Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Magnus Manfist posted:

It seems like a weird lifecycle to lay eggs in a host, then very quickly burst out, leaving like 90% of the dude uneaten, and go look for a different dude to eat. Most insects that lay eggs in a host would emerge as fully grown adults, do they not? The whole point is that you can eat the host from the inside out, why leave to go hunt out more food before you've finished.

How creepy would it be if the xenomorph went through a phase where it "piloted" the host human, like a horsehair worm.

Edit: Before you Google it, videos about horsehair worms are :nms:

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 21:39 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always get a little annoyed with the metaphor that Remy's dad uses in Ratatouille on the "Food is fuel, if you're picky about what you put in the tank the engine is gonna die" - Most engines need to be picky. You can't run a diesel truck on unleaded petrol, you can't power a steam train with pure kinetic energy and your body cannot digest solid metals or RAT POISON! You absolutely need to be picky especially as Remy's pickiness saved you from literal engineered-to-kill-you-yes-you-if-ingested poison multiple times!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted posted:

I always get a little annoyed with the metaphor that Remy's dad uses in Ratatouille on the "Food is fuel, if you're picky about what you put in the tank the engine is gonna die" - Most engines need to be picky. You can't run a diesel truck on unleaded petrol, you can't power a steam train with pure kinetic energy and your body cannot digest solid metals or RAT POISON! You absolutely need to be picky especially as Remy's pickiness saved you from literal engineered-to-kill-you-yes-you-if-ingested poison multiple times!

You're not supposed to agree with his dad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inzombiac posted:

You're not supposed to agree with his dad.

I know but they literally give him the worst metaphor. It makes his dad look like a total idiot when he's just... stuck.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The point of the entire Harry Potter series is that having a loving family and friends (like Harry does) is more important than being the most powerful wizard (Voldemort). This is why Harry has good friends but isn't particularly talented at anything besides wizard-sports. When he teaches other kids advanced magic in book 5 (or was it 6?) they pick it up pretty easily, so it's not even that he's the chosen one with supermagic, just that Hogwarts isn't particularly challenging as a school.

It's a subtle plot point that becomes explicit at the end of book 5, too, that underneath it all, wizard society is really lovely and backwards and in need of reform.

It's overall one of the good points of the Harry Potter series as a whole that Harry isn't good at everything and the wizarding world isn't full of nice good people with the occasional bumbling fool but is under siege from generic evil wizards.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

rydiafan posted:

How creepy would it be if the xenomorph went through a phase where it "piloted" the host human, like a horsehair worm.

Edit: Before you Google it, videos about horsehair worms are :nms:

This is something really really well done in Dishonored 2: there are these giant mosquito/wasp things that use humans as nests and hosts. There's one phase of the infection where a human is conscious but being directed by the things' gestalt - they will talk to you as if you're the enemy and they'll protect the nests at all costs

Pretty well done and proper creepy.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Magnus Manfist posted:

It seems like a weird lifecycle to lay eggs in a host, then very quickly burst out, leaving like 90% of the dude uneaten, and go look for a different dude to eat. Most insects that lay eggs in a host would emerge as fully grown adults, do they not? The whole point is that you can eat the host from the inside out, why leave to go hunt out more food before you've finished.

Apparently xenomorph blood generates the energy they need to survive??? So they don't need to eat as much as things that don't have pressurized super-acid for blood.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Schubalts posted:

Apparently xenomorph blood generates the energy they need to survive???

Even in stupid Alien world, perpetual motion machines are not a thing

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

This is something really really well done in Dishonored 2: there are these giant mosquito/wasp things that use humans as nests and hosts. There's one phase of the infection where a human is conscious but being directed by the things' gestalt - they will talk to you as if you're the enemy and they'll protect the nests at all costs

Pretty well done and proper creepy.

Where's a zombie movie with this?

Still I am surprised how good The Girl With All The Gifts was. "Wake up, you frigging abortions!" is my new good morning.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Even in stupid Alien world, perpetual motion machines are not a thing

That drinkin' bird drifted through the core system

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I may have complained about this before in this thread but it's kinda obnoxious when there's like a physics guy or whatever on the team and because they are The Scientist they end up doing tons of stuff from other fields of science they probably wouldn't know as well. Like OK you build machines sometimes, that means you can make a cure for this space virus, right?

edit: I feel like the most obvious example of this is Donatello in TMNT. He builds and maintains all their vehicles (and drives/pilots most of them): vans/trucks, blimps, submarines, even poo poo like cars from another dimension that can fly or trains stolen from the government. The invents the fuckin smartphone, in one show he basically invents GPS somehow too. He presumably keeps their secret lairs provided with water and power and phone lines all while somehow keeping their usage secret. Builds dimensional portals and poo poo. Does tons of biologic research. Has to fix the fridge, TVs, computers, etc. Dude probably builds their drat weapons too.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd love for them to do that exact plot but everyone dies because the engineer is anti-vaccine. :v:

This would be pretty hilarious, yes.

