okay

Himself seems

Big

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I love how the bottom left speech bubble weaves in and out of the bars

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

if anyone else still can't see it: http://imgur.com/ND1eM8a

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Phy posted:

That makes no sense, there's hardly any cows

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not very into the glorantha mythos, but the elder scrolls are like weaponized god-smithing, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm not very into the glorantha mythos, but the elder scrolls are like weaponized god-smithing, right?

It's hard to define and inconsistent, but Elder Scrolls generally define what history was. As in the events they state are reality. The can be in flux and poo poo can get weird sometimes.

They're often linked to events in that universe called Dragon Breaks, which is when time gets all hosed up in a weird way and things get nonlinear. Like, for example, we found out in later games that all six mutually exclusive and contradictory endings of Elder Scrolls II happened simultaneously and the universe just eventually had to adapt a medium. When Cyrodil went from being described as a Jungle in the early games to verdant fields in TESIV, that supposedly wasn't a simple retcon, it was because of a Dragon Break. Except that a Dragon Break is kinda literally a retcon sometimes.

The Elder Scrolls universe leans heavily on the idea that the world is like a story being told by gods or highly enlightened people (people who've achieved CHIM), and Dragon Breaks happen when multiple people tell contradictory stories at once. The Elder Scrolls themselves are records of the stories in pure form.

Your character in The Elder Scrolls games attains CHIM through the power of quicksave and quickload.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 31, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
:lol:, nice save there, Cio.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Your character in The Elder Scrolls games attains CHIM through the power of quicksave and quickload.

Reach Heaven Through Savescum?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

theorychat: he's omnipresent, hence imprisonment being a "formality."

true omnipresence doesn't care about piffling things like space. of course he knows what you're thinking. he's in your head too.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Getting a bit of a "Darkseid is" vibe.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Phy posted:

Ken Rolston outright wrote Runequest modules for Chaosium. Hell, he's an author on the upcoming edition of Runequest.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shakenbaker posted:

Getting a bit of a "Darkseid is" vibe.

lol If you think of comics before the Bible

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

paragon1 posted:

Man, I want an office like this some day. :allears:

Dude is in a coffin/cell thing with chains wrapped around it and all sorts of glowing blue poo poo stuck in, the gently caress is he gonna do with drawers?

He would have some imp come out, open drawer #3, and hold the papers in front of his grille. Then he'd spit on them, it'd burn in his signature, and the imp would put them in drawer #8.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

First panel shows the closest to a full crown Alison has gotten to date. No pink highlights either.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

lol If you think of comics before the Bible

To many people, comics are more likely to be relevant in the course of their daily lives.

For anyone that cares to know, the actual reference is to Exodus 3:14. Exodus 3 isn't particularly lengthy, and the context may be relevant, so here it is in its entirety:

Exodus posted:

Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father in law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the backside of the desert, and came to the mountain of God, even to Horeb.
And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.
And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.
And when the Lord saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.
And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.
Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.
And the Lord said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;
And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites.
Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel is come unto me: and I have also seen the oppression wherewith the Egyptians oppress them.
Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt.
And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?
And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain.
And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.
And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt:
And I have said, I will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt unto the land of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, unto a land flowing with milk and honey.
And they shall hearken to thy voice: and thou shalt come, thou and the elders of Israel, unto the king of Egypt, and ye shall say unto him, The Lord God of the Hebrews hath met with us: and now let us go, we beseech thee, three days' journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to the Lord our God.
And I am sure that the king of Egypt will not let you go, no, not by a mighty hand.
And I will stretch out my hand, and smite Egypt with all my wonders which I will do in the midst thereof: and after that he will let you go.
And I will give this people favour in the sight of the Egyptians: and it shall come to pass, that, when ye go, ye shall not go empty.
But every woman shall borrow of her neighbour, and of her that sojourneth in her house, jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment: and ye shall put them upon your sons, and upon your daughters; and ye shall spoil the Egyptians.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

World Famous W posted:

Ya know what sounds like a good idea? Opening the box. Yeah, I like that.

Same. She should at least peer in real close & deeply.

Reene posted:

true omnipresence doesn't care about piffling things like space. of course he knows what you're thinking. he's in your head too.

Works. I mean, I'm not sold as omnipresence also including omniscience though. It's very obviously next level cunning, of course.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Also the bible is, imo, metal as gently caress.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

idonotlikepeas posted:

To many people, comics are more likely to be relevant in the course of their daily lives.

Well that's an unintentional :iceburn: on this whole board.

Clevin.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well that's an unintentional :iceburn: on this whole board.

Clevin.

hey bravest I got a huge kick out of reading your takedown of rothfuss (and you also pointed me to Lud-in-the-Mist which is super rad) so I was wondering if you could do a brief breakdown of why the setting in k6bd is so good.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Reene posted:

More likely he knows and experiences everything that lesser devils know and experience, and may not be meaningfully distinguishable from them. Masked devils, although appearing to be distinct entities, are merely innumerable heads of the hydra that is the hot black flame. (Lesser devils may not even be aware of this fact, believing themselves to be conscious and free willed; freeing His consciousness from his last name made Himself aware of it.) Hence he imprisons Himself, and his imprisonment is merely a formality. Also why His permission is needed to take lesser devils on a robbery with serious ramifications.

Himself has only definitively stated knowledge of Cio's mind; Allison's thought process was pretty easy to guess just by loking at her face.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 11, 2017

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

hey bravest I got a huge kick out of reading your takedown of rothfuss (and you also pointed me to Lud-in-the-Mist which is super rad) so I was wondering if you could do a brief breakdown of why the setting in k6bd is so good.

I'd unironically enjoy this tbh

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

It's really not? Not that it's bad or anything, just that a milieu is only as good as it's presented, and it's just a storytelling device anyway. K6BD's setting is decent because it's used well as a vehicle for all sorts of neat action and visual concepts, even when it's overburdened with exposition or reads too much like a RPG sourcebook.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 31, 2017

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Himself uses almost the exact same words to define himself that YHWH does in the Bible. Furthermore, in fiction, just about everyone who uses similar phrasing considers themself to be a god. The only reasonable course for Allison to take is to follow the advice of Meti and the Buddha.

Kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Himself uses almost the exact same words to define himself that YHWH does in the Bible. Furthermore, in fiction, just about everyone who uses similar phrasing considers themself to be a god. The only reasonable course for Allison to take is to follow the advice of Meti and the Buddha.

Kill him.

Untrue. Since he is eternally locked in a dread iron casket, you are unlikely to meet Himself on the road.