Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I always liked TJ Miller in acting stuff and in interviews, and I'm really sad about him apparently being a dick and about him leaving the show. :smith:

get that OUT of my face posted:

Sometimes you gotta step back, take a deep breath, and read this article about internet outrage culture to put things into perspective. It's been two and a half years since Drew Magary wrote this and it only gets proven more right with every stupid internet take.
I really thought this was going to be an article about the anti-outrage culture culture.

Like if someone makes a tweet criticising a show over something dumb, maybe you just shrug it off and carry on with your lives like the rest of the world (and the show!) will - instead of writing a big article about it? Because quite often the outcry over an outcry is like a thousand times bigger than the initial thing. This isn't me doing some truth is in the middle bullshit, just wish people would gain the ability to brush off bad criticism instead of frothing at the mouth about censorship or whatever.

My favourite writer had it pointed out that the ending of his book treats a lesbian being married to a king and forced to make heirs as a kind of victory and he went "oh, right, that is a bit hosed up. My bad. I mishandled that and I'll be more careful about ~~implications~~ in the future." Then he was. And it was fine.

I always go back to the controversy about ten years ago over a Resident Evil 5 trailer that accidentally looked like a Klansman's wet dream. ONE black writer goes "er, this was probably unintentional but it's super tone deaf and a bit messed up." And then this entire Other Side Of The Argument appears in mad hordes of people shouting "ZOMBIE GAME NOT RACIST STOP TRYING TO BAN IT YOU NAZIS" and the hypothetical person they're all shouting about never actually existed. The counter-controversy to the tiny controversy is this big stupid rampaging beast that starts including actual racists.

And now that's the constant cycle we live in and this whole anti-SJW movement or some other acronymised nonsense. One person says something stupid on Tumblr (or was y'know, just a photoshopped screencap on 4chan) and that now represents the entire spectrum of feminism to be argued to death by shouty pompous youtube fascists?

And now I'm adding to this nonsense by writing a big stupid post in response to generalised outrage that was in response to some generalised "outrage". The internet might just be a snake eating its own cloaca forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I think that's a fair point. Saw an article this morning that a single person no one's ever heard of said he was uncomfortable that a Japanese man won the Indy 500, so now the internet racing community is up in arms. Or, you know, a single person said a thing that no one else agreed with. Kinda like when I post.

e: I love your post. A lot.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 31, 2017

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

"Random nobody on Twitter says dumb thing" has been a lazy journalist genre for like 6 or 7 years now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Regarding the guy who pissed off the Internet by saying he was uncomfortable that a Japanese guy won the race... well, I agree that we have to keep perspective, and that's something that's harder and harder to do with the current Internet outrage culture. But while keeping perspective, we should at least try to keep perspective. This random nobody on Twitter was a sportswriter for a major city's newspaper. He was tweeting about a sports event that he was covering. His tweet had a fairly noticeable racist tone to it--even if unintentional, he should have known how it would look to most people. His tweet would have been fine 70 years ago. Hell, maybe 60 or 50 years ago. But it's 2017. It doesn't take online rage enthusiasts to make a mountain out of a mountain. (And I know, I know. It's not a mountain. But, it's more than a molehill, and the idiom I'm referencing includes only those two landforms.)

The only thing with this situation is that instead of just being quietly fired by his editor in Denver after a few complaints came in (assuming it got that far), this guy was on Twitter, so everybody in the nation (and Anglosphere) got to get their kicks in.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I love this show and don't want to see the cause of evangelizing how great this comedy is get contorted by so-called free speech warriors as a way to bash essjaydoubleyous or whatever.

When I criticize a movie and tv show, I have to play these weird exercises with my semantics to make it entirely clear what I am and am not criticizing, and to make it abundantly clear that the criticisms are coming from an honest place, and are not some cynical, procedural complaints for clickbait or whatever. It's usually quite clear when a counter-criticism is not so much about an argument's flaws, but annoyance that a discussion is happening at all.

Whether or not the writer was motivated by page views, I can assure you there are probably hundreds or thousands of more people who feel the same way. Be very careful how you dismiss these criticisms.