Light Gun Man has a new favorite as of 23:02 on May 31, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd love for them to do that exact plot but everyone dies because the engineer is anti-vaccine. :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Light Gun Man posted:

I may have complained about this before in this thread but it's kinda obnoxious when there's like a physics guy or whatever on the team and because they are The Scientist they end up doing tons of stuff from other fields of science they probably wouldn't know as well. Like OK you build machines sometimes, that means you can make a cure for this space virus, right?

Or the similar "I'm not a medical doctor... but OK, I'll give it a go!"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's irrationally freaking me out seeing the actual James Urbaniak on an episode of Supergirl. His voice is too keyed into that voice being Doctor Venture that part of my brain is having issues hearing it out of anything but an animated bald white dude in a track suit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MisterBibs posted:

It's irrationally freaking me out seeing the actual James Urbaniak on an episode of Supergirl. His voice is too keyed into that voice being Doctor Venture that part of my brain is having issues hearing it out of anything but an animated bald white dude in a track suit.

You should watch Review

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tiggum posted:

Or the similar "I'm not a medical doctor... but OK, I'll give it a go!"

There was a great moment like that on, I think, Stargate.

Doctor Daniel Jackson, Egyptologist, was in some big fight and one of the people he was fighting with got hurt. The leader of those people asked him to save the person because, "You're a doctor, aren't you?" and Jackson was all, "Dude, I'm an Egyptologist, I don't know poo poo about medicine!"

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That happened in the latest episode of Lucifer - one of the characters went to a psychiatrist to get patched up, and her solution was to duct tape the wound. (It worked? Sort of?)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gorilla Salad posted:

There was a great moment like that on, I think, Stargate.

Doctor Daniel Jackson, Egyptologist, was in some big fight and one of the people he was fighting with got hurt. The leader of those people asked him to save the person because, "You're a doctor, aren't you?" and Jackson was all, "Dude, I'm an Egyptologist, I don't know poo poo about medicine!"

It is kind of funny though to compare his humble kind of bumbling character at the beginning of the series like that to the dual-wielding pistols buff warrior who ascended to a higher plane of existence because of how great he was (and then was resurrected and became a super-powerful prophet or whatever they called those ori guys temporarily).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Daniel Jackson has over a decade of intense combat experience. I like that they showed him working out in gyms in the later seasons.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

packetmantis posted:

That happened in the latest episode of Lucifer - one of the characters went to a psychiatrist to get patched up, and her solution was to duct tape the wound. (It worked? Sort of?)

That's even stupider though - it would have made sense for her to have attempted to bandage the wound as any idiot knows that that's what you do, and a psychiatrist may at least have a first aid kit in case of a violent patient harming her or himself, but not done a particularly good job.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey, to be fair, the wound was shining a bright light that melted a dude's head and also burnt a hole in the wall.

Cotton pads weren't gonna do poo poo.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It is kind of funny though to compare his humble kind of bumbling character at the beginning of the series like that to the dual-wielding pistols buff warrior who ascended to a higher plane of existence because of how great he was (and then was resurrected and became a super-powerful prophet or whatever they called those ori guys temporarily).

Stargate is a video game and Daniel has a lot of EXP

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

Stargate is a video game and Daniel has a lot of EXP

My IMM is that Stargate seems like to TV what Eve online is to video games. Somehow the amazing stuff you hear the fans describe doesn't come through if you try it yourself.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Hey, to be fair, the wound was shining a bright light that melted a dude's head and also burnt a hole in the wall.

Cotton pads weren't gonna do poo poo.
She had a hole in her finger that was leaking light and just put a bandaid on it though. :shrug:

Imagined posted:

My IMM is that Stargate seems like to TV what Eve online is to video games. Somehow the amazing stuff you hear the fans describe doesn't come through if you try it yourself.
I loved SG-1 when it was actually on, but I tried rewatching it and it's... not good. I don't know if it gets better past season one, but by about half a dozen episodes in it's pretty dire.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Tiggum posted:

She had a hole in her finger that was leaking light and just put a bandaid on it though. :shrug:

I loved SG-1 when it was actually on, but I tried rewatching it and it's... not good. I don't know if it gets better past season one, but by about half a dozen episodes in it's pretty dire.

Season 1 and 2 are very rough. It picks up a bit in mid run then kind of tails off again in the final seasons.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tiggum posted:

On a rewatch what really stands out is that so much of the war with the Goa'uld happens off-screen, and every six episodes you get an update that never really makes sense. It's just a treadmill of one System Lord (admittedly that's an amazing name for your villains) after another, and then oh suddenly we're winning.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Imagined posted:

I've posted about the show before in both this and the subtle movie moments thread because I'm watching it all blind for the very first time. I'm halfway through season 7 now. It took some adjustment to the sheer 90s-ness of it all, but I have to disagree with you. The amazing things described by the fans are absolutely there. It's just that for every awesome episode there's one that's kind of meh, and it takes a bit before it picks up steam and you get invested in the world and characters.

