Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

Frankie is second best to Aldo. Aldo pretty much outclasses him everywhere, except maybe he moves fewer miles in a fight than Frankie does.

I think it's funny that Chad$ was considered #2 for so long and then gets back to back murdered by Conor, Frankie, and an acne cream.

1) Frankie may have better offensive wrestling, who knows since Aldo has never had to really use it.

2) Chad was legit the #2 guy in the division until Conor and Frankie proved he wasn't. He may still be the 3rd best guy in the weightclass.

e;f Did I just fall for the Chad was always bad? Remember when Renan finally lost and people were like seeeee he was never the legit champ, all the while forgetting that for several years nobody could beat him. Nobody is invincible. One day sooner than you think there will be 10 featherweights who can beat Aldo, it doesn't mean Aldo wasn't the best at his time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Holloway is going to beat Aldo because MMA is a sport where weird poo poo happens constantly and it will

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Also because Holloway is insanely good.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

tesilential posted:

1) Frankie may have better offensive wrestling, who knows since Aldo has never had to really use it.

2) Chad was legit the #2 guy in the division until Conor and Frankie proved he wasn't. He may still be the 3rd best guy in the weightclass.

e;f Did I just fall for the Chad was always bad? Remember when Renan finally lost and people were like seeeee he was never the legit champ, all the while forgetting that for several years nobody could beat him. Nobody is invincible. One day sooner than you think there will be 10 featherweights who can beat Aldo, it doesn't mean Aldo wasn't the best at his time.

Naw, Chad wasn't bad, but he was flawed and his 2nd run for the title includes a ton of dud fights including against Cody McKenzie and Darren Elkins (due to injury replacements, so not his fault, but still).

His 2nd Aldo fight was great, but you could see where he was trying really hard to implement Ludwig's movement and gameplan and could only maintain it for about 2 minutes at the start of every round, then he'd be back to being planted on his lead leg and trading shots in close.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
GSP defends his HGH gut to Ariel

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

Naw, Chad wasn't bad, but he was flawed and his 2nd run for the title includes a ton of dud fights including against Cody McKenzie and Darren Elkins (due to injury replacements, so not his fault, but still).

His 2nd Aldo fight was great, but you could see where he was trying really hard to implement Ludwig's movement and gameplan and could only maintain it for about 2 minutes at the start of every round, then he'd be back to being planted on his lead leg and trading shots in close.

Chad definitely has flaws, but I still think he was legit the second best FW until Frankie dropped down. These days I'd pick Holloway over him as well. And yeah I'd expect number two to have 2 min of success (or less) per round against number one.

Hell Urijah Faber is an all-time great lighter weight fighter and he has like Clay Guida level stand up.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i agree with everyone aldos great and he shut frankie down but max is a little more of a stand up threat than frankie. frankies good dont get me wrong but max has some reach and power

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

Jon Jones is the most talented.

Aldo is the most aesthetically pleasing.

Anderson was the greatest.

GSP was the best.

I dont really know what this means but aldo isnt as good as anderson or gsp. hes more like bj penn

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The only thing Aldo has in common with BJ Penn is they both beat frankie edgar twice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I thought this was going to be super evasive, but it's just classic GSP "aww shucks" charm.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Marching Powder posted:

i still heavily rate edgar p4p. he's a bantamweight. a guy who wouldn't have to fight half as hard to get to 135 than aldo would to get to 145. what he's accomplished is pretty much staggering.

put jose and conor at ww and mm to fw and edgar looks crazy impressive.

Aldo's like 5'7 he's not a gigantic featherweight.

LobsterMobster posted:

Frankie is allegedly 5'6 with a 68" wingspan and 37" leg length

Holloway is 5'11, 69" wingspan and 42" leg

Aldo is 5'7, 70" wingspan and 40" leg

drat Holloway with a height 2" above his wingspan, t rex lookin motherfucker

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

There's this guy, Conor. He used to be a UFC fighter. He fought Aldo. Maybe you heard about him/it

Wise Learned Man posted:

To be fair, didn't Conor tear his ACL in the first round of that one?

This never made sense to me, even though I know conor was out for a long time afterwards and had surgery. He injured his knee, so he wrestled, which is really hard on the knees even when they're not injured.

Also, isn't tearing a ligament basically a crippling amount of pain?

Bundt Cake posted:

I dont really know what this means but aldo isnt as good as anderson or gsp. hes more like bj penn

Aldo's knees still work.

DeimosRising posted:

It's sort of like Gus, where, since he's so tall, people assume he has a giant reach.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Wise Learned Man posted:

To be fair, didn't Conor tear his ACL in the first round of that one?

cant remember what round but max broke his foot or something in round one

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Aldo's exactly like GSP right down to getting embarrassingly kod in the first round and being primarily remembered as a decision machine despite wrecking people

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

vainman posted:

Aldo's exactly like GSP right down to getting embarrassingly kod in the first round and being primarily remembered as a decision machine despite wrecking people

Aldo fought better fighters, finished more of them and lost to a vastly better fighter than fat lightweight Matt Serra.

Bundt Cake posted:

This is dumbfounding.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I heard somewhere that Max Holloway did not yet have a striking coach when he fought McGregor, which is pretty nuts.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Also because Holloway is insanely good.

Yeah, also this

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He really is. We've got some potentially incredible fights coming up. I'm not the biggest Aldo fan in the world but I don't for a second let that influence my opinion of him as really really really loving good with an easy entry into the GOAT argument.

gently caress Khabib for loving up his weight cut, I was really looking forward to the Ferguson fight. I think there would have been more impetus on Conor to come back and defend a title if there was absolutely no question who he would be fighting next as well.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skip My Posts posted:

Max did way better against Conor

Nate did better.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

DeimosRising posted:

mark hunt is 3 inches taller than aldo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

I think there would have been more impetus on Conor to come back and defend a title if there was absolutely no question who he would be fighting next as well.

I think there'd be more impetus still if his bosses had the sightest bit of spine when it came to him. He's been bypassing the same two dudes during his entire time at lightweight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aldo is compact and muscular, like corned beef. There's a reason he's almost killed himself every other fight to make 145.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Aldo is compact and muscular, like corned beef. There's a reason he's almost killed himself every other fight to make 145.

One of the repeated things in that (excellent) article someone posted was people being really surprised by how athletic and strong he is.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Aldo and Garbrandt are the same size.

Snowman_McK posted:

One of the repeated things in that (excellent) article someone posted was people being really surprised by how athletic and strong he is.

Shaun Al-Shatti's 'The Night We Faced Aldo'.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Time to dig up your "Khabib will never fight for a UFC title" posts, lads.

https://twitter.com/UFCInsiders/status/869906745925283840

Tweet already deleted, so it could have been bullshit. Looked like this.

Memento fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 31, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DeimosRising posted:

thiago alves has the cutest little t rex arms there might be fighters with bigger deficits comparative to height but alves' tiny reach has always seemed conspicuous to me

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If there is one UFC fighter that is composed of mostly corned beef, it is Mark Hunt.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Charles Gnarwin posted:

If there is one UFC fighter that is composed of mostly corned beef, it is Mark Hunt.

Nahh he's 78% by weight KFC.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Memento posted:

Time to dig up your "Khabib will never fight for a UFC title" posts, lads.

https://twitter.com/UFCInsiders/status/869906745925283840

Tweet already deleted, so it could have been bullshit. Looked like this.

There is no way in heaven, earth, or hell that Khabib is a free agent

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rigel posted:

There is no way in heaven, earth, or hell that Khabib is a free agent

I dunno... that account is UFCInsider. They have inside information.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Marching Powder posted:

mark hunt is 3 inches taller than aldo.

Is there any heavyweight shorter than Hunt? Though yeah, Aldo isn't little, his physique is imposing as gently caress and one can only assume he'd be just as dangerous at 155.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

Is there any heavyweight shorter than Hunt? Though yeah, Aldo isn't little, his physique is imposing as gently caress and one can only assume he'd be just as dangerous at 155.

Active? No. But Pat Barry was shorter

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

JaySB posted:

Active? No. But Pat Barry was shorter

monson was shortest

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dom Cruz is commentating on 212.

Hell yes.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Weak

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
vitor belfort has a service dog

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Skip My Posts posted:

vitor belfort has a service dog
It's a drug sniffing dog that can find TRT a mile away.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Right you lot, it's the first of June, we've got a couple of huge months of UFC-branded MMA action coming up with 9 cards in the next 8 weeks. Hit me with some titles and I'll get the new thread up tonight.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/JohnMcCarthyMMA/status/869608788327673856

Oh yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

UFC June - Jerkin and Bangin

• Locked thread