Jin Yang and Dinesh are fully realized comedic characters. With Dinesh, it's not so often that a Pakistani guy gets to be an rear end in a top hat on TV that's our rear end in a top hat, which is part of the reason why I like him as a character so much.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

tarlibone posted:

Regarding the guy who pissed off the Internet by saying he was uncomfortable that a Japanese guy won the race...

Someone have a link to this? It sounds so bizarre I kinda want to read it now. Like it can't just be "But Asians are bad drivers!" right?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Someone have a link to this? It sounds so bizarre I kinda want to read it now. Like it can't just be "But Asians are bad drivers!" right?

I haven't seen the original, but I'd guess it's more "a Japanese guy won ON MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!1!!1"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sportswriters-tweet-about-japanese-indy-500-winner-causes-a-stir_us_592c128ee4b0065b20b7769c

quote:

Nothing specifically personal, but I am very uncomfortable with a Japanese driver winning the Indianapolis 500 during Memorial Day weekend.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

His explanation makes it even better. Tries to justify it because his dad was a WW2 vet.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Sorry I kinda caused this derail, but yeah it's just one of those tweets where you should go "oh, huh, well, you're wrong, moving on", but instead of moving on, it generated about 750 different indignant articles.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

His explanation makes it even better. Tries to justify it because his dad was a WW2 vet.

Well, he was doomed from the get-go. See, by saying that his upcoming comment was not based on anything "specifically personal," he pretty much admitted that what he was about to say was based on something much more broad in scope than this man's personal identity or traits. By invoking race and nationality, he identified that broad scope as race. Essentially, he said, "I don't want anyone to mistake what I'm about to say as pertaining to this particular individual as a man, because what I want to convey is that it bothers me that a non-white foreigner won this race."

And let's not forget that we're talking about Indianapolis, the heart of the Midwest. The only non-white people living there are the ones who got lost or ran out of money while heading literally anywhere else.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Sorry I kinda caused this derail, but yeah it's just one of those tweets where you should go "oh, huh, well, you're wrong, moving on", but instead of moving on, it generated about 750 different indignant articles.

I'd agree if this were just some random moron. A sportswriter, on the other hand... well, that his job was covering sports makes his comment much worse, and on a couple different levels. I expect--nay, demand--blatant racism from, say, a guy at a NASCAR event who's wearing at least four confederate flags. Mild racism from a professional sports writer or announcer, on the other hand, is worse. It's a higher standards thing.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

mrmcd posted:

"Random nobody on Twitter says dumb thing" has been a lazy journalist genre for like 6 or 7 years now.

PREDICTABLY, FRAGILE MEN ARE THREATENED BY MOVIE STARRING FEMALE ie we found 4 angry tweets on the internet about it
159,000 likes
83,000 shares

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

tarlibone posted:

And let's not forget that we're talking about Indianapolis, the heart of the Midwest. The only non-white people living there are the ones who got lost or ran out of money while heading literally anywhere else.

Indianapolis is not nearly as white as you think it is.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Harton posted:

Indianapolis is not nearly as white as you think it is.

Uhm, excuse me, but I've been to Indianapolis. It was during the 89th run of the Indianapolis 500 (the one where Danica Patrick led for a number of laps). I was camping in the big campground near the Speedway. All I saw were white people. I think there might have been 7 black folks there (black being the non-white, or other, race). Therefore, Indianapolis is pretty much all white.

Ipso facto.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Turns out people live in Indianapolis without going to the Indy 500.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

Turns out people live in Indianapolis without going to the Indy 500.

lmao yeah sure

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

tarlibone posted:

Uhm, excuse me, but I've been to Indianapolis. It was during the 89th run of the Indianapolis 500 (the one where Danica Patrick led for a number of laps). I was camping in the big campground near the Speedway. All I saw were white people. I think there might have been 7 black folks there (black being the non-white, or other, race). Therefore, Indianapolis is pretty much all white.

Ipso facto.

Found the most pretentious, annoying post on the forums. It's almost as if you're deliberately checking troll-boxes. Starting a post unironically with "uhm, excuse me"; use of "ipso facto"; passing off anecdotes as data. You're either trying to be a (bad) troll or entirely obtuse.

I saw an announcement that TJ Miller was going to elaborate on the departure yesterday with EW but can't seem to find anything pertaining to it. I've seen both that he was fired and that he left and nothing entirely definitive yet.