One thing I don't like is that it took until this season to address the fact that weird poo poo happens to them all the loving time and they should be a little more open-minded, but at least they handled it in a pretty funny way. In one episode early in the season O'Neill is changed back to his teenage self, but still carrying all the knowledge and experience etc he had. He goes to the base and has to convince Daniel, Carter, Teal'C and Hammond that he is who he says he is. Despite him looking, acting, and sounding exactly like his former, older, self, nobody takes him seriously. (Kudos to that kid, by the way, he was fun to watch and really nailed O'Neill's mannerisms) They all just assume he's some random kid being a kid. "Do you know how much trouble you're in, young man?" :eyeroll:

The kid goes on a rant: "Okay, you want proof? Carter, you once carried a Tokra named Jolinar who gave her life to save yours. Daniel, until recently you were an ascended being. You broke the rules, you got yourself kicked out of the Oma fanclub and had your memories erased. And you [Teal'C] and Braetac lost your snakes in a Goa'uld ambush. Had your trychtonin yet this morning?"

Tael'C responds: "How could this child possess this knowledge?"

YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER.

The next scene has the rest of them discussing this. Hammond asks how a child could know all that classified information. Finally Carter and Daniel suggest it might actually be him. Hammond is sceptical, because "he can't be more than 15 years old. Are you saying Colonel O'Neill has somehow regressed over 30 years overnight?"
Daniel: "Stranger things have happened."
DENSE MOTHERFUCKER TEAL'C: "Name but one."

And FINALLY it happens. Daniel just starts listing poo poo: "Well... There was the time he got old. The time he was turned into a caveman. The time we all swapped bodies...."

I hope it finally sticks and they're not such stupidly closed minded all the time. Took them long enough the get their head out of their rear end, though.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Taeke posted:

I've posted about the show before in both this and the subtle movie moments thread because I'm watching it all blind for the very first time. I'm halfway through season 7 now. It took some adjustment to the sheer 90s-ness of it all, but I have to disagree with you. The amazing things described by the fans are absolutely there. It's just that for every awesome episode there's one that's kind of meh, and it takes a bit before it picks up steam and you get invested in the world and characters.

One thing I don't like is that it took until this season to address the fact that weird poo poo happens to them all the loving time and they should be a little more open-minded, but at least they handled it in a pretty funny way. In one episode early in the season O'Neill is changed back to his teenage self, but still carrying all the knowledge and experience etc he had. He goes to the base and has to convince Daniel, Carter, Teal'C and Hammond that he is who he says he is. Despite him looking, acting, and sounding exactly like his former, older, self, nobody takes him seriously. (Kudos to that kid, by the way, he was fun to watch and really nailed O'Neill's mannerisms) They all just assume he's some random kid being a kid. "Do you know how much trouble you're in, young man?" :eyeroll:

The kid goes on a rant: "Okay, you want proof? Carter, you once carried a Tokra named Jolinar who gave her life to save yours. Daniel, until recently you were an ascended being. You broke the rules, you got yourself kicked out of the Oma fanclub and had your memories erased. And you [Teal'C] and Braetac lost your snakes in a Goa'uld ambush. Had your trychtonin yet this morning?"

Tael'C responds: "How could this child possess this knowledge?"

YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER.

The next scene has the rest of them discussing this. Hammond asks how a child could know all that classified information. Finally Carter and Daniel suggest it might actually be him. Hammond is sceptical, because "he can't be more than 15 years old. Are you saying Colonel O'Neill has somehow regressed over 30 years overnight?"
Daniel: "Stranger things have happened."
DENSE MOTHERFUCKER TEAL'C: "Name but one."

And FINALLY it happens. Daniel just starts listing poo poo: "Well... There was the time he got old. The time he was turned into a caveman. The time we all swapped bodies...."

I hope it finally sticks and they're not such stupidly closed minded all the time. Took them long enough the get their head out of their rear end, though.

Farscape does this amazingly - in one episode the crew get shrunk and placed in jars. One of them becomes convinced its a ruse because shrinking is impossible - if they scaled down your atoms you wouldn't be able to breathe normal air, and if they removed atoms to compress you you wouldn't have enough connections in your brain to be able to think.

quote:

Sikozu: Don't you see? No. No! This isn't happening because it is not possible.
Rygel: Your brain isn't functioning. Do you think this is all just a hallucination? Do you like that explanation better, hmm?
Sikozu: No, but I simply cannot comprehend-
Rygel: Neither can I. Who cares? We're here, they did it, and that's that. You consider yourself intelligent?
Sikozu: Yes, I do.
Rygel: Then stop behaving like a child.
Sikozu: I am not a child!
Rygel: No, you're an infant! You've studied but you haven't experienced. You know nothing of life!
Sikozu: And you do?
Rygel: I've been around long enough to know how ignorant I am. I don't assume the universe obeys my preconceptions. Huh! But I know a frelling fact when it hits me in the face!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Farscape does this amazingly - in one episode the crew get shrunk and placed in jars. One of them becomes convinced its a ruse because shrinking is impossible - if they scaled down your atoms you wouldn't be able to breathe normal air, and if they removed atoms to compress you you wouldn't have enough connections in your brain to be able to think.

I tried getting into Farscape a couple of months ago. It just didn't click for me, even though I'm a big fan of the space opera genre. I don't know why but it felt really, really dated in a way that Stargate doesn't. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Stargate is relatively light on the actual aliens and alien tech aspect because it's mainly about humans and humans possessed by parasites. In the earlier seasons the Asgard rubbed me the wrong way as Farscape did because they looked like the cheap props they were. Luckily in later seasons they got the CGI going well enough that the mouths actually move semi-realistically. I'm glad they dropped the ridiculous giant helmets pretty quickly for the same reason. Less is more.
Maybe I'll give Farscape another shot after the summer when I'm done with the Stargate franchise.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I tried rewatching Stargate as an adult. The pilot had more full frontal nudity and rape than I expected from a cheesy daytime sci-fi adventure.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

I tried rewatching Stargate as an adult. The pilot had more full frontal nudity and rape than I expected from a cheesy daytime sci-fi adventure.

Yeah that was a relic of it being first run on the Showtime network. Every other time it's been broadcast that's been cut out. I think even the DVD re-release had that removed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Taeke posted:

I tried getting into Farscape a couple of months ago. It just didn't click for me, even though I'm a big fan of the space opera genre. I don't know why but it felt really, really dated in a way that Stargate doesn't. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Stargate is relatively light on the actual aliens and alien tech aspect because it's mainly about humans and humans possessed by parasites. In the earlier seasons the Asgard rubbed me the wrong way as Farscape did because they looked like the cheap props they were. Luckily in later seasons they got the CGI going well enough that the mouths actually move semi-realistically. I'm glad they dropped the ridiculous giant helmets pretty quickly for the same reason. Less is more.
Maybe I'll give Farscape another shot after the summer when I'm done with the Stargate franchise.

I would say Farscape is far less dated than Stargate SG-1. But they're fairly different shows for other reasons. SG-1 is an action adventure serial about good guys fighting bad guys and meeting weird aliens. Farscape is about a bunch of dumb arseholes getting involved in conflicts with other dumb arseholes and each other, and occasionally overcoming their own issues to do something good for a change.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I would say Farscape is far less dated than Stargate SG-1. But they're fairly different shows for other reasons. SG-1 is an action adventure serial about good guys fighting bad guys and meeting weird aliens. Farscape is about a bunch of dumb arseholes getting involved in conflicts with other dumb arseholes and each other, and occasionally overcoming their own issues to do something good for a change.

So Farscape is basically Legends of Tomorrow - 90s Edition?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Farscape is also good because the one human character doesn't immediately become the heroic, always right, leader of the crew.

In fact, there's a whole great bunch of episodes where he slowly loses his mind from the stress of not knowing anything about the space he's now in, of living with alien arseholes who don't care about him in the slightest and of being totally out of his depth.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gorilla Salad posted:

Farscape is also good because the one human character doesn't immediately become the heroic, always right, leader of the crew.

In fact, there's a whole great bunch of episodes where he slowly loses his mind from the stress of not knowing anything about the space he's now in, of living with alien arseholes who don't care about him in the slightest and of being totally out of his depth.

CRACKERS

DON'T

MATTER

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

That was a tiny hole on her wrist and the bandaid had a burn mark too :colbert:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Taeke posted:

The first season is wonky as hell - they filmed and released it in a weird order so it's all a bit spotty. Once S2 and the aforementioned mental breakdowns start it becomes something very special.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The first season is wonky as hell - they filmed and released it in a weird order so it's all a bit spotty. Once S2 and the aforementioned mental breakdowns start it becomes something very special.

I'll definitely give it another try then, probably with a viewing guide so I can skip the filler episodes and keep the momentum going until I'm invested enough.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What episode is the one where everyone is being real shitheads about crackers? I couldn't finish that episode because they were such assholes the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Kruller posted:

What episode is the one where everyone is being real shitheads about crackers? I couldn't finish that episode because they were such assholes the entire time.

"Crackers Don't Matter", also known as one of the best episodes they ever made.