I wonder if they'll keep the house.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Tj miller looked bored or fed up a number of times delivering his lines this season. Not totally surprised

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
For what it's worth, Indianapolis and Fort Worth are actually both really nice towns.

Just answering a question nobody asked.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Tj miller looked bored or fed up a number of times delivering his lines this season. Not totally surprised

maybe they cut off his weed supply on the set?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWOGbu5BcT0

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 1, 2017

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mortanis posted:

Found the most pretentious, annoying post on the forums. It's almost as if you're deliberately checking troll-boxes. Starting a post unironically with "uhm, excuse me"; use of "ipso facto"; passing off anecdotes as data. You're either trying to be a (bad) troll or entirely obtuse.

... or I was being sarcastic. Ironic, if you will. Actual ironic, though, not Alanis Morissette ironic. I'm honestly not sure how you read that post and didn't do it with an absurdly sarcastic tone playing in your head. Seriously, it's like you're the only person who has never heard of sarcasm and you're describing, in real time, what you think is going on with this post as you try to figure it out. It's like I'm--no, we're all--watching you discover sarcasm for the first time. It'd be wondrous to behold if it weren't so weird.

Unless you're being sarcastic now.

Uh-oh. This is going to be one of those rabbit hole things, isn't it? Don't answer that! It'll only make my head spin in circles more.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why Haley Joel Osment Could Be Silicon Valley’s New Superstar

Ughhhhhhhhhhh

Anyone else think Osment could be the "familiar face" to replace TJ Miller like Ashton Kutcher replacing Charlie Sheen?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhh

Anyone else think Osment could be the "familiar face" to replace TJ Miller like Ashton Kutcher replacing Charlie Sheen?

Not really, Osment would be joining a show that's good.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Osment is also super funny.

see: comedy bing bong

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Erlichs comments about his tits had me laughing so hard I had to pause it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhh

Well, yeah, I can see that.

I don't know for sure that it'd be a bad thing. I don't think I've seen the kid act since... well, since he was a kid.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

So would he then fill the "guy with weird facial hair" role?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Well, yeah, I can see that.

I don't know for sure that it'd be a bad thing. I don't think I've seen the kid act since... well, since he was a kid.

He was good in Alpha House.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

i am the bird posted:

comedy bing bong

Whenever I see that I think Peppercorn Bing Bong and I just realized Eric Andre replacing TJ Miller would be the only appropriate choice

Also through Google I just found out TJ Miller and Eric Andre did an episode of Jeselnik Offensive together in 2013 and I must find that

EDIT:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ioq7yv/the-jeselnik-offensive-t-j--miller-s-mask

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/u9ovhm/the-jeselnik-offensive-defending-your-tweet---eric-andre---t-j--miller

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 1, 2017

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
How about we replace TJ with Jason Mantzoukas?

Hell, have some fun with it. Just have Mantzoukas come out playing Erlich, and doing it in his own style. Never explain the change. Go straight-up soap opera on it!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Bobby Digital posted:

He was good in Alpha House.
I have five episodes left in that show. Not sure if I want it to be over. :(

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Things seemed a little meaner this week. A little crueler.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tarlibone posted:

How about we replace TJ with Jason Mantzoukas?

Hell, have some fun with it. Just have Mantzoukas come out playing Erlich, and doing it in his own style. Never explain the change. Go straight-up soap opera on it!

Dear lord no.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Well, as long as they don't go all Judy Winslow with Erlich, I think it'll be OK.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Didn't Osment play the exact same character in the terrible Entourage movie?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tarlibone posted:

Well, as long as they don't go all Judy Winslow with Erlich, I think it'll be OK.

There are no stairs in that house

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Didn't Osment play the exact same character in the terrible Entourage movie?

lmao if entourage and silicon valley are an extended universe

it would kinda work

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao if entourage and silicon valley are an extended universe

it would kinda work

"Richard gets da funding!" is the new "Vinnie makes da movie!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

There are no stairs in that house

Stupid FARK assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EugeneJ posted:

"Richard gets da funding!" is the new "Vinnie makes da movie!"

they need to get john mcaffee or an analog of him on the show as an antagonistic neighbour like busey

• Locked